HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed: Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky

Old
06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
hillbillypriest

vCash: 500
I have always liked Visnovsky, although his last year after signing a big money extension gives one pause.

I'll miss Stoll, but I'm glad to find out that something was in the works with Stoll. As documented in another thread, I was pretty sure Stoll was going one way or another, and I didn't like the predicament Lowe would have been in if he actually wanted to keep Stoll as compared to other options he might have taken. I guess my faith that Lowe is not on medication is restored for the moment.

Given the kind of player Visnovsky is, it sure looks like some Pitkanen shoe is now about to drop too. Gotta hand it to Lowe on one account, it's sure never dull...

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
I really dislike that pairing. We might need Peckham a little earlier than we thought.
I sure hope so.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Yep, Pitkanen to Carolina seems like a very likely outcome at this stage in the game. Something centered around Cole for Pitkanen really wouldn't shock me although I wish we could somehow snag Williams.

----------------
Now playing: Deerhunter - Strange Lights
This deal makes very little sense?? Why would we be after Cole?? Penner is perfect for the #1 line....Lowe will go after someone big through trade. Spezza to Edm for Cogs, Pitkanen, and Roloson

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
This deal makes very little sense?? Why would we be after Cole?? Penner is perfect for the #1 line....Lowe will go after someone big through trade. Spezza to Edm for Cogs, Pitkanen, and Roloson
Lowe has wanted Cole for a while. He's also not looking for a replacement for Penner on the top line but rather another top six forward for insurance in case of a sophomore slump.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
RKD

Does anyone here want a certain player gone? This is three straight seasons that I've bought a player's jersey and they've been traded in about a half a year.

Smyth, Lupul, now Stoll.

Although, I can't say I'm disappointed. Although the likelihood of Joni staying isn't looking good at all, I've been wanting Lubie for a while now!

EDIT: Oh ****, I just bought a Gagner jersey in April!

Ragss

I'm hearing Lubes had a NTC, is that true? Does that mean someone actually chose to come join us in Syberia?

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KGpens

I'm not going to pretend to be an avid Oiler watcher, but why would Edmonton pick up Lubo, who is 31 and has a very large contract, and move Pitkanen, who is a lot younger and have much more upside? Oilers aren't going to be contenders for a long time...Doesn't make any sense to me...

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Easily...he's a franchise defenseman...the one we wanted Joni to be when he grew up.
I agree - he needs to rebound from last year but when he's on, he's a top d-man.

What a day... Tampa just acquired Brian Rolston.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The Oilers made a call between Smid and Greene and chose Smid. I think that was a wise decision. One of these two guys was going to spend entirely too much time in the PB.

Pitkanen is "probably" on the way out now. I'd still actually prefer to keep him unless you can honestly get an elite forward in return.

Souray-Gilbert
Pitkanen-Vishnovsky
Smid-Staios
Grebeshkov

Who's kidding who. Joni is gone. I really hope he nets a good return.
I know Smid still makes a boatload of mistakes, but I would hate to give up on a 22 year old Dman who is big and can skate and has a bit of grit to his game. In all of the trade scenarios I've heard that involved Greene or Smid, my choice was always to keep Smid.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:00 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Well this sure beats the hell out of Stoll for Cammalleri. At least I'm happy he didnt take the first bite and waited for Visnovsky to open up. Visnovsky fills more of a need than Cammalleri does.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jnewton91

Not too bad for a guy who, over the last 3 years (post lockout), has averaged: 77GP, 14G, 41A, 55P. Sounds like a franchise defenceman to me, lets just hope last year was the exception and not the new rule.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Luongo4VP

Great now I can't laugh at the Flames for handing out close to 7 Mil to Dion Phaneuf

Are any of you actually happy that we got a 7 million dollar defenseman?

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Here's a few pics.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coug555

You guys will like Lubo. He is great and a hilariously akward euro. Vote for Lubo! Cooookie?

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Lowe has wanted Cole for a while. He's also not looking for a replacement for Penner on the top line but rather another top six forward for insurance in case of a sophomore slump.
That's the problem though, Cole would have been good 3yrs ago. We don't need a "replacement" for the kids. We need someone who comes in as a bonafide legit top 3 player.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Thanks Bob - you are the man.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
Great now I can't laugh at the Flames for handing out close to 7 Mil to Dion Phaneuf

He has a cap hit of $5.6M. As much as I don't like framing Katz as superman, the front-loaded contract shouldn't really pose much of a problem.

----------------
Now playing: Deerhunter - Heatherwood

Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Does anyone here want a certain player gone? This is three straight seasons that I've bought a player's jersey and they've been traded in about a half a year.

Smyth, Lupul, now Stoll.

Although, I can't say I'm disappointed. Although the likelihood of Joni staying isn't looking good at all, I've been wanting Lubie for a while now!

EDIT: Oh ****, I just bought a Gagner jersey in April!

I GOT A SMYTH JERSEY AND LIKE A WEEK LATER HE GOT TRADED...I JUST GOT A GAGNER JERSEY...

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Speedyturtle

I guess Stoll will be nice and close to his supermodel girlfriends in California. I'll truly miss his faceoff, penalty killing and booming shot. I really hope Vishnovsky can compensate for that. I haven't seen him play much in recent years.

Speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

LOL

Jarrett Stoll's departure = Marty Reasoner's Return!!!!!!???????

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Yep, Pitkanen to Carolina seems like a very likely outcome at this stage in the game. Something centered around Cole for Pitkanen really wouldn't shock me although I wish we could somehow snag Williams.[/url]
If it has to be Pitkanen to Carolina, Williams would be the guy I'd love to get as well.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:

I'd be more upset if his cap hit was 7M.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I like this deal. We get the best player I think.
I'm sure we get the best player, No doubt in my mind. The old truism that 'whoever gets the best player wins the trade' may not be true in a capped system though. It might be truer that 'whoever gets the best contract wins the trade'. I don't know. With such a large jump in cap space this year maybe it just doesn't matter as much.

I thought it was going to be a relatively quiet summer for the Oil. Now I'm thinking there has to be more.

One thing I am pretty certain of. Both Greene and Stoll were identified as players that were not in the future plans of this team regardless of the return they brought.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jadeddog

at first blush i dont like this deal at all, and heres why:
- the biggest reason is that this likely ends pitkanens time in edmonton, and he was *by far* our best defenceman last year.... unless the return for pitkanen is rather large, i dont like losing him one single bit... pitkanen >> visnovsky

- stoll had a bad year, only shooting 7.5%, and hes still young, with his best playing days ahead of him... at 25 years old, stoll was just about to start hitting his prime years... i would be absolutely shocked if stoll doesnt have a rebound season

- we get a lot smaller and weaker (toughness wise) with this trade.... both greene and stoll were players more than willing to "muck it up".... visnovsky isnt exactly known for being a sand-paper player

- visnovsky is turning 32 this summer.... how does this fit into our "be a contender in 2 years from now" plan? he will be 34-35 by the time our team is really any good

- we're worst defensively now, and once pitkanen is moved (as he will be) we're going to be MUCH worst defensively.... you all thought we had trouble playign defence *last* season? it will pale in comparison to the upcoming year with a defence of: souray, visnovsky, smid, gilbert, grebs and staios

the only positives i see are:
- our puck possession should be better, as visnovsky is a dynamite passer and can lead the rush from his own end

- our PP should get slightly better, but not by leaps and bounds as most people think, as stoll was more than an adequate on the PP point

overall this ends up being:
stoll + greene + pitkenen for visnovsky + unamed player in the upcoming pitkanen trade (likely a forward).... unless that forward is one HELL of a player, thats not an equation that we win

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RKD

Quote:

If he plays like a $7 million defenseman, then hell yes. The reports/rumors that Pits wants $5+ million is hard to swallow when he didn't play anything like his demands would indicate.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote