HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A trade offer with the Caps (Not involving Ovechkin)

Old
06-29-2008, 10:30 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
A trade offer with the Caps (Not involving Ovechkin)

Montreal is gearing up to go for it all and we have a great core of young players and many players coming into their own.

In order to make room for cap space, and to sign a UFA or two would you do this?

Trade Andrei Markov to play with his buddy Alex in Washington for Mike Green?

I was not happy with the results from Markov in the playoffs, he simply disappeared. We have a good core in Komisarek, Hammer and O'Byrne on the backend not to mention Gorges as well.

Green is supposedly looking long term at 3.5-4 million per. That would be 2.25 to 1.75 million per to be spent elsewhere (like re-signing Kommy long term).

Green would anchor the PP and is a sold pairing with Kommy for the next 7-8 years, or with Hammer for the next 4!

The money could also be available to go for Mats or Hossa along with another UFA?

Thoughts?

I don't think this weakens us, if anything it gives us that much more stabilty for the next few years along with long term signings of Price, Komisarek and Kosty Sr.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Montreal is gearing up to go for it all and we have a great core of young players and many players coming into their own.

In order to make room for cap space, and to sign a UFA or two would you do this?

I was not happy with the results from Markov in the playoffs, he simply disappeared. We have a good core in Komisarek, Hammer and O'Byrne on the backend not to mention Gorges as well.

Green is supposedly looking long term at 3.5-4 million per. That would be 2.25 to 1.75 million per to be spent elsewhere (like re-signing Kommy long term).

Green would anchor the PP and is a sold pairing with Kommy for the next 7-8 years, or with Hammer for the next 4!

The money could also be available to go for Mats or Hossa along with another UFA?

Thoughts?

I don't think this weakens us, if anything it gives us that much more stabilty for the next few years along with long term signings of Price, Komisarek and Kosty Sr.
First of all the Habs don't need cap room, second Markov is the more polished player, would that not be what you want going for it.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Green is overrated.

Our team falls apart when Markov's not in the lineup so unless they add Backstrom or Semin I say no.

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Maximus Taylor

definite pass. win now is the key.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Green is overrated.

Our team falls apart when Markov's not in the lineup so unless they add Backstrom or Semin I say no.
Our team falls apart when Markov is not in the lineup 'cause Markov is out AND the 7th d-man is in.....you add Green, you're not talking about a 7th d-man.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:41 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
First of all the Habs don't need cap room, second Markov is the more polished player, would that not be what you want going for it.
Markov is a polished player when he wants to be, he can look as bad as he wants on some nights as good as he wants to look too.

Green is only going to be 23 in October and Markov 30 in December...age isn't an issue, but Kommy is what 24-25...why not build a D around Kommy and Green to be in front of Price?

Quote:
Green is overrated.

The Habs may have done worse without him in the regular season, but he totally disappeared in the playoffs and then looked great in the World Hockey Championships...sometimes I question his heart (the falling for many Russian players).

I think Green with a solid D-Corps in Montreal makes him that more effective and a structured system in Montreal may complete his game more.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:

Thoughts?

We may be only 2, but I like your idea. But I'm so much a Green fan that I can't be against any trade that involves him.

I keep thinking at what Timmins said about Subban as the "new breed of d-men".....if Subban is that, how about what Mike Green is.....

I would go for it.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Our team falls apart when Markov is not in the lineup 'cause Markov is out AND the 7th d-man is in.....you add Green, you're not talking about a 7th d-man.
Defensively, he is!

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Green's defensive game can be compared to a 7th d-mans at times.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
We may be only 2, but I like your idea. But I'm so much a Green fan that I can't be against any trade that involves him.

I keep thinking at what Timmins said about Subban as the "new breed of d-men".....if Subban is that, how about what Mike Green is.....

I would go for it.
My thinking too.

If Subban and Valentanko come in and we have a core of Kommy, Hammer, Green, O'Byrne and Gorges there then I think we look pretty good...especially since the 4-7 Dmen are going to be extremely cheap under the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Defensively, he is!
Not if he is paired with Kommy or Hammer.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
The Habs may have done worse without him in the regular season, but he totally disappeared in the playoffs and then looked great in the World Hockey Championships...sometimes I question his heart (the falling for many Russian players).
Did you see his defensive partner? Komisarek could barely skate and Markov took an absolute beating the first round because of it.

Markov obviously wasn't playing at 100% and he didn't look like the Markov we saw in the regular season at the World's, he clearly still wasn't 100%. Also give me a break, questioning his heart because he's Russian... pretty sure the Russians on our team were the ones who showed the most heart on the team throughout the year.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Markov is a polished player when he wants to be, he can look as bad as he wants on some nights as good as he wants to look too.

Green is only going to be 23 in October and Markov 30 in December...age isn't an issue, but Kommy is what 24-25...why not build a D around Kommy and Green to be in front of Price?

I think Green with a solid D-Corps in Montreal makes him that more effective and a structured system in Montreal may complete his game more.
That makes no sense at all.

Markov played at 75-80% all playoffs and still played 24 minutes a night...obviously the defense was not an issue they limited Phillie to 25 shots a night.

Green only exploded when Bourdeau arrived and let him play the "riverboat gambler" style...Carbo played Streit at forward when he played even close to that. Green has great skills but his positionning at times is horrible...while Markov is like a machine back there, very very underrated defensively.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:53 PM
39CareyPrice39

No Need to fight over this cause well let's face it, It's never going to happen. Personally I do not think Green is overrated at all and that we might possibly need to send a pick with Markov in order to acquire green in this dreamland trade proposal.

39CareyPrice39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:

Markov played at 75-80% all playoffs and still played 24 minutes a night...obviously the defense was not an issue they limited Phillie to 25 shots a night.

Green only exploded when Bourdeau arrived and let him play the "riverboat gambler" style...Carbo played Streit at forward when he played even close to that. Green has great skills but his positionning at times is horrible...while Markov is like a machine back there, very very underrated defensively.
Totally agree with you... also when you're on the ice with an amazing player like Ovechkin you'll have more ice opened up for you as the other teams will be gunning for AO. For every highlight real goal Green got he'd end up on the highlights getting burnt by the other team resulting in a goal.

I think Green is a good player but after 3/4 of a good season I don't think you can even try comparing him to/or try trading him straight up for a top 10 defenceman in the league in Markov.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Did you see his defensive partner? Komisarek could barely skate and Markov took an absolute beating the first round because of it.

Markov obviously wasn't playing at 100% and he didn't look like the Markov we saw in the regular season at the World's, he clearly still wasn't 100%. Also give me a break, questioning his heart because he's Russian... pretty sure the Russians on our team were the ones who showed the most heart on the team throughout the year.
So your point being is that Komisarek is the more valuable of the two and that his injury hurt Markov.

This would only go to prove that a younger and cheaper player with a lot of upside beside the stronger Komisarek would flourish in Montreal!

Quote:

Markov may have played 24 minutes, but they weren't quality and he never made a difference. In all honesty Bouillion stood out more, and not for the wrong reasons.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Green's defensive game can be compared to a 7th d-mans at times.
When you lose Markov, you lose a transition game, something you'll have with Green as well.

Besides, sure, Green cannot be mistaken for a defensive shutdown guy, still you did notice the incredible progression he had on his game offensively, I believe he will be able to progress defensively as well. Now that he has confidence on his abilities offensively, he'll polish his defensive game.

Tell me you're not ready to categorize him already at his age? A d-man?

Maybe the trade could be a more extensive package on every side, but again, I wouldn't be against it.

But again, as far as the Habs way of seeing what a future d-man should looks like, when a guy like Subban with all of his defensive deficiencies that he'll be able to improve but will never be taken for a shutdown d-man himself is regarded as the future of D, something makes me think that Mike Green is regarded highly by the Habs management.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
So your point being is that Komisarek is the more valuable of the two and that his injury hurt Markov.

This would only go to prove that a younger and cheaper player with a lot of upside beside the stronger Komisarek would flourish in Montreal!
Yeah we saw how much more valuable Komisarek was when he was out of the lineup and we still won games and were on fire at the end of the year yet when Markov was out of the lineup our team looked like an AHL team.

My point is it's very hard to play on both sides of the ice and make up for your defensive partners mistakes, especially in the playoffs. Add to that Boston's big forwards were smart and they ran Markov into the boards every opportunity they had.

We don't need to get young and cheaper we are contending...

Old
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Yeah we saw how much more valuable Komisarek was when he was out of the lineup and we still won games and were on fire at the end of the year yet when Markov was out of the lineup our team looked like an AHL team.

My point is it's very hard to play on both sides of the ice and make up for your defensive partners mistakes, especially in the playoffs. Add to that Boston's big forwards were smart and they ran Markov into the boards every opportunity they had.

We don't need to get young and cheaper we are contending...
I agree that we are contending...but I don't think it comes at a cost to contend by getting Green over Markov. Everything that happened in Washington didn't only happen because of Ovechkin and Huet!

Do you honestly think that the other 29 teams in the league didn't stand up and notice all you have to do to Markov is simply run him? A healthy Kommy there or not cannot back him up at all times, Markov has to be his own man and I think Green can be that more than Markov. Because when the game gets rough, thats when Markov disappears.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I agree that we are contending...but I don't think it comes at a cost to contend by getting Green over Markov. Everything that happened in Washington didn't only happen because of Ovechkin and Huet!

Do you honestly think that the other 29 teams in the league didn't stand up and notice all you have to do to Markov is simply run him? A healthy Kommy there or not cannot back him up at all times, Markov has to be his own man and I think Green can be that more than Markov. Because when the game gets rough, thats when Markov disappears.
Markov is as tough as any d-man we have had for taking the hit to move the puck. You have no clue.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Markov may have played 24 minutes, but they weren't quality and he never made a difference. In all honesty Bouillion stood out more, and not for the wrong reasons.
Euuhhh..are you even serious??..

You do know its called a defensive PAIR..meaning a DUO..meaning 2 Defensemen play together.
Every defenseman in this league will look worse if his partner is not playing well.
How you switch that to Komi is more important than Markov is completely ridiculous.

Komisarek would still be a 4th-5th Dman if it weren't for him being paired up with Markov. Komi came into the POs quickly after an injury and he wasn't as effective at all. Markov didn't have that great of a PO...so what?..This means he doesn't have heart??..
There's 16teams that make the POs..1 wins the cup. Its very tough to win..when will people understand this??..
What's next..Malkin doesn't have heart because he wasn't much of a factor vs the Wings??..Crosby didn't play much better yet there's no way he's getting criticized.
This is the first year Markov's a #1 Dman in the league, he made the Allstar top team, had a tremendous season, he played top min during the POs, but he doesn't have heart..that makes a lot of sense.

Did you ever stop to think that Bouillon plays less than Markov and he faces the opposing team's 3rd or 4th liner?..

Green is nowhere near Markov's talent, and next year Green's contract will be up. This would bring the Habs 3steps back.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

You think Komi's babysitting Markov or something??..damn man..watch the games.
That's why Markov's got a career high season in pts and made the first all star team..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:08 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Markov is as tough as any d-man we have had for taking the hit to move the puck. You have no clue.
Dude, I have been watching the Habs since I was 5 so since 78'...don't question my Intelligence!

Tough? Markov is tough? When the tough get going he either takes stupid penalities or goes missing.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Euuhhh..are you even serious??..

You do know its called a defensive PAIR..meaning a DUO..meaning 2 Defensemen play together.
Every defenseman in this league will look worse if his partner is not playing well.
How you switch that to Komi is more important than Markov is completely ridiculous.

Komisarek would still be a 4th-5th Dman if it weren't for him being paired up with Markov. Komi came into the POs quickly after an injury and he wasn't as effective at all. Markov didn't have that great of a PO...so what?..This means he doesn't have heart??..
There's 16teams that make the POs..1 wins the cup. Its very tough to win..when will people understand this??..
What's next..Malkin doesn't have heart because he wasn't much of a factor vs the Wings??..Crosby didn't play much better yet there's no way he's getting criticized.
This is the first year Markov's a #1 Dman in the league, he made the Allstar top team, had a tremendous season, he played top min during the POs, but he doesn't have heart..that makes a lot of sense.

Did you ever stop to think that Bouillon plays less than Markov and he faces the opposing team's 3rd or 4th liner?..

Green is nowhere near Markov's talent, and next year Green's contract will be up. This would bring the Habs 3steps back.
Green is a RFA this season, get with the conversation.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:13 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You think Komi's babysitting Markov or something??..damn man..watch the games.
That's why Markov's got a career high season in pts and made the first all star team..
You only make my case stronger...if Kommy can do that for Markov what can he do for Green??? he is obviously babysitting him then and opening the ice for him!

And the first Allstar D was: Lidstrom and Phaneuf, 2nd Allstar team was Campbell and Chara.

Markov was the 1st pairing?

Old
06-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
You only make my case stronger...if kommy can do that for Markov what can he do for Green???

And the first Allstar D was: Lidstrom and Phaneuf, 2nd Allstar team was Campbell and Chara.

Markov was the 1st pairing?
Komisarek is right handed and plays the right side, as does Green. Obviously you don't watch hockey enough if you think they'd play together.