HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs and Streit...Getting Further Apart: RDS Article

Old
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I understand the fact that he was a d playing forward and all but you just don't get the points he got by being just ordinairy. He did a great job for us and in the end, he got us 60ish points and we're just so great that it's not a problem?

You all understand that we will need some stepping up to do by more than one guy. And in a world where we won't get Sundin, Hossa or any other big guns since there's not a lot this year, sounds to me like we will be having the same team + Tanguay. While Tanguay will have his share of points, the dynamics and versatily that Streit brings will be missed no matter what we think now.

The day will happen soon when the same people that want him gone and say that there's no room for him will be criticizing Bouillon and hoping we would have made an offer to Streit after all.....

Just wondering though.....how come at one point some thought that he had to receive an offer though we shouldn't be overpaying him but then all of a sudden he's not even worthy of an offer???
Yes he did get us some points,yet he reminds me alot of Andy Delmore
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=23910

bottom line is Streit cant be trusted to play fulltime defense on ourblueline .He has alot of trouble holding the puck in the zone along the blueline.

He doesnt wanna play forward(and thats where he got alot of those points) so guess what?GOODBYE we have to say to him.

I wish Mark the very best in his future endevours.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Not only was Streit's usefulness found in the fatc that he was a utility player, but also in the fact that he was a CHEAP utility player.

With the kind of points he garnered last season I can easily see someone spending upwards to 3.5-4 million per season on him.

He is not useful to us at that price, especially not if he "only wants to evolve as a D-man".

Honestly, there's not much room for him on our lineup in the first place anymore. Sad to see him go because he's a class act, but this was inevitable.
If he is gonna get that kinda money, he needs to be a top 4 Dman and I don't think he is one. Also if a forward he would need to be a top 6 which he is not....so it is tough to pay that kinda $$ for a utility player

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Only thing Streit want is to play his normal position. Wasn't he drafted as a d-man? Didn't he play there all of his life? He's not telling BG what to do, he's just saying that this is his position and where he thinks he serves the team better.

In a world where the first pass and the game transition is important, I really don't know how Streit wouldn't be more effective than Bouillon and even a young O'Byrne.
I don't disagree, but BG does, and it's his decision...It also has to do with the money, and if BG makes the forward group stronger, he must feel that Streit can only make XXX amount of dollars to do what BG wants him to do...he must feel there is someone there to take Strit's place at better money...?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's not nearly as bad defensively as some on here are alluding to. Playing for a defensive minded coach like Carbo did not help because Carbo always erred on the side of defense when setting up his roster, he even played guys like Kostopoulos and Begin on Koivu's line.
He probably isn't as bad as people say but thats the nature of HF. Most guys aren't as good as made out to be and others are not as bad as made out to be.

However he is a liability at least when played as a defenseman. If you only had to play him 8 minutes of even strength you'd probably be fine however that isn't viable on most teams.

To me he is the perfect utility player. I'd pay him two million a year, would love to have him back at that price, but wouldn't shed a tear to see him leave if he wants 3+.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:34 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
#1-6 seems pretty much etched in stone...Right now I see the defense as 1-Markov 2/3 Hamrlik-Komi 4-Bouillon 5-Gorges 6-O'byrne...I think O'byrne and Gorges will play every night as long as they are healthy. Gorges established himself as a regular last year and O'byrne needs the confidence of the coach that if he has a bad night he won't be in the stands the next game. #7 is pretty wide open...they may re sign Brisebois or keep Valentenko, maybe play Dandenault there if you don't want to trade/buy him out. Carle is another option if he has a great camp.
That reminds me that we need another top 4 D...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I don't know if this was already posted...if so, just merge it with the other thread I guess.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/254591.html

The article basically says that the Canadiens still have not submitted a contract offer to Mark Streit yet. Streit says he has no intention of playing forward, he wants to play defence only and Bob Gainey basically said that he is already set with his defence (Komi, Markov, Hammer, O'Byrne, Gorges and Bouillion)

Looks like Streit may be as good as gone....It's too bad as he is a pretty good all around player with a nice scoring touch. Unfortunantly , he just lacks the character to be a useful defenceman.

Let him go and we'll see how good he really is without the #1 powerplay to play on!
This is a smart move by Gainey. We have good young defencemen coming up from the minors who are a lot better than Streit is defensively. The only use we have for Streit is on the powerplay and the 4th line and since he won't play forward anymore.....he'll have to find another team to play defence with...cuz we have our 6 defencemen.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
That reminds me that we need another top 4 D...
Yea, especially if one of our top 3 gets injured. Then we have to move Gorges into the top 2, and it's not where he belongs.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
We have good young defencemen coming up from the minors who are a lot better than Streit is defensively.
Euh....that have the POTENTIAL to be much better.....but Mathieu Carle had his share of defensive deficiencies in the AHL what makes you think he'll be better than Streit? And so is Valentenko who by the way are the only guys in the AHL that are close to step in in the backend. Now that other guy here is O'Byrne and while I think he could be fine, he needs to show me that he can be physical at the highest level and needs to have a better balance. He might do it this year, but he didn't show me that he was that much better last year. So while we like Gorges now, even though he's no point producer, we still have question marks about O'Byrne and tons of people don't like Bouillon. I'm not ready to say that we HAVE our top-6 already....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Euh....that have the POTENTIAL to be much better.....but Mathieu Carle had his share of defensive deficiencies in the AHL what makes you think he'll be better than Streit? And so is Valentenko who by the way are the only guys in the AHL that are close to step in in the backend. Now that other guy here is O'Byrne and while I think he could be fine, he needs to show me that he can be physical at the highest level and needs to have a better balance. He might do it this year, but he didn't show me that he was that much better last year. So while we like Gorges now, even though he's no point producer, we still have question marks about O'Byrne and tons of people don't like Bouillon. I'm not ready to say that we HAVE our top-6 already....

O'Byrne proved he was a very capable defencemen last year as far as I'm concerned. He was head and shoulders better than Brisebois in his own end. His transition game needs a little work, he sometimes has trouble getting the puck up to our wingers, but his size and skill as a defencemen makes up for a few things he lacks. Even though O'Byrne didn't play as physical as he could have, he was still more physical than Brisebois and Streit were combined.

I would take O'Byrne's solid defensive skill over Streit's powerplay ability anyday. Streit is going to turn out to be a lot like Souray.....a mediocre defencemen who looked good because he played on a good powerplay unit. We didn't fork over millions of dollars for Souray, so why should we do it for Streit?

Besides....if we let Streit walk there might be a free agent defencemen out there who can be just as good as Streit on the powerplay, but can also play solid defence in his own zone.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I think the team that signs him with the intent on playing him at D is going to be in for a big surprise.
I know...Just ask Edmonton the same question about Souray (injury prone and only scores on the PP). Otherwise, he's a great defenseman.

Streit is a better skater than Souray, but much the same as he's only useful as a Dman on the PP.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I think the team that signs him with the intent on playing him at D is going to be in for a big surprise.
Yeah lol, I hope it's an east conf team that signs him as a defenceman. Will be fun watching montreal forwards stat pad when he's on. Streit is terrible on D, he belongs in swiss league.

Streit is basically a Briesbois clone, a soft error prone pylon on D who for each nice pass he makes coughs up the puck stupidly, but there's always gonna be some guys saying he can help on PP keep him around. Good teams dont need this sort of weak player around, especially at 2-4 million.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's sad to say but it's a lose-lose situation: we could keep him because he's been racking up points but he would ask 3 mill +. Some say well he's worth it but the guy cannot play effectively as a forward or a D on a regular basis. It's almost like Sourey take 2.

We'll just have to wait to see who will be the next point man, you know the guy that will feed off Kovalev and Markov to get a lot of goals or a lot of passes.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

C'est la vie. The Habs can do without him. Remember how everyone worried when Souray skipped town? Streit's departure will make room on the roster for someone else.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Maybe Streit believes in himself.

Maybe he can clearly see his own flaws and he thinks that he is able/starting to correct them...

After all, it is not like Steit has only two full seasons and can improve...
Of course he can improve. The only thing is, he's already in his 30s.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:12 PM
oli500

Streit is a good team player and a good player to have when the money is right because he can do so many things. Right now is a good time for him to leave Montreal because if he stays with a big contract and under performs he is going to be eating alive in Montreal , His reputation is going to take a big hit here. If he wants to take a pay cut to stay with the habs then I think he is a welcome addition. If the guy wants to many $ he might as well sign in a smaller market were if he will go unnoticed if he has a sub par season. I personally fell that anything more then 2.5 for streit is overpaid. He is not a top six foward and he is not a top 4 defencemen. He is a depth player who can be use for different skills set but there is no way I would consider him a core type of player. He was a class act and all miss his attitude if he thus not sign back.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
C'est la vie. The Habs can do without him. Remember how everyone worried when Souray skipped town? Streit's departure will make room on the roster for someone else.
...because we had Streit who was even better. I doubt there is a better point man around to take his spot next year. You can put S.Kost ot Tanguay there but you lose Streit's big one timer and you have a forward there not a natural d-man.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Besides....if we let Streit walk there might be a free agent defencemen out there who can be just as good as Streit on the powerplay, but can also play solid defence in his own zone.
Make your pick:

Liles
Kalinin
Hale
Hainsey
Brad Stuart
Rozsival
Redden
Orpik
Campbell
Jason Smith

Old
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Make your pick:

Liles
Kalinin
Hale
Hainsey
Brad Stuart
Rozsival
Redden
Orpik
Campbell
Jason Smith
I like Liles because I think he's still got untapped potential and seems like a good team guy. Rozsival is also appealing but he's likely to stay with the Rangers. The rest of the list is questionable.

Kalinin is a fragile underachiever.
Hale is just slow and bad.
Hainsey is a case of been there, done that.
Stuart's wife has custody issues and can't leave the West Coast.
Redden, Orpik and Campbell will get way more than they deserve.
Smith is just slow period.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
I like Liles because I think he's still got untapped potential and seems like a good team guy. Rozsival is also appealing but he's likely to stay with the Rangers. The rest of the list is questionable.

Kalinin is a fragile underachiever.
Hale is just slow and bad.
Hainsey is a case of been there, done that.
Stuart's wife has custody issues and can't leave the West Coast.
Redden, Orpik and Campbell will get way more than they deserve.
Smith is just slow period.
Which prooves my point that there's nothing a lot better than Streit in the UFA Market. Liles would be an upgrade though while reading the AVS threads last year, I kept seeing stuff we kept mentioning about Streit all year long. And he will make 1 million more. Redden, Orpik and Campbell are obviously better, but cap friendly? I don't share your opinion on Hale and Kalinin but they do have their deficiencies.

Old
06-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Which prooves my point that there's nothing a lot better than Streit in the UFA Market. Liles would be an upgrade though while reading the AVS threads last year, I kept seeing stuff we kept mentioning about Streit all year long. And he will make 1 million more. Redden, Orpik and Campbell are obviously better, but cap friendly? I don't share your opinion on Hale and Kalinin but they do have their deficiencies.
Streit had 34 pp points reg season(7 goals)

1 powerplay point in the playoffs....

i say there are a few 100 mph slapshots coming to camp . One was in Hamilton last year.Would be nice to be able to play a guy on defense fulltime instead of when he gets shakey on d have to move him upfront to forward.Tanguay will pick up Streits points upfront an on the pp which brings me back to adding a big body who plays physical and has a 102 mph shot .Pavel V?

some feel Ryan M might be one to watch.

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 06-28-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old
06-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Artyukhin*

Pavel Valentenko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEHbLKfWv-I

Old
06-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Streit had 34 pp points reg season(7 goals)

1 powerplay point in the playoffs....

i say there are a few 100 mph slapshots coming to camp . One was in Hamilton last year.Would be nice to be able to play a guy on defense fulltime instead of when he gets shakey on d have to move him upfront to forward.Tanguay will pick up Streits points upfront an on the pp which brings me back to adding a big body who plays physical and has a 102 mph shot .Pavel V?

some feel Ryan M might be one to watch.
A 100 mph shot is nice but accuracy is most important. That's what made Souray so deadly because not only did he have a heavy shot but he could wire it into the top corner pretty reliably. I'd rather have a guy with a good accurate wrist shot than a wild cannon of a slapshot up there. Not only will the wrister be more able to get it through traffic to the net, but the wrister also comes in handy when the Dman joins play and gets a chance to shoot from face off circle.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:09 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I hate .. HATE when people say this.

HE WAS ****ING HURT!

Markov was JUST AS BAD.. and hurt considerably less (He played for Russia, where as Streit, who is a hero in his country was too hurt to suit up).. and he gets no flack at all.

Streit was never 100% after the injury near the end of the regular season.
Being hurt doesn't make you shoot at players' shinpads and turn the puck over.

Yes Markov played poorly, but he played poorly compared to the regular season. It's not like he was making bonehead plays out there like Streit, he was just not playing as himself.

There is no room for Streit on this team, none at all, especially at the price he's probably asking for.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
A 100 mph shot is nice but accuracy is most important. That's what made Souray so deadly because not only did he have a heavy shot but he could wire it into the top corner pretty reliably. I'd rather have a guy with a good accurate wrist shot than a wild cannon of a slapshot up there. Not only will the wrister be more able to get it through traffic to the net, but the wrister also comes in handy when the Dman joins play and gets a chance to shoot from face off circle.
yup for sure.(19 pp goals Souray) vs Streit at 7.....

i dunno who replaces Streit but i wouldnt be surprised to see its a rookie.

Old
06-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

I like that Streit but i have to remind you guys that when he was at defense, the only guy that would hit less than him was...Brisebois! And dont tell me hasnt the shape to hit anyone: Boullion hits like a horse and he's about Streits size so...

On that aspect alone, i say we should let him go and wish him luck.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote