HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where was Lowe on McGratton???

Old
06-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Where was Lowe on McGratton???

I had been satisfied with the offseason up until 2PM today, then a minor set back when I hear that Brian McGratton is picked up by the Yotes for a 5th round pick. A 5th ROUND PICK!?!? Come on Kevin! Even if MacTavish won't use him often, it's still nice to have that bullet in the chamber if you are going up against Calgary, Minnesota or Anaheim. He's one of the top if not THE top heavyweight in the league, and the guy can play a little too. While I believe Stortini is a little better player then McGratt's, he can't touch him as a fighter and it's exactly what Hemsky wanted/needs. I would have easily given Bryan Murray a 4th round pick for him.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:15 PM
40oz

Not enough roster spots, pass on McGratton.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Stortini has a roster spot. Yes?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Stortini has a roster spot. Yes?
I'd argue Stortini brings more to the game, unless you're going for a pure pugilist. I think the issue is we need to add more "toughness" throughout the roster, and not just embodied in one player.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Petro Points

would work if we iced 4 forwards and 1 Dman... but then again we already have 8 NHL dmen.

PHO is having a pretty decent offseason thus far. If only we could blow up our team and start from scratch... We wouldnt be stuck with 10M worth of pluggers in <Stoll, Torres, Moreau, Pisani, Souray and Roloson> .. make that 18M that we couldve spent elsewhere.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'd argue Stortini brings more to the game, unless you're going for a pure pugilist. I think the issue is we need to add more "toughness" throughout the roster, and not just embodied in one player.
Yeah but Cloned that's not happening either. At least we get tougher with McGratton and you know that some players grow an inch when they have a guy like this to watch there back. Raffi Torres MIGHT be one of those players.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
You could certainly argue it but it isn't there. So who do you dump to get more toughness?

Souray and Moreau shouldn't, Smid only does it after the whistle, Penner, Torres, Stoll and Horcoff just skate away when Hemsky gets run and Stortini is not up to the job.

Sam showed some cajones though.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
would work if we iced 4 forwards and 1 Dman... but then again we already have 8 NHL dmen.

PHO is having a pretty decent offseason thus far. If only we could blow up our team and start from scratch... We wouldnt be stuck with 10M worth of pluggers in <Stoll, Torres, Moreau, Pisani, Souray and Roloson> .. make that 18M that we couldve spent elsewhere.
And that's a huge amount of coin. Nearly 40 percent of the cap.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yeah, I think we could have made room Why do we have to have 12 forwards that play the exact same way??? Detroit doesn't even build there team that way, they went out and got Downey and brought back McCarty.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
You could certainly argue it but it isn't there. So who do you dump to get more toughness?

Souray and Moreau shouldn't, Smid only does it after the whistle, Penner, Torres, Stoll and Horcoff just skate away when Hemsky gets run and Stortini is not up to the job.

Sam showed some cajones though.
But you do agree that Stortini brings more to the game, no? McGratton is slow as heck - he's probably on par with Eric Godard in not bringing anything to the game but fighting. Neil, Fisher and Volchenkov are the ones who bring it for the Sens imo.

Who can we bring in? That's a tough question, and I certainly don't have any answers.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Yeah, I think we could have made room Why do we have to have 12 forwards that play the exact same way??? Detroit doesn't even build there team that way, they went out and got Downey and brought back McCarty.
And McGratton's only making 630k...easy to find room for that.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
I had been satisfied with the offseason up until 2PM today, then a minor set back when I hear that Brian McGratton is picked up by the Yotes for a 5th round pick. A 5th ROUND PICK!?!? Come on Kevin! Even if MacTavish won't use him often, it's still nice to have that bullet in the chamber if you are going up against Calgary, Minnesota or Anaheim. He's one of the top if not THE top heavyweight in the league, and the guy can play a little too. While I believe Stortini is a little better player then McGratt's, he can't touch him as a fighter and it's exactly what Hemsky wanted/needs. I would have easily given Bryan Murray a 4th round pick for him.
Totally agree, I said this in another thread that I would of luved McGratton and Lowe also said that he was seeking some toughness and a top 6. So far Jokinen and McGratton are gone. Some posters wil argue that Stortini is a better all round player, so I guess they'll keep running Hemsky

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
djmarcopolo

honestly I will never understand the obsession with toughness and having that one big player that so many of you spend so much time. We dont need that one player, look at the wings, did they fight their way to the cup? a team like anaheim had scorers and a goalie that won the cup and their toughness was team toughness, not to say everyone was a rock but they all knew their roles and didnt let each other down in respect to that.
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And that's a huge amount of coin. Nearly 40 percent of the cap.
Even just taking out Roloson, Pisani, and Torres would save 5.35 (after replacements) at the LEAST. JDD, O'Marra (though not on the 3rd line, you could bump Brodziak there), and Pouliot can easily fill these roles.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

Where do we play him.

We have too many third and fourth liners as it is.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
But you do agree that Stortini brings more to the game, no? McGratton is slow as heck - he's probably on par with Eric Godard in not bringing anything to the game but fighting. Neil, Fisher and Volchenkov are the ones who bring it for the Sens imo.

Who can we bring in? That's a tough question, and I certainly don't have any answers.
Yes. Stortini does, but marginally. And the fact that Neil, Fisher and Volchenkov are tough buggers shows you why the Sens could let McGratton go.

The Oilers don't have anyone that tough.

I expect you'll see Phoenix use Carcillo in games against skill teams but trot out McGratton when San Jose, Minnesota and Dallas come to town. Boogard won't be taking liberties with Turris when he's around.

Old
Game 8

vCash: 50
It sure would be a nice change to see someone run Regehrs head through the boards, rather than watch him do that to Hemsky..

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarcopolo View Post
honestly I will never understand the obsession with toughness and having that one big player that so many of you spend so much time. We dont need that one player, look at the wings, did they fight their way to the cup? a team like anaheim had scorers and a goalie that won the cup and their toughness was team toughness, not to say everyone was a rock but they all knew their roles and didnt let each other down in respect to that.
cheers
Yeah I've never understood that either bud....say on a totally unrelated topic, how many man games did we lose to injury in 04 and 06 compared to 07 and 08....you know, pre and post Laraque being here.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:34 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Where do we play him.

Bye bye Stortini.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Yes. Stortini does, but marginally. And the fact that Neil, Fisher and Volchenkov are tough buggers shows you why the Sens could let McGratton go.

The Oilers don't have anyone that tough.

I expect you'll see Phoenix use Carcillo in games against skill teams but trot out McGratton when San Jose, Minnesota and Dallas come to town. Boogard won't be taking liberties with Turris when he's around.
Adding McGratton wouldn't have solved anything though, imo. He'd play once every 5 games or against divisional opponents at home. On the road, they'd exploit whichever line he's on, and he'd end up riding the bench and play all of 5 minutes a game. It eventually becomes a dreary decision whether to scratch out a useful forward to get him into a game. Waiver wire would soon follow, imo.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Where do we play him.

Like I said, I wouldn't care if he was in the press box 40 games a year. It's just nice to have that guy around for the games vs Minny, Calgary, Anaheim, etc. I'm extremely sick of guys like Hemsky getting run all the time. As for me, I would play him over Stortini despite the fact I think Storts is a little better. For our team, having the muscle is more important.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Hemsky4PM

Two words:

Hordichuk-Shelley

Both are UFAs July 1st and are better all around players than McGratton. Lowe wants to add toughness and I'm sure both these guys are in their sights.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Like I said, I wouldn't care if he was in the press box 40 games a year. It's just nice to have that guy around for the games vs Minny, Calgary, Anaheim, etc. I'm extremely sick of guys like Hemsky getting run all the time. As for me, I would play him over Stortini despite the fact I think Storts is a little better. For our team, having the muscle is more important.
It's not going to be a deterrent. Regehr is still going to run Hemsky - and if McGratton challenges him, Regehr likely walks away. With this kind of solo pugilist mentality, McGratton would fight Godard, or whichever enforcer the Flames have, or no one would accept and McGratton would receive a roughing penalty.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Schitzo

Quote:
The problem is the 23-man limit. Assuming the oilers keep JDD up here because they don't want to risk him on waivers, we're carrying 21 already. A 7th defenceman brings us to 22.

So with our one remaining roster spot yet, do you want a utility forward like Pouliot or Reasoner, or use it on a goon? I think McGratton is too one-dimensional to use like that.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
The problem is the 23-man limit. Assuming the oilers keep JDD up here because they don't want to risk him on waivers, we're carrying 21 already. A 7th defenceman brings us to 22.

So with our one remaining roster spot yet, do you want a utility forward like Pouliot or Reasoner, or use it on a goon? I think McGratton is too one-dimensional to use like that.
These are my thoughts as well. I'm all for adding toughness, but McGratton isn't the right guy imo.