HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you think Visnovksy will fit in with Edmonton?

Old
06-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

vCash: 500
Don't think it's much to worry about, the tone of the interview was that he was very upset with how the LA kings circumvented the NMC and basicly backed out on both written and verbal agreements.

He comes off as upset and emotional and his comments reflect his lack knowledge about the city. 2 trips a year in the middle of winter to a run down part of any city isn't going to leave much of a positive impression.

Meeting with the Oilers management and Katz(who seems to impress everyone with his passion and drive) at the Indy will probably help calm a lot of his fears.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Alex87

Thanks for that article. There are a couple things to point out:

For all the people who will interpret that as "He doesn't want to live in Edmonton" the real city getting put down is LA. It seems like Visnovsky is just straight up angry because he feels the Kings were dishonest. He actually had nice things to say about the Oilers in there.

Also he said there were 6 teams he agreed to be moved to- that means there are 24 teams he didn't want to go to, not just Edmonton. He probably picked teams like Detroit, New York, Pittsburgh, etc... real contenders. I doubt that the Panthers would have been on his radar, for example. It has nothing to do with Edmonton but almost certainly wanting to play for a contender.

Next, even Roloson didn't want to play in Edmonton at first. But when he got here he saw how great it was for his family. Visnovsky said LA was better for his family- maybe it was in the sense that rich kids do pretty well in southern California. But I think once he gets here he will change his outlook on the city. For all the negative things said about Edmonton, you can't say argue it's a bad place to raise a family.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Lowetide

When you talk to people shortly after they've been lied to, the pollitcally correct words often don't come easily. Based on what we've read about him this guy is a class act and will become a fan favorite.

It sucks the Kings dealt him on the eve of his clause kicking in, but it is good news for Edmonton. Good player, good trade.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Teamcanada

I think the key to the entire article is this:
"I hope, that it'll be better hockey-wise. Edmonton is a hockey town and GM Kevin Lowe called me, that they'd like to aim for higher spots. He didn't talk directly about the Stanley Cup, but they surely want at least into the playoffs. Even that's a big challenge for me, because I didn't play in playoffs for five years"

I like that he wants to just play hockey and not really worry about the stuff. The Oil could reassure Lubomir by excercising their right to honor the NTC for him as well.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Asher

RE: The translated interview

For someone who played his entire NHL career with one team, then signed a long term contract with a NTC, I'd say Lubo is taking it very well. You can't blame the guy for being shocked/dismayed at how things worked out with LA. As for his opinion of Edmonton, I see nothing in those quotes that raises a red flag. It will take some time for adjustment, but I think he'll be fine.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Spawn

I'm not surprised nor very concerned about his comments. I don't blame the guy for having reservations about Edmonton. I know that once he gets here the Oilers will do everything they can to make him and his family as comfortable as possible. I hope and think he'll change his tune once he spends some time here.

Boy oh boy is he pissed at the kings though.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Luongo4VP

I think he will not be overly interested in living here.

But having a Cap hit of 5.6 Million is good money, not to mention that Katz is a very likeable person so he will be ensured that Management won't decieve him like LA did.

I think he is more concentrated on hockey, good city or bad city.

And now I FINALLY understand why Calgary doesn't get the shaft like Edmonton does, they have a arena in the heart of downtown, once Katz does that I expect things to improve.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:42 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post

But having a Cap hit of 5.6 Million is good money, not to mention that Katz is a very likeable person so he will be ensured that Management won't decieve him like LA did.

And now I FINALLY understand why Calgary doesn't get the shaft like Edmonton does, they have a arena in the heart of downtown, once Katz does that I expect things to improve.
Calgary gets shinooks

edmonton get very few

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Matador

I got the impression that Visnovsky is here to win. After reading that translation I feel like he is going to be extremely motivated and hard working next season.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Full translation of the article:

Aside from change of team, he also has to deal with a major move. He'll have to change the summer clothing, which he wore in the 'city of angels', for warm clothes, he also needs to sell the house in LA and buy a new one in canadian Edmonton. "I hope, that it'll be better hockey-wise. Edmonton is a hockey town and GM Kevin Lowe called me, that they'd like to aim for higher spots. He didn't talk directly about the Stanley Cup, but they surely want at least into the playoffs. Even that's a big challenge for me, because I didn't play in playoffs for five years. I know that they would also like to sign one older, experienced forward, to be the offensive leader. We could put a good team together.

As for weather, it's great when I can go on the beach after training and the sun is shining. But hockey life is about something else. I'm deeply wounded by how they acted. For my family, girlfriend, it's even much more harder. I have to say she's been brave about it, she even cheered me up instead of the other way around. She was very strong. I still have a five-year contract to fulfill, which I hope won't be the last one, and I'm there to play hockey and not to pick cities, where it's warmer. I just hope we'll be much better than LA and that we always beat them when we square off with them." states the best player of slovak national team on recent world championships in Canada.

Despite a bitter ending, he'll have nice memories of his stay in LA. In first two seasons, his team made the playoffs and he loves to remember especially the first one. "We eliminated Detroit, which sought to retain the Cup, in first round and then lost in game 7 against Colorado, which ended up winning it all. All put together, it's been seven beautiful years of life there and I got accustomed to it. I have friends there and considered staying there to live there. Now I have to start again and it'll be something new for me. Edmonton may be a hockey town, but not so good for living. For family, which I'm starting to plan, it'd be much simpler in LA. Hockey-wise, though, Edmonton will be more suitable." reveals fresh medailist from inline hockey world championships in Bratislava.
Some good comments there. I wonder if the bit about the Oilers wanting to sign a veteran forward to be the offensive leader is his speculation, or if it's something Lowe told him when they talked?

It sounds like does not have a family yet, is just starting to plan one with his girlfriend. Edmonton can't compete with LA in what it has to offer for a young single millionaire, but I don't think Edmonton's such a bad place to raise a family.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:

EDM gets the "shaft" instead of Calgary because of what happened with Pronger. There is no other reason. Players like Hamrlik can sign elsewhere, Giordano can bolt for Russia, and nobody raises a negative eyebrow towards the Flames. But whenever a player leaves the Oilers it's supposedly because they can't stand the city, even when they say otherwise.

Old
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Kamus

I still have a five-year contract to fulfill, which I hope won't be the last one, and I'm there to play hockey and not to pick cities, where it's warmer. I just hope we'll be much better than LA and that we always beat them when we square off with them." states the best player of slovak national team on recent world championships in Canada

That's all I have to hear. Lubomir sounds like he's a true professional and he knows his job is to play hockey for the Edmonton Oilers.

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Peak Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Some good comments there. I wonder if the bit about the Oilers wanting to sign a veteran forward to be the offensive leader is his speculation, or if it's something Lowe told him when they talked?

It sounds like does not have a family yet, is just starting to plan one with his girlfriend. Edmonton can't compete with LA in what it has to offer for a young single millionaire, but I don't think Edmonton's such a bad place to raise a family.
Oh, he probably just read it on HF boards.

Peak Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I think he'll find Edmonton a better place to live than he thinks it will be.

I appreciate his honesty, and really I don't see it as a huge hatred for coming to Edmonton, more of a disappointment on leaving LA.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Soundwave

+1 that he's not even married from the sounds of it. Has a girlfriend though.

That interview soothed a lot of my fears. He said a lot of things I wanted to hear.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:50 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Calgary gets shinooks

edmonton get very few
Calgary gets freak snowstorms in May. Edmonton gets very few. :p Calgary's altitude puts them line for all kinds of weather surprises, and most of them aren't actually very good.

Calgary does have a few advantages over Edmonton: proximity to prime skiing locations, better air travel connections, more chi-chi-frou-frou type places for rich people to spend their money.

Frankly, I'd rather *not* have players skiing during the hockey season, but that's just me.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:52 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post

I'd take it that Lowe told him what his plans are so we should likely see another trade shortly.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
SerbianEagle

nothing like misinformation.

there is nothing in that article that says he doesn't want to play in edmonton, on the contrary he sees a hockey challenge.

any one of us here would be pissed if we were in his shoes due to how LA handled the situation.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agent Zero

As fans, I say we swarm the airport the day he arrives and start chanting his name like he's the saviour! Nothing beats a warm welcome.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

There seems to a be transition period for players coming to the Oilers. It usually takes a year for Edmonton to get players to "bleed copper and blue". I'm thinking Penner is on the verge of buying into it as well as Souray. Perhaps Pitkanen might too, but I'm thinking Pitkanen is on the fence. I'm thinking it will take some hard selling to convince Visnovsky of that. It sounds like he was caught by surprise. It also sounds like it will take awhile for that to mend.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Agent Zero

He just needs to see footage of the city during 05/06 playoff run and I think he'll be happy to be here.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
There seems to a be transition period for players coming to the Oilers. It usually takes a year for Edmonton to get players to "bleed copper and blue". I'm thinking Penner is on the verge of buying into it as well as Souray. Perhaps Pitkanen might too, but I'm thinking Pitkanen is on the fence. I'm thinking it will take some hard selling to convince Visnovsky of that. It sounds like he was caught by surprise. It also sounds like it will take awhile for that to mend.
I don't believe Pitkanen has the personality to be true-blue about anything. I know that in the interview he had with MacT and Lowe at the end of the season, one of the things MacT told Pitkanen was that he had a choice to make: either be the kind of player that finds a home by staying with one team for several years or be the kind of player that bounces all around the league, never really fitting in anywhere. We'll see which kind of player he ends up being - my guess is #2.

Old
06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
As fans, I say we swarm the airport the day he arrives and start chanting his name like he's the saviour! Nothing beats a warm welcome.
Do that Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get every Oiler Fan in the city that you personally know and go to the airport that day.

Didn't we do the same with Pronger?

Visnovsky needs to know that he will be loved in Edmonton.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
If you want to waste your time, knock yourself right out.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Agent Zero

Quote:
Do that Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get every Oiler Fan in the city that you personally know and go to the airport that day.

Didn't we do the same with Pronger?

Visnovsky needs to know that he will be loved in Edmonton.
They introduced Pronger and Peca at Churchill square, something like that might be better.