HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades around the League

Old
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Trades around the League

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2419...=topStory_main

Perhaps pre-UFA, but it is the start.

Quote:
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Flyers signed defenceman Steve Eminger to a one-year contract Sunday.

Eminger was acquired by Philadelphia along with a 2008 third-round pick from the Washington Capitals on June 20 for a first-round pick in the 2008 draft.
And it starts?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:33 PM
EazyB97

Malone and Roberts appear to be signed as well. Roberts at 1 year for 2 mill. Malone getting 30 mill, unknown length.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Malone and Roberts appear to be signed as well. Roberts at 1 year for 2 mill. Malone getting 30 mill, unknown length.
Quote:
A day after trading for their rights, The Tampa Bay Lightning are close to signing Ryan Malone to a long-term year deal that will exceed $30 million and Gary Roberts to a one-year year deal that has the potential to reach $2 million, Sportsnet has learned.

An announcement could come as early as Monday.

Should the Lightning sign Malone, Pittsburgh will receive Tampa Bay’s third-round pick in 2009 or they will receive Dallas’ fourth-round pick in 2009, previously acquired by the Lightning, if Tampa Bay is not able to sign Malone.
Sportsnet

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
birddog*

Thank you Tampa Bay!

Seriously thank you for signing Ryan Malone the most overrated forward in this years crop of UFA. A guy with 51 points, 56 less then his 107 point linemate Malkin. A guy with previous seasons of 31 and 41 points. How this guy gets a 7 year deal is beyond me. And thank you also for signing Roberts - the Leafs need to rebuild and need playing time for young'uns not 42 year olds. I don't care how good he is in the locker room. Thanks Tampa!

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheleafs View Post
Its a good move by TB

They have their Star Vinny locked up long-time and they have their future Stamkos coming on board and now they are loading up to give them character and heart players to play with and provide some toughness..

I had wanted our Leafs to acquire Malone for some time now. .

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:02 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

yikes
signing a 28 yr old for 7 yrs?

cliff would never do that

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Its a good move by TB

They have their Star Vinny locked up long-time and they have their future Stamkos coming on board and now they are loading up to give them character and heart players to play with and provide some toughness..

I had wanted our Leafs to acquire Malone for some time now. .
Definitely.

Both players are great additions to that teams turnaround. Even one year of Roberts can help the youngsters.

Their next move HAS to be moving out St.Louis. His salary can be used in other places, especially in goal. Unless Smith turns out to be a decent young goalie.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:05 PM
John-Eric Iannicello

I think Fletcher really wanted Malone, and this will change his approach to the UFA market.

I still hope he takes a good handful of money and throws it at Brooks Orpik.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:06 PM
kody97

They didn't sign him. Tampa traded for exclusive negotiating rights.

kody97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Swiper87

Yes its official, they signed them both.

IMO they should be throwing money at a goalie...

Swiper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Stephen

I'm glad we're not getting him, but I think he fits well with what Tampa is trying to do.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:08 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Seriously thank you for signing Ryan Malone the most overrated forward in this years crop of UFA. A guy with 51 points, 56 less then his 107 point linemate Malkin. A guy with previous seasons of 31 and 41 points. How this guy gets a 7 year deal is beyond me. And thank you also for signing Roberts - the Leafs need to rebuild and need playing time for young'uns not 42 year olds. I don't care how good he is in the locker room. Thanks Tampa!
I agree but I doubt Fletch was going to sign him for that much per year and at that length. Tampa is overpaying because they really need to make the playoffs this season. The fan base is probably starting to dwindle and they need to recapture their glory days again.

Good double move either way.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:10 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
I think Fletcher really wanted Malone, and this will change his approach to the UFA market.

I still hope he takes a good handful of money and throws it at Brooks Orpik.
I think your probably right about Fletcher liking Malone which is why I think Tampa did everyone a favor. He doesn't generate his own offense and would be an overpaid 40 point guys here. Heck even Tucker could manage better then that playing with Malkin.

Orpik I think has value as a guy that is in the top 10 of the league in hits and blocks shots. He'd fit in nicely with the Leafs as a stay at home guy.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:10 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:

Smells frustration in TO... TB will be a contender for their division title so it's obviously a great deal for them... Shame on you TO for doing nothing...

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:11 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I was all about the idea of going after a player like Malone. But his value has been inflated by playing with Crosby, and Malkin I think. And as much as I love Roberts, him coming back wasn't really a good option, likely.

Good for Tampa though, I suppose.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:11 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kody97 View Post
They didn't sign him. Tampa traded for exclusive negotiating rights.
LOL...yes and after they traded for his rights they 'signed' him to a 7 year deal. Thanks for your input.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Smells frustration in TO... TB will be a contender for their division title so it's obviously a great deal for them... Shame on you TO for doing nothing...
Are you quite done?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:13 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Shame on 29 other teams for not doing something to? Seems like the only team that never makes the right move is here in Toronto. Wonder why that is?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:13 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm glad we're not getting him, but I think he fits well with what Tampa is trying to do.
Definitely a better fit in Tampa with Lecavalier and St. Louis. Nobody in T.O. could provide that kind of support. Still an overpayment. I'd sooner hold on to the cash and wait for something of value to come along. TB will regret this deal in time.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:14 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

W00T

He would have been Jason Blake #2 if he signed here.

Quote:
Anyone could be a contender for the Southeast title, that's how piss poor it is.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Kessick

A good deal for them.

But I foresee a buyout after year 5.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
javier

Thank you God in heaven! Haven't we seen this before when a player going into his free-agent year puts up his best statistcal year, gets overpaid and then goes right back in the tank? I was afraid that the Leafs would do something like this but luckily someone else beat them to the punch. Martin Lapointe anyone?

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
W00T

He would have been Jason Blake #2 if he signed here.

Anyone could be a contender for the Southeast title, that's how piss poor it is.
Thats what I was saying... Frustration in TO... You guys should look at your team first before bashing a whole division!!!

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:19 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Not frustration...in all seriousness...51 points playing with Malkin and Crosby is crap! He is overrated.

I'd like to see Orpik, Hossa but not Malone. Doesn't mean we'll get them but sure am glad Malone did not become a member of the Muskoka 5.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Personally, I think Tampa was probably the best place for Malone to sign. There he gets to play with another superstar center, so his offensive numbers will still be bloated, and he won't get as much hate from fans as he would if he signed somewhere like Toronto.

I'm still happy that Malone was signed, but Roberts' signing wouldn't have made much of a difference with Toronto in terms of ice time, as he would have been a 4th liner. Either way, good on Tampa for looking like a team that actually wants to compete now, and could surprise this year.

Silver91 is offline   Reply With Quote