HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Habsfan18's official "Taking a look back" thread - Nov 6th, 1992 edition.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Habsfan18's official "Taking a look back" thread - Nov 6th, 1992 edition.

You guys know the drill.

This is fom the November 6th, 1992 issue of THN. One of the more enjoyable old issues I've read.

- On the cover is Canucks young phenom Pavel Bure. "The new NHL - Here's how game is played now."

- Young new talent such as Bure, Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Selanne, Alexei Kovalev, Alexander Mogilny, Eric Lindros and Joe Juneau are providing tons of excitement for NHL fans.

- Making the news was an altercation between reporter Bob McKenzie and Tampa Bay GM Phil Esposito. McKenzie says he was assaulted by Esposito in the Lightning dressing room following a game at Maple Leaf Gardens on October 15th. A Toronto police spokesman said there is enough evidence to proceed with a charge of simple assault. Phil Esposito on the situation: "I don't deny that I tried to get him out of the way, but I never punched him," "If I'd have punched him he would have gone down."

- THN looks at coaches and how often they change. The New York Islanders offer the best coaching security, making only 4 changes in 21 years..an average of a change every 5.25 years. The worst coaching security? New Jersey, at a change every 1.19 years.

- NYI's Darius Kasparaitis becomes first NHL'er to have a Washington D.C. national lobby issue a news release on his behalf. After some reporters and broadcasters incorrectly referred to him as a "Russian" the Lithuanian National Foundation dispatched this press release: "Calling Darius a Russian makes as much sense as labelling Glenn Healy a Mexican, or Uwe Krupp an Italian."

- Ever since Igor Larionov signed with Lugano of the Swiss league, Pat Quinn announced his intentions of finding a centerman to play with Pavel Bure. After 2 failed attempts with Trevor Linden and Greg Adams, Quinn finally found his man..Petr Nedved, who set up Bure twice in his first 2 games at center.

- Oilers defenceman Dave Manson is fined $20,000 for spearing Calgary's Joel Otto.

- Winnipeg's Keith Tkachuk leads a new brigade of unkinder, ungentler American players. Winnipeg coach John Paddock: "We think Keith can become a player along the lines of Cam Neely or Rick Tocchet."

- Penguins superstar Mario Lemieux on the state of the game: "The NHL was selling the wrong product for so many years. They were selling the marginal players instead of the great players. I think it has to have rules similar to basketball, protecting the good players."

- On his trade anniversary, Islanders Benoit Hogue snaps a scoring slump with a hat-trick against Hartford.

- Penguins Kevin Stevens is scoring at a record pace for LW's. 3 weeks into the season, he was on a 205 point pace. When asked about if he can catch up to Mario, Stevens replied: "I don't think there's any question he'll beat me by about 60, 80 or even 100 points, but that's not a big deal. If he gets 250 points and I play with him, I might be able to stay 100 behind him."

- Feeling he needed to save his career, Petr Stastny settled for a 1 year contract with the New Jersey Devils. Stastny made it no secret he either wanted a long term deal from the Devils, or a trade back to Quebec.

- Whaler center Andrew Cassels, who had 10 points in 9 games, was finally beginning to come into his own. Cassels has taken over the reigns as number 1 center for Hartford.

- Minnesota North Stars re-sign Mike Modano to a new 4 year-$6.75 million dollar contract.

- After waiting to see what Modano would get, Nordiques center Joe Sakic is extremely pleased. "I have to admit that when I saw the numbers Modano signed for, I couldn't help smiling." GM Pierre Page is looking to get Sakic locked up shortly.

- After injuring himself during a pre-game skate, Leafs goaltender Grant Fuhr will likely be out a few weeks. This opens the door for rookie Felix Potvin. Many considered Potvin to be the best goaltender outside of the NHL last season.

- St.Louis Brendan Shanahan, or "Shan the Man" has 8 goals through 9 games and is on a Brett Hull 75 goal-like pace.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-29-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
- Penguins Kevin Stevens is scoring at a record pace for LW's. 3 weeks into the season, he was on a 205 point pace. When asked about if he can catch up to Mario, Stevens replied: "I don't think there's any question he'll beat me by about 60, 80 or even 100 points, but that's not a big deal. If he gets 250 points and I play with him, I might be able to stay 100 behind him."
Ended up 49 points behind, heh.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
- Young new talent such as Bure, Sergei Fedorov, Teemu Selanne, Alexei Kovalev, Alexander Mogilny, Eric Lindros and Joe Juneau are providing tons of excitement for NHL fans.
Which one of these is not like the others...

Quote:
- Feeling he needed to save his career, Paul Stastny settled for a 1 year contract with the New Jersey Devils. Stastny made it no secret he either wanted a long term deal from the Devils, or a trade back to Quebec.
I assume you mean Peter...

Quote:
- Minnesota North Stars re-sign Mike Modano to a new 4 year-$6.75 million dollar contract.

- After waiting to see what Modano would get, Nordiques center Joe Sakic is extremely pleased. "I have to admit that when I saw the numbers Modano signed for, I couldn't help smiling." GM Pierre Page is looking to get Sakic locked up shortly.
Wow, how times have changed...$6.75 million is more like an annual salary for a star player, let alone for the total salary for the length of the deal.

Quote:
- After injuring himself during a pre-game skate, Leafs goaltender Grant Fuhr will likely be out a few weeks. This opens the door for rookie Felix Potvin. Many considered Potvin to be the best goaltender outside of the NHL last season.
Potvin definitely started off hot with the Leafs...taking them to conference finals before losing to the Kings. Didn't do all that much after he had a brief rebirth with the Kings. Where is he now?

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Niko37

Thanks for doing these, Habsfan18! I really enjoy them.
I had never heard of the Esposito/McKenzie incident

Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:12 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

this was when the islanders had hope

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko37 View Post
Thanks for doing these, Habsfan18! I really enjoy them.
I had never heard of the Esposito/McKenzie incident
No problem

And about the McKenzie incident, neither had I.

Can someone shed any more light on this situation?

Old
06-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
No problem

And about the McKenzie incident, neither had I.

Can someone shed any more light on this situation?
Hmm...if only there was a poster who could give some sort of first-hand account. I wish Esposito posted here...

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Hmm...if only there was a poster who could give some sort of first-hand account. I wish Esposito posted here...
It actually would be pretty neat if Bob can give us an idea of what happened.

But, I'm pretty sure he's a busy man and has better things to do

Old
06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Brownies

I m just taking a minute to thank Habsfan18 for these threads. I find them highly enjoyable. It s fun to read something different than the usual "top 10 fastest skaters" or "Sundin to Montreal (with new line-up)" kindd of threads..

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Strummergas

Thanks Habsfan...keep 'em coming!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
I m just taking a minute to thank Habsfan18 for these threads. I find them highly enjoyable. It s fun to read something different than the usual "top 10 fastest skaters" or "Sundin to Montreal (with new line-up)" kindd of threads..
Thank you. I really do appreciate that.

However, I do wonder if it's worth it to continue with these threads. The first couple ones were fairly popular and sparked some good discussions. The ones I've done lately don't seem to be getting many replies. I'm not quite sure if many people just simply don't find it interesting, or if most people just read the thread without discussing.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:

However, I do wonder if it's worth it to continue with these threads. The first couple ones were fairly popular and sparked some good discussions. The ones I've done lately don't seem to be getting many replies. I'm not quite sure if many people just simply don't find it interesting, or if most people just read the thread without discussing.
I find them really interesting but don't have much to contribute to the conversation. I think it's a little harder for the younger folks to contribute on topics like these, but I personalyl find them very good reads.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:10 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
You guys know the drill.

This is fom the November 6th, 1992 issue of THN. One of the more enjoyable old issues I've read.

- On the cover is Canucks young phenom Pavel Bure. "The new NHL - Here's how game is played now."

- Making the news was an altercation between reporter Bob McKenzie and Tampa Bay GM Phil Esposito. McKenzie says he was assaulted by Esposito in the Lightning dressing room following a game at Maple Leaf Gardens on October 15th. A Toronto police spokesman said there is enough evidence to proceed with a charge of simple assault. Phil Esposito on the situation: "I don't deny that I tried to get him out of the way, but I never punched him," "If I'd have punched him he would have gone down."

- THN looks at coaches and how often they change. The New York Islanders offer the best coaching security, making only 4 changes in 21 years..an average of a change every 5.25 years. The worst coaching security? New Jersey, at a change every 1.19 years.

- NYI's Darius Kasparaitis becomes first NHL'er to have a Washington D.C. national lobby issue a news release on his behalf. After some reporters and broadcasters incorrectly referred to him as a "Russian" the Lithuanian National Foundation dispatched this press release: "Calling Darius a Russian makes as much sense as labelling Glenn Healy a Mexican, or Uwe Krupp an Italian."

- Ever since Igor Larionov signed with Lugano of the Swiss league, Pat Quinn announced his intentions of finding a centerman to play with Pavel Bure. After 2 failed attempts with Trevor Linden and Greg Adams, Quinn finally found his man..Petr Nedved, who set up Bure twice in his first 2 games at center.

- Oilers defenceman Dave Manson is fined $20,000 for spearing Calgary's Joel Otto.

- Winnipeg's Keith Tkachuk leads a new brigade of unkinder, ungentler American players. Winnipeg coach John Paddock: "We think Keith can become a player along the lines of Cam Neely or Rick Tocchet."

- Penguins superstar Mario Lemieux on the state of the game: "The NHL was selling the wrong product for so many years. They were selling the marginal players instead of the great players. I think it has to have rules similar to basketball, protecting the good players."

- On his trade anniversary, Islanders Benoit Hogue snaps a scoring slump with a hat-trick against Hartford.

- Feeling he needed to save his career, Petr Stastny settled for a 1 year contract with the New Jersey Devils. Stastny made it no secret he either wanted a long term deal from the Devils, or a trade back to Quebec.

- Whaler center Andrew Cassels, who had 10 points in 9 games, was finally beginning to come into his own. Cassels has taken over the reigns as number 1 center for Hartford.

- St.Louis Brendan Shanahan, or "Shan the Man" has 8 goals through 9 games and is on a Brett Hull 75 goal-like pace.
Coaches even last a full year under Lou?

And that Modano contract...we'll never see those kind of contracts again, will we...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:26 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Thanks for doing these. I have suscribed to the magazine for 18 years now and stupid stupid me haven't thought to keep any of the old issues.

06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
overg

Quote:
"The NHL was selling the wrong product for so many years. They were selling the marginal players instead of the great players. I think it has to have rules similar to basketball, protecting the good players."
This one surprised me, in that I didn't think Mario started making such comments for at least another few years. Anyone know what he was talking about? This would be 3-4 years before the trap became vogue or "clutch and grab" an actual gameplan.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
This one surprised me, in that I didn't think Mario started making such comments for at least another few years. Anyone know what he was talking about? This would be 3-4 years before the trap became vogue or "clutch and grab" an actual gameplan.
it was basically just an article about how Lemiuex wasn't very vocal about the league up until that point. Wayne Gretzky was currently out with an injury so it gave more room for Lemiuex to speak publically about the game.

Old
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Sotnos

Quote:

I always read your threads & think it's interesting to look at how things were 10 or 15 years ago. It's almost shocking sometimes the guys that were hyped that never amounted to anything, the salaries, etc. A lot of us appreciate them even if there's not much to add.

That Espo/McKenzie story is priceless, and that quote totally sounds like Espo. I don't remember that incident, but here are a few articles about it from the St. Pete Times.
Writer says Espo punched him

Conflicting stories about what happened

There are several more articles talking about when/if Espo would answer the charges. It didn't come up again until late November when the Lightning were in Toronto. McKenzie asked that charges be dropped, and they were a week later.

06-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
watching some old games from the early 90s the term "clutch and grab" was already quite prevalent, even if goal scoring was still pretty high.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Brownies

Quote:

I've read all these threads and this is my 2nd comment only, because I had nothing worthwile to add. Not every threads are supposed to hit 6 pages, but it doesn't mean that they're not interresting.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Niko37

Quote:
It actually would be pretty neat if Bob can give us an idea of what happened.

But, I'm pretty sure he's a busy man and has better things to do
Maybe when the "Frenzy" dies down in the next couple of days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
I've read all these threads and this is my 2nd comment only, because I had nothing worthwile to add. Not every threads are supposed to hit 6 pages, but it doesn't mean that they're not interresting.
Same here; I love reading these but had never commented before. I know they take a lot of work but they are much-appreciated

Also, thank you to Sotnos for the links on "the McKenzie-Esposito Incident".

Last edited by Niko37: 07-01-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Go Habs Go

This is a great thread by the way.

I vaguely remember Mackenzie getting into some sort of scrum, I didn't know it was Esposito.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote