HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you think Visnovksy will fit in with Edmonton?

Old
06-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Luongo4VP

vCash: 500
How do you think Visnovksy will fit in with Edmonton?

We are really hoping that the guy will enjoy living in the City. He just came from Hollywood so Im not sold that he is going to entirely appreciate his tenure here.

First of All:

PLEASE tell me his wife is not American

Is he a family man? If he is then Edmonton seems like a good location.

I hope to god this doesn't turn out the way Pronger's scenario did.

The only Plus I have seen from him is the fact that he idolized the Oilers (More so Coffey) as a child growing up in Czech.

Will He be a good Mentor for our young Czechs? Hemsky and Smid?

Please lets pray to god that he likes it in Edmonton.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Lowetide

Not everyone is Chris Pronger.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Teamcanada

Well.. did he not waive his no trade to come here? That might be your answer

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
RabidPitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
His NTC doesn't come into effect until July 1. Now that he is traded his NTC is void unless the club he is traded to (Oilers) decides it will honor the original NTC in writing to the player, central registry and I can't recall whom else.

RabidPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
nosaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidPitbull View Post
His NTC doesn't come into effect until July 1. Now that he is traded his NTC is void unless the club he is traded to (Oilers) decides it will honor the original NTC in writing to the player, central registry and I can't recall whom else.
wow that is great news. They just began praising the edmonton oilers move on NHL live

nosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:16 AM
millax

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
No. His no trade was not going to come into affect until July 1st with his new contract.

The Oilers also now have the option of honouring that aspect of his contract. He effectively does not have a NMC in his contract anymore.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
RabidPitbull

Back on topic.....

It was stated that Lubo was home in the Czech Republic and couldn't be reached for comment.

I think having other Czech mates on the team will help make his transition smoother. Yes he's a veteran but starting off in a new place with people that have something in common helps.

On that note I wonder if that would help lure a certain Czech forward with a H, an O, a couple of snakes and an A in his name to sign here.....

Old
06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidPitbull View Post
Back on topic.....

It was stated that Lubo was home in the Czech Republic and couldn't be reached for comment.

I think having other Czech mates on the team will help make his transition smoother. Yes he's a veteran but starting off in a new place with people that have something in common helps.

On that note I wonder if that would help lure a certain Czech forward with a H, an O, a couple of snakes and an A in his name to sign here.....
Hossa is a Slovak

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
RabidPitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Hossa is a Slovak
My bad..... I'd still say that it's a fair arguement that the language and culture is similar though.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Hossa is a Slovak
So is Lubo.

The Languages and Countries are pretty Identical so its often not regarded as major differences.

Old
06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Asher

Like many players, he will probably have reservations about the move, especially will all the bad press that followed Pronger. But I also expect that like those other players it will not take a long time at all before he is very happy about it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
So is Lubo.

The Languages and Countries are pretty Identical so its often not regarded as major differences.
Considering they used to be one country this is not strange. Hopefully he will fit in well around here.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Giggli G

Apparently there is an interview where he disses the LA organization and 'sounds like he doesn't really like Edmonton.' I am waiting for the translation.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:46 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Apparently there is an interview where he disses the LA organization and 'sounds like he doesn't really like Edmonton.' I am waiting for the translation.
Lovely

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Are you being Serious?

**** Lowe trade him immediately.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Agent Zero

How about if Lowe strikes another deal with Philly.

Visnovsky for Carter.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
So is Lubo.

seeing as they were 1 country for a loooong time...

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:16 PM
dsi

Quote:
I was actually worried about this last night. Nylander part 2.

I was also thinking that this could eventually turn out to be a 3-way trade... shipping Lubo and his salary off to somewhere else for a one-shot sniper.

dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Part A is not surprising, since the NMC tied to an LA lifestyle was all part of what he was getting in exchange for extending last summer well before he hit the UFA market. In retrospect, if he had done that, he could have chosen where he wanted to go. I'd be steaming mad.

Part B is also not surprising, since I'd wager that Edmonton is once of the places the NMC is supposed to protect you from.

With respect to the NMC, I've seen some posts suggesting that it has been voided somehow because of the trade, which is an interpretation that I'm dubious of. If someone can provide a CBA cite to back up that the NMC has been voided, I'd appreciate it. If he's not happy in Edmonton and the NMC still does exists, the upside of being a "supposed NHL backwater" (as Edmonton was recently referred to as on XM) is that it may not be so difficult to get a NMC waived than it apparently has been for Toronto.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, happy guy or no happy guy, if the guy tries to pull a Pronger, the Oilers should pull a Yashin (sue his butt for non-performance), not the Pronger accommodation approach. I think that lesson has been learned.

Anyway, I hope the Vishes are happy in Edmonton. If he gives it a good try, and plays like I think he's capable (I'm a big fan from way back) he could be a diety in Oilerland.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
McGhostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

vCash: 50
Full translation of the article:

The major news of Monday morning in hockey circles in Slovakia was undoubtedly the unexpected trade of Lubomir Visnovsky from Los Angeles Kings to Edmonton Oilers for Jarret Stoll and Matt Greene. This information surprised not only the fans and experts, but also the 31-years old offensive defenseman himself. Last summer, Visnovsky signed a new 5-year contract for 27 million dollars, which goes in effect next season. The contract also contains a no-trade clause, according to which the club can only trade the player to another team, if the player agrees to it. But the Kings used pretty much the last chance to avoid this clause, since it kicks in at 1st of July.

"I'm frustrated and very sad. They pretty much didn't do anything that they couldn't, according to the contract. However, there was a verbal deal under the table, according to which they shouldn't trade me at all. They told it to me and my agent straight into our faces a year ago, when we were signing the contract. 'You're our player, we won't trade you.' Even the owner called me back then and told me: 'Lubo, your home ain't Bratislava and Slovakia, it's LA. You'll play here for us. We're happy to have you here, and you'll stay here.' So I was 100% sure, that I'll stay in LA, and if they wanted to trade me, that they'd trade me after a mutual agreement, so both sides were content." stated Lubomir Visnovsky on a press conference about this trade.

The best hockey player of Slovakia in 2005 and owner of complete medal collection from world championships was still obviously disappointed a few hours after the deal was made public, especially because of the way the management of his former team acted. "As far as two weeks ago the GM gave me word via my agent, that they want to trade me. We agreed, that OK, they can trade me, but after mutual agreement. They listed me six particular teams, with which I was basically content. I even expected, that something would come from this, but out of nowhere my agent called me at 2:30AM on Monday, and told me, that they traded me to Edmonton. It was also a surprise for him, and even bigger one for me. I admit, I was in quite a shock and didn't expect I'd end up on that team." stated the Topolcany native, who admitted, that Oilers weren't on the mentioned list, and also weren't among the clubs he himself would be interested in.

"Everybody was waiting for the 1st July, for the free agent market to open. So I expected, that I certainly won't be traded before that date. After 1st July I had a no-trade clause in my contract, and thus I'd have to agree to a trade to a different team. However they made it so fast and unexpectedly, they didn't even talk with me or my agent." related his feelings one of the best slovakian players of today.

Aside from change of team, he also has to deal with a major move. He'll have to change the summer clothing, which he wore in the 'city of angels', for warm clothes, he also needs to sell the house in LA and buy a new one in canadian Edmonton. "I hope, that it'll be better hockey-wise. Edmonton is a hockey town and GM Kevin Lowe called me, that they'd like to aim for higher spots. He didn't talk directly about the Stanley Cup, but they surely want at least into the playoffs. Even that's a big challenge for me, because I didn't play in playoffs for five years. I know that they would also like to sign one older, experienced forward, to be the offensive leader. We could put a good team together.

As for weather, it's great when I can go on the beach after training and the sun is shining. But hockey life is about something else. I'm deeply wounded by how they acted. For my family, girlfriend, it's even much more harder. I have to say she's been brave about it, she even cheered me up instead of the other way around. She was very strong. I still have a five-year contract to fulfill, which I hope won't be the last one, and I'm there to play hockey and not to pick cities, where it's warmer. I just hope we'll be much better than LA and that we always beat them when we square off with them." states the best player of slovak national team on recent world championships in Canada.

For the first time ever he could feel himself, how players can be handled overseas. "Never before could I feel it so much. I came here to NHL in 2000 and played all 8, or rather 7, seasons in Kings jersey. So I couldn't realize how does a player feel in such situation. Actually I pretty much gave all I could there. Even if I had a small contract, I produced big performances. Now when they should pay me properly, they gave up on it and traded me. Hockey is a big business and we can't influence that. Now I have to pack up some stuff, sell my house in the US and look for new place to live in Canada." the younger of Visnovsky brothers admits the uncomfortable discovery.

Despite a bitter ending, he'll have nice memories of his stay in LA. In first two seasons, his team made the playoffs and he loves to remember especially the first one. "We eliminated Detroit, which sought to retain the Cup, in first round and then lost in game 7 against Colorado, which ended up winning it all. All put together, it's been seven beautiful years of life there and I got accustomed to it. I have friends there and considered staying there to live there. Now I have to start again and it'll be something new for me. Edmonton may be a hockey town, but not so good for living. For family, which I'm starting to plan, it'd be much simpler in LA. Hockey-wise, though, Edmonton will be more suitable." reveals fresh medailist from inline hockey world championships in Bratislava.

Visnovsky still didn't comprehend, why the Kings management decided to act so. Before the press conference, the club didn't even contact him. "They talked only with the agent. They said, that I'm too expensive player for them. The owner supposedly decided, that he won't pay so much to just one player. That was a surprise to me. If he told me that a year ago, I'd play through this season and be a free agent now. But no, they offered me a decent contract, which I signed, and now they said it's too much money and that they want two players for it. It's quite weird, they didn't keep the promise we made." said the triple Slovakia champion in jersey of Slovan Bratislava.

The defenseman, known for his accurate shot and offensive tastes still doesn't know, when he'll head overseas. Either he goes to LA to pack up and sell house right before the camp begins, or he goes to Edmonton as soon as 26th July. GM Kevin Lowe has invited him for a car race. During that race, he could meet the management, the owner and also check out summer in the city, which he only saw in winter before.

McGhostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Bryanbryoil

Visnovsky for Cole???

In essence, Stoll + Greene for Cole

That would be a helluva deal.

It will be interesting how things play out.

06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Soundwave

I'm not really worried about Visnovsky, but I am worried about his family/wife.

It sounds like they were given assurances that he wouldn't be traded and essentially would be an LA King for life, going from LA to Edmonton, especially once the winter sets in might be a bit of a shock to the family.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
hfboardsuser

He said about I what expected. I don't blame him for thinking Edmonton's not a place to live, because that's something players don't find out until they get here. I think what matters the most is:

"I still have a five-year contract to fulfill, which I hope won't be the last one, and I'm there to play hockey and not to pick cities, where it's warmer."

It's also interesting that he mentions the team's intent to 'sign' a top-six forward.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:27 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles1311 View Post
The defenseman, known for his accurate shot and offensive tastes still doesn't know, when he'll head overseas. Either he goes to LA to pack up and sell house right before the camp begins, or he goes to Edmonton as soon as 26th July. GM Kevin Lowe has invited him for a car race. During that race, he could meet the management, the owner and also check out summer in the city, which he only saw in winter before.
Thanks for the article. I don't get any bad vibes from this, even though he wouldn't have considered Edmonton if given the choice. I liked that he recognized that the hockey season is about playing hockey. I also liked that he doesn't regard his 5 year deal as his last contract. I think he'll grow to love us....(and us him).

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Soundwave

I think he'll probably just buy a new house in Edmonton but keep the one he has in L.A. also.

Souray's family lives down in L.A. too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote