HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Player Inquiry thread...All questions here

Old
06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

vCash: 500
The Player Inquiry thread...All questions here

So I was just reading this thread (http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=484934) speculating about where Hossa will end up. It's probably a long shot, but more and more people are speculating that he may come here. I doubt it's true but I thought I would see what everyone here would think about it, such as possible line ups, would he fit the system, how much he would be payed, would he even work on this team, etc, etc? So...

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't think it will happen, and I really hope it doesn't happen. In order to lure him here we will have to offer him at least 7 years and at least 56 million dollars. That would be playing Russian roulette with five chambers full, for a team in our position.

06-22-2008, 05:05 PM
PhoPhan

Marian Hossa wants a lot of money and a lot of years from a very good, Cup-contending NHL team.

That is, not only shouldn't the Coyotes sign him, they probably couldn't.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Plus for the first time in a decade, we actualy have depth up front. Despite his recent efforts, he still has the reputation of disapearing in the playoffs, which come to think of it, may not have an affect here. But I side with RT, would rather spend the money on the Blue line, especialy now. IF Hossa would do a 2 year deal (& why would he) but for a short term solution may have merrit, but why would he do that?

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
I see him as a very skilled complimentary player. He's not the kind of guy I would offer more than 7M to. And I'm opposed to longterm deals in general. If they did sign him to a ridiculous contract, I'd probably try to enjoy what he brings to the table. It's not that I wouldn't want to add him. I wouldn't want to pay him market value.

I think it's highly unlikely he signs here.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Dan

Long shot is an understatement. There is a better chance of Wade Redden signing with us than Hossa. Hossa will find enough money and years out there to satisfy him, it won't come from Phoenix. Don has his big fish in Jokinen. I believe Don when he says they are committed to leaving spots open for the kids.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:15 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

I was thinking along the same lines as all of you, but I thought this topic should merit some sort of response because it would be a big deal if it did happen.

Would anyone like to play devil's advocate (or if you feel he should be here) and post the why it would be good for him here in the desert? I feel that signing Hossa AND having Olli would attract more fans, but then I don't know how well they both would fit into the system. Also, like many of you, the money is a huge factor for me, especially considering our D line with the loss of Ballard seems to be a more important factor as of right now.

Old
06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
This won't happen and I hope it doesn't happen. Yes he fits under the age requirement that Maloney has set but the Coyotes are rebuilding from with in. They aren't ready to sign high priced free agents and aren't looking for a quick fix Cup run. They are going to keep doing what they are doing no matter how successful their season's are. They are successful because the rebuild is working.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Before we traded for Jokinen, I'd have considered it. Not seriously, but barely.

Now... not on your effin' life.

If we're going to overpay for a free agent, it's gotta be a D-man.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
TucsonYotesFan

I can't see the Yotes handing out the kind of cash/years that it would take to lure Hossa to the desert. For the first time in forever, I think Phoenix is building the team the right way and have a solid and deep foundation of young talent to work with. That being said, I could still see them signing a second tier forward (my choice would be Vrbata for a reasonable price) to allow some of the youngsters to progress/develop at their own pace. I think that bringing back Vrbata, a scoring threat who is defensively responsible, would bring a great deal of balance and flexibility to our 2nd and 3rd lines. Obviously, the onus is on the team to replace Bally and Boynton via trade or free agency but don't count out the signing of one forward.

TucsonYotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

If we can somehow sign him for cheap, lets pull an "Ottawa", deal him the next day for two good Dman and maybe a first rounder.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines as all of you, but I thought this topic should merit some sort of response because it would be a big deal if it did happen.

Would anyone like to play devil's advocate (or if you feel he should be here) and post the why it would be good for him here in the desert?
I love playings Devil's advocate. I can't however for why he should be here, because there is absolutely no way Maloney gives him a 7-8 year contract around $8M per year which is what he'll get on the open market, let alone the 7 year $49M contract he was rumoured to be offered by the Pens.

I can say why it would be good for him here.....Hossa, Jokinen, Doan - legit 90 pt (100pt potential), 80 pt. (90 pt potential), 70 pt (80 pt. potential) players. Jovo, a legit 50 (60 pt potential) dman. Legit Rookie of the year candidate in Turris. And a Vezina (albeit longshot) potential goalie. Add in solid complimentary scorers in Mueller, Rhino, Hanzal, Carcillo, Lisin (IMO anyways), solid checkers in Winnik, TQ, and some Wildcard rookies in Boedker & Porter, etc; and finally 2 solid dmen in Z & Morris, complimentary dman scoring from Yandle, and probably a couple Vet dmen UFA's. Why couldn't that team make the playoffs & compete for a Cup? 6 potential All-Stars, a Rookie of the year candidate, solid leadership, great youth & great goaltending.

How does that sound Marion? Ok, how about if we sign your brother so he can travel with you and be our designated healthy scratch?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:48 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful View Post
How does that sound Marion? Ok, how about if we sign your brother so he can travel with you and be our designated healthy scratch?
Maybe the less talented brother can become the new Teams Masscot.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Maybe the less talented brother can become the new Teams Masscot.
That typo was one of 2 things: 1) Intentional; 2) a Freudian Slip

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful View Post
I love playings Devil's advocate. I can't however for why he should be here, because there is absolutely no way Maloney gives him a 7-8 year contract around $8M per year which is what he'll get on the open market, let alone the 7 year $49M contract he was rumoured to be offered by the Pens.

I can say why it would be good for him here.....Hossa, Jokinen, Doan - legit 90 pt (100pt potential), 80 pt. (90 pt potential), 70 pt (80 pt. potential) players. Jovo, a legit 50 (60 pt potential) dman. Legit Rookie of the year candidate in Turris. And a Vezina (albeit longshot) potential goalie. Add in solid complimentary scorers in Mueller, Rhino, Hanzal, Carcillo, Lisin (IMO anyways), solid checkers in Winnik, TQ, and some Wildcard rookies in Boedker & Porter, etc; and finally 2 solid dmen in Z & Morris, complimentary dman scoring from Yandle, and probably a couple Vet dmen UFA's. Why couldn't that team make the playoffs & compete for a Cup? 6 potential All-Stars, a Rookie of the year candidate, solid leadership, great youth & great goaltending.

Thank you for playing devil's advocate! I can certainly see both sides of the argument so I am still on the fence, albeit leaning more on the side of not wanting him here.

However, another thought just rushed through my head-don't we have the cap room, nay, need someone with the likes of Hossa's money to get above the floor and get somewhere in the middle? Or do we want to just hover above the floor and sign a couple of UFAs this summer to get us above said floor?

Also, maybe we could sign Hossa and then use him as trade bait at the deadline to get some really good top level picks, prospects, etc? I'm just looking at it from a value wise stand point, so if I'm wrong here, by all means fee free to yell at me! If we did sign him to a big contract and then shipped him off at the deadline, would we still be responsible for some (maybe a majority or all?) of his contract? If that's the case, then nevermind the whole trade bait idea.

What I'm really looking to do IF we sign Hossa, is how we can flip him, value wise, for something bigger in the future. Is there any possible way of doing this without pushing out the kids, taking on money for the future after he is gone, etc? A happy medium if you will. I've been reading these boards for years and I know you all can come up with something!

Old
06-23-2008, 01:20 PM
yakko

I imagine the signing of one or two UFAs on defense ought to get the Coyotes over the salary floor.

I imagine getting Hossa to sign with the Coyotes would require them to outbid every other interested team. If that is true, then he would have a terribly burdensome contract that may be difficult to move, especially considering the team the Coyotes would be moving him to had the opportunity to get him for free at the same price. Granted you might have a couple of surprise playoff teams, but it is not really a game I hope to see them play.

The Coyotes just need to play this one straight up, fill the holes on defense and try to be one of those surprise playoff teams that might be looking for an upgrade.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't see Hossa signing anywhere without a no movement clause in his contract. So the whole, "well let's just sign him, see what happens, and trade him if it doesn't work out" thing doesn't really fly.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I imagine the signing of one or two UFAs on defense ought to get the Coyotes over the salary floor.

I imagine getting Hossa to sign with the Coyotes would require them to outbid every other interested team. If that is true, then he would have a terribly burdensome contract that may be difficult to move, especially considering the team the Coyotes would be moving him to had the opportunity to get him for free at the same price. Granted you might have a couple of surprise playoff teams, but it is not really a game I hope to see them play.

The Coyotes just need to play this one straight up, fill the holes on defense and try to be one of those surprise playoff teams that might be looking for an upgrade.
I think you're on to something there. I completely forgot that his contract may not be appealing for most teams and we would be stuck with him. I'm just being greedy and trying to find a way to get more picks and/or prospects for next year. Heck, maybe even a good young Dman or two that can fill the void of Ballard and Boynton. Hossa isn't looking so appealing right now at all from any angle.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:50 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't see Hossa signing anywhere without a no movement clause in his contract. So the whole, "well let's just sign him, see what happens, and trade him if it doesn't work out" thing doesn't really fly.
Valid point rt. I didn't think about that either.

Old
06-23-2008, 02:19 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Mueller Turris Doan
Boedker Jokinen (Marion) Hossa

Best 2 first lines in the NHL in 2-3 years?

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Ominous

Send a message via AIM to Ominous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets Fan View Post
Mueller Turris Doan
Boedker Jokinen (Marion) Hossa

Best 2 first lines in the NHL in 2-3 years?
or instead of Hossa you could put lisin, Maclean, Tikhonov, Porter, or Kolarik

I'm willing to bet one of those guys will be a good 2nd line guy.

Ominous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
AgentM

What kind of player is Vrbata?

Hey guys, Pens fan here. With the code red over Hossa testing the UFA waters everyone on our board is going over all of the other free agent wingers out there. One that has piqued a few guys interest is your Radim Vrbata. All I really know about him is that he's young, a right handed shot (something we lack), and had a breakout season last year.

But I wanted to know what style of game he plays. Is he responsible in his own end? And what do you attribute his having a good season to? Thanks in advance for your time guys!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Kaizen

A large part of his success was TGO affording him ample ice time. He's also a strong shootout performer.

Is there enough icetime to go around in Pittsburgh?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Hey guys, Pens fan here. With the code red over Hossa testing the UFA waters everyone on our board is going over all of the other free agent wingers out there. One that has piqued a few guys interest is your Radim Vrbata. All I really know about him is that he's young, a right handed shot (something we lack), and had a breakout season last year.

But I wanted to know what style of game he plays. Is he responsible in his own end? And what do you attribute his having a good season to? Thanks in advance for your time guys!
He's pretty good defensively, he was on our second PK unit and had a few shorties throughout the year(Not really a measure of defensive ability, but they're always nice.). I personally can't pinpoint any one reason for his breakout. If I had to take a stab at it, it would be more quality ice time with good playmakers (Hanzal, Reinprecht.). The major red flag with Vrbata is his inconsistancy, his final numbers were good, but he's pretty streaky. He went the last 22 games of the season without a goal and only about 3 assists in the timeframe.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
A large part of his success was TGO affording him ample ice time. He's also a strong shootout performer.

Is there enough icetime to go around in Pittsburgh?
Since we could be losing 3 of our 4 wings from our top two lines (only Sykora is signed thru next year) I'd expect him to play with Sid or Geno if he came to Pittsburgh. And he'd be the right handed shot our PP has lacked the past two seasons.

Does he play both wings or just on the right side?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote