HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Official: Duvie Westcott bought out.

Old
06-28-2008, 12:52 AM
cbj21

vCash: 500
before the concussion business he had 10 pts in 13 games i believe, well worth the cash, was second best in points just behind Nash.

Good luck Mr Duvie

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
AP is working late tonight:

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

I'm worried when guys that get fired like the person who fired them, and have friends who want more NHL money than they are worth. Oh my, the bad karma keeps getting badder as the days drag on.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Jon CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
before the concussion business he had 10 pts in 13 games i believe, well worth the cash, was second best in points just behind Nash.

Good luck Mr Duvie
I remember this as well, he played very well when healthy.
I just really feel bad for the guy in section 104 who has and Authentic RBK Westcott sweater. I just kind of want to give him a hug I feel so bad...

Jon CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon CBJ View Post
I just really feel bad for the guy in section 104 who has and Authentic RBK Westcott sweater. I just kind of want to give him a hug I feel so bad...
Hey, that's me - when can I collect?

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:14 AM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
AP is working late tonight:

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

I'm worried when guys that get fired like the person who fired them, and have friends who want more NHL money than they are worth. Oh my, the bad karma keeps getting badder as the days drag on.
Okay, I'm an original Duvie lover here. But why all the hate???

This guy is something that the CBJ (and entire NHL, for that matter) needs more of... A Class Act. How can anyone hope for anything but the best for him. He did what was asked of him. He handled his demotion to Syracuse with incredible grace & class. And now he's taking the high road in what must be a very difficult time. (Who here could get fired without being bitter??). I think he respects that Howson's doing his job, it's not personal and just business. You have to admire him being big enough to accept that.

Anyway, I've also heard around the rinks that he comes from very humble roots back home. It's awesome to know that he was raised to handle this kind of adversity so professionally.

Good luck Duvie! Wish you all the best and hope you figure out how to stick around in the NHL in some capacity for many, many years. We need guys like you.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:21 AM
WrightOn

I agree- he is a class act.

I also agree that it was the right decision to buy him out.

And I say that taking pot shots at the guy as he gracefully exits is classless and typical of those that do it.

Good luck Duvie.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:40 AM
RDriesenUD

very classy of him to say what he did to Malone. Duvie had no place here anymore, but i wish him well.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Xoggz22

Good luck to a class guy. I had high hopes he might make a difference but unfortunately those injuries took their toll.

I believe it was the Wings game (the fight shown earlier in the thread) and he was the guest at the bar after the game. My wife and I ended up walking with him as he exited. Great guy and probably would have kept talking to us. He staying in the hotel since he had no permanent address yet. He was more excited than any player I ever met.

Sad to see him go but it is the right move. I hope he moves on from hockey and can keep from adding to the injury list.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:09 AM
pickledcotton

As a Crunch season ticketholder I watched Duvie rise from an undrafted nobody to somebody special. I have met him at numerous team parties, events and signings, and he was always very welcoming, incredibly intelligent to talk to, and really was interested in the things I had to say. When he made the jump to the NHL I was surprised but of course thrilled for him. After the concussions it was painful to watch him knowing what a physical presence he had been before, when he was unafraid to hit anything or anyone.

I think he really did get his game back here in Syracuse this year, and I would have liked to see him stay, but I don't think anyone really expected he would. It's likely the Crunch are going to re-sign Dan Smith who is a vet with tons of experience and a great mentor for the younger guys. I look at it this way, they're paying Duvie anyway and they're never going to fill the Crunch out 100% with prospects - you gotta have a vet there for the rooks to learn from. However, I think Danny fills the bill better right now (although his age, 32 this year, and injury status concern me, the guy is a horse and played through almost as many injuries as Konopka - great leadership and captaincy skills).

Duvie has always been a class act and I've got to hope that someone takes that into account, maybe somewhere for a player/coaching contract, or with some kids back in Canada. I will miss him personally and professionally but I do think this is a good business decision by the brass.

Good luck Duvie.

Last edited by pickledcotton: 06-28-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: correction on Dan's age
pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Jon CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Hey, that's me - when can I collect?
I guess you can collect opening night... I sit in section 103 third row up... (I'm the one always yelling at Novotny, but hey, who isn't?)

Old
06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

From Portzline at http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/
Westcott is very good friends with Pittsburgh Penguins winger Ryan Malone. Westcott and Malone attended St. Cloud State University in Minnesota together, along with Mark Hartigan and Joe Motzko.

I asked Westcott if Malone has picked his brain about the possibility of playing in Columbus. The Blue Jackets have lots of interest in signing Malone, one must assume, but would Malone consider signing with the Blue Jackets. Malone is an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"He was asking me about it, yeah," Westcott said. "I told him it was a great city, a great bunch of guys int he room, great fans and an awesome building. It's a great place to play and raise a family, right? He and his wife just had a little one. And, you know, the way Ryan plays, he'd be a perfect fit in Hitch's system. Hitch likes big, physical wingers who get the puck deep and just wear people down. I think he'd be great there, if that's how it works out. I told him that, too."
Now just think about that for a second. Westcott was, in essence, fired by the Blue Jackets. Yes, he got a nice going away present, but he's being paid not to play, which has to hurt one's pride. And here he is, selling the Blue Jackets to a prospective free agent.

Westcott also had good things to say about Howson: "He was always honest with me, and that's all you can ask. I've got nothing bad to say. It's not a happy day for me, but I appreciate the way it was handled. From the start, Scott was straight-up with me. I've got a lot of respect for him."
Thanks DUUUUUUVIE.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:53 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

let the record reflect that Duvie had the hottest girlfriend (wife?) of any Jackets player

true story

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
let the record reflect that Duvie had the hottest girlfriend (wife?) of any Jackets player

true story
Duly noted.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon CBJ View Post
I guess you can collect opening night... I sit in section 103 third row up... (I'm the one always yelling at Novotny, but hey, who isn't?)
Jon -
I'm a semi-regular in the row right in front of you. See you this fall.

Old
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledcotton View Post
As a Crunch season ticketholder I watched Duvie rise from an undrafted nobody to somebody special. I have met him at numerous team parties, events and signings, and he was always very welcoming, incredibly intelligent to talk to, and really was interested in the things I had to say. When he made the jump to the NHL I was surprised but of course thrilled for him. After the concussions it was painful to watch him knowing what a physical presence he had been before, when he was unafraid to hit anything or anyone.
I think he really did get his game back here in Syracuse this year, and I would have liked to see him stay, but I don't think anyone really expected he would. It's likely the Crunch are going to re-sign Dan Smith who is a vet with tons of experience and a great mentor for the younger guys. I look at it this way, they're paying Duvie anyway and they're never going to fill the Crunch out 100% with prospects - you gotta have a vet there for the rooks to learn from. However, I think Danny fills the bill better right now (although his age, 32 this year, and injury status concern me, the guy is a horse and played through almost as many injuries as Konopka - great leadership and captaincy skills).

Duvie has always been a class act and I've got to hope that someone takes that into account, maybe somewhere for a player/coaching contract, or with some kids back in Canada. I will miss him personally and professionally but I do think this is a good business decision by the brass.

Good luck Duvie.
The bolded section is the thing that stands out to me more than anything else. That's what I loved about Duvie early on. He wasn't big but anyone coming down his side had a hurting coming. After the concusions, he was never the same player. I pretty much expect him to play in the NHL somewhere next year, mainly because I figure somebody will be willing to take a chance on a puck moving d-man with NHL experience.

I don't think he would sign with the Crunch anyway just because he can't play for Columbus for a year after they buy him out. Love of the team is hard to balance against the potential to get back to the NHL.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Jon CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Jon -
I'm a semi-regular in the row right in front of you. See you this fall.
Yep see you then. Can't wait for the season to start!

Old
06-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Kutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post

true story
Pics!

Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:41 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Stuff happens, but sentimentiality is only reserved for expansion franchises.

When Vyborny inevitably leaves, we won't bat an eye. Two years ago, it would've been ritual suicide here at the CBJ forums

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:45 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock View Post
Stuff happens, but sentimentiality is only reserved for expansion franchises.

When Vyborny inevitably leaves, we won't bat an eye. Two years ago, it would've been ritual suicide here at the CBJ forums
Who??

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:20 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Okay, I'm an original Duvie lover here. But why all the hate???

This guy is something that the CBJ (and entire NHL, for that matter) needs more of... A Class Act. How can anyone hope for anything but the best for him. He did what was asked of him. He handled his demotion to Syracuse with incredible grace & class. And now he's taking the high road in what must be a very difficult time. (Who here could get fired without being bitter??). I think he respects that Howson's doing his job, it's not personal and just business. You have to admire him being big enough to accept that.

Anyway, I've also heard around the rinks that he comes from very humble roots back home. It's awesome to know that he was raised to handle this kind of adversity so professionally.

Good luck Duvie! Wish you all the best and hope you figure out how to stick around in the NHL in some capacity for many, many years. We need guys like you.
Amen.

I also wonder why the hate but your post made me believe in humanity again

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
orangebarrelman

Good luck Duvie.

I wonder if he'll stay in Hockey as a coach or something - even as a little league coach. With the buyout he has more money than most of us will ever see and be able to do what he wants to do, so it's good luck Duvie and try not to take any more blows to the head, so when the missus gets mad at you for not taking out the trash and throws a vase at you, try to remember to duck

M

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote