HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q for David Staples re Lowe's FA Deals in Summer 07

Old
06-29-2008, 07:07 AM
choppystride

vCash: 500
Q for David Staples re Lowe's FA Deals in Summer 07

First of all, I would like commend you on your excellent series of articles on the EIG. Bravo!

I have a question regarding this paragraph in your article today:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a-2be363a4eb12

Quote:
For his part, Gregg was content to wait before renewing Lowe. Like many Oilers fans, he wanted to see how Lowe performed in the trade and free agent market over the summer of 2007 before making up his mind.
I (and probably a few others as well) have always suspected that, last summer, the EIG put pressure on Lowe to pursue big name FA's as publicity stunts to garner goodwill in the face of Katz's hostile bid. But after reading your article, it seems that Lowe might have pursued these reckless FA deals purely to save his own skin.

From your conversations with members of the EIG, did you get a sense that they urged Lowe to do a few "goodwill" deals? Or did Lowe pursue those deals free of any EIG directives?

choppystride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
dynastydays

I'm not Staples obviously, but it begins and ends with th EIGs budget. They set it to the cap in response to Katzs offer, so Lowe pretty much knew what was expected of him id guess.

It is a good point though, the oil very well may be better off today had Lowe not done anything, his job was safe regardless.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Ceres

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride View Post
From your conversations with members of the EIG, did you get a sense that they urged Lowe to do a few "goodwill" deals? Or did Lowe pursue those deals free of any EIG directives?
Doing this would have been the epitome of being a selfish GM and if Lowe really was that kind of person, it would have been easiest to just keep Smyth and be done with it. Chances are they wouldn't have gone on an 2-18 run and his job performance would have never been in question. Many around here seem to think that Lowe is such an inept enough of a GM for him to not realize Smyth's effect on this team's performance, but from the article, Lowe really did know what his decision would mean (both personally, professionally, and most importantly on the Oilers).

I also don't think that handing your employers an ultimatum is a really good negotiation tactic unless one is in the position of strength or else you feel that you are in the right. I think this showed that Lowe took the lack of an extension as personally as Nichols did.

Having said all of that, why would he throw all of this away and take the easy way out again and just sign some players "to keep his job"? It makes no sense to me. The only thing that makes sense is that he decided to stay the course and tried to give the team what he felt it was lacking through whatever means necessary. Given how the team has progressed (despite the freak number of injuries) it seems to have worked out.

This up and coming year is really where the rubber hits the road and he will deserve the ridicule or the praise of his decisions past.

Ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:13 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride View Post
First of all, I would like commend you on your excellent series of articles on the EIG. Bravo!
Me too. Thanks.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote