HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades around the League

Old
06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Personally, I think Tampa was probably the best place for Malone to sign. There he gets to play with another superstar center, so his offensive numbers will still be bloated, and he won't get as much hate from fans as he would if he signed somewhere like Toronto.

I'm still happy that Malone was signed, but Roberts' signing wouldn't have made much of a difference with Toronto in terms of ice time, as he would have been a 4th liner. Either way, good on Tampa for looking like a team that actually wants to compete now, and could surprise this year.

Agreed Lecavalier will carry him...but no to Roberts already have Mayers, Devereaux +++ taking up 4th line time. Don't need fourth liners and if we are going to play someone he should be young and be able to grow into a bigger role in the future.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Not frustration...in all seriousness...51 points playing with Malkin and Crosby is crap! He is overrated.

I'd like to see Orpik, Hossa but not Malone. Doesn't mean we'll get them but sure am glad Malone did not become a member of the Muskoka 5.
You really base your opinion only on PPG?? How about seing it the other way around and saying that Malkin 100+pts season were because of the presence of Malone on his line, creating space???

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:26 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
I think your probably right about Fletcher liking Malone which is why I think Tampa did everyone a favor. He doesn't generate his own offense and would be an overpaid 40 point guys here. Heck even Tucker could manage better then that playing with Malkin.

Orpik I think has value as a guy that is in the top 10 of the league in hits and blocks shots. He'd fit in nicely with the Leafs as a stay at home guy.
Schenn will make the team if he has a good camp is my hunch,so orpik does not appeal to me for that reason. I would like to see fletcher take a crack at Patrick O'sullivan with a offer sheet. Sully is RFA and might be relatively affordable compensation wise.

He fits the bill imo. I like orpik though also. Who knows maybe kubina gets us a great offer from a team and we will need a D-man like orpik also.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:27 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
You really base your opinion only on PPG?? How about seing it the other way around and saying that Malkin 100+pts season were because of the presence of Malone on his line, creating space???

Believe what you want to believe. Whatever makes you happy. I'm happy we aren't handcuffed by another stupid contract from an overated player ala Raycroft, Tucker, McCabe, Blake.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:29 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Seriously thank you for signing Ryan Malone the most overrated forward in this years crop of UFA. A guy with 51 points, 56 less then his 107 point linemate Malkin. A guy with previous seasons of 31 and 41 points. How this guy gets a 7 year deal is beyond me. And thank you also for signing Roberts - the Leafs need to rebuild and need playing time for young'uns not 42 year olds. I don't care how good he is in the locker room. Thanks Tampa!
Merged. Lets try to keep all moves by other teams to one thread guys. Any moves on July 1, that are Leaf related, can have their own threads.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Schenn will make the team if he has a good camp is my hunch,so orpik does not appeal to me for that reason. I would like to see fletcher take a crack at Patrick O'sullivan with a offer sheet. Sully is RFA and might be relatively affordable compensation wise.

He fits the bill imo. I like orpik though also. Who knows maybe kubina gets us a great offer from a team and we will need a D-man like orpik also.
I don't think 2 stay at home defensemen would be bad to have. I'd love to see Orpik and Schenn paired to gether for the Pk and in the last minute.

T.O. hasn't had a pair of reliable defenders to put on in the last minute in a long time. Sorry Hal Gill does not qualify.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:32 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Thats what I was saying... Frustration in TO... You guys should look at your team first before bashing a whole division!!!
How many "we gotta sign Malone" threads have you seen on the Leaf board? Honestly buddy, you're barking up the wrong tree here. We had absolutely no love on for Malone. So you saying we missed out, and we're frustrated, is absolutely the furthest thing from reality.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:32 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Merged. Lets try to keep all moves by other teams to one thread guys. Any moves on July 1, that are Leaf related, can have their own threads.
Hey I appreciate you doing your job and all but I've never understood why it makes sense to merge all threads into one big thread. Maybe we don't want to read the 300 other posts relating to all the other FA signings. Maybe we would like to discuss this one point?

Old
06-29-2008, 03:34 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Hey I appreciate you doing your job and all but I've never understood why it makes sense to merge all threads into one big thread. Maybe we don't want to read the 300 other posts relating to all the other FA signings. Maybe we would like to discuss this one point?
Because this is the "leafs board". Not the, "lets discuss every signing by every team not the leafs board". hfboards.com is not just one board. If you want to discuss this move in it's own thread, I'm sure the Tampa board has a thread started, on this very topic.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:35 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Thats what I was saying... Frustration in TO... You guys should look at your team first before bashing a whole division!!!
Sorry, who's frustrated? It looks like the Leafs are going to take the easy route to get some good players by tanking a couple of seasons. A strategy (unintentionally) perfected by the Southeast.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:40 PM
EazyB97

Quote:

He played just as well, if not better, with other linemates though, which hurts your argument.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:44 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Because this is the "leafs board". Not the, "lets discuss every signing by every team not the leafs board". hfboards.com is not just one board. If you want to discuss this move in it's own thread, I'm sure the Tampa board has a thread started, on this very topic.
Hey no offense but like I said some don't want to scroll to page 12 and read through 100 unrelated posts.

Maybe I don't want to discuss with TB fans but I want to discuss this with Leaf fans and how it relates to the Leafs. Many Leaf fans have agreed Malone was a possible target of the Leafs - hence the posting on the Leafs boards.

It's all about usability and it ain't easier to scroll through 12 pages of posts relating to various topics to find what you want to talk about. But alas I digress....

Old
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Hey no offense but like I said some don't want to scroll to page 12 and read through 100 unrelated posts.

Maybe I don't want to discuss with TB fans but I want to discuss this with Leaf fans and how it relates to the Leafs. Many Leaf fans have agreed Malone was a possible target of the Leafs - hence the posting on the Leafs boards.

It's all about usability and it ain't easier to scroll through 12 pages of posts relating to various topics to find what you want to talk about. But alas I digress....
It makes it much easier to refrence and control the conversations. That's why the topics are merged. You can do all of the things you asked in this thread. Just use the quote function and make the comments you want to make.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
It makes it much easier to refrence and control the conversations. That's why the topics are merged. You can do all of the things you asked in this thread. Just use the quote function and make the comments you want to make.
Thank you! And in the future, for the sake of keeping a thread on topic, ask these question via pm.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Acekicker123

Epic overpayment by the Lightning.

Acekicker123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:

And that's why the thread is still on the Leaf board. It may have some Leaf related discussion. But it wasn't a Leaf signing, and it doesn't require it's own thread. It's easy to watch threads, that are Leaf related, get buried on other pages, because of non leaf related topics. That's why there's only supposed to be, maybe 3 OT threads on the first page at any time.

Anyway, like I said, if you have an issue with anything I do in maderating, in the future, feel free to do it via pm only please.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:57 PM
LTL

His numbers might warrant the massive deal by playing beside Lecav and Stamkos.

I'm sure Tampa also has a bit of trouble attracting UFA's after losing for so many seasons. They paid the price but for Tampa I guess the deals make sense.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:58 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
I don't think 2 stay at home defensemen would be bad to have. I'd love to see Orpik and Schenn paired to gether for the Pk and in the last minute.

T.O. hasn't had a pair of reliable defenders to put on in the last minute in a long time. Sorry Hal Gill does not qualify.
If Ian White were moved Orpik would be a excellent choice.

I will be elated if Schenn gets the nod as our #7 D-man coming out of camp! I was thinking that because a month or so of spot duty would be great for his adjustment,and fletcher has called him "NHL ready" in a NHL.com blog!

So i just hope he gets a mellow introduction ending up being paired with Colaiacovo by about mid season.

Schenn is no doubt the real deal imo though. I would compare him favourably to Eddy Jovonovsky in his chances of making the NHL after the draft.

Old
06-29-2008, 04:01 PM
LTL

Quote:
If Ian White were moved Orpik would be a excellent choice.

I will be elated if Schenn gets the nod as our #7 D-man coming out of camp! I was thinking that because a month or so of spot duty would be great for his adjustment,and fletcher has called him "NHL ready" in a NHL.com blog!

So i just hope he gets a mellow introduction ending up being paired with Colaiacovo by about mid season.

Schenn is no doubt the real deal imo though. I would compare him favourably to Eddy Jovonovsky in his chances of making the NHL after the draft.
I'm hoping Orpik is signed for that exact reason. Even add Hainsey to that list. I really want two defenceman from this market. It gives Fletch is necessary room he needs to work with if two D could be signed.

Old
06-29-2008, 04:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Thank god Roberts isn't going to take up a roster spot on the Leafs.

Talk about a guy who has overstayed his welcome, he's no different than someone like Cooke or Nash today.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Thank god Roberts isn't going to take up a roster spot on the Leafs.

Talk about a guy who has overstayed his welcome, he's no different than someone like Cooke or Nash today.
Yea, I cringed when I heard the Roberts to TO rumor. We've finally started shaking off our image as being the retirement home for NHLers, I don't really want to go back.

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:15 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheleafs View Post
I'm hoping Orpik is signed for that exact reason. Even add Hainsey to that list. I really want two defenceman from this market. It gives Fletch is necessary room he needs to work with if two D could be signed.
Yeah, and i think these player types fit well with Wilsons coaching style also. The thing that you can be sure about with Fletcher is, you can never be sure what he is up to lol.

He definately likes big strong combative/defensive minded D-men though.

Old
06-29-2008, 04:24 PM
LTL

Quote:
Yeah, and i think these player types fit well with Wilsons coaching style also. The thing that you can be sure about with Fletcher is, you can never be sure what he is up to lol.

He definately likes big strong combative/defensive minded D-men though.
Just posted this is the UFA thread:

Quote:
Sabres Looking For Hard Hitting Dman

“We’ll be above the midpoint,” Regier said. “How far above, we’ll wait and see. We have some room, not a lot of room.”

The midpoint is $48.7 million, so expect the Sabres to spend about $50 million. That gives them more than $10 million to play with. Some will go toward their five restricted free agents: Paul Gaustad, Daniel Paille, Steve Bernier, Clarke MacArthur and Mark Mancari. The Sabres also are interested in extending the contracts of goaltender Ryan Miller and captain Jason Pominville.

But if there’s an unrestricted free agent the Sabres want, they have the ability to pay for him.

So, who’s out there that fits the Sabres’ needs on the blue line and in goal? Orpik might top the list. The 6- foot-2, 219-pounder is the physical presence the Sabres lack. It helps that he grew up in East Amherst, where his family still lives.

Kukla's Korner

Old
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Embarrisingly overpaid, IMO.

This just inflates the whole market.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 06-29-2008 at 08:48 PM.
TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Transplanted Caper

The Malone contract is terrible. Candidate for worst of the off-season already, in fact it'll probably be the winner. Malone is a 2nd liner who's actually quite inconsistent. Over $4million is overpayment, but understandable given the way the market works. 7 years is just ludicrous.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote