HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Hillier

Old
06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Scotianhab

vCash: 500
Ryan Hillier

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you guys think of Ryan Hilliers potential. I watched him a few times with the Mooseheads and I think he could become a solid 3rd liner down the road. I'd also like to know if he has a good chance of playing with Hartford this year or do you think he might start the year in the ECHL?

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
eco's bones

I expect Ryan to make the AHL--not the ECHL team. I think he's at least a couple seasons away from making the team permamently. I think your right on the money with his upside as a 3rd liner.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
He definitely has a shot, and the Rangers obviously think well enough of him to give him a contract. He's got a logjam in front him, though, so he's really going to have to make his mark in Traverse City.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
He definitely has a shot, and the Rangers obviously think well enough of him to give him a contract. He's got a logjam in front him, though, so he's really going to have to make his mark in Traverse City.
Yeah. We'll have a better idea of where he stands after the prospect tournament.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
You think he's going to be healthy by Traverse City? I think it depends on whether his hernia needs surgery or not.

Has he skated at all in development camp?

If his hernia (which he's had for almost a year now) continues to be a problem, I would see him in the ECHL to start the season.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Edge

I think you're on the money.

If he progresses, he could be a solid third liner.

Which of course means there will be at least one poster in this threat who is going to insist he's got a shot to be a top six forward.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
They said 3-4 weeks, so hopefully he'll be ready.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Cherepanisimov

i am confident that he will become a solid top-6 forward, whether thats on the rangers or any other team

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think you're on the money.

If he progresses, he could be a solid third liner.

Which of course means there will be at least one poster in this thread who is going to insist he's got a shot to be a top six forward.
2 posts later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
i am confident that he will become a solid top-6 forward...
Priceless

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

To be fair it doesn't make you wrong to say Hillier is a 2nd line player...Not everybody sees the same things when looking at a player.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
To be fair it doesn't make you wrong to say Hillier is a 2nd line player...Not everybody sees the same things when looking at a player.
You're right. Some people need glasses.

Kidding aside though, I don't think it's an insult to be a third line player. We seem to have conditioned ourselves that it's top 6 or bust for any forward that we draft.

But the fact of the matter is that top six forward prospects are never as common as they are on prospect site message boards.

Hillier is a nice player who fits into the Ryan Callahan mold. He's an energy guy which almost gurantees that people are going over-project his offense. It's not uncommon. We tend to like/notice the guys who play with some passion. As such we tend to want them to be better players than they are.

Last edited by Edge: 06-28-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Yeah, Slats thought that Hugh Jessiman was better than Dustin Brown. And the Kings are laughing all the way to the ****ing bank.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:02 AM
CapGoodie

I've watched him a dozen or so times in Halifax. I admire the kid, played hard every night on a team that didn't always bring the effort to go along with their talent but I REALLY don't see top 6, offensive talent in him. He seems to have enough drive to develop the rest of his game and give the NHL a shot but I wouldn't be banking on him having that steady or that illustrious of an NHL career. He just not that dynamic or talented offensively, had a very good talent level for the Q' but was one of those guys who worked hard enough to get the most out of his talents on to the score sheet. It'll only take him so far in terms of having an impact at the NHL level IMO.

I'm rooting for him though, There were plenty of Mooseheads that made me want to rip my hair out on any given night for not making good use of their god given talents - Hillier was never one of them.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:13 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

If he ever becomes a 3rd line player in the NHL ill be shocked.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:41 AM
eco's bones

I think Hillier has the upside to become a 3rd line NHL'er--whether he reaches it or even reaches the NHL is another thing. Some players make a smooth transition into the pros and some don't--we're about to find out with him--I've seen some people here projecting him onto Hartford's first line from the get go--which is laughable as I don't even think he was on Halifax's first line. Whatever--he earned his contract after a pretty good junior career--now it's up to him to see how far he can take it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You're right. Some people need glasses.

Kidding aside though, I don't think it's an insult to be a third line player. We seem to have conditioned ourselves that it's top 6 or bust for any forward that we draft.

But the fact of the matter is that top six forward prospects are never as common as they are on prospect site message boards.

Hillier is a nice player who fits into the Ryan Callahan mold. He's an energy guy which almost gurantees that people are going over-project his offense. It's not uncommon. We tend to like/notice the guys who play with some passion. As such we tend to want them to be better players than they are.
Edge, sometimes a projected bottom 6 forward becomes more than a bottom 6 forward...sometimes guys exceed expectations...I have no idea if Hillier is that guy but if somebody thinks that it doesn't make them wrong...

i agree that message boards to inflate our prospects or at a minimum look at them in a glass is half full sorta way but you and i could probably sit here for a day and come up with a 100 guys that we've seen in our lives that exceeded expectations..it does happen...it's not probable but it's not impossible...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
Edge, sometimes a projected bottom 6 forward becomes more than a bottom 6 forward...sometimes guys exceed expectations...I have no idea if Hillier is that guy but if somebody thinks that it doesn't make them wrong...

i agree that message boards to inflate our prospects or at a minimum look at them in a glass is half full sorta way but you and i could probably sit here for a day and come up with a 100 guys that we've seen in our lives that exceeded expectations..it does happen...it's not probable but it's not impossible...
And we could come up with about 10,000 that shoot below.

I like to play the odds and be realistic about these things.

My bigger problem is that it's almost EVERY single prospect. Now one or two I can understand, but it gets to the point where it's hard to have a legit conversation because we have three times as many top 6 prospects as we really do.

Being able to reasonably look at a prospect and be realistic about his potential is not something that should be so hard to expect, especially in this day in age when people can see games on the internet and their more sources for information than their used to be. A little inflation isn't a bad thing, but at some point there has to be some self control or else we might as well be talking about video game hockey where every player is a potential scorer.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:21 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
I've watched him a dozen or so times in Halifax. I admire the kid, played hard every night on a team that didn't always bring the effort to go along with their talent but I REALLY don't see top 6, offensive talent in him. He seems to have enough drive to develop the rest of his game and give the NHL a shot but I wouldn't be banking on him having that steady or that illustrious of an NHL career. He just not that dynamic or talented offensively, had a very good talent level for the Q' but was one of those guys who worked hard enough to get the most out of his talents on to the score sheet. It'll only take him so far in terms of having an impact at the NHL level IMO.

I'm rooting for him though, There were plenty of Mooseheads that made me want to rip my hair out on any given night for not making good use of their god given talents - Hillier was never one of them.
That's all you can really ask for in a late 3rd round pick.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote