HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers may move Horton to center

Old
06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Panthers may move Horton to center

From today's Herald (Barry Jackson, not GR):

Panthers general manager Jacques Martin said he might move winger Nathan Horton to center to replace Olli Jokinen and has $4-5 million to spend on one free agent center or winger if he chooses. Though the Panthers ranked 20th in goals and lost Jokinen, Martin said he isn't worried: ``Three playoff teams scored less than we did -- the Rangers, Devils and Bruins.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/587113.html

I don't like Martin's attitude about the scoring though. So what if 3 playoff teams scored less than us? Our goal should be to score more goals, period, because that's how you WIN in this NHL, Mr. Martin. Ugh!

Edit: Oops, misread that. So if Nate is at center with Weiss being the other, then the Sunrise Express Line is done. It could pay off if Nate gels with whoever, but it could also stunt his growth since he's played exclusively at RW since being in the NHL. I still really hope they try to bring in someone with some scoring experience since our top 6 forwards are all under 25.

Last edited by FlaPanthers7: 06-29-2008 at 10:31 AM.
FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Thewbacca

Send a message via AIM to Thewbacca Send a message via MSN to Thewbacca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post

Panthers general manager Jacques Martin said he might move winger Nathan Horton to center to replace Olli Jokinen and has $4-5 million to spend on one free agent center or winger if he chooses. Though the Panthers ranked 20th in goals and lost Jokinen, Martin said he isn't worried: ``Three playoff teams scored less than we did -- the Rangers, Devils and Bruins.''

So Horton and Jokinen gone? Wow. They better go after Hossa HARD if they move Nate...

I don't like Martin's attitude about the scoring though. So what if 3 playoff teams scored less than us? Our goal should be to score more goals, period, because that's how you WIN in this NHL, Mr. Martin. Ugh!
Uh yeah. They Martin might get Nate to play center rather than RW which can't be that bad of an idea. You do know that he'll still be on the team, right? I hope so.

Thewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:

So Horton and Jokinen gone? Wow. They better go after Hossa HARD if they move Nate...
I don't like Martin's attitude about the scoring though. So what if 3 playoff teams scored less than us? Our goal should be to score more goals, period, because that's how you WIN in this NHL, Mr. Martin. Ugh![/QUOTE]

He's not saying he will TRADE Horton, he's saying he is not a RW anymore he will play CENTER and spend 4-5m on free-agents THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE WANTED.

Last edited by hoax15: 06-29-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: took out the "****ing idiot" part.
hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:

He didn't say he would move him out, jsut to center, but I doubt it since his style is more suited for a winger. He talks about where we are in goals compared to last year but that was with an established 35 goals a year guy. Now where are we?

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:25 AM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
He didn't say he would move him out, jsut to center, but I doubt it since his style is more suited for a winger. He talks about where we are in goals compared to last year but that was with an established 35 goals a year guy. Now where are we?
He was drafted and played in the Juniors as a Center. He was a MUCH better player as a center and I have no doubt now that he will get 35-40 goals if he plays it.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:29 AM
FlaPanthers7

You don't think after playing RW all these years that would be good for his progress?

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
hoax15

Quote:
You don't think after playing RW all these years that would be good for his progress?
It doesn't really make a difference at all dude. He played C til he was 19... I think he's a little more of a center.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
He was drafted and played in the Juniors as a Center. He was a MUCH better player as a center and I have no doubt now that he will get 35-40 goals if he plays it.

In the NHL the center position requires being a lot more defensively responsible and he also never had much success with faceoffs at this level, even though he came out of juniors with that as a strength. He would require a complete new focus that maybe the new coach could give him, but that would also break up what we think is a very strong line.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Georgia Panther

The thing is you move Horton to center and there goes the Booth-Weiss-Horton line and with it the Panthers one established scoring line.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hoax15

Quote:
In the NHL the center position requires being a lot more defensively responsible and he also never had much success with faceoffs at this level, even though he came out of juniors with that as a strength. He would require a complete new focus that maybe the new coach could give him, but that would also break up what we think is a very strong line.
Well if JM is going to spend that 4-5M we now will have a great top-6 and a great D core with solid goaltending. Thats playoffs.

Old
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:

Edit: Oops, misread that. So if Nate is at center with Weiss being the other, then the Sunrise Express Line is done. It could pay off if Nate gels with whoever, but it could also stunt his growth since he's played exclusively at RW since being in the NHL. I still really hope they try to bring in someone with some scoring experience since our top 6 forwards are all under 25.
Read more carefully next time.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:33 AM
hoax15

This is exactly what you guys all wanted, more offense...He's trying to give you more offense!

Old
06-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
In essense, what the trading of Jokinen and moving of Horton to center does is screwing up both of your scoring lines instead of just one.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:38 AM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
In essense, what the trading of Jokinen and moving of Horton to center does is screwing up both of your scoring lines instead of just one.
Let see Martin just told you that he is going to spend 4-5m on a free-agent and MIGHT move horton BACK to Center to create more offense. Who knows if BWH will be solid next year honestly and now when you guys wanted more offense and he strives to give it to you you still bash it....thats ridiculous.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Georgia Panther

What JM should do, which means he won't do, is sign a center and winger to play with Olesz on a second line and leave well enough alone with Booth-Weiss-Horton. My suggestion, Stillman-Morrison-Olesz.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
hoax15

Quote:
What JM should do, which means he won't do, is sign a center and winger to play with Olesz on a second line and leave well enough alone with Booth-Weiss-Horton. My suggestion, Stillman-Morrison-Olesz.
Or have a top six of either:
Rolston-Horton-McLean
Booth-Weiss-Olesz

OR

McLean-Langkow-Horton
Booth-Weiss-Olesz

...thats pretty damn good with solid D and GT.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Langkow has re-signed with Calgary. Also, the article states that Martin has $4-5 million to use "if he chooses". So like a lot of things, it isn't written in stone just yet. And I too am not a fan of splitting up the Sunrise Express line.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Pukboy5kroner

This is one idea I could see helping Nate out, and helping the team out. I don't see the Booth-Weiss-Horton line as a legitimate 1st line. They were a solid 2nd line, but worrying about breaking them up is a bit silly.

Moving Nate to center and taking him off that line, might encourage him to shoot a bit more; as I saw it, he passed on too many scoring chances last year, when he had a better opportunity to score than Booth or Weiss. It's about time Horton became a top line player, and I'm not sure if Weiss is ready for top line minutes, or if Weiss will ever be anything more than a good 2nd liner.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Langkow has re-signed with Calgary. Also, the article states that Martin has $4-5 million to use "if he chooses". So like a lot of things, it isn't written in stone just yet. And I too am not a fan of splitting up the Sunrise Express line.

-ghoste
Alright, theres some other UFA Centers.

Old
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
It's not like it's set in stone. He might sign a center or a winger in FA he said. If he does sign a winger and Horton moves to center it does not mean he is there for the whole season. Maybe just to start. We have Weiss, Kreps & Matthias as centers. Campbell can also play center too. So if Horton struggles at center just move him back to RW. He didn't say anywhere in that article that Horton would play center for the whole season.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:30 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
In the NHL the center position requires being a lot more defensively responsible and he also never had much success with faceoffs at this level
A center who isn't responsible defensively and isn't good at faceoffs on the top line of the Panthers? Shocking.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
A center who isn't responsible defensively and isn't good at faceoffs on the top line of the Panthers? Shocking.
We've never had that before....

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:34 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
We've never had that before....
Nope, never...

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Or have a top six of either:
Rolston-Horton-McLean
Booth-Weiss-Olesz

OR

McLean-Langkow-Horton
Booth-Weiss-Olesz

...thats pretty damn good with solid D and GT.
I would prefer a guy like Rolston who can play the PK because that would make Dvorak expendable and we can package him and Van Ryn for another winger!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Crossbar

I like this idea a lot, it's painfully obvious our offense needed/needs to be rebuilt (and that was with Olli on the team), so why not move Horton to where he's had the most success at in his hockey career? Playing RW has made him a very lazy player and hopefully those bad habits will disappear with this new role under DeBoer, who knows, maybe he'll surprise everyone and start playing like a Ryan Getzlaf?

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote