HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers Summer Sizzle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2008, 05:17 PM
  #1
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Florida Panthers Summer Sizzle

Anybody watch it? Was a cool half hour show. One thing that obviously stood out to me was Potvin said he was looking forward to seeing Frolik joining the other young talent on this team. Obviously this was scripted, so it does in fact seem like the organization is extremely confident Frolik is making this team, as if it hasn't already been insinuated.

I've always felt that whenever Frolik was ready for the NHL, he would have a very solid rookie season. Personally, I didn't think it would be at least until halfway through this season, but obviously the Panthers think he's ready now and they know better than me. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he put up 30+ points next year. He's going to be a treat to watch, he'll be a very exciting and creative player, and he's going to be one of our best shootout players, I'm calling that now. I'm excited.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
  #2
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Anybody watch it? Was a cool half hour show. One thing that obviously stood out to me was Potvin said he was looking forward to seeing Frolik joining the other young talent on this team. Obviously this was scripted, so it does in fact seem like the organization is extremely confident Frolik is making this team, as if it hasn't already been insinuated.

I've always felt that whenever Frolik was ready for the NHL, he would have a very solid rookie season. Personally, I didn't think it would be at least until halfway through this season, but obviously the Panthers think he's ready now and they know better than me. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he put up 30+ points next year. He's going to be a treat to watch, he'll be a very exciting and creative player, and he's going to be one of our best shootout players, I'm calling that now. I'm excited.
Do you think he along with Matthias can take the place of Olli? Other than seeing Matthias last season for the 4 games he was up,I haven't really seen these players play,and my biggiest issue now is that we really don't have a top line. Do you think a top line of Frolik-Matthias-Horton would be our top line? If not,who could you see as our top line? Do you think Repik would make the team?
I am asking only because I have not seen these players play,and I don't know if they would make an immediate imact on our team, or if we could use a guy like Huselius or Rolston? THanks for the update anyways

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:17 PM
  #3
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Do you think he along with Matthias can take the place of Olli? Other than seeing Matthias last season for the 4 games he was up,I haven't really seen these players play,and my biggiest issue now is that we really don't have a top line. Do you think a top line of Frolik-Matthias-Horton would be our top line? If not,who could you see as our top line? Do you think Repik would make the team?
I am asking only because I have not seen these players play,and I don't know if they would make an immediate imact on our team, or if we could use a guy like Huselius or Rolston? THanks for the update anyways
Idk about totally taking the place of a PPG player, it's somewhat possible, if both have magnificent seasons and get 35+ points, but unlikely. I predict about 25 points from Frolik and 30 points from Matthias. Like I said however, I would not be surprised at all if Frolik puts up 30+ points. He really is the X-factor. It all depends on how fast he adjusts to the NHL, the physical aspect of it, mostly. Also something to monitor is how Olli does next season. Will he regain his old form? That's a question mark. If not, the combined production from Matthias and Frolik could possibly exceed that of Olli, and when I say that, that's not a big stretch. Matthias is also a great defensive player. He will automatically become one of our best defensive forwards and that will also cut down on a lot of opposition scoring chances, and therefore goals. He's a player that you can't measure strictly by points, because he brings so many intangibles. I think a lot of Panther fans are going to love how he kills penalties, especially under DeBoer, if and when he gets the chance. His hockey IQ is really outstanding for a player of his age, and his long reach on the PK is extremely effective. Also, once he gets the puck on the PK and has some room, look out. He is going coast to coast with it. Also something to consider, is that our defense will be better and our transition game will also be better, which will improve our offense.

I don't see Repik making the team this year. I think the top 3 lines will be something like:

Booth-Weiss-Horton
Frolik-Kreps-Olesz
McLean-Matthias-Zednik

Frolik and McLean are very interchangeable also IMO.

Could we use Huselius? Yeah, probably. Is he soft? Yes. Does he stink defensively? Yes. Does he give 100% effort on every shift, or at least does it seem like it? No. Would he be a proven top six player for us? Yes. Would JM ever bring him back? No. With all that being said, even excluding JM not wanting to bring him back, I'd rather go with Frolik over Huselius, if that's what it came down to. But we can still add someone through UFA, and have Frolik and Matthias both make the team. There's other people we could trade. Zednik for one pops into mind. He's cheap, only has 1 year left on his contract, and even if we put him on waivers I'm sure someone would claim him. We could definitely use Rolston, but he'll be one of the most sought after UFA's, I wouldn't get my hopes up on him coming here. I guess what you're also kind of asking is will we be OK if we don't sign any UFA's....I think we will. It won't look like it on paper, but IMO we will.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:04 PM
  #4
sinDer
Registered User
 
sinDer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drummondville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Frolik-Kreps-Olesz
McLean-Matthias-Zednik



We're in serious trouble

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:47 PM
  #5
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Frolik-Kreps-Olesz
McLean-Matthias-Zednik



We're in serious trouble
Thats not that bad....

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
  #6
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
I think Frolik could excel on the PP atleast during his first year. Matthias offers more than just offence so he'll be fine either way.

The only kind of FAs I'd be looking at this season would be stop gap players as insurance for the rookies. Next season when we lose some of those contracts perhaps the team can look at adding impact FAs to go along with the young talent.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:49 AM
  #7
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I think Frolik could excel on the PP atleast during his first year. Matthias offers more than just offence so he'll be fine either way.

The only kind of FAs I'd be looking at this season would be stop gap players as insurance for the rookies. Next season when we lose some of those contracts perhaps the team can look at adding impact FAs to go along with the young talent.
Frolik plays the exact same position that Jokinen does on the PP, the right point. Except that Frolik is both the quarterback and a shooter, whereas Jokinen is just a shooter. If he can step into the same role quickly here, that would be huge for us. But the safer projection is that he probably starts on the 2nd unit, with Bouw and Ballard on the 1st.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:53 AM
  #8
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Frolik-Kreps-Olesz
McLean-Matthias-Zednik



We're in serious trouble

I am not sure how much I like those top 3 lines.

Id rather Rolston/???-Matthias-Horton as our top line
then Frolik-Weiss-Booth
then Zednik-Kreps-Dvo

I'd rather have Matthias as our top center,or at best #2 center. Hopefully we grab a FA like Rolston to be on the top line, move Frolik to 2nd with Booth and whichever center is there. Dvo-Kreps-Zed would be a really fast line,but I am not sure how great of a scoring threat they would be. They have great speed,but Dvo and Zed kinda only have 1 move and then they lose the puck. Maybe trade one of the two, move Mclean on 3rd line,and then have a Belak-Campbell-Monty 4th line.


Last edited by Pantherfan12: 06-29-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:33 AM
  #9
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I am not sure how much I like those top 3 lines.

Id rather Rolston/???-Matthias-Horton as our top line
then Frolik-Weiss-Booth
then Zednik-Kreps-Dvo

I'd rather have Matthias as our top center,or at best #2 center. Hopefully we grab a FA like Rolston to be on the top line, move Frolik to 2nd with Booth and whichever center is there. Dvo-Kreps-Zed would be a really fast line,but I am not sure how great of a scoring threat they would be. They have great speed,but Dvo and Zed kinda only have 1 move and then they lose the puck. Maybe trade one of the two, move Mclean on 3rd line,and then have a Belak-Campbell-Monty 4th line.
Matthias will not be the 1st line center. He's not ready for that role yet and Weiss and Kreps are better players than him(at least for right now). He could conceivably move up to the 2nd line center spot later in the season, but I don't think he will be getting top line center minutes for at least 2 seasons, and even that's a wishful projection. He's not a Kane/Toews type talent.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:14 AM
  #10
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Anybody watch it? Was a cool half hour show. One thing that obviously stood out to me was Potvin said he was looking forward to seeing Frolik joining the other young talent on this team. Obviously this was scripted, so it does in fact seem like the organization is extremely confident Frolik is making this team, as if it hasn't already been insinuated.

I've always felt that whenever Frolik was ready for the NHL, he would have a very solid rookie season. Personally, I didn't think it would be at least until halfway through this season, but obviously the Panthers think he's ready now and they know better than me. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he put up 30+ points next year. He's going to be a treat to watch, he'll be a very exciting and creative player, and he's going to be one of our best shootout players, I'm calling that now. I'm excited.
Is he really expected to play this year? Frolik?

I know JM isn't the coach anymore, but he's known for making guys wait...I hope he can make it...I'm a Caps fan and I want to see him play this year...I've read a LOT about him and it's time to see it in action.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
  #11
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Is he really expected to play this year? Frolik?

I know JM isn't the coach anymore, but he's known for making guys wait...I hope he can make it...I'm a Caps fan and I want to see him play this year...I've read a LOT about him and it's time to see it in action.
The organization seems very confident he'll make the team. JM is known for making guys wait only if they're not ready. They seem to think he's ready.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
  #12
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Matthias will not be the 1st line center. He's not ready for that role yet and Weiss and Kreps are better players than him(at least for right now). He could conceivably move up to the 2nd line center spot later in the season, but I don't think he will be getting top line center minutes for at least 2 seasons, and even that's a wishful projection. He's not a Kane/Toews type talent.
Well in all honesty, Matthias was on the top line with Olli and Olesz I think? not sure who the other winger was,but he did very well. In his 2nd game, he had 2 goals that night, so who knows.
I also hope JM surprises everyone ,like he did with the coach he signed, and goes after someone like Rolston or even Hossa! I know Hossa is a longshot, but who wouldn't love that surprise. All in all, I hope we have a great team next season , and I hope they make the playoffs and finally shutup the hockey world with the trash talk about Fl.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:19 PM
  #13
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Well in all honesty, Matthias was on the top line with Olli and Olesz I think? not sure who the other winger was,but he did very well. In his 2nd game, he had 2 goals that night, so who knows.
I also hope JM surprises everyone ,like he did with the coach he signed, and goes after someone like Rolston or even Hossa! I know Hossa is a longshot, but who wouldn't love that surprise. All in all, I hope we have a great team next season , and I hope they make the playoffs and finally shutup the hockey world with the trash talk about Fl.
Well, a 4 game stint is quite different than being a 1st line center for an entire season. I've seen Matthias in more than 10 games this season, and he's shown nothing to indicate that he would be capable of stepping into the NHL and handling a role like that. He's a great player, but like I said, he's not going to step in and score 70 points like Kane.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:46 PM
  #14
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Well, a 4 game stint is quite different than being a 1st line center for an entire season. I've seen Matthias in more than 10 games this season, and he's shown nothing to indicate that he would be capable of stepping into the NHL and handling a role like that. He's a great player, but like I said, he's not going to step in and score 70 points like Kane.
If we put matthias out there on the first line i guarantee at least 50 points, but we won't because it MIGHT hurt him to do it immediately at the beggining of the season. We will probobly start him on the third, then move him up when we need to scramble the lines, and then move him again when we need another shake-up.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
  #15
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,855
vCash: 813
christ sake our lineup looks like an ahl team

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:35 PM
  #16
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
christ sake our lineup looks like an ahl team
Wrong.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:13 PM
  #17
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
If we put matthias out there on the first line i guarantee at least 50 points, but we won't because it MIGHT hurt him to do it immediately at the beggining of the season. We will probobly start him on the third, then move him up when we need to scramble the lines, and then move him again when we need another shake-up.
50 points? I wouldn't go that far. He's good, but he's not that good.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:52 PM
  #18
Danny Tanner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
50 points? I wouldn't go that far. He's good, but he's not that good.
if matthias is "ready" for the nhl, 50 points is not only not out of the question but probably expected by management. if he's scoring less than that on a scoring line he isn't ready. if he puts up 15+15 playing in offensive situations...it's a pretty terrible season. we could just let brett mclean do that and he obviously is not a top-6 player.

they're not going to call him up to play the role of a checker...despite his big body, he's being groomed to be a top-6 player, so playing him in anything but a scoring role will hurt his development, similar to how it has with olesz.

if he can't reach 50 points (or close to it...), he shouldn't make the team and jacques and co. should be searching for a stopgap until he is ready. he's comparing matthias (it seems) to guys like toews, mueller, etc. so apperantly he thinks he's ready to produce top-6 numbers. we'll see.


Last edited by Danny Tanner*: 06-29-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:28 PM
  #19
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
if matthias is "ready" for the nhl, 50 points is not only not out of the question but probably expected by management. if he's scoring less than that on a scoring line he isn't ready. if he puts up 15+15 playing in offensive situations...it's a pretty terrible season. we could just let brett mclean do that and he obviously is not a top-6 player.

they're not going to call him up to play the role of a checker...despite his big body, he's being groomed to be a top-6 player, so playing him in anything but a scoring role will hurt his development, similar to how it has with olesz.

if he can't reach 50 points (or close to it...), he shouldn't make the team and jacques and co. should be searching for a stopgap until he is ready. he's comparing matthias (it seems) to guys like toews, mueller, etc. so apperantly he thinks he's ready to produce top-6 numbers. we'll see.
50 is not out of the question, but it certainly should not be expected. However, unless a stop gap is signed then Matthias getting 50 points is probably one of the things that would be needed to make the playoffs.

This is why I am in favour of the stop gap solution, so Matthias and co can spend time in the AHL and aren't forced to be on the big club if they aren't ready.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
  #20
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
if matthias is "ready" for the nhl, 50 points is not only not out of the question but probably expected by management. if he's scoring less than that on a scoring line he isn't ready. if he puts up 15+15 playing in offensive situations...it's a pretty terrible season. we could just let brett mclean do that and he obviously is not a top-6 player.

they're not going to call him up to play the role of a checker...despite his big body, he's being groomed to be a top-6 player, so playing him in anything but a scoring role will hurt his development, similar to how it has with olesz.

if he can't reach 50 points (or close to it...), he shouldn't make the team and jacques and co. should be searching for a stopgap until he is ready. he's comparing matthias (it seems) to guys like toews, mueller, etc. so apperantly he thinks he's ready to produce top-6 numbers. we'll see.
No, trust me man, this kid ain't getting 50 points next year. I've seen him play in more than 10 games this season in the OHL, NHL, WJC, and Memorial Cup. I have a very good sense of what type of player he is, what he's capable of and what he's not capable of. Management does not expect him to put up 50 points. He's projected to be a 60-80 point player at his peak, leaning more towards the 60 side. No, he shouldn't be on a scoring line, that's why I said he starts on the 3rd line, which isn't automatically a "checking" line. How many 3rd lines nowadays are actually checking lines? Most teams now roll 3 scoring lines. Did we have a checking line last season? No.

The way you properly develop Matthias is start him out on the 3rd line. There, he doesn't have the pressure to produce top 6 numbers and can make a comfortable transition to the NHL(see Kreps). Olesz's development was hurt because we rushed him to the NHL, not the other way around. Even JM admitted this last season. JM's not comparing Matthias to Toews and Mueller. He said Chicago and Phoenix had success last season with infusions of youth into their lineup, and indicated we could have similar success by bringing in Matthias and Frolik into our lineup. But I don't think in his wildest dreams he expects either of them to put up Toews or Mueller type numbers. He's just making a broad comparison. For what to expect from Matthias next season IMO, see Sergei Kostitsyn, not Jonathan Toews.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
  #21
39ontheline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Thats not that bad....
How is this lineup "not that bad" Maybe in EHM land it's a good roster but in the real nhl its a train wreck.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:08 AM
  #22
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
How is this lineup "not that bad" Maybe in EHM land it's a good roster but in the real nhl its a train wreck.
As is, the lineup could use some

Maybe this year, JM can pick up Ryder at the least. He could be had for a contract similiar to Zednik, 1.2-1.7 million, and is coming off a similiarly bad year; maybe the risk works out better this year.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:30 AM
  #23
IceBreaker
Registered User
 
IceBreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Frolik plays the exact same position that Jokinen does on the PP, the right point.

Frolik played the right half wall for the Czech Rep at the WJC last year. Voracek was the right point and QB.

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
  #24
IceBreaker
Registered User
 
IceBreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
if matthias is "ready" for the nhl, 50 points is not only not out of the question.
Matthias has nowhere to hide in this lineup.
Assuming for a minute that he makes the team as a regular, and plays 70 games or so, I expect there will be stretches of 5 to 10 games at a time where he is held off the scoreboard. He may get more ice time with this lineup than with a more star-studded team, but I think his point total will still be in the 20-25 range.

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
  #25
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
Matthias has nowhere to hide in this lineup.
Assuming for a minute that he makes the team as a regular, and plays 70 games or so, I expect there will be stretches of 5 to 10 games at a time where he is held off the scoreboard. He may get more ice time with this lineup than with a more star-studded team, but I think his point total will still be in the 20-25 range.
20-25?! No, thats WAY off..probobly 40 if he plays 70 games, 45 if he plays a full season.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.