HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zhitnik on waivers

Old
06-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Coburn was not horrible in Atlanta. He has problems because people expected him to be a top pairing defenseman and were disappointed that a 21 year old couldn't.

He made mistakes - like every defenseman that age makes. And then traded.

You can't be so impatient - not everybody comes out dominating at 18. This was a blunder by DW, just based on hype alone. Zhitnik might have saved the season, but that wasn't worth ruining all the upcoming seasons.

A D with Coburn, Bogosian (or whomever) and Enstrom is a very, very good core. Now it's just somewhat solid.
Coburn mostly played on the third pair in Atlanta. He struggled at times with the Chicago Wolves and wasn't focused. I saw him often at practice where he just blundered around basic drills that all the other youngsters had no problems with. I watched McCrimmon deal with him very patiently for extended periods of time and Coburn just didn't get it.

Now, that can all be a question of the type of coaching that he got in Atlanta, fair enough. They tried to work with him, and he didn't respond at all. It was very frustrating, as if he never wanted to be there anyhow.

Popovic and Hnidy were way better in Atlanta than Coburn was.

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 06-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Last year, there was about $10.5 million in dead cap space around the league due to buyouts - and half of that was from Bill Guerin, Alexei Yashin, and Dallas Drake. This year, there's already $11 million [I'm not counting Tanabe until his challenge is decided] with Bates, Raycroft and Zhitnik pending, and we've still got 2 days in the official buyout period and potential buyouts after arbtiration hearings.

And this one won't come cheap, either - $1,503,750 for 2008-09, $1 million for 2009-10.
I'll gladly take the cap hit to get rid of defensemen who is constantly out of position and looks like he just doesn't get a bleep anymore.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Winston Wolf

In terms of lopsidedness, Coburn for Zhitnik is basically the defenseman version of Naslund for Stojanov.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
In terms of lopsidedness, Coburn for Zhitnik is basically the defenseman version of Naslund for Stojanov.
Agreed.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
And this one won't come cheap, either - $1,503,750 for 2008-09, $1 million for 2009-10.
I thought it would effect the 08-09 cap and that was it....why does it effect 2 years?

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
I thought it would effect the 08-09 cap and that was it....why does it effect 2 years?
The cap hit for a buyout is extended over twice the life of the original contract. Since Zhitnik had 1 year left, his buyout is carried across 2 years.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 11:10 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
IB (or somebody else) clear this up for me, please! Why is Bertuzzi an UFA after being put on waivers and Zhitnik, apparently not? Due to age?
bert was bought out.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
bert was bought out.
Thx for clearing that up. I was confused after reading that TSN tibit on Bertuzzi. Always figured that in order to be bought out you have to be waived first.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote