HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers may move Horton to center

Old
06-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Miami Panther

vCash: 500
I am on the fence about this one. For me, it all depends if JM sheds his defensive minded skin and signs a UFA. There aren't too man UFA centers that I want (Sundin and maybe Morrison if he can prove he is healthy). That said, the list of UFA wingers is just a little more exciting (Rolston, Huselius, Ryder, Hossa, Jagr, Nolan, Stillman, Naslund, Selanne). Either way, I am interested to see if Nate can handle the defensive responsibilities that come along with center if he is moved there.

Miami Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Danny Tanner*

i've always thought Horton should be a left winger. he does his best work on his off wing, because it allows him to drive to the net and unleash his wrister as he cuts to the inside of the ice.

on the right side he just takes a lazy wrist shot from the perimeter. maybe a move to center would help, but i still think he should be a left wing.

as far as the martin's comments...perhaps he is looking through the potential signings and has spotted a winger he would like to add?

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Miami Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
i've always thought Horton should be a left winger. he does his best work on his off wing, because it allows him to drive to the net and unleash his wrister as he cuts to the inside of the ice. on the right side he just takes a lazy wrist shot from the perimeter. maybe a move to center would help, but i still think he should be a left wing.
Valid point. I think it would be worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
as far as the martin's comments...perhaps he is looking through the potential signings and has spotted a winger he would like to add?
I wouldn't hold your breath. Then again, this is JM we are talking about [insert poker face smilie]

Miami Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
What JM should do, which means he won't do, is sign a center and winger to play with Olesz on a second line and leave well enough alone with Booth-Weiss-Horton. My suggestion, Stillman-Morrison-Olesz.
Please don't tell me you think Booth's a first line player.... Horton? yes... Weiss? Maybe... Booth? No...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
ugh.. Nate @ center. He hasnt been that good on faceoffs when he's taken them and well he doesnt forecheck at all.

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Please don't tell me you think Booth's a first line player.... Horton? yes... Weiss? Maybe... Booth? No...
No, but on this team he is!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
ugh.. Nate @ center. He hasnt been that good on faceoffs when he's taken them and well he doesnt forecheck at all.
Remember, we drafted him as a checking center. Dudley/Keenan/Martin had him playing out of position.

I have a feeling Deboer will get Horton back to how he plays naturally.

And... if he does better than 43% in the faceoff circle on the top line he'd be better than what we had last year.

Old
06-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Booth10

Quote:
No, but on this team he is!

Booth scored 21 Even Strength Goals and was +13, playing against the other teams top line. Whereas Jokinen scored 14 Even Strength Goals and was -19 playing against inferior players.

By the way thats the same amount as Hossa, 3 more than Crosby, 8 more than Drury, 4 more than Jagr, 12 more than Gomez, Even though he miseed 10% of the season and only scored 1 goal in the first 20% of the season.

I didnt look up any other teams but Pittsburgh and the Rangers. I think the point is good enough.

Im not sure why he didnt get any power play time.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Booth scored 21 Even Strength Goals and was +13, playing against the other teams top line. Whereas Jokinen scored 14 Even Strength Goals and was -19 playing against inferior players.

By the way thats the same amount as Hossa, 3 more than Crosby, 8 more than Drury, 4 more than Jagr, 12 more than Gomez, Even though he miseed 10% of the season and only scored 1 goal in the first 20% of the season.

I didnt look up any other teams but Pittsburgh and the Rangers. I think the point is good enough.
And he very well could have overachieved last season. IMO, a realistic assessment of Booth's talent level on an average offensive team in the NHL, which the Panthers are not since they ranked 20th in the NHL in goals scored, is that of a mediocre second liner and a VERY GOOD third liner. Again that is on a much better offensive team than the Panthers. On the Panthers he is a first liner.

Old
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Panthers_Fan

So our top 6 right now is....
???-Horton-???
Olesz-Weiss-Booth

I don't care that JM is thinking about breaking up the Sunrise Express as it was bound to happen eventually. Just look at the more talented Cash line that Ottawa had a few seasons ago. I think that out of everyone on our team the argument can be made that Horton is a 1st line talent.

Now JM need to fill those question marks, and they better not come from someone on our team as no one else is 1st line ready, and if JM is going to put Matthias and Frolik on the team they should be in the bottom 6 and have to earn the right to eventually be in the top 6 in a few seasons (I still think they should be in the AHL this year, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen).

JM should be targeting Rolston, Nagy, Demitra, and other players of simmilar ability.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Booth10

Quote:
And he very well could have overachieved last season. IMO, a realistic assessment of Booth's talent level on an average offensive team in the NHL, which the Panthers are not since they ranked 20th in the NHL in goals scored, is that of a mediocre second liner and a VERY GOOD third liner. Again that is on a much better offensive team than the Panthers. On the Panthers he is a first liner.

I was just pointing out the facts.

You can find differing opinions on everything.

Next time you cash a check, tell the cashier that in you opinion, the check is written for a million dollars.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
I was just pointing out the facts.

You can find differing opinions on everything.

Next time you cash a check, tell the cashier that in you opinion, the check is written for a million dollars.
Booth played 20 more games than Crosby. Booth is a hardworking player, but you lose credibility when you compare him to Crosby and state "facts" that are out of context.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
So our top 6 right now is....
???-Horton-???
Olesz-Weiss-Booth

I don't care that JM is thinking about breaking up the Sunrise Express as it was bound to happen eventually.
When will people learn that JM isnt breaking up anyone .. He isnt our coach anymore

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
When will people learn that JM isnt breaking up anyone .. He isnt our coach anymore
Well the article did say JM was thinking of moving Horton, which now that you mention it does seem strange.

Last edited by Panthers_Fan: 06-29-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old
06-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
The Sunrise Express line may have worked last year, but it doesn't mean it's going to work this year...(Also doesn't mean it won't work this year).

I like the move though...

Cats Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:50 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Gambler View Post
The Sunrise Express line may have worked last year, but it doesn't mean it's going to work this year...(Also doesn't mean it won't work this year).

I like the move though...
Especially with top defensive pairings being matched up against them. Also, good point on JM isn't doing anything anymore...or is he??? He may very well have DeBoer's ear on these things, especially if he's not going to pursue any FA forwards or trade some of our d-men for a forward (not that anyone that would be on the block has that much value).

I don't like moving Horton to center. He's kind of a floater at times and is best when someone else sets him up for his nasty wrister. He does have good passing skills though, but unless we sign someone to take the faceoffs (Rolston anyone?), that isn't really Nate's strength.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I don't like moving Horton to center. He's kind of a floater at times and is best when someone else sets him up for his nasty wrister. He does have good passing skills though, but unless we sign someone to take the faceoffs (Rolston anyone?), that isn't really Nate's strength.
I think that's largely Horton's trying to emulate Olli... They style he played before he got drafted and moved to wing was VASTLY different than when we've seen on the ice...

Old
06-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
From today's Herald (Barry Jackson, not GR):

Panthers general manager Jacques Martin said he might move winger Nathan Horton to center to replace Olli Jokinen and has $4-5 million to spend on one free agent center or winger if he chooses. Though the Panthers ranked 20th in goals and lost Jokinen, Martin said he isn't worried: ``Three playoff teams scored less than we did -- the Rangers, Devils and Bruins.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/587113.html

I don't like Martin's attitude about the scoring though. So what if 3 playoff teams scored less than us? Our goal should be to score more goals, period, because that's how you WIN in this NHL, Mr. Martin. Ugh!

Edit: Oops, misread that. So if Nate is at center with Weiss being the other, then the Sunrise Express Line is done. It could pay off if Nate gels with whoever, but it could also stunt his growth since he's played exclusively at RW since being in the NHL. I still really hope they try to bring in someone with some scoring experience since our top 6 forwards are all under 25.
Martin must be forgetting he's not coach anymore - DeBoer will be deciding who plays where ultimately.

I don't like JM's attitude on scoring - three playoff teams scored fewer goals, but which one won the Stanley Cup? Oh, that's right - none of the above.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:29 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Martin must be forgetting he's not coach anymore - DeBoer will be deciding who plays where ultimately.

I don't like JM's attitude on scoring - three playoff teams scored fewer goals, but which one won the Stanley Cup? Oh, that's right - none of the above.
We are actually emulating detroits style....Lots of $ on D-men and goaltending.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
You're coming around, I can tell. Any minute you'll be looking for a pitchfork and some horns to fit on JM.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
We are actually emulating detroits style....Lots of $ on D-men and goaltending.
kind of doubt we'll be third in the NHL in goal scoring anytime soon.

Old
06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
hoax15

Quote:
kind of doubt we'll be third in the NHL in goal scoring anytime soon.
Seriously all you do is troll now....Detroit did not just go through a rebuild and also had like 6 of the west all-stars this year, i'm comparing us to trying to become like them how is that a bad thing? All you do is post to piss people off...

Old
06-30-2008, 08:15 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I actually think it's a great idea. If Horton doesn't respond (in a big way) to more responsibility put on him in the coming season, I'll eat crow. He's due; this guy can become a young Chris Gratton (with a little more consistency and explosiveness) if he applies himself.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:09 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
I actually think it's a great idea. If Horton doesn't respond (in a big way) to more responsibility put on him in the coming season, I'll eat crow. He's due; this guy can become a young Chris Gratton (with a little more consistency and explosiveness) if he applies himself.
Using Horton, become & Gratton in the same sentence frightens me!!!

Maybe with Olli gone, Nate will use this to become THE MAN and a leader. I hope so. I'm willing to try anything since the so far nothing has brought this team success. I just don't see Nate as a checking center - that's just not the game he's played so far to make me believe he'll be successful at the transition.

I really hope we sign Rolston. Maybe even a guy like Brunette who was a hard-working 2-way forward for the Avs this past year & scored 5 playoff goals. Not the fastest guy, but a good leader on the ice to work on our 2nd line.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
hoax15

Quote:
Using Horton, become & Gratton in the same sentence frightens me!!!

Maybe with Olli gone, Nate will use this to become THE MAN and a leader. I hope so. I'm willing to try anything since the so far nothing has brought this team success. I just don't see Nate as a checking center - that's just not the game he's played so far to make me believe he'll be successful at the transition.

I really hope we sign Rolston. Maybe even a guy like Brunette who was a hard-working 2-way forward for the Avs this past year & scored 5 playoff goals. Not the fastest guy, but a good leader on the ice to work on our 2nd line.
Gratton USED to be pretty good, horton will be better overall though. I hope Rolston doesn't sign with tampa but even if he does theres Brunette, thats a good selection!