HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester

Old
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Bouw gets 25 minutes a game because he is capable of handling the load. If he wasn't those extra minutes would be easily distributed among other defensemen. If he is traded the team would have defensemen playing out of thier roles. It would be disastrous and it would undermine JMs "philosophy." What would you know of Bouwmeesters personality in the locker room or on the ice ? Nothing. You only know his personality from media appearances. He is not being paid to do media appearances. He is being paid to get results on the ice. Look at the statistics.

Why don't you list the 20 defensemen that are better than Bouwmeester ?
i agree. that post was nonsense. jay is not soft. not soft at all. lidstrom appears just as reserved as jay does most of the time. hmm. in any event, debating this would become moot if he is signed to an offer or traded - it will be obvious to people like the poster that they have no idea what kind of player jay is.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Vokoun29

I think NYR just commited a crime to CBJ... So would you people woulda been cool if it was us that traded JBO for Zherdev?

Vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
kyle747

keep in mind, guys, you are one year away from losing Your top defensemen for nothing like Ottawa did with 2 players - Redden & Chara - and Buffalo did with Soupy

If he were signed to a multi-year deal you would get a spezza type player in return, but because of contract status too many teams will not give up a number #1 center for a guy who may go to UFA in 12 months.

You're going to have to settle for less (no Parise or spezza) because of the contract issues involved (my opinion)

Also, I'm puzzled by the timing - wouldn't it be better to have a bidding war for this guy? Lots of teams have locked up cap space already after the first day of UFA and there are less possible destinations today vs yesterday

Last edited by kyle747: 07-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.
kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
keep in mind, guys, you are one year away from losing Your top defensemen for nothing like Ottawa did with 2 players - Redden & Chara - and Buffalo did with Soupy

If he were signed to a multi-year deal you would get a spezza type player in return, but because of contract status too many teams will not give up a number #1 center for a guy who may go to UFA in 12 months.

You're going to have to settle for less (no Parise or spezza) because of the contract issues involved (my opinion)

Also, I'm puzzled by the timing - wouldn't it be better to have a bidding war for this guy? Lots of teams have locked up cap space already after the first day of UFA and there are less possible destinations today vs yesterday
NJ is a bad destination, because they don't have the cap room to sign Bouwmeester. So, unless another bad contract is coming our way, Gionta or Zubrus, maybe more, Parise is out of the question.

And as far as Spezza is concerned, I know that is what we should get for dealing Jay, but I doubt the Sens want to send him anywhere without replacing him in some way. Thus, all of the Vermette and Meszaros offers.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Any deal with the Devils has to include Parise. Thats why I keep saying Parise for Bouw straight up. Both players are very young, devils get their #1 Dman they need, we get the scoring we need.
If Bouw is traded, he has to be somewhat replaced. We don't scoring as much as we need to replace Bouw. You can't just lose a top 15 d-man off your blueline and not address it. That will lead to another lottery pick.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
if jay is moved, it will be for a very good defenseman. has to be.
I agree. People expecting a star forward will be disappointed.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukboy8 View Post
NJ is a bad destination, because they don't have the cap room to sign Bouwmeester. So, unless another bad contract is coming our way, Gionta or Zubrus, maybe more, Parise is out of the question.

And as far as Spezza is concerned, I know that is what we should get for dealing Jay, but I doubt the Sens want to send him anywhere without replacing him in some way. Thus, all of the Vermette and Meszaros offers.
Well, I can tell you that getting Spezza for Bouwmeester is very unlikely. I'd rather keep Meszaros and find some interim Defenseman and then wait for some of our other promising prospects to mature. In 2 years, we would be able to keep Spezza and have plenty of Defensemen. So at the end of the day, there's really no point in moving a good center signed at a good contract when we have Karlsson coming down the line.

What other teams are going to give up is in question. The devils fans don't seem likely to offer Parise any more than we want to offer Spezza, and a good number of other teams might feel the same way.

Hypothetically, if no teams were willing to move a #1 Defenseman, or star sniper, are you guys going to sign Bouwmeester for a few years until he goes UFA and lose him for nothing? Or would you rather trade him for a realistic package?

Vermette, Meszaros, Nikulin, Neil, 1st '09, 3rd '10 (picks conditional on signing) is probably one of the more realistic offer Ottawa could come up with.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Easy. The Cats are hoping Ballard can be a poor man's Bouwmeester and hope Ellerby advances quickly in their system in a year or two. There are replacements for Bouw in the Organization, not quite as good but suitable enough.
Umm.......no.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokoun29 View Post
I think NYR just commited a crime to CBJ... So would you people woulda been cool if it was us that traded JBO for Zherdev?
Not if it was straight up for Zherdev, which minus the other two throw-ins, it was. Bouw is worth far more than Zherdev.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Well, I can tell you that getting Spezza for Bouwmeester is very unlikely. I'd rather keep Meszaros and find some interim Defenseman and then wait for some of our other promising prospects to mature. In 2 years, we would be able to keep Spezza and have plenty of Defensemen. So at the end of the day, there's really no point in moving a good center signed at a good contract when we have Karlsson coming down the line.

What other teams are going to give up is in question. The devils fans don't seem likely to offer Parise any more than we want to offer Spezza, and a good number of other teams might feel the same way.

Hypothetically, if no teams were willing to move a #1 Defenseman, or star sniper, are you guys going to sign Bouwmeester for a few years until he goes UFA and lose him for nothing? Or would you rather trade him for a realistic package?

Vermette, Meszaros, Nikulin, Neil, 1st '09, 3rd '10 (picks conditional on signing) is probably one of the more realistic offer Ottawa could come up with.
As a fan of another team, you aren't quite aware of the situation. Bouwmeester seems likely not to sign here, due to various reasons, especially long term. He is an RFA now, and will be a UFA next summer. If Jay gets traded, the Cats won't get what they want. I know this, but some fans act as if he will still fetch a good return.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post

Forget the picks conditional on signing. Just give us Meszaros, Vermette, and the 1st '09. I think that's very fair for both sides. You're not going to get a top 15 d-man for a package like that very often, and it's also a very good deal for Florida.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukboy8 View Post
As a fan of another team, you aren't quite aware of the situation. Bouwmeester seems likely not to sign here, due to various reasons, especially long term. He is an RFA now, and will be a UFA next summer. If Jay gets traded, the Cats won't get what they want. I know this, but some fans act as if he will still fetch a good return.
Yes, I was aware. I don't think most teams are going to give up 3 or 4 1st rounders to get Bouwmeester now, but he might just take a 1 or 2 year deal to wait till he's UFA and then go to the higher bidder or team he wants.

All things considered, it's not an incredible amount of leverage. Spezza is signed for 7 years, and we could just hold on to him and go for Bouwmeester as a UFA if we really wanted him that bad.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Forget the picks conditional on signing. Just give us Meszaros, Vermette, and the 1st '09. I think that's very fair for both sides. You're not going to get a top 15 d-man for a package like that very often, and it's also a very good deal for Florida.
yeah, but that kind of deal would have to be conditional on him signing a multi-year deal with the receiving team. If he intends to test UFA then all deals are off, as they say.

No team is going to want to give up assets only to watch this guy walk in 12 months.

I still don't understand what Florida is waiting for here. The close JB comes to free agency the less they get back, and the fewer teams to be bidders as teams piss away money on Jeff Finger type players.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Georgia Panther

Looks like Boyle is being traded to Ottawa which would kill that trade possibility for Bouw. TSN reporting a deal is in the works and TB has asked Boyle to waive his no-movement clause.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
yeah, but that kind of deal would have to be conditional on him signing a multi-year deal with the receiving team. If he intends to test UFA then all deals are off, as they say.

No team is going to want to give up assets only to watch this guy walk in 12 months.

I still don't understand what Florida is waiting for here. The close JB comes to free agency the less they get back, and the fewer teams to be bidders as teams piss away money on Jeff Finger type players.
To get a top 15 d-man for an entire season, and if that team is a playoff contender, then there's a very good chance Bouw will resign with them. I definitely think some team would give up the assets. Look what star rental players get at the deadline every year, and those teams only get them for a few months sometimes.

It's an incredibly tough situation for Florida. It's really tough to tell what the exact feeling is on both sides. Forgive me, but I'm not about to put all my belief in some Rangers blogger that Bouw undeniably wants out. And I doubt the Panthers want to make a panicked knee-jerk trade just so they can trade him ASAP. They want to get the best deal possible if they have to trade him.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:32 AM
kyle747

Quote:
To get a top 15 d-man for an entire season, and if that team is a playoff contender, then there's a very good chance Bouw will resign with them. I definitely think some team would give up the assets. Look what star rental players get at the deadline every year, and those teams only get them for a few months sometimes.

It's an incredibly tough situation for Florida. It's really tough to tell what the exact feeling is on both sides. Forgive me, but I'm not about to put all my belief in some Rangers blogger that Bouw undeniably wants out. And I doubt the Panthers want to make a panicked knee-jerk trade just so they can trade him ASAP. They want to get the best deal possible if they have to trade him.
Well, I sure don't know if he wants a trade and didn't mean to suggest he did. They should just ask the guy - be upfront and honest and go from there.

But this dithering around by the panther management has got to stop. They screwed themselves on the Ollie trade by saying no, we're not going to trade him when they could have got more at last years trade deadline - much more.

If he is going to be moved - then do it and get all they can. This team can make the playoffs this year for a change, but they need to avoid distractions and frankly, with the number of defense they have in camp I think Jay is expendable - I think they want to make this trade for some offense but are leery of fan reaction.

Also, teams are not going to move core assets on the off chance Jay gives up his UFA. Not after the crazy stuff we've seen in the last two days. Not responsible teams. Building up assets is too hard.
Any deal that favors Florida is going to have to be conditional on signing.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Well, I sure don't know if he wants a trade and didn't mean to suggest he did. They should just ask the guy - be upfront and honest and go from there.

But this dithering around by the panther management has got to stop. They screwed themselves on the Ollie trade by saying no, we're not going to trade him when they could have got more at last years trade deadline - much more.

If he is going to be moved - then do it and get all they can. This team can make the playoffs this year for a change, but they need to avoid distractions and frankly, with the number of defense they have in camp I think Jay is expendable - I think they want to make this trade for some offense but are leery of fan reaction.

Also, teams are not going to move core assets on the off chance Jay gives up his UFA. Not after the crazy stuff we've seen in the last two days. Not responsible teams. Building up assets is too hard.
Your comments are rational, but the hockey world has recently rejected sanity when it comes to D-men, especially puck moving D-men. Is it rational to sign 31 year old, Wayne Redden to a six year, $6.5mm contract? The D market is so overheated that the Ollie trade, which looked really bad a week ago, now actually appears to favor Florida.

I respectfully suggest that there are many GMs with more money than sense who need to win now and believe that landing a J-Bo will keep them employed. To quote a certain rapper:"the ski is the limit."

I expect JM likely will trade J-Bo if someone offers a deal that favors Florida.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:52 PM
GA

Just curious if something from Boston based around Kessel would spark some interest? Obviously it would require some more but he'd obviously be a/the major part. Say something along the lines of Phil, Lashoff (one of the B's top prospects - top D prospect w/ some NHL experience), Murray ($4 mill. but it expires after this year and may provide some offense in the meantime), either Alberts or Ference (both around $1.25 mill), and a 1st? Really, almost any of their prospects not named Rask could be swapped in/added (at least as far as I'm concerned), plus Axelsson or Schaeffer (though I'd really love to keep Ax around, but we're running out of room for him) are moveable.

Basically, any interest in something built around Kessel?

GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

The picture painted by the media down here is that Martin wanted to trade Olli at the trade deadline, and maybe even before that, but our owner blocked any trades from happening. He's had a long, bad history of interfering with hockey operations matters and that just recently seems to have changed in the last couple months. That wasn't really management's fault, but I guess I get what you're trying to say, it probably seems from an outside perspective like the brass doesn't know which way they want to go. But it really does seem like ownership was getting in the way of what management was trying to do.

But you say move Bouw and get all we can, but then you say nobody is going to give up core assets......so what do you want the Panthers to do? A trade conditional on signing? What if Bouw doesn't resign with the team he's traded to? Then Florida gets basically nothing????? Maybe that's why the Panthers are making it sound like they want to hold on to Jay and convince him to resign sometime during the season.

I don't think Jay is expendable. We'll most likely have 8 d-men on the roster, maybe even 7, depends on what we do during the summer. IMO you can't just trade away a top 15 d-man and not somewhat replace him. I can't imagine Martin making any trade with Bouw and not bringing back a very good d-man in return. I don't think they are looking for offense as the main part of the return. Maybe a forward will be included, but not a star.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
Just curious if something from Boston based around Kessel would spark some interest? Obviously it would require some more but he'd obviously be a/the major part. Say something along the lines of Phil, Lashoff (one of the B's top prospects - top D prospect w/ some NHL experience), Murray ($4 mill. but it expires after this year and may provide some offense in the meantime), either Alberts or Ference (both around $1.25 mill), and a 1st? Really, almost any of their prospects not named Rask could be swapped in/added (at least as far as I'm concerned), plus Axelsson or Schaeffer (though I'd really love to keep Ax around, but we're running out of room for him) are moveable.

Basically, any interest in something built around Kessel?
IMO any Bouw trade will have to bring in a very good defenseman in return. I don't think a deal centered around Kessel is what we're looking for.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:47 PM
GA

That's understandable, though it's hard to trade for a similar asset...why would someone swap one D for another unless there is a relatively big difference in talent level. One could rationalize that that was the reason for the Ballard return. And I do think that Lashoff could be that D man...though he's unproven. Obviously not a likely norris trophy candidate in the future, but definitely has the potential to be a good number two if not a one...and soon. Appreciate (and completely understand) the view. Thanks.

GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
zeroG

Quote:
The picture painted by the media down here is that Martin wanted to trade Olli at the trade deadline, and maybe even before that, but our owner blocked any trades from happening. He's had a long, bad history of interfering with hockey operations matters and that just recently seems to have changed in the last couple months. That wasn't really management's fault, but I guess I get what you're trying to say, it probably seems from an outside perspective like the brass doesn't know which way they want to go. But it really does seem like ownership was getting in the way of what management was trying to do.

But you say move Bouw and get all we can, but then you say nobody is going to give up core assets......so what do you want the Panthers to do? A trade conditional on signing? What if Bouw doesn't resign with the team he's traded to? Then Florida gets basically nothing????? Maybe that's why the Panthers are making it sound like they want to hold on to Jay and convince him to resign sometime during the season.

I don't think Jay is expendable. We'll most likely have 8 d-men on the roster, maybe even 7, depends on what we do during the summer. IMO you can't just trade away a top 15 d-man and not somewhat replace him. I can't imagine Martin making any trade with Bouw and not bringing back a very good d-man in return. I don't think they are looking for offense as the main part of the return. Maybe a forward will be included, but not a star.

i basically said the same thing yesterday. some posters think we have the defensive depth to give up jay for offense. what a joke. take jay out of the equation and we're worse off than last year and we know how that turned out.

wrt olli, yeah, that's the only story out there at this point - cohen said "i will never trade olli". later, he came out and said "jacques never brought a trade to me to approve". uh... DUH. at least that's what we know of the situation.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
That's understandable, though it's hard to trade for a similar asset...why would someone swap one D for another unless there is a relatively big difference in talent level. One could rationalize that that was the reason for the Ballard return. And I do think that Lashoff could be that D man...though he's unproven. Obviously not a likely norris trophy candidate in the future, but definitely has the potential to be a good number two if not a one...and soon. Appreciate (and completely understand) the view. Thanks.
good point. JM is going to be forced (imo, at least, for reasons mentioned above) to try to fill jay's shoes if it comes to that. it may be that he has to take an approach that fills the gap in some other way (than a one for one deal). we'll see how it works out. i think the our point is that, right now, we're not interested in deals centered around guys like phil, and i live here, see him play a lot and like him. not that we wouldn't like the offense, just that we can't afford to lose the D.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I don't mean that we'd be trading Bouw for say....Phillips+ for example. But something along the lines of Bouw for Meszaros++ is more realistic. There would be a relatively big difference in talent level, but we'd still be trying to at least replace as much of Bouw as we can. Ballard isn't enough to cover up for Bouw, Martin was saying all the way back to last season that he was going to pursue a puck moving d-man in the offseason to help out Bouw on the blueline. No matter how good Lashoff may be in the future, he can't step in immediately and be a really big prescence in the top 4. Just giving my 2 cents.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

i basically said the same thing yesterday. some posters think we have the defensive depth to give up jay for offense. what a joke. take jay out of the equation and we're worse off than last year and we know how that turned out.

wrt olli, yeah, that's the only story out there at this point - cohen said "i will never trade olli". later, he came out and said "jacques never brought a trade to me to approve". uh... DUH. at least that's what we know of the situation.
Yeah, if we give up Jay for offense, and we get hit with injuries on the blueline again, then we'll have a great chance of replacing Bouw with Hedman at next year's draft.

Also, remember Biggane saying Martin was attempting to trade Olli at the deadline, but Cohen stepped in and blocked any trades? Cohen may have said whatever he pleased at that STH gathering after the season to appease fans, but that doesn't mean it was the whole truth.