HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers may move Horton to center

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
  #76
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Your anti martin supporters may be growing but thats no excuse to be shoving anti martin threads and comments down our throats non-stop . We get it , no need to keep repeating yourself. And if you got nothing else to say but anti martin comments , that dont say anything at all .
I am not saying you cant have an opposing view , in fact , you can bash martin but tone it down , spread out your attacks . Your negativity with some other posters is really not making this a fun place to post anymore. Non stop negativity gets tiring really fast.
It's the nature of the beast to be unhappy being a fan of a team who has missed the playoffs 8 straight years, and I am a fan and live and die with the Florida Panthers being a former season ticket holder from the first year at Miami Arena and being now a resident of Georgia a Direct TV Center Ice subscriber for the sole reason to be able to watch the Florida Panthers. If I was just a hockey fan, I could watch the local team for free and likely be more entertained as the Thrashers, while almost as inept as the Panthers, are more offensive minded and suited to my tastes but alas, they aren't the Cats. Believe me, I find those of you who stick up for what I see as the continued incompetence of the Florida Panthers Front Office equally annoying but I respond with humor rather than bashing you. Try doing the same and we'll all get along much better.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:03 PM
  #77
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
It's the nature of the beast to be unhappy being a fan of a team who has missed the playoffs 8 straight years, and I am a fan and live and die with the Florida Panthers being a former season ticket holder from the first year at Miami Arena and being now a resident of Georgia a Direct TV Center Ice subscriber for the sole reason to be able to watch the Florida Panthers. If I was just a hockey fan, I could watch the local team for free and likely be more entertained as the Thrashers, while almost as inept as the Panthers, are more offensive minded and suited to my tastes but alas, they aren't the Cats. Believe me, I find those of you who stick up for what I see as the continued incompetence of the Florida Panthers Front Office equally annoying but I respond with humor rather than bashing you. Try doing the same and we'll all get along much better.
As much as I disagree with GP's glorifcation of Mike Keenan, one of the hockey people I absolutely hate the most dating back to the ranger days, I have to agree with almost all of his assessment of martin, dudley and cohen and martin's constant incompetence as a coach and now a GM. We have become a joke and we continue to build on that futility every year it seems. Maybe martin will surpirse us, I sure hope so, but unles we get some consistent offense we will be lucky to even be in the race much less make the playoffs.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:07 PM
  #78
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukboy8 View Post
He does seem like a bit of a milquetoast.
Darn you, I had to go look up milquetoast in the dictionary. I don't agree with that characterzation of Deboer. I think he has a strong personality and will, with more experience, make a stand for what he believes in. Unfortunately, it takes awhile to gain that experience and until acquired, he will likely defer to JM in some instances and I think JM knows that and is very happy to give his imput to the young coach and pull some strings from his GM position.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
  #79
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther
It's the nature of the beast to be unhappy being a fan of a team who has missed the playoffs 8 straight years, and I am a fan and live and die with the Florida Panthers being a former season ticket holder from the first year at Miami Arena and being now a resident of Georgia a Direct TV Center Ice subscriber for the sole reason to be able to watch the Florida Panthers. If I was just a hockey fan, I could watch the local team for free and likely be more entertained as the Thrashers, while almost as inept as the Panthers, are more offensive minded and suited to my tastes but alas, they aren't the Cats. Believe me, I find those of you who stick up for what I see as the continued incompetence of the Florida Panthers Front Office equally annoying but I respond with humor rather than bashing you. Try doing the same and we'll all get along much better
Try taking a hint and not be so obnoxious and perhaps we'll get along. Noone minds or cares who dislikes or likes Panther management, this is a message board and is full of differing opinions. I welcome them, and in fact, three of my favorite posters in ZeroG, Rattrick, and Beezer I disagree with at times. However, we all handle it and debate maturely and don't lower ourselves to carpet boming the board with incessant threads.

I too was a season ticket holder, not from day one as I was way to young, but i attended plenty of games with my family and am now a Center Ice subscriber as well. I can equally watch the Lightning, but I'm a Panthers fan.

Be upset, but we're begging you to be sensible and considerate man.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
  #80
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Try taking a hint and not be so obnoxious and perhaps we'll get along. Noone minds or cares who dislikes or likes Panther management, this is a message board and is full of differing opinions. I welcome them, and in fact, three of my favorite posters in ZeroG, Rattrick, and Beezer I disagree with at times. However, we all handle it and debate maturely and don't lower ourselves to carpet boming the board with incessant threads.

I too was a season ticket holder, not from day one as I was way to young, but i attended plenty of games with my family and am now a Center Ice subscriber as well. I can equally watch the Lightning, but I'm a Panthers fan.

Be upset, but we're begging you to be sensible and considerate man.
Once again Laus, you say it better than I. I'm probably as upset as the next guy. I've cheered for this team through thick and thin. I've suffered through the worst of times like the rest of us. My life revolves around hockey and thus the Panthers. What does that say when they play so poorly for so long?

The difference is that I still continue to cheer for the team, hope for them to do well and don't bring others down when I'm upset with the team. That's all I'm asking is to not ruin every thread and create so many negative threads that support only your argument while neglecting any good that might be said or done.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
  #81
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
The difference is that I still continue to cheer for the team, hope for them to do well and don't bring others down when I'm upset with the team. That's all I'm asking is to not ruin every thread and create so many negative threads that support only your argument while neglecting any good that might be said or done.
Thats what I think, except I think this is the year I won't be so angry because of the Panthers stinking it up. I hated JM during the season but after a lot of these moves I've realized that he is helping...its a slow rebuild but its coming around...at least to me.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
  #82
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
As I've said in another thread:

STOP DISCUSSING OTHER POSTERS IN THE THREADS. IT IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE TOPIC TO PICK ON AND ESPECIALLY NOT TO GANG UP ON ONE PERSON.

There's a very thin line on what could be considered an acceptable comment on someone else's posting habits, and since most of you don't seem to be able to stay to the right side of it, I don't want to go there at all.

GP knows we all have our opinions on his posting habits - but everyone's been instructed on what they need to do if they don't like his posts, whether by me or by the rules of the board - everyone's account is equipped with an ignore list. If there's any mod work to be done, either I, PRock, or Heimy will take care of it - there's a specific prohibition in the rules from any non-mod taking it on themselves to perform that role.

Since this is the second time today I've had to post on this topic, it will be the last. I will have to hand out infractions for it from now on.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:34 PM
  #83
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Could one of the reasons, not the only one but one of them, that JM hired a junior coach and not one with any professional experience be that he could more easily influence him on who to play and how to play them than a coach with more NHL experience?
Or maybe - just maybe he hired DeBoer because he's a promising young coach who just won the OHL and CHL championships with his highly successful Kitchener Rangers team, he's had experience with several Florida Panthers already, and he's not one of the usual washed up failures that another team cast off.

Hmm? Maybe?

Sorry to be obnoxious on that one, but it's kind of obvious - most of us wanted him to take someone new because the old dregs really haven't accomplished much of late. And if you're taking someone new to the NHL, was there really anyone better than DeBoer right now?

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
  #84
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Or maybe - just maybe he hired DeBoer because he's a promising young coach who just won the OHL and CHL championships with his highly successful Kitchener Rangers team, he's had experience with several Florida Panthers already, and he's not one of the usual washed up failures that another team cast off.

Hmm? Maybe?

Sorry to be obnoxious on that one, but it's kind of obvious - most of us wanted him to take someone new because the old dregs really haven't accomplished much of late. And if you're taking someone new to the NHL, was there really anyone better than DeBoer right now?
I liked the DeBoer hire and for the very reasons you stated. I don't like who's looking over his shoulder, ever willing to be helpful making suggestions to a young coach who is more than likely to follow them until he has been around the NHL block a few times.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:36 PM
  #85
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
If 1 ounce of good has come from your constant badgering, 372 gallons of bad have also come. Trust me on this one.
no good has come from it, imo.

very rare are the situations in life (or sports) that can be painted in black and white yet that's all we get in a lot of cases. it's neither all good nor all bad. it'd be one thing if we could actually debate the facts (to the extent we can all understand or know them) and learn from one another. i learn things just about everyday i visit this site. that's why i come back. some just seem to be stuck, though.

it's lot like the discourse we see in other (not to be mentioned here) spheres - those at the far end of the spectrum who spew bile constantly do nothing to engender real discussion. it's challenging, to be sure. reminds me of the famous quote from f. scott fitzgerald:

Quote:
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."
ok, sorry. rant over.


Last edited by zeroG: 06-30-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: just saw race's warning
zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
  #86
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
So, uh, about Horton being moved to center...

I'm excited to see if this experiment brings out another side to him. Being responsible for winning face-offs, leading a line, and playing his natural position might awaken his game a bit.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
  #87
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
So, uh, about Horton being moved to center...

I'm excited to see if this experiment brings out another side to him. Being responsible for winning face-offs, leading a line, and playing his natural position might awaken his game a bit.
I hope so . I think Deboer will set him back to hard work mode.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:57 PM
  #88
Remax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Zednik--Horton--Stillman
Booth--Weiss--Olesz
McLean--Kreps--Matthias
Frolik--Campbell--Dvorak
Belak



Last edited by Remax: 07-01-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Remax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:52 PM
  #89
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Darn you, I had to go look up milquetoast in the dictionary.
GP, unlike the others I never tire of your persistent floccinaucinihilipilification of Martin.

Look THAT one up

__________________




angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
  #90
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
GP, unlike the others I never tire of your persistent floccinaucinihilipilification of Martin.

Look THAT one up
I know what it means!!!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:59 AM
  #91
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
GP, unlike the others I never tire of your persistent floccinaucinihilipilification of Martin.

Look THAT one up
I just did.

Nice to see that somebody back in the mid-1700s had so much time on his hands. Makes me feel that the present really isn't so far removed from the past.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
  #92
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,738
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Just curious (and I didnt read the article) but why wouldnt you consider moving Olesz to center instead. He was supposedly a fantastic faceoff guy in the Czech league before getting drafted by FL. With the contract he just got, you have to expect he's playing on the top line alongside Stillman in some way.


Last edited by Coolburn: 07-02-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
  #93
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Just curious (and I didnt read the article) but why wouldnt you consider moving Olesz to center instead. He was supposedly a fantastic faceoff guy in the Czech league before getting drafted by FL. With the contract he just got, you have to expect he's playing on the top line alongside Stillman in some way.
It's possible, then you have Stillman-Olesz-Zednik if you keep the Sunrise Express line together and let Matthias start as the 3rd line center.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:10 PM
  #94
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
GP, unlike the others I never tire of your persistent floccinaucinihilipilification of Martin.

Look THAT one up
Congratulations, you've just used the longest word in HFBoards history!


Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
  #95
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,738
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
It's possible, then you have Stillman-Olesz-Zednik if you keep the Sunrise Express line together and let Matthias start as the 3rd line center.
Or better yet, let Matthias get some time in the AHL and leave Kreps as your 3rd line center. Nothing wrong with letting that kid dominate in the AHL for a few games to make sure he's ready for a full season of pro hockey. And if Olesz struggles and Matthias does dominate, then you can insert Shawn and move Rusty over to the wing, bumping Zednik down to 3rd line.

But yes that was my point about moving Olesz to center because then you can keep that Sunrise Express line together. And that was the line combination I had in mind also. But the likelihood Zednik is ready by opening night is kinda low if you ask me. MacLean could fill in temporarily on that line like he did last yr and had some chemistry with Olesz as well.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
  #96
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Or better yet, let Matthias get some time in the AHL and leave Kreps as your 3rd line center. Nothing wrong with letting that kid dominate in the AHL for a few games to make sure he's ready for a full season of pro hockey. And if Olesz struggles and Matthias does dominate, then you can insert Shawn and move Rusty over to the wing, bumping Zednik down to 3rd line.

But yes that was my point about moving Olesz to center because then you can keep that Sunrise Express line together. And that was the line combination I had in mind also. But the likelihood Zednik is ready by opening night is kinda low if you ask me. MacLean could fill in temporarily on that line like he did last yr and had some chemistry with Olesz as well.
interesting thought. i'd worry about olesz in the faceoff circle tho. how did he do in that regard when he was playing regularly? and would that translate to the nhl, where the style, size and strength of opposing centers might be different? with stillman on the wing, though, that might mitigate those concerns a bit. not sure what stillman's numbers are like but you could use them interchangeably depending on the situation.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
  #97
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Or better yet, let Matthias get some time in the AHL and leave Kreps as your 3rd line center. Nothing wrong with letting that kid dominate in the AHL for a few games to make sure he's ready for a full season of pro hockey. And if Olesz struggles and Matthias does dominate, then you can insert Shawn and move Rusty over to the wing, bumping Zednik down to 3rd line.

But yes that was my point about moving Olesz to center because then you can keep that Sunrise Express line together. And that was the line combination I had in mind also. But the likelihood Zednik is ready by opening night is kinda low if you ask me. MacLean could fill in temporarily on that line like he did last yr and had some chemistry with Olesz as well.
That's what I'd like to see: let Mattias get some A experience before anointing him the 2nd or 3rd line center. We saw Kreps improve over the season & he can still grow. I just hate the idea of forcing someone into a role they are not ready for. If JM thinks Mattias is ready for the NHL, then it certainly wouldn't hurt to have him work his way up through the A first. Same for Frolik.

Kind of like what happened with Booth - got a call up & played his way onto the 2nd line with hard work & production.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
  #98
Remax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
interesting thought. i'd worry about olesz in the faceoff circle tho. how did he do in that regard when he was playing regularly? and would that translate to the nhl, where the style, size and strength of opposing centers might be different? with stillman on the wing, though, that might mitigate those concerns a bit. not sure what stillman's numbers are like but you could use them interchangeably depending on the situation.
Stillman had 7 wins 10 losses last year

Olesz had 7 wins 3 losses last year

Remax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:26 AM
  #99
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax View Post
Zednik--Horton--Stillman
Booth--Weiss--Olesz
McLean--Kreps--Matthias
Frolik--Campbell--Dvorak
Belak

You forgot Peltonen. I think you can replace Frolik with Peltonen and give Frolik another year in AHL & call him up if when we have injuries!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
  #100
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
You forgot Peltonen. I think you can replace Frolik with Peltonen and give Frolik another year in AHL & call him up if when we have injuries!
Yeah, it would be good to at least start Frolik in the AHL. I wouldn't want him to have to make the jump straight out of juniors. He's kind of small for 6'1", so it would give him some time to adjust to a faster more physical game.

Booth was a little older and more mature, physically and mentally, when he got his first call up. He got a full 4 years at MSU to develop.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.