HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Player Inquiry thread...All questions here

Old
07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
It's my opinion that the safest course of action is to send Boedker back to junior - there is very little downside while playing him in the NHL before he is ready could have very long lasting consequences on his overall development.

Having said that, DM is nothing if not patient so I'm confident in his judgement - I'd say the odds are basically even whether or not Boedker plays beyond an early season trial.
I dont think it'll be DM's call. It's gonna be Gretzky and his man-crush or lack thereof all the way....

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Kaizen

vCash: 500
TGO will definitely be part of the process but to say DM won't have any input would certainly be offbase. Let's just say it will be "an organizational decision".

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:51 AM
arfalk

Peter Mueller

What do you guys see Mueller's role with this team next year and the future? Do you think he'll play on the top line?

arfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfalk View Post
What do you guys see Mueller's role with this team next year and the future? Do you think he'll play on the top line?
Yipper. Top line, goal scoring winger getting lots of icetime.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
hbk

Quote:
he was playing on the top line in his rookie season.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 11:29 AM
arfalk

Just curious, are new threads normally moved on this site? I didn't think there was anything wrong with posting a new thread regarding one of the Coyotes young stars.

Old
08-02-2008, 01:40 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Just curious, are new threads normally moved on this site? I didn't think there was anything wrong with posting a new thread regarding one of the Coyotes young stars.
Don't take offense. Lots of Fantasy players (like you I assume), video gamers, and fans of other teams inquire about our young players. If the Mods didn't create this thread, there would be about 30 threads titled "Peter Mueller".

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
arfalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
Don't take offense. Lots of Fantasy players (like you I assume), video gamers, and fans of other teams inquire about our young players. If the Mods didn't create this thread, there would be about 30 threads titled "Peter Mueller".
Fair enough, I wasn't offended, more just surprised.

And no, I'm not a fantasy pooler, at least not in this circumstance. Just interested more than anything. Though if I were in a keeper pool I'd definetly consider drafting Mueller.

Thanks!

Old
08-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Eazy T

Carcillo Goal Scoring Potential

Hi Yotes fans,

About Carcillo, I alway wondered what kind of goal totals he can put up in his prime, any ideas? Does he have enough talent for a 25 goal campaign, given the right ice time and line mates?

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 03:51 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
About Carcillo, I alway wondered what kind of goal totals he can put up in his prime, any ideas? Does he have enough talent for a 25 goal campaign, given the right ice time and line mates?
Yes, definitely. But you're safer looking for the 15-20 goals he pro-rated playing last year. At least for a few seasons. But Doan and Gretzky told him they want him to hit 30, so who knows

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Hi Yotes fans,

If Roenick didn't wreck Danny's knee, and if he kept his yap shut a little more to avoid being thrown out of every other game, he'd have had 25 goals, last year.

08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
stupendousman

Wanted to see what people thought of Kevin Porter's chances of sticking withe the big club this coming season.

stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Wanted to see what people thought of Kevin Porter's chances of sticking withe the big club this coming season.
My guess is that he makes the team. He's older and more well rounded than a lot of his rookie competition. There are several spots open for rookies, and while I don't expect him to be given a spot, I can definitely see him earning one.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
ducky

While I expected Porter to make the team last year I think he will be an impact player this season.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:11 AM
BGDDYKWL

Obviously there's been a lot of talk in these threads about Porter, Kolarik, Boedker, Tikhonov, etc., but I don't know of too many guys who go straight from college to being significant producers in the NHL. Obviously this first question is directed more towards Porter/Kolarik, but I don't think it's at all realistic to expect them to even make the team out of camp, let alone be factors this season. Maybe I'm wrong though, so for those who know more about them please elaborate.

Boedker I can understand making an impact, as he was over a point a game guy in the OHL (and tore it up in the playoffs), but a lot of times guys (even very solid prospects) take a year or so before they really make an impact at the NHL level, so again, realistic expectations should be pretty low for him as well.

As for Tikhonov, the guy was FOURTEENTH on his team in scoring, so I'm wondering once again how people think he's going to immediately come in and make any impact whatsoever.

Also, Lisin is another guy who I'm far from sold on. He didn't do anything in the AHL to demonstrate that he'll be a serious scoring threat, so I'm far from confident that there's a big upside there. (Clearly he's the most established of the guys I mentioned though, so I'm certainly not doubting he'll have a roster spot out of camp.)

And just so we're clear, I'm not looking for an argument here, I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the players I've mentioned, in terms of people's reasoning behind these guys' performance expectations this year.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Porter and Kolarik have spent four years in college, so they're older and more developed than most prospects - I think both will be 22 years old. Im hoping Porter can have a rookie season similar to that of Erik Cole who made his breakthrough at a similar age. I dont expect Kolarik to make it but he outshined Porter with some great performances for San Antonio so he cant be discounted especially if they bring some defensive acumen that is lacking on the team.

I think you're being harsh on Tikhonov. Russian teams rarely give 19 year olds much ice time even if they're talented. 14th is not particularly surprising.. and he played about 10-15 games less so he probably is closer to top 12. I dont think many people are pencilling him in, just saying he has a chance.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Porter and Kolarik have spent four years in college, so they're older and more developed than most prospects - I think both will be 22 years old. Im hoping Porter can have a rookie season similar to that of Erik Cole who made his breakthrough at a similar age. I dont expect Kolarik to make it but he outshined Porter with some great performances for San Antonio so he cant be discounted especially if they bring some defensive acumen that is lacking on the team.

I think you're being harsh on Tikhonov. Russian teams rarely give 19 year olds much ice time even if they're talented. 14th is not particularly surprising.. and he played about 10-15 games less so he probably is closer to top 12. I dont think many people are pencilling him in, just saying he has a chance.
Given that Porter and Kolarik played together for so long they can be kept together for an instant 3rd line that already comes with chemistry. Based on roookie camp Turris and Boedker also have some chemistry and could make a good 2nd line. Anyhow, that's what I would like to see. I can also see Carcillo playing with Turris and Boedker. I'd be happy seeing Tik with Porter and Kolarik except they will want to squeeze in Fedoruk and McGrattan somewhere. There's really gonna be some very stiff competition for spots. I would have been happy if they were able to sign Vrbata but they couldn't, so there are only three 20+ goal scorers on the roster and we need two or three more to make the playoffs.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 05:27 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
. I would have been happy if they were able to sign Vrbata but they couldn't, so there are only three 20+ goal scorers on the roster and we need two or three more to make the playoffs.
My list for people getting 20+ goals this season are.

Doan(mr consistency)
Jokinen(5 staight seasons)
Mueller(playing top line)
Turris(great shot will get opportunity)
Carcillo( less penalties sure would help)
Hanzal(gretzky wants him to shoot more)
Boedker(my darkhorse)

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

question from a ranger fan:

what kind of chances did sjostrom get with you guys? was he ever looked at in the top 6? if so, with whom and how well did he do? would you say he has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer given top 6 minutes and a good set up player like gomez?

thanks

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I'm sure you'll get mixed opinions from the board on Sjo.

He's had several chances at a top 6 role in Phoenix over the years with differing linemates, but never did well enough to hold onto a top 6 slot. I've believed since he was drafted that he has top 6 potential, but after the past few years it looks doubtful he'd ever realize that potential.

The biggest reason may be he just doesn't seem to have a knack for finishing opportunities. Not sure how much of that to assess to decision making, shot selection, etc. He has a lot of very good qualities like good skating and responsible defense, but putting the puck in the net just doesn't seem to be one of them.

I think it's likely he is what he appears to be: a 10-15 goal 3rd line player. But then again, the potential still remains. Maybe he can finally breakthrough.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 06:21 PM
hbk

Sjostrom has very good tools. He's a very good skater. He has a very good shot. He plays very good defensively. At the end of the day though, the results on the score sheet just don't correlate to his talent level. There's something missing that prevents him from putting everything together and being a 20-30 goal scorer. Maybe it's effort. Maybe it's desire. It's frustrating though as he's the type of player you'd like to see succeed.

I would not be shocked if at some point he puts up a 20 goal season and earns himself a big money contract only to disappear again on the score sheet the following year.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Ginger28

Bourret??

Do you guys think Alex Bourret will finally show something positive with Phoenix? Or is it already too late for him? Could he make the cut this year?

thanks.

Ginger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Do you guys think Alex Bourret will finally show something positive with Phoenix? Or is it already too late for him? Could he make the cut this year? thanks.
I'm sure a lot of people here would disagree with me, but I think he has at least as good of a chance of making the club as Porter, Kolarik, or Tikhonov.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:39 PM
_Del_

I'd agree with this. Bourret's got a little experience under his belt, and could factor in the bottom 6, while the other kids get quality ice time in SA. I don't think he's destined for the top six as was hoped for when he was drafted, but I definitely see him as an effective NHL player.

As for Sjo I'd like to see him hit 20 and it could happen if he found chemistry with someone, but I think it's safer to hope for the 10-15g and constant motor he brings in a bottom 6 role.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Devil Dancer

Did Hanzal have back surgery recently? k1llua mentioned something about that in the rumors forum. If he did have surgery, what's the prognosis?

Thanks in advance, I'm rooting for the 'Yotes in the West.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote