HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 4 (Mats needs more time to decide)

View Poll Results: When do we trigger plan B?
BAIL OUT NOW!!! We had our chance, go after HOSSA! 63 50.81%
3 days 9 7.26%
5 days 3 2.42%
ALL the way baby! Show our commitment to a respected stellar star 49 39.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2008, 11:03 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Well, that's what I understood but when I re-read the sentence, I hesitated and thought that synthaxically speaking, it meant more that Montreal would be done trying.
Could be a way for Eklund to cover his ass. But note he said "Could already be done" not "Could be done"

Old
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Could be a way for Eklund to cover his ass. But note he said "Could already be done" not "Could be done"
Eklund is not clever enough to make double-sense sentences that would fit with any development.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Why not? Is there a minimum amount of time that he has to wait to decide?

Maybe he just wants to hear what the other offers are, which he will at 12pm sharp, then he can go where he can make the most and have the best chance.

The fact he's undecided doesn't mean anything. Suppose there are 3 teams who he wants to play for and they make offers to other players on July 1st that eats up their cap space, then he might as well retire. He knows who he would want to play for an the second he realizes one of them signs a Hossa, he'll make a decision right quick. Time, cap space and possible teams are not going to wait forever for him to make a decision, so yes UFA time will force him to make a decision soon.
He has been done hockey for what 3 months? How much time does he need?

Even Scott Niedermeyer figured it out quicker this time around and he has guaranteed money...Mats isn't so lucky. What happens if the contenders in Montreal, Detroit, New York and others sign their players...is Mats going to play in Columbus for 7 million per?

He is a player with loyality, a player who wants to win. I think he signs faster than all the reporters are saying. Like Gainey, I think Mats keeps his cards close to his chest and no one knows what he is going to do. All I know is that I don't think Mats keep teams guessing, if he hasn't annouunced his retirement then he is playing and he knows the teams need to know as soon as possible.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

I don't remember everything about the "Shanahan saga" but I remember something about an helicopter tour. This tour was most probably done beyond July 1st, or it would have been tempering. Which mean, Gainey could save this amount of cash, waiting for Sundin...

Sometimes is better to save the cash then sign anyone just for the fun of signing someone. And if we waits long enough, we might be the only team that could afford Sundin

Old
06-29-2008, 11:07 PM
MastaK

He's coming to Montreal, the deal is already done. The only thing is that Mats doesn't want to hurt the feelings of Leafs fans so he arranged this scenario where he declares himself as "undecided" to make things smoother for Leafs fans. Pretty good actor to be honest.

Sorry I forgot..

Old
06-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Why not? Is there a minimum amount of time that he has to wait to decide?

Maybe he just wants to hear what the other offers are, which he will at 12pm sharp, then he can go where he can make the most and have the best chance.

The fact he's undecided doesn't mean anything. Suppose there are 3 teams who he wants to play for and they make offers to other players on July 1st that eats up their cap space, then he might as well retire. He knows who he would want to play for an the second he realizes one of them signs a Hossa, he'll make a decision right quick.

Time, cap space and the number of possible teams are playing against him and they are not going to wait forever for him to make a decision, so yes UFA time will force him to make a decision soon.
Rumor is it's not team related. He doesn't know if he wants to play the game or not. No matter if the Rangers offers him 10 millions, he doesn't know if his body tells him to stop.....or so says the freakin rumor. If so, well offers to him shouldn't mean anything and he'll still have to make a decision.

As far as July 1st rushing his decision, well that's what I was saying and like ZNK said, maybe that will help him make his decision to retire. If he doesn't make any decision, he has to know that it should mean that he's retiring. Nobody will wait for him unless a team doesn't want to reach the max on the salary cap and does have a 8 million cap space.....and then seeing that he wants to play, decides to do it.

Anyway, this madness needs to end. And gladly it will real soon.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'm wondering....how's Dallas salary cap? I feel like another team that is not talked about will come and get him while everybody expects the usual suspects teams to get him.

Forget them, they only have 3-4 M to spend.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=490606

Old
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He has been done hockey for what 3 months? How much time does he need?

Even Scott Niedermeyer figured it out quicker this time around and he has guaranteed money...Mats isn't so lucky. What happens if the contenders in Montreal, Detroit, New York and others sign their players...is Mats going to play in Columbus for 7 million per?

He is a player with a loyality, a player who wants to win. I think he signs faster than all the reporters are saying. Like Gainey, I think Mats keeps his cards close to his chest and no one knows what he is going to do. All I know is that I don't think Mats keep teams guessing, if he hasn't annouunced his retirement then he is playing and he knows the teams need to know as soon as possible.
I agree with you. He's not dumb and he is being told non stop by his agents to sign right away, as all the big names do after July 1st. It's the players who can't find teams that kinger for days or weeks. I can't imagine that happening to Mats.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Contrary to popular belief, I don't think gainey has given him a deadline of any sort. I don't think gainey will just spend more on UFA just to make the team better if he feels it makes no sense. I have a feeling Gainey might be trying a different approach and respecting Sundin's right and keeping in the picture, as far as I know discussions haven't reached a halt and i doubt they will after July 1st either. Gainey will continue to discuss with Sundin, saying he's a priority and will talk to other UFAs as well, if one signs, gainey will inform Sundin and maybe pressure him or sign the other guy. Then again, I would not be surprised if Gainey does not go into play for the big free agents and lets them go, and even if he does, with all the people after hossa, why necessarily us? 7 mil in boston is more than 8 mil here anyway. Marleau has a NTC starting july 1st, he might be out of play. Stoll is already traded. Morisson? Maybe, but I don't see any other center the canadiens will heavily pursue but Sundin. Maybe they think being loyal and waiting for a decision will earn his respect. Who knows.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
I don't remember everything about the "Shanahan saga" but I remember something about an helicopter tour. This tour was most probably done beyond July 1st, or it would have been tempering. Which mean, Gainey could save this amount of cash, waiting for Sundin...

Sometimes is better to save the cash then sign anyone just for the fun of signing someone. And if we waits long enough, we might be the only team that could afford Sundin
Well, I wouldn't say there was a Shanahan ''saga'', there was just talk here and there the Habs might be interested back then. It was nothing close to this, that's for sure. The whole helicopter thing was basically discovered well after he signed with NYR and it was after July 1, in fact quite a few days after IIRC.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Come to think of it, that's a good point 'cause the way things are going, Hossa won't end up here, Rolston is gone, who else is that interesting making Gainey use all of his money? So by not doing anything, Sundin's 8 millions might actually be on the table all summer long.....

Though I would make an offer to Naslund....

Old
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Is it wise to go after a guy who is considering retirement. I mean, if he's thinking abouit quitting, I doubt he's at the gym all summer working hard to get ready for the upcoming season.

Maybe it wouldn't be wise to sign him.

Just a thought.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbulger View Post
I am pretty sure Hossa is not going to end up a Hab.. It just dosent make sense to throw 8million/yr for 6plus years with all the players the Habs will have to sign within the next 3 years.. Plus we already have a set of wingers our needs are a center, and possibly a dman.

As for SUNDIN his deadline for siging is montreal is probally Tuesday at 11:59am, if he as not signed or signed in principle by that time Gainey will go after his plan B which may look like a Breden Morrison(center) and a Micheal Rozival(defense).. or a Brian Rolston (can play center)..

Gainey will NOT sit around tuesday afternoon and wait for Mats to decide while the other 29 nhl teams make there offers. And although Mats is one of the top 2 UFA forwards out there teams like the rangers, canadiens, leafs, red wings, etc.. are not going to wait forever and miss out on adding UFA's to their respective teams team.
Agreed...I think Jagr is a better fit here than Hossa...because like Sundin he would only need 1-2 years and not take cap room needed for all the young players.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Rumor is it's not team related. He doesn't know if he wants to play the game or not. No matter if the Rangers offers him 10 millions, he doesn't know if his body tells him to stop.....or so says the freakin rumor. If so, well offers to him shouldn't mean anything and he'll still have to make a decision.

As far as July 1st rushing his decision, well that's what I was saying and like ZNK said, maybe that will help him make his decision to retire. If he doesn't make any decision, he has to know that it should mean that he's retiring. Nobody will wait for him unless a team doesn't want to reach the max on the salary cap and does have a 8 million cap space.....and then seeing that he wants to play, decides to do it.

Anyway, this madness needs to end. And gladly it will real soon.
I'm pretty sure Sundin wants to play some hockey.

The problem is like this:

He talked to someone, Salmin or something like this, an old Swedish player who played for the Maple Leafs for all his career, except at the end. Well, this player told him his biggest regret was "not ending my career with the Maple Leafs" So Sundin probably doesn't want to have those regrets

On the other hand, he probably wants to win the cup. The way the Maple Leafs treated him and his friends, and the fact that they're rebuilding, I doubt he wants to play there anymore. So he would have to sign with someone else.

So he has to make a thought decision between those two scenarios, which will bring regrets no mater what he chooses.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:17 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Contrary to popular belief, I don't think gainey has given him a deadline of any sort. I don't think gainey will just spend more on UFA just to make the team better if he feels it makes no sense. I have a feeling Gainey might be trying a different approach and respecting Sundin's right and keeping in the picture, as far as I know discussions haven't reached a halt and i doubt they will after July 1st either. Gainey will continue to discuss with Sundin, saying he's a priority and will talk to other UFAs as well, if one signs, gainey will inform Sundin and maybe pressure him or sign the other guy. Then again, I would not be surprised if Gainey does not go into play for the big free agents and lets them go, and even if he does, with all the people after hossa, why necessarily us? 7 mil in boston is more than 8 mil here anyway. Marleau has a NTC starting july 1st, he might be out of play. Stoll is already traded. Morisson? Maybe, but I don't see any other center the canadiens will heavily pursue but Sundin. Maybe they think being loyal and waiting for a decision will earn his respect. Who knows.
Gainey has never given him a deadline...Fletcher has. Gainey has been on record saying it is like a marriage and there is a courting stage and he is more than willing to to do that. If he was to give a deadline day there is no way a negotiating stage would take place because it shows no class towards Sundin. Sundin has stated that he is very impressed by Gainey and the Habs organization. Gainey is class and the two are so much a like that the marriage is a thing made to be...lets hope it happens.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:19 PM
momotan

While were waiting for this clown to make up his mind (when he gets that offer from the rangers) plan B just went out the window with Malone and Rolston going to last place Tampa. It sure didn't take them long to make their minds up did it? Now what's left? Show me the money Hossa? May as well sign a few role players cheap and concentrate on retaining next year's free agents. This UFA market has just turned into a big dud.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Gainey has never given him a deadline...Fletcher has. Gainey has been on record saying it is like a marriage and there is a courting stage and he is more than willing to to do that. If he was to give a deadline day there is no way a negotiating stage would take place because it shows no class towards Sundin. Sundin has stated that he is very impressed by Gainey and the Habs organization. Gainey is class and the two are so much a like that the marriage is a thing made to be...lets hope it happens.
I know, I meant contrary to the belief of hab fans who think gainey has a Plan B asap when july 1st starts and they'll forget Sundin, don't think so. Until Sundin says he retires or signs with someone else, it's not over.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:21 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
Is it wise to go after a guy who is considering retirement. I mean, if he's thinking abouit quitting, I doubt he's at the gym all summer working hard to get ready for the upcoming season.

Maybe it wouldn't be wise to sign him.

Just a thought.
I don't think Sundin wants to retire. I think he is a Dave Keon type of player and person and he cannot simply believe that an organization would treat him or his fellow teammates the way the have and he is simply questioning the ethics of hockey, not the game. Sundin, Tucker and even poor Raycroft are all players that bleed blue for their team and look how they are and have been treated by management and ownership. Mats has a heart, the Leafs have simply crushed it.

Gainey is trying to rebuild that trust with Mats to show him that they care, they want to win and i think Gainey's past as a player will help get Mats here.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:23 PM
shutehinside

We know that Gainey went after Hossa and Sundin at the deadline. This is the same situation. I believe he will pursue them both, prefering Sundin but you have to think he will make an offer to Hossa. Next year is a big deal for the Habs, and they have been chasing a big name for years now. The pressure is on and they MUST land a big name via UFA or trade. The cap room has been made specifically for hat reason. Bottom line is the Habs will get a payer this year, no doubt about that, only question is who will it be?? Thank goodness we don't have much longer to wait.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Sundin wants to play some hockey.

The problem is like this:

He talked to someone, Salmin or something like this, an old Swedish player who played for the Maple Leafs for all his career, except at the end. Well, this player told him his biggest regret was "not ending my career with the Maple Leafs" So Sundin probably doesn't want to have those regrets

On the other hand, he probably wants to win the cup. The way the Maple Leafs treated him and his friends, and the fact that they're rebuilding, I doubt he wants to play there anymore. So he would have to sign with someone else.

So he has to make a thought decision between those two scenarios, which will bring regrets no mater what he chooses.
Fletcher made it pretty clear that if Sundin doesn't give them a sign of his plans before July 1, they are spending the 7 M they offered to him elsewhere.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
While were waiting for this clown to make up his mind (when he gets that offer from the rangers) plan B just went out the window with Malone and Rolston going to last place Tampa. It sure didn't take them long to make their minds up did it? Now what's left? Show me the money Hossa? May as well sign a few role players cheap and concentrate on retaining next year's free agents. This UFA market has just turned into a big dud.

At that price they can have Malone. They'll probably have to overpay for Rolston too because I'm sure he'd prefer a team higher in the standings.

This year's UFA market was never great, that's why I like Gainey's approach with Sundin. He's the only centerman worth going after anyways.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Fletcher made it pretty clear that if Sundin doesn't give them a sign of his plans before July 1, they are spending the 7 M they offered to him elsewhere.
I doubt they'll spend to the cap anyway, they plan to lose. With all their buy outs and 'new direction' i highly doubt they'll do a philly rebuild process or something. They are just playing the media into thinking they gave Sundin a chance.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Artyukhin*

update from you know who

Rumour: SUNDIN decision imminent I am told...but then again it is Mats...A source just told me that a few of Mats friends feel that Montreal could already be done.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:36 PM
MatthewB

I do not think Bob Gainey has given Sundin a Deadline.... However, with that being said I am sure Gainey has set a dead line in his mind on how long to chase Sundin and when that deadline is up and Sundin still has yet to make a descion, Gainey will have to choice but to explore other options..

Old
06-29-2008, 11:37 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
We know that Gainey went after Hossa and Sundin at the deadline. This is the same situation. I believe he will pursue them both, prefering Sundin but you have to think he will make an offer to Hossa. Next year is a big deal for the Habs, and they have been chasing a big name for years now. The pressure is on and they MUST land a big name via UFA or trade. The cap room has been made specifically for hat reason. Bottom line is the Habs will get a payer this year, no doubt about that, only question is who will it be?? Thank goodness we don't have much longer to wait.
If we can get Hossa I would be very happy. Adding both Hossa and Tanguay makes us very strong on the wings with the likes of Kostys (x 2), Kovalev and Higgins, but we need a #1 centre. Pleks is good and so is Saku, but Pleks will never be a #1 and Koivu's days of a #1 are gone...can we do a Hossa long term and Sundin one year to make it happen this year?

If we can how do we make it happen cap wise???

Closed Thread