HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 4 (Mats needs more time to decide)

View Poll Results: When do we trigger plan B?
BAIL OUT NOW!!! We had our chance, go after HOSSA! 63 50.81%
3 days 9 7.26%
5 days 3 2.42%
ALL the way baby! Show our commitment to a respected stellar star 49 39.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Hossa!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2580

Old
06-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Relax guys, this is hockey here.

If this dosent work out, BG will have to make a trade. He wants a center and will probably give up a few prospects, its pretty simple.

Chances of Sundin signing here now are dwindling by the hour.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Relax guys, this is hockey here.

If this dosent work out, BG will have to make a trade. He wants a center and will probably give up a few prospects, its pretty simple.

Chances of Sundin signing here now are dwindling by the hour.
Which means if he does sign, the board will implode from the unexpected shock. Stock up on supplies just in case, people!

Old
06-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2420...s=secStory_nhl

still undecided..

Old
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Somebody seriously needs to explain that one to me. So Sundin really thinks that teams will save 8 millions on their salary cap just in case he finally decides he's coming back? Wouldn't teams go for plan B, C, D? How is that wise for them to not do anything in case he decides to comeback and then see if he's interested in playing for their team?

I just don't buy it. His agents and himself cannot be that stupid. Or he's really undecided and is willing to play in Europe if there's no room for him here.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Holy ****. Just ****ing make up your mind

Old
06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somebody seriously needs to explain that one to me. So Sundin really thinks that teams will save 8 millions on their salary cap just in case he finally decides he's coming back? Wouldn't teams go for plan B, C, D? How is that wise for them to not do anything in case he decides to comeback and then see if he's interested in playing for their team?

I just don't buy it. His agents and himself cannot be that stupid. Or he's really undecided and is willing to play in Europe if there's no room for him here.
He'll end up in Columbus or Nashville or something.

waffledave
Old
06-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
He'll end up in Columbus or Nashville or something.
But....But....But.....it seems that he doesn't want to play in the West.....

I'm wondering....how's Dallas salary cap? I feel like another team that is not talked about will come and get him while everybody expects the usual suspects teams to get him.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:42 PM
SpreeEndaz

Oh well, whatever happens, we will be able to say Sundin was a Montreal Canadiens for a week and a half (having the exclusive rights do mean we possess his contract until July 1st right ?)

Old
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

and according to Eklund...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15942

Quote:
Rumour: SUNDIN decision imminent I am told...but then again it is Mats...A source just told me that a few of Mats friends feel that Montreal could already be done.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:45 PM
shutehinside

According to the article, his two agents are urging him to make a decision soon. They probably already know that the teams who are bidding for his service are also going to bid on the likes of Hossa, Jagr and any other player that they feel will improve thier team. They will jump on who ever is available so as not to risk missing out on an impact player. That being said, I'm sure Montreal has told Mats he has till the 1st or they will make offers to other players and he may not have the pick of teams he may want.

This isn't as simple as him taking untio August to make up his mind, simply put, if he doesn't decide in a few days he may not have a dance partner other then bottom feeders that have cap space but no playoff aspirations.

I predict he will come to a decision before or very shortly after 12pm on July 1st. Oh, I somehow do believe he will end up in Montreal.

Quote:
But....But....But.....it seems that he doesn't want to play in the West.....

I'm wondering....how's Dallas salary cap? I feel like another team that is not talked about will come and get him while everybody expects the usual suspects teams to get him.
VANCOUVER!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-30-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old
06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Press Conference tomorrow

Old
06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
"Rumour: SUNDIN decision imminent I am told...but then again it is Mats...A source just told me that a few of Mats friends feel that Montreal could already be done."

English question: As in "Montreal isn't on the Sundin case anymore?"

Old
06-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
"Rumour: SUNDIN decision imminent I am told...but then again it is Mats...A source just told me that a few of Mats friends feel that Montreal could already be done."

It was RDS who said that Sundin would not sign before July 1st, not Eklund.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:

He means that a deal with Montreal could already be done.

But it's Eklund so probably not..

Old
06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
According to the article, his two agents are urging him to make a decision soon. They probably already know that the teams who are bidding for his service are also going to bid on the likes of Hossa, Jagr and any other player that they feel will improve thier team. They will jump on who ever is available so as not to risk missing out on an impact player. That being said, I'm sure Montreal has told Mats he has till the 1st or they will make offers to other players and he may not have the pick of teams he may want.

This isn't as simple as him taking untio August to make up his mind, simply put, if he doesn't decide in a few days he may not have a dance partner other then bottom feeders that have cap space but no playoff aspirations.

I predict he will come to a decision before or very shortly after 12pm on July 1st. Oh, I somehow do believe he will end up in Montreal.
You cannot be undecided today and suddenly be sure of your decision 2 days after just because it's UFA time. Either he'll take a lot more time 'cause he really has no idea and is ready to take the risk that teams won't have cap space or he'll sign 1 week after and wasn't that undecided after all but is still waiting for the right offer to help him "make his mind"..........

Old
06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
znk

Quote:

as a deal could be done.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:51 PM
MatthewB

I am pretty sure Hossa is not going to end up a Hab.. It just dosent make sense to throw 8million/yr for 6plus years with all the players the Habs will have to sign within the next 3 years.. Plus we already have a set of wingers our needs are a center, and possibly a dman.

As for SUNDIN his deadline for signing is montreal is probally Tuesday at 11:59am, if he as not signed or signed in principle by that time Gainey will go after his plan B which may look like a Breden Morrison(center) and a Micheal Rozival(defense).. or a Brian Rolston (can play center)..

Gainey will NOT sit around tuesday afternoon and wait for Mats to decide while the other 29 nhl teams make there offers. And although Mats is one of the top 2 UFA forwards out there teams like the rangers, canadiens, leafs, red wings, etc.. are not going to wait forever and miss out on adding UFA's to their respective teams.

Last edited by MatthewB: 06-29-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
znk

Quote:

Maybe that's what he wants....no real place to play so it can help him decide to retire.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
RE-HABS

The whole Sundin issue is being over blown!

There is no way Sundin can honestly think that 30 teams are going to wait 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months to see if he wants to play. This isn't Anaheim where your name is Niedermeyer and your already under contract!

Simply put, if Mats isn't signed by July 1st, 2nd or even to the 10th then the teams that will have cap space for him and are legit contenders will have already have went after their UFA targets and will have tried to re-sign all RFA's or budget for their RFA's.

He is good, but even being that good you can miss the boat.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
God I hope Eklund finally gets one right...I don't think he's ever been close with anything Habs-related.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
as a deal could be done.
Well, that's what I understood but when I re-read the sentence, I hesitated and thought that synthaxically speaking, it meant more that Montreal would be done trying.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
You cannot be undecided today and suddenly be sure of your decision 2 days after just because it's UFA time. Either he'll take a lot more time 'cause he really has no idea and is ready to take the risk that teams won't have cap space or he'll sign 1 week after and wasn't that undecided after all but is still waiting for the right offer to help him "make his mind"..........
Why not? Is there a minimum amount of time that he has to wait to decide?

Maybe he just wants to hear what the other offers are, which he will at 12pm sharp, then he can go where he can make the most and have the best chance.

The fact he's undecided doesn't mean anything. Suppose there are 3 teams who he wants to play for and they make offers to other players on July 1st that eats up their cap space, then he might as well retire. He knows who he would want to play for an the second he realizes one of them signs a Hossa, he'll make a decision right quick.

Time, cap space and the number of possible teams are playing against him and they are not going to wait forever for him to make a decision, so yes UFA time will force him to make a decision soon.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:00 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
God I hope Eklund finally gets one right...I don't think he's ever been close with anything Habs-related.
The problem with Eklund he reports every rumor he hears...McKenzie would never be crediable if he did that. But, McKenzie probably hears directly from a front office person...not like Eklund who is hearing from a person in the organization associated some how with a person from the front office.

He has gotten a lot right, more wrong that right...but he was the first to report that Malone had a deal done today hours before everyone else.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

So, 2 updates tonight..

TSN - Sundin still undecided. They speculate he can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for decision.

Eklund - Sundin deal with Montreal could be already done.

Man I want to believe Eklund.

But unfortunately, for us in this situation anyways, TSN >>>>>>>>>>>>> Eklund.

Closed Thread