HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jani Rita's 6:01 of fame

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
  #1
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,230
vCash: 500
Jani Rita's 6:01 of fame

So did JR just play his way off the team or is MacT going to recommend that Lowe sign him to a ten year, fifty million dollar deal? Like, he's had his chance already eh?

Just wondering who his linemates were and anything else of note.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 10:52 PM
  #2
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
So did JR just play his way off the team or is MacT going to recommend that Lowe sign him to a ten year, fifty million dollar deal? Like, he's had his chance already eh?

Just wondering who his linemates were and anything else of note.

I giggled when I read this. I would give money to see your face when you read this:

Jani Rita lined up on the left side, I believe his center was Bishai. I do know, however that the other winger on the line was Scott Ferguson.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 10:54 PM
  #3
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,965
vCash: 500
You must remember that the RR played yesterday against Binghampton. I'm pretty sure Rita played in that game. They also played against the Red Wings and it was his first game with the big club this season.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 10:55 PM
  #4
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
So did JR just play his way off the team or is MacT going to recommend that Lowe sign him to a ten year, fifty million dollar deal? Like, he's had his chance already eh?

Just wondering who his linemates were and anything else of note.
Seems Bishai was his centre with either Ferguson or Laraque and 1 shift with hemsky.

 
Old
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
  #5
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I giggled when I read this. I would give money to see your face when you read this:

Jani Rita lined up on the left side, I believe his center was Bishai. I do know, however that the other winger on the line was Scott Ferguson.
When I read that I giggled too...but it wasn't a 'tickled pink' giggle, it was more of a 'Good God, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...' giggle.

Seriously...SCOTT FERGUSON?

We couldn't afford to call up Salmelainen, even for one game?

To me, that's just rock bottom penny pinching.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 11:06 PM
  #6
o98
Registered User
 
o98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to o98
Ferguson?

At least last season he had Cleary on his line. (if I remember correctly)
If ever there was a sitation with FAILURE written all over it, this is it.

That was your final chance Jani. You blew it.

o98 is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 11:13 PM
  #7
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I giggled when I read this. I would give money to see your face when you read this:

Jani Rita lined up on the left side, I believe his center was Bishai. I do know, however that the other winger on the line was Scott Ferguson.
I had about ten different emotions simultaneously, all I could do was laugh and shake my head at the same time.

*sigh*

hmmmmm.

*pffffft*

I honestly don't know what to say.

Exasperation is probably the right word for this. All this time waiting to see the kid get "a shot" and he plays with an even less experienced center than himself and a #6/7 blueliner doing his first ever nhl stint at forward.

I'm laughing again. I think I'm going crazy.

R U serious?

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 11:43 PM
  #8
McLeod73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
They should play him with Oates....how much can it hurt? They both have the same amount of goals.....0!!!!!!!!!!

McLeod73 is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 11:59 PM
  #9
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,937
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to McThome
I was deeply over-joyed when he was dressed, and deeply disapointed when I saw his linemates and after I watched Ferguson get the call as much/more then Jani. I won't scream bloody murder until Saturday night after the Canucks game -if he doesn't get a decent chance by then - I seriously will go to the games with the intention of trading my tickets to some goof dumn enough to by seats behind the Oilers bench so that I can wisper death threats to MacT.

McThome is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 12:01 AM
  #10
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
... so that I can wisper death threats to MacT.
A little inappropiate.

Wishing his dismissal is one thing. His death is quite another.

momentai is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 12:06 AM
  #11
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
I found it funny

that Cross wasn't IRed so Salmo could be called up. But you know that's typical dummy Oilers managment.

I tried to watch Rita as closely as I could and I saw he floated away from the point and thereby his check on a couple of occasions when the wings had possession in our zone and I also saw a couple of times when the D rank the puck up his wing and he couldn't chip it out.

Could be that he was nervous but I've seen him as much or probably more than lots of guys here and I'll tell you that for better or worse Rita will not fit in with guys who aren't offensive players.

You watch, this is gonna be a self fufiling prophecy from Lowe and MacT and co. They started to float the Lethinen deal in camp and yeah you know I wish he would try and play two ways too because I left defensively responsible players as much as the next guy.

But some guys have to score first and then learn D after and what we'll see here is Rita play with pitiful linemates and then he'll be farmed with the old, "well he didn't produce and he wasn't great defensively either."

Unlike of course Chimera who has tonnes of points and is great defensively to boot.

You have nothing to lose so give Rita 10 games at least with Hemsky or Dvorak and let's see what he can do.

F**k, seeing Ferguson on his wing tonight totally cemented a lot of what I already thought about KrackT

Matts is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 12:13 AM
  #12
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,937
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
A little inappropiate.

Wishing his dismissal is one thing. His death is quite another.
good god man you're anal! Of course I'm not serious! I don't wish death on the guy - he's a good Oilers from the 80's and I will probably always hold a favorable opinion of MacT the player and person. The guys in the playoffs a couple years ago who sat behind the Dallas bench and wispered death threats to Hitchcock were about as serious as I am - not at all, just trying to get a point of absolute disgust/hate across

McThome is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 01:42 AM
  #13
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
good god man you're anal! Of course I'm not serious! I don't wish death on the guy - he's a good Oilers from the 80's and I will probably always hold a favorable opinion of MacT the player and person. The guys in the playoffs a couple years ago who sat behind the Dallas bench and wispered death threats to Hitchcock were about as serious as I am - not at all, just trying to get a point of absolute disgust/hate across
I realize that. Still, your comment lacked "tact" and I didn't care for it - exaggeration to prove a point or not. Sorry, if that comes across anal... but it simply leaves a bad taste my mouth. There are better ways to get the point across.

momentai is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 02:09 AM
  #14
Harley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Do you guys even watch the game?

He stunk the joint out. He gets on the ice and stands around. He did nothing. Squat. Diddly. The Oilers don't owe that kid anything. This is pro hockey. If you want a job in this league you have to go out and earn it. Quite frankly he couldn't carry Ferguson's jock. If Ferguson had that talent he'd be a forty goal scorer.

Rita has no spine. No determination. Zippo for drive. When he's feeling like a million bucks he looks like a hockey player. If things aren't just right he doesn't have the inner drive to even bother to show up. He's invisible most nights in the AHL. He just looks like a bigger lump of crap in the bigs.

That ain't MacTavish's fault. Nor Kevin Lowe's. The only thing that happened is that they drafted a kid with no competitive spirit.

Next thing you guys will be whining that Bonsignore didn't get a fair shake.

Harley is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 02:15 AM
  #15
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley
He stunk the joint out. He gets on the ice and stands around. He did nothing. Squat. Diddly. The Oilers don't owe that kid anything. This is pro hockey. If you want a job in this league you have to go out and earn it. Quite frankly he couldn't carry Ferguson's jock. If Ferguson had that talent he'd be a forty goal scorer.

Rita has no spine. No determination. Zippo for drive. When he's feeling like a million bucks he looks like a hockey player. If things aren't just right he doesn't have the inner drive to even bother to show up. He's invisible most nights in the AHL. He just looks like a bigger lump of crap in the bigs.

That ain't MacTavish's fault. Nor Kevin Lowe's. The only thing that happened is that they drafted a kid with no competitive spirit.

Next thing you guys will be whining that Bonsignore didn't get a fair shake.
Hiya Craig, I had no idea you posted here!
























there goes the neighbourhood

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 07:06 AM
  #16
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Hiya Craig, I had no idea you posted here!


there goes the neighbourhood
Why is it that when ever someone disagrees with you, you start name calling, or calling them Craig, or Lowe or whatever?

Deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with you like an adult would.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 08:38 AM
  #17
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
that Cross wasn't IRed so Salmo could be called up. But you know that's typical dummy Oilers managment.
I got the impression that they didn't have time to get Salmelainen to Detroit in time for the game, so they didn't bother. It's not like Ferguson was playing a regular shift on the wing - he only played 4 shifts or so, then went back to playing defence, and I think he only played 10 minutes.

I missed the first period, but in the second and third, I only knew Rita was out there because there was a guy skating aimlessly around the ice wearing #22. Hopefully his play improves, because I think he'll get a few more games, whether MacTavish likes it or not, because of the injuries. It was depressing to watch him out there, showing so little drive, when he knows that this is a big chance for him to establish himself in the NHL.

Allan is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 10:29 AM
  #18
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
I don't think his play was great either, but I also didn't think it was horrible. There wasn't a whole lot of consistency with the entire teams play, and I don't think one player will improve the play of the entire team.

If anything his play could probally be best described as tenative, playing on wing with a career minor league centerman and a dman playing the other wing, playing against one of the best teams in hockey.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 10:42 AM
  #19
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The thing is, he has great speed, is strong and can play physical...

Why not just go out there and paste a guy? He has that ability and it is a facet of his game. It's not always about scoring on your first shift, but you can't be invisible.

He doesn't need a 2 goal game to be effective or be noticed. Bishai hasn't scored at a fantastic rate, but he has done things to be noticed by the coaching staff that resulted in him getting more ice time.

Rita needs to do this. Forget about scoring... go out there and hit a few guys, win some races to pucks, out-muscle guys in the corner, something like that.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 10:45 AM
  #20
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Rita needs to do this. Forget about scoring... go out there and hit a few guys, win some races to pucks, out-muscle guys in the corner, something like that.
That would be a good start.

For someone who supposedly is strong as a bull and a weight room maniac, I wouldn't mind seeing some evidence of it.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 12:16 PM
  #21
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley
He stunk the joint out. He gets on the ice and stands around. He did nothing. Squat. Diddly. The Oilers don't owe that kid anything. This is pro hockey. If you want a job in this league you have to go out and earn it. Quite frankly he couldn't carry Ferguson's jock. If Ferguson had that talent he'd be a forty goal scorer.

Rita has no spine. No determination. Zippo for drive. When he's feeling like a million bucks he looks like a hockey player. If things aren't just right he doesn't have the inner drive to even bother to show up. He's invisible most nights in the AHL. He just looks like a bigger lump of crap in the bigs.

That ain't MacTavish's fault. Nor Kevin Lowe's. The only thing that happened is that they drafted a kid with no competitive spirit.

Next thing you guys will be whining that Bonsignore didn't get a fair shake.
Hi, who are you and how many of your family members did Jani Rita kill?

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 01:08 PM
  #22
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Well DB

sometimes he throws checks and sometimes he doesn't. There were more goals back then and Satan was playing with Weight but Miro wasn't checking guys either.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jani could have half the career that Miro has, is having or will have. I'm just saying here's a guy for whom the offense came first.

But lots of people will be right about the Rita situation and among them will be me, KrackT and Lowe.

They will be right because he's gonna gonna produce and he's not gonna be great defensively.

I'll be right because he's not gonna get the kind of teammates he needs to produce.

Pair him with Dvorak or Hemsky and give them the best centre you have and if after 15 or 20 games you see the guy can't create or bury chances, then make the decision on him.

Matts is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 01:21 PM
  #23
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
sometimes he throws checks and sometimes he doesn't. There were more goals back then and Satan was playing with Weight but Miro wasn't checking guys either.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jani could have half the career that Miro has, is having or will have. I'm just saying here's a guy for whom the offense came first.
No Matts he isn't... I really hate getting into this argument again and again with people. He isn't a legit goalscorer who the Oilers can throw out with reckless abandon in hopes that he scores before he makes a bad defensive play that ends up in the Oilers net.

He is, and can be a solid 2 way player with decent offensive tools. Think Ethan Moreau with a better shot (harder and more accurate). That is what he is. I don't understand how this is complicated. He will score his goals through digging in the corners and using his speed in transition. He isn't Brett Hull, or heck, even Anson Carter.

So let's please end this confusion. He'll develop into a dangerous 3rd line winger that will burn you by forcing turnovers and capitilizing on them. He doesn't find open lanes and open areas to recieve passes for good scoring chances. He doesn't think the game very well in terms of what to do when he doesn't have the puck, and he doesn't have the shifty moves that will create chances for himself and others.

Quote:
But lots of people will be right about the Rita situation and among them will be me, KrackT and Lowe.

They will be right because he's gonna gonna produce and he's not gonna be great defensively.

I'll be right because he's not gonna get the kind of teammates he needs to produce.
Sorry Matts, but you are talking about the wrong player. He has limited offensive instincts combined with some great tools. That being said when he is going, he is the best 2 way player by far in the AHL. He's strong and fast and is very good with his stick in terms of cutting off passing lanes.

Quote:
Pair him with Dvorak or Hemsky and give them the best centre you have and if after 15 or 20 games you see the guy can't create or bury chances, then make the decision on him.
Well, Dvorak is hurt and Hemsky is struggling... not really the best idea. Rita's game isn't being the trigger man on the wing of a playmaker. He is at his absolute best when he is skating, hitting, working the corners, and looking for his shots. That is what is going to make him successful at the NHL level. He needs to contribute in small ways because quite frankly he isn't good enough offensively to rely on that solely in his career.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 03:33 PM
  #24
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
I can see why

so many people here are so frustrated with you. I might harp on the same things a lot but it's to get on peoples nerves sometimes and the damn thing is I'm usually right

But you are so off base on Rita in so many ways. Only thing you're right about is saying he isn't a legit goalscorer and I guess you're right there if you mean he can't score 30.

But comparing him to Moreau? You couldn'tbe more wrong. I've seen him close to 15-18 times live in the AHL over the last 3 seasons plus 10-15 times on TV and he's always played the same way every time I've seen him. Or at least tried to.

And he's nowhere close to Moreau and he's never been a great two way player either. Well he has in terms of outscoring the other line but not because he's great picking up his check or because he works his tail off.

He has a very good and hard shot and he works down low but he doesn't drive the net off the wing like a Moreau and he doesn't take big slappers off the wing or wristers like Ethan either. And he doesn't take the body consistently like Moreau either.


Last edited by Matts: 02-17-2004 at 03:38 PM. Reason: content
Matts is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 03:42 PM
  #25
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
so many people here are so frustrated with you. I might harp on the same things a lot but it's to get on peoples nerves sometimes and the damn thing is I'm usually right.

But you are so off base on Rita in so many ways. Only thing you're right about is saying he isn't a legit goalscorer and I guess you're right there if you mean he can't score 30.

But comparing him to Moreau? You couldn'tbe more wrong. I've seen him close to 25 games in the AHL and he's always played thesame way every time I've seen him.

And he's nowhere close to Moreau and he's never been a great two way player either. Well he has in terms of outscoring the other line but not because he's great picking up his check.
I've had seasons tickets to the bulldogs and runners for the past 4 seasons, 3 of which Rita has played in.

Funny, he's played the same way in all 25 games you have seen him? Wow... you're lucky. The most frustrating part over the past 2 years has been his inability to bring the same game every night.

Never been a great 2 way player? Funny, he did a hell of a job in the playoffs last year when he found himself in a checking role after struggling with his offense early in the playoffs. He is actually an excellent 2 way player when he feels like it. He has absolutely dominated both ends of the ice like no one I have ever seen in some games... but once again, beating the dead horse, he doesn't do it often enough.

When he isn't out there lost on the ice, he brings a solid physical presence and a very good two way game.

And if he isn't a legit scorer, and he isn't good defensively, <b>WTF</b> is he going to do at the NHL level? If he can't consistantly score goals (which he can't), and he isn't any good defensively (which you say), why exactly does he deserve a shot for?

If it was as simple as him being a one dimensional player, I could live with that... but if you are going to be one dimensional that one dimension better be good. Rita isn't good enough at just one thing to be an NHLer, his thing is the total package. Much like Wyowitka... doesn't blow you away with anything, but he does do everything well.

dawgbone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.