Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Ishmatov took a bribe?

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
Ishmatov took a bribe?

Did you guys hear the rumours which are spreading out in Russia (even Sport-Express mentioned this) that head coach of Russian junior team allegedely received $100.000 from Tyzhnykh for including his players-clients into the Russian team. Apparentely someone noticed that there were 10 players in Finland (do not know exactly the names of the players) which were the clients of this guy, the same dude who brought Zherdev to Columbus with this scandal. Sport-Express asked this guy but he is of course in denial.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian
Did you guys hear the rumours which are spreading out in Russia (even Sport-Express mentioned this) that head coach of Russian junior team allegedely received $100.000 from Tyzhnykh for including his players-clients into the Russian team. Apparentely someone noticed that there were 10 players in Finland (do not know exactly the names of the players) which were the clients of this guy, the same dude who brought Zherdev to Columbus with this scandal. Sport-Express asked this guy but he is of course in denial.
Well few names were questionable (about 5). It would not be too surprising to me to be honest.
Gandler (and a couple other agents) used to do more or less the same back when Petr Vorobiev was the coach. Plyushev was much more OK I believe and his choices were much less questionable. You know corruption is something that really affects Russian hockey (cf. what Kovalenko said few months ago that more or less any game can be bought, or the extra money that executives try to get for themselves (personal) when a guy is about to be transferred to the NHL...)

Old
02-17-2004, 06:48 AM
paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
Well few names were questionable (about 5). It would not be too surprising to me to be honest.
Gandler (and a couple other agents) used to do more or less the same back when Petr Vorobiev was the coach. Plyushev was much more OK I believe and his choices were much less questionable. You know corruption is something that really affects Russian hockey (cf. what Kovalenko said few months ago that more or less any game can be bought, or the extra money that executives try to get for themselves (personal) when a guy is about to be transferred to the NHL...)
Anshakov, Skhotov, Kozhevnikov, Komashev, Ezhov, Ermolin and Tunik are with Tyzhnych. One thing has to be recalled: some media representatives in Russia are very mad about the departure of Zherdev from CSKA Moscow. As Tyzhnych, the Zherdev agent, is seen to have played a role in this move to Columbus, he has to face some sort of rude adversity in Russia. This kind of dirt rumours is part of it. Lets have concrete proufs before accusing him.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul99
Anshakov, Skhotov, Kozhevnikov, Komashev, Ezhov, Ermolin and Tunik are with Tyzhnych. One thing has to be recalled: some media representatives in Russia are very mad about the departure of Zherdev from CSKA Moscow. As Tyzhnych, the Zherdev agent, is seen to have played a role in this move to Columbus, he has to face some sort of rude adversity in Russia. This kind of dirt rumours is part of it. Lets have concrete proufs before accusing him.
You are right. We should wait to see. Tyzhnykh took a lot of heat.
Does not change the more general concern of corruption in Russian hockey though.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Siberian

Yes, Tyzhnykh and Columbus are hockey enemies in Russia, but as I understand the rumour came from one of the players who was on that team. If you followed the Russian news prior to WJC you saw these interviews by Ishmatov where he said on multiple occasions that he would add Zherdev to the team if his agent, Columbus and RHF will work this out. Why would any coach claim he will add a player to his own team who was considered a "traitor" at the moment and this was known that RHF will not allow Zherdev to join? I think Ishmatov and Tyzhnykh clearly have something going on between them and it is a dangerous situation for Russian hockey.

What was the actual reason why he did not want to take Semin? Maybe it was because that Semin is not anybody's prospect anymore as he already signed NHL contract?

Old
02-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Guillaume

There may be something going on with Ishmatov and Tyzhnykh but the 1984 is clearly better with Zherdev (who was the captain at that time) than without him. So, it is tough to blame him for trying to get Zherdev back on the team. On the Zherdev situation, there is a lot to say that was not say in the RUssian newspapers (like the conditions in which he had to sign his contract, where the extra money asked by the officials was supposed to go, the fact that CSKA cashed the official money paid by Columbus but did not transfer the guy, the absence of military conscription and so on). I don't want to say to much, but I can't blame a coach for wanting to get one of his best players on the team (even though I put a lot of blame on Ishmatov for the failure (Cf. a thread below). In addition, the WJC are more of a showing for players who do not have yet an NHL contract, it has less "commercial" interest for a player (and his agent) if the guy has already an NHL contract.

Semin was cut because Ishmatov reproached him not to show up at a training while he was sick. If he would not have wanted the guy on the team because he was playing in the NHL, it would make more sense not to call the guy at all (e.g., like Babchuk) rather than calling him, make him practice, and then cut him.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Siberian

This was clear to anyone close to Russia hockey that Zherdev was not going to play regardless of what veryone was saying. Ishmatov given captaincy to Zherdev, Ishmatov giving him praises all time long (forget the fact Ishmatov hated Zherdev year before), Ishmatov saying he would want Zherdev on his team right until the championship started. All these things make me believe that Tyzhnykh and Ishmatov worked as a tandem which is very disturbing.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:55 PM
paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
There may be something going on with Ishmatov and Tyzhnykh but the 1984 is clearly better with Zherdev (who was the captain at that time) than without him. So, it is tough to blame him for trying to get Zherdev back on the team. On the Zherdev situation, there is a lot to say that was not say in the RUssian newspapers (like the conditions in which he had to sign his contract, where the extra money asked by the officials was supposed to go, the fact that CSKA cashed the official money paid by Columbus but did not transfer the guy, the absence of military conscription and so on). I don't want to say to much, but I can't blame a coach for wanting to get one of his best players on the team (even though I put a lot of blame on Ishmatov for the failure (Cf. a thread below). In addition, the WJC are more of a showing for players who do not have yet an NHL contract, it has less "commercial" interest for a player (and his agent) if the guy has already an NHL contract.

Semin was cut because Ishmatov reproached him not to show up at a training while he was sick. If he would not have wanted the guy on the team because he was playing in the NHL, it would make more sense not to call the guy at all (e.g., like Babchuk) rather than calling him, make him practice, and then cut him.
Great post Guillaume!

Old
03-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Foppa_Rules

I think the whole hockey system over there is still messed up. Too much politics. Think whats going to happen when the IIHF-NHL-NHLPA deal expires.....How much money are they going to ask for Ovechkin? If there are no rules, there are no rules. Doesn't look too good.

Closed Thread