HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames put Nilson, Warrener, and Eriksson on waivers

Old
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Ticonderoga
For the Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames 4 Life View Post
perhaps if you are going to debate you should educate yourself on players positions, offensive production, potential. But hey I wouldn't expect an educated opinion from you.

Boyd to begin with is a LW. Owen Nolan is gonna sign in Calgary. So you whole thing I would rather have Boyd Lombardi Nolan combo than Burrows-Kessler-Pettinger. Did I mention you have to sign a whole 2nd line..
Do not argue with most Nucks fans about the Flames. I live out in Vancouver and you will spend about 30min explaining who even plays for calgary before they begin to understand. My favorite reaction was when I mentioned that Byron Richie used to play for Calgary my co-worker did not believe me and almost crapped himself when he looked it up online. Hell some of them did not even think Calgary made playoffs last year, too funny.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
AgentNaslund*

vCash: 500
Nillson would be nice.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Do not argue with most Nucks fans about the Flames. I live out in Vancouver and you will spend about 30min explaining who even plays for calgary before they begin to understand. My favorite reaction was when I mentioned that Byron Richie used to play for Calgary my co-worker did not believe me and almost crapped himself when he looked it up online. Hell some of them did not even think Calgary made playoffs last year, too funny.
It goes both ways my friend. The bottom line is neither team has much to brag about these days.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:09 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
Laugh all you want, but both Wellwood and Raymond have have shown themselves to be better scorers already than Lombardi has.
I love Raymond, but what has he proved over Lombardi? Lombardi will be a second liner, top pk and probably get some PP time. Raymond will be on your 3rd or 4th line? I fail to see how Raymond has shown he is a better scorer then Lombardi.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Realistically, the Flames only need one or two players on the UFA market in the 3 million dollar range (They have 12 million to spend if the 3 on waivers are in QC or elsewhere)

Conroy and Nystrom are expected to sign for small amounts. Nolan has been seen around town the past couple days with his wife and considering he lives in SJ, it's a little unusual unless he's on the verge of being brought back.

Vandermeer or quality replacement should get around 2 million and a backup, whether it's McElhinney or otherwise should get around a million.

Assuming that Nystrom, Conroy, and Nolan's contracts add up to about 4.5 million (1, 1.5, 2 respectively) that's 4.5 million dollars left to spend on 2 forwards, when we have several that could easily make the jump into one of the positions.
One or two 3 million dollar players= 6 million
Vandemeer of qual replacement= 8 million
Nystrom, Conroy,Nolan = 12.5 million
Then two forwards, a back up, and 7th d-man. =minimum 14.5 million

That's already over the cap without considering that the Flames will want to leave some breathing room for cap flexiblity.

Scratch one of those 3million dollar players= 11.5 million. That leaves only 500k below the cap. Downgrade that 3million player to a two million dollar player to give some cap cushion.

Good luck signing a top six forward with that amount of cash.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 924
The Flames cap situation seems to be pretty well-documented by fans and non-fans alike but regardless of how its going to turn out the last week has been promising. With a week to go until free agency who knows what else might happen.

Heres hoping Sutter crunched the numbers better than some Vancouver fan on a message board. If not, **** it, we have Iginla.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
One or two 3 million dollar players= 6 million
Vandemeer of qual replacement= 8 million
Nystrom, Conroy,Nolan = 12.5 million
Then two forwards, a back up, and 7th d-man. =minimum 14.5 million

That's already over the cap without considering that the Flames will want to leave some breathing room for cap flexiblity.

Scratch one of those 3million dollar players= 11.5 million. That leaves only 500k below the cap. Downgrade that 3million player to a two million dollar player to give some cap cushion.

Good luck signing a top six forward with that amount of cash.
you have the flames filling 10 roster spots... they dont need 10 players... im not saying these will happen but for example the Flames could sign Ryder & Tucker for say 6 million combined... resign Conroy @ 1.5... sign Vandermeer... i'll even use the 2 million you have listed... say Auld at 600k... then Pardy and Prust signing as RFAs...

so that would give the Flames Ryder, Tucker, Conroy, Langkow, Iginla, Cammalleri, Boyd, Lombardi, Primeau, Moss and Prust (12 forwards... Vandermeer, Phaneuf, Regehr, Sarich, Aucoin, Giordano & Pardy (7 defensemen)... then Kipper and say Auld...

im not figuring out the numbers but if thats over the cap... then it wont be by much

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Calgary's offense:

Iginla
Langkow
Cammalleri
Lombardi
Primeau
Boyd
Moss

.... who else? Van Der Gulik, Backlund, Prust, Chucko. Damn, that team is seriously gonna have to dive into the free agent market.
Chucko isn't close to the NHL yet. Add Nystrom, and one of Conroy/Nolan. That's 9, leaving the Flames with 3 spots to fill out 4 lines. Then you can dip into the Prusts, Godards of the world and have 4-5ish million for one more regular forward and some random league minimum guy. Still a bit of a predicament but not so bleak.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
As for Nilson, Keenan doesn't like him so he's gone. It looks like Calgary is going to have to put up with the Keenan/Sutter regime for a while - for better or worse. I'd personally rather see Primeau move along because he makes more and contributes less than Nilson, but he'll be retained for his one and only redeeming quality: size. He's overrated on the pk and defensively, scores less than Nilson while seeing way more ice time and games and is soft as a marshmallow.
The situation Nilson finds himself in now has nothing to do with Keenan. He was playing like garbage under Playfair, too. He's not the Nilson of old, injuries have taken their toll on him. Plus the Flames have better penalty killers.

kolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Chucko isn't close to the NHL yet. Add Nystrom, and one of Conroy/Nolan. That's 9, leaving the Flames with 3 spots to fill out 4 lines. Then you can dip into the Prusts, Godards of the world and have 4-5ish million for one more regular forward and some random league minimum guy. Still a bit of a predicament but not so bleak.
According my numbers, the Flames have roughly $18M in cap spcace (with this most recent waiver) to spend on 8-10 roster spots. It's not nearly as dire many think. If Nystrom, Coinroy or Nolan return -- it will be at a discount. Conroy especially. Not only could the Flames acquire a $4-5M forward, they could also acquire a $4-5M defenceman and still have $8-10M left over for the remaining 6-8 positions (mostly bottom six, bottom pairing, and backup goaltending roles).

kolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos View Post
According my numbers, the Flames have roughly $18M in cap spcace (with this most recent waiver) to spend on 8-10 roster spots. It's not nearly as dire many think. If Nystrom, Coinroy or Nolan return -- it will be at a discount. Conroy especially. Not only could the Flames acquire a $4-5M forward, they could also acquire a $4-5M defenceman and still have $8-10M left over for the remaining 6-8 positions (mostly bottom six, bottom pairing, and backup goaltending roles).
They do have close to $18 million, but remember that $4-5 million forward is Langkow. That puts the number closer to $12M to sign 9 players I believe.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:22 AM
hanrahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
They do have close to $18 million, but remember that $4-5 million forward is Langkow. That puts the number closer to $12M to sign 9 players I believe.
12m$ and 9 players, :-------D

hanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Not really, because the team could just throw them in the minors if they have no class.

Really, Calgary has the kind of loot to just throw $5M in salary to the minors to save cap room?

If that's the case, I suspect the NHLPA will have a hayday when the next CBA is negotiated.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
Really, Calgary has the kind of loot to just throw $5M in salary to the minors to save cap room?

If that's the case, I suspect the NHLPA will have a hayday when the next CBA is negotiated.
lets see... the Flames ownership is a group of oil tycoons... they have money coming of places it shouldn't... the flames are among the top teams when it comes to revenue right now... and no one has gone to the minors... in fact i think its too early to demote them.... i believe that anyone going to the minors that is subject to waivers will have to be waived again prior to opening night

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you have the flames filling 10 roster spots... they dont need 10 players... im not saying these will happen but for example the Flames could sign Ryder & Tucker for say 6 million combined... resign Conroy @ 1.5... sign Vandermeer... i'll even use the 2 million you have listed... say Auld at 600k... then Pardy and Prust signing as RFAs...

so that would give the Flames Ryder, Tucker, Conroy, Langkow, Iginla, Cammalleri, Boyd, Lombardi, Primeau, Moss and Prust (12 forwards... Vandermeer, Phaneuf, Regehr, Sarich, Aucoin, Giordano & Pardy (7 defensemen)... then Kipper and say Auld...

im not figuring out the numbers but if thats over the cap... then it wont be by much
I'd sure hope not...I was thinking 3.5 - 4.5 combined

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
andy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
You missed one...

It's...

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler.....$20 MILLION DOLLARS IN CAP SPACE.

Have both of the Sedins, have 20 mill in cap space, heck even have Roberto luongo's wife but one thing you not have is JAROME IGINLA

andy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Ticonderoga
For the Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
It goes both ways my friend. The bottom line is neither team has much to brag about these days.
Well I would agree to that but I am in the Vancouver area so I only see it from one side.

As for bragging I like the way the Flames are going and we still have a handful of stars on our team, it may not be the Penguins but at least we can still build a contender in a reasonably short amount of time.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:11 AM
HuskyFlames

Sutter always quietly gets the job done and ices a competitive team.

This year will be no different IMO.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote