HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bang For Your Buck

Old
06-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Bang For Your Buck

Now that it is pretty much confirmed that Straka is finished, and that the cap will be rising to $56.3 million, I wanted to make a point to everyone that is freaking out about how the Rangers are going to replace the production of their disappearing top 6.

Brendan Shanahan and Martin Straka combined for 87 points last season, and a cap hit of $8.6 million. Jaromir Jagr scored 71 points and cost the Rangers $4.94 million. Completely ignoring any cost cutting measures that can be taken elsewhere in the lineup, and the fact that the Slats has an extra $6+ million to work with this year because the cap went up, the Rangers have $13.5 million dollars (8.6 + 4.94) to use to replace the 158 points those three guys produced.

That is not that hard to do.

Here's a list of UFA's not named Hossa, any three of which can be had for $13.5 million and can be easily expected to AT LEAST replace that production (Goals, Assists, Points, Last Year's Cap Hit):

Kristian Huselius 25G 41A 66P ($1,400,000)
Andrew Brunette 19G 40A 59P ($1,600,000)
Brian Rolston 31G 28A 59P ($2,432,000)
Radim Vrbata 27G 29A 56P ($1,225,000)
Ryan Malone 27G 24A 51P ($1,375,000)
Miro Satan 16G 25A 41P ($4,255,000)
Mark Recchi 14G 34A 48P ($2,000,000)
Jason Williams 13G 23A 36P in only 43GP ($1,600,000)
Niklas Hagman 27G 14A 41P ($675,000)

I realize a couple of these guys are old, and the names aren't sexy, but the point I am trying to make is that the three key guys the Rangers might be losing (especially Straka and Shanny) were being paid premium dollars to put up pedestrian numbers. Their production can be replaced EASILY, more than likely for LESS money than was spent last year. This leaves plenty of room and flexibility for IMPROVEMENT, which should be the goal, not maintaining the status quo after two consecutive 2nd round exits.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
mike14

I don't know about easily, the Rangers had a lot of problems scoring at times last season, who's to say that it won't happen again.
Also, most of the players you listed play on a line below one carrying the teams main offensive threat, meaning that they are going up against 2nd and 3rd pair defenceman and not the other teams shut down guys. If you bring them in to replace the Rangers main offence they don't have that luxury and will likely find it harder to put up points

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And don't forget Ryder, who, with a change of scenery, and a real play making center like Gomez, could return to the 30 goal scorer he was before this year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Don't forget to add into your calculations that the salaries of other players will go up--players like Lundqvist, Tyutin and Girardi are getting raises and players like Dawes need to be re-signed. And then there are little things, like needing to sign a backup goaltender, the bonuses that were deferred into this season, the buyout for Jagr, etc, that all add up.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
And don't forget Ryder, who, with a change of scenery, and a real play making center like Gomez, could return to the 30 goal scorer he was before this year.
And don't forget Prucha, who, with a change of scenery, and a real play making center like Gomez, could return to the 30 goal scorer he was before this year.

Why pay their version more money and continue putting our version in the pressbox?? Let Prucha play.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Don't forget to add into your calculations that the salaries of other players will go up--players like Lundqvist, Tyutin and Girardi are getting raises and players like Dawes need to be re-signed. And then there are little things, like needing to sign a backup goaltender, the bonuses that were deferred into this season, the buyout for Jagr, etc, that all add up.
That's why I just took those three salaries from last year into account. The cap going up $6+ million takes care of the smaller raises that need to be handed out.

Old
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Now that it is pretty much confirmed that Straka is finished, and that the cap will be rising to $56.3 million, I wanted to make a point to everyone that is freaking out about how the Rangers are going to replace the production of their disappearing top 6.

Brendan Shanahan and Martin Straka combined for 87 points last season, and a cap hit of $8.6 million. Jaromir Jagr scored 71 points and cost the Rangers $4.94 million. Completely ignoring any cost cutting measures that can be taken elsewhere in the lineup, and the fact that the Slats has an extra $6+ million to work with this year because the cap went up, the Rangers have $13.5 million dollars (8.6 + 4.94) to use to replace the 158 points those three guys produced.

That is not that hard to do.

Here's a list of UFA's not named Hossa, any three of which can be had for $13.5 million and can be easily expected to AT LEAST replace that production (Goals, Assists, Points, Last Year's Cap Hit):

I realize a couple of these guys are old, and the names aren't sexy, but the point I am trying to make is that the three key guys the Rangers might be losing (especially Straka and Shanny) were being paid premium dollars to put up pedestrian numbers. Their production can be replaced EASILY, more than likely for LESS money than was spent last year. This leaves plenty of room and flexibility for IMPROVEMENT, which should be the goal, not maintaining the status quo after two consecutive 2nd round exits.
Great Post.

This just goes to show you there are other options than the few huge names (including Jagr) out there for Drury and Gomez.

Younger legs will do a lot more than you think.

For instance. Look at a guy like Nagy.

Quote:
The talented Slovak has slowly disintegrated from talented prospect to overpaid underachiever. He did not play after Jan. 18 with a neck injury last season in Los Angeles and will once again hit the free-agent market in search of a home to finally make good on his potential. Hard to imagine Nagy will see anything close to the $3.75 million he made last season, but someone will take a flier on him. Wonder if playing with countryman Demitra, perhaps in Vancouver, might jumpstart a stalled career? Word is Nagy has been working out diligently and will be ready to prove doubters wrong at training camp.
Whats to say they can't sign this guy for 1 or 2 years thinking he'll be put on Gomez's wing? He'll have an elite center who can feed him the puck, pad his stats and go right back on the market for another raise. But you put him with Drury and you can go out and get an even better more consistent player for Gomez.

I'd rather take a risk with a scenario like that then using Sundin or Jagr as "stop gaps" -

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Fletch

The Rangers will also...

likely need to replace Rozsival, and possibly Mara, unless they want to try Potter or Pock in that 6th position and have a pairing of Pock/Potter and Backman. So there's some other money that needs to be spent, as well as other places. There are other options. I think one point is that perhaps Jagr should be among those options. If those guys are so good and so cheap there will be others who are in an even better cap position than the Rangers who can also bid on these players. You named 9 players to fill, say, two of the Rangers top 6 forward positions. There are 29 other teams. Those numbers don't look all that great and what's spent today could come back to haunt you tomorrow. Again, this is not a doomsday scenario and I'm not saying Jagr should be signed at all cost, but at the same time I don't see why he's not an option.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
TheZherdev

id really love to give nagy a chance. The guys got the tools, hes proven he can put up numbers, he just needs to be on a better team. And all due respect to Gretzky but i just dont think he has been motivating players correctly.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
likely need to replace Rozsival, and possibly Mara, unless they want to try Potter or Pock in that 6th position and have a pairing of Pock/Potter and Backman. So there's some other money that needs to be spent, as well as other places. There are other options. I think one point is that perhaps Jagr should be among those options. If those guys are so good and so cheap there will be others who are in an even better cap position than the Rangers who can also bid on these players. You named 9 players to fill, say, two of the Rangers top 6 forward positions. There are 29 other teams. Those numbers don't look all that great and what's spent today could come back to haunt you tomorrow. Again, this is not a doomsday scenario and I'm not saying Jagr should be signed at all cost, but at the same time I don't see why he's not an option.
Agreed. You can throw me firmly into the "Bring Jagr Back" camp. I just wanted to bring to light the fact that when people talk about replacing guys like Shanny and Straka, they are thinking about 05-06 and earlier rather than the last couple of years.

Old
06-26-2008, 04:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
And don't forget Prucha, who, with a change of scenery, and a real play making center like Gomez, could return to the 30 goal scorer he was before this year.

Why pay their version more money and continue putting our version in the pressbox?? Let Prucha play.
I didn't say anything bad about Prucha.

I mentioned to add Ryder to the list.

Prucha has some issues he needs to overcome.

Weight, strength, and keeping his head up.

If he can, i see no reason why he can't play a lot more minutes then has.

He has several months to work on all of those issues. I hope he does.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
ah yes, we can always count you, Fletch, to throw the much needed bucket of cold water on hot heads.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Unk

I wish I knew more about him, but something intrigues be about the idea of getting Vrbata. 27 goals on a crappy Phoenix team rotting the desert, maybe w/ Gomez he could get 30+. Am I being foolish?

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I wish I knew more about him, but something intrigues be about the idea of getting Vrbata. 27 goals on a crappy Phoenix team rotting the desert, maybe w/ Gomez he could get 30+. Am I being foolish?
That 'crappy' Phoenix team beat the Rangers 5-2, backed by a goal/assist performance from Vrbata. He's a pretty good two-way player, but he disappeared down the stretch when the intensity was revved up. He can kill penalties and he's money in the shootout, plus he had a good world championship for the Czechs, too.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
If the price is right, those would be the guys I'd have interest in. Also, I'd take Miro Satan if all others options were off the board.

Good post WL.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Great Post.

This just goes to show you there are other options than the few huge names (including Jagr) out there for Drury and Gomez.

Younger legs will do a lot more than you think.

For instance. Look at a guy like Nagy.

Whats to say they can't sign this guy for 1 or 2 years thinking he'll be put on Gomez's wing? He'll have an elite center who can feed him the puck, pad his stats and go right back on the market for another raise. But you put him with Drury and you can go out and get an even better more consistent player for Gomez.

I'd rather take a risk with a scenario like that then using Sundin or Jagr as "stop gaps" -
If it's the Jason Williams from Carolina then go nuts!!!........but i think it's the Williams from the Blackhawks

Vrbata and a darkhorse is Hagman..........might be a good idea

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If it's the Jason Williams from Carolina then go nuts!!!........but i think it's the Williams from the Blackhawks

Vrbata and a darkhorse is Hagman..........might be a good idea
Meittinen might be a good fit for Drury and Dawes, good two way player.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
That 'crappy' Phoenix team beat the Rangers 5-2, backed by a goal/assist performance from Vrbata. He's a pretty good two-way player, but he disappeared down the stretch when the intensity was revved up. He can kill penalties and he's money in the shootout, plus he had a good world championship for the Czechs, too.
Well, the crappy Islanders beat the Rangers, as did the crappy Thrashers, the crappy Lightning, etc... Your team wasn't particularly good last season, no need to be defensive. Rangers fans have lived through many crappy teams over the years. We know suckage when we see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
The Jason Williams from the Hawks has 158 points in 296 NHL games (.53 ppg). So, he's still a decent player, and at 27, not too old. Still, I prefer others to him, for sure.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, the crappy Islanders beat the Rangers, as did the crappy Thrashers, the crappy Lightning, etc... Your team wasn't particularly good last season, no need to be defensive. Rangers fans have lived through many crappy teams over the years. We know suckage when we see it.

The Jason Williams from the Hawks has 158 points in 296 NHL games (.53 ppg). So, he's still a decent player, and at 27, not too old. Still, I prefer others to him, for sure.

2 Forwards and 2 Defensman........not including Jagr coming back

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

You guys are forgetting Cory Stillman..........

24 Goals 41 Assists in 79 Games....this past season.

This guy would make an excellent short-term addition to this team. Guy has character, too. Good player.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
You guys are forgetting Cory Stillman..........

24 Goals 41 Assists in 79 Games....this past season.

This guy would make an excellent short-term addition to this team. Guy has character, too. Good player.
Might as well throw in Radivojevic too if you want some size.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Jason Smith? Is he an option for defensive dman for a year or two?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Might as well throw in Radivojevic too if you want some size.
Radivojevic signed to play in Europe already.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
ogie

i've been saying it for weeks

Huselius to play with Jagr and Ryder to play with gomez. This will make me a happy ranger fan for the first time in 364days

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

In reality, we actually have more than $13.5:
Jagr+Shany+Straka = $13.5
Mara = $3
Rozsival = $2.3
Malik = $2.5
Strudwick = $.5
Total: $21.8

The problem with the Free Agent forwards mentioned in the first post is that they dont have the size the Rangers need(aside from Malone, who went to Tampa). Therefore, the guy I would actually target is Bertuzzi. He is coming off an off season and should not demand a lot of money. I know he is 33, but if we can sign him for one season at around $3, that will leave us with plenty of cap room to sign/re-sign the following:
(Bertuzzi - $3)
Avery - $3.8
Dawes - $1.5
Sjostrom - $1
Commodore - $1.5
M.Lapointe - $1.5
Total: $12.3

This would leave us with about $9.5 in cap room to play around with. We can use that money for future years or to make a splash at the trade deadline.

Lines:
Avery - Dubinsky - Drury
Bertuzzi - Gomez - Korpikoski
Dawes - Anisimov - Callahan
Lapointe - Betts - Sjostrom
Prucha

Tyutin - Girardi
Sanguinetti - Staal
Backman - Commodore
Hutchinson

Lundqvist

The reason why I put Drury on the 1st line is because he needs to start earning his paycheck. A guy making over $7 million a year should not be stuck on the 3rd line getting 25 goals a season. I expect Drury to hit the 30 goal mark once again being on the first line. I also feel that Anisimov is better suited for being the 3rd line center than Drury is...since Anisimov has more size and is more of a true 3rd liner two-way center. Bertuzzi is on the 2nd line for size and down-low presence. I can see Gomez setting up Korpikoski for one-timers all day...with Bertuzzi being there to do the dirty work on the boards and around the net. Lapointe is a huge upgrade over Hollweg. Yes, I am saying that Sanguinetti can start in the NHL, he is ready by all accounts, from me watching him, from what I have read about him, from what the experts have to say. He just need a chance to play. If he completely bombs, which I doubt, we still have Hutchinson and all that cap room to make a move at the deadline.

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 06-30-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote