HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you think Visnovksy will fit in with Edmonton?

Old
06-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
I'm not really concerned about the players.

The only players that didn't like playing here were
Arnott and Lupul from the sounds of it, and that was because of local pressure/running around with a bad crowd.

Weight, Guerin, etc. still rave about the city, Nedved has said he didn't want to leave, Pronger has said he didn't want to be traded. Peca was hoping to be resigned.

It's the higher maintenance hockey wives that have been a thorn in our side the last few years, but it sounds like Visnovsky's girlfriend is cool with it.

Once Visnovsky experiences the hockey atmosphere, especially come playoff time, in Edmonton he will be hooked.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Moo

Thanks for the translation, bubbles1311.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles1311 View Post
"Edmonton may be a hockey town, but not so good for living. For family, which I'm starting to plan, it'd be much simpler in LA."
I'd think it's easier to raise a family in Edmonton than LA, but what do I know.

Attention Kevin Lowe et al. at the Oilers: this is your chance to wow a new player (just pretend he's a UFA) with your player concierge and whatever else you have up your sleeve to make him feel welcome, and to help him and his family get settled. Because the quicker that happens, the quicker he gets to 100% on the ice.

I hope they have a bunch of Oilers & wives/girlfriends there to meet him and his girlfriend, if not at the airport, at some kind of "welcome" thing immediately after. First impressions right now are so crucial, considering the (mis-)conceptions about Edmonton being circulated by some members of the media in North America.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:21 PM
RabidPitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
Get every Oiler Fan in the city that you personally know and go to the airport that day.

Visnovsky needs to know that he will be loved in Edmonton.
You know for someone used to the anonymity of playing in LA you might freak him out more than making him feel welcome.

RabidPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:26 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
"I still have a five-year contract to fulfill, which I hope won't be the last one, and I'm there to play hockey and not to pick cities, where it's warmer."
We should probably bring him over for a tour, pronto.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

It doesn't look to be a great lifestyle fit, and unfortunately that's a consideration for the "modern" athlete. Hopefully he's a professional about it.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
If you want to waste your time, knock yourself right out.

Like when you try to convince Oiler fans that they don't want a new arena?

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
totally irrelevant...

But is that Ales Hemsky in your avatar?

If it is I feel like the biggest idiot for asking

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
emagdnim

dudes, Lubo got COMPLETELY worked by the LA kings management/ownership!

emagdnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
It doesn't look to be a great lifestyle fit, and unfortunately that's a consideration for the "modern" athlete. Hopefully he's a professional about it.
Yes, it would likely be better for all involved if the NHL was contracted to only contain teams in California, Florida, New York, and Toronto.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
emagdnim

Quote:
totally irrelevant...

But is that Ales Hemsky in your avatar?

If it is I feel like the biggest idiot for asking

haha, yah...that's Hemmer!

emagdnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
mic

A bit off topic but I've lived in Calgary for 4 years and the winters are probably the mildest in Canada outside of BC. The chinooks are incredible as it's nice to have a couple of days in February at +15C. As a result the snow doesn't last as long.

The city has more trendy areas than Edmonton and isn't as blue collar, something you notice after living in Montreal and Ontario or especially LA. But I still love the Oilers regardless of disliking the Albertan cities.

Albeit Edmonton is more progressive and has a better art scene than Calgary, outside of theatre, along with better festivals. It's nice to live there during the summer but usually drab and boring during the miserable winters. The summer and autumn seasons are ridiculously short in comparison to almost anywhere else in the world.

Visnovsky will be pleasantly surprised with the development of the unknown kids and I hope we can land an elite vet like the article mentions. It will be easier to do so with our defensive corps we know sport.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Just take him for a tour on the southside, show him around Riverbend and the river valley, and he'll stay.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I've been a Visnovsky fan for a long time, tend to have him in my fantasy leagues for some reason as well.

I think that you guys will be very pleasantly surprised with this player. For the last 5 seasons he has been a real leader in L.A. Some seasons, they had almost no one at forward to do the scoring and Visnovsky would take it upon himself to carry the puck end to end and make a play. Even last season, when L.A. just could not sustain an attack at times, Visnovsky was there to make plays happen all by himself. He is a very responsible and tough player, despite his lack of size.

You can also hear the loyalty in what he said. He is mad at LA because they promised him that he could stay in LA forever and that would have allowed him to raise a family there. He tried to return their promise of loyalty by playing his heart out every game and being loyal in return. He is mad because LA broke that committment that the 2 sides agreed on, and he has EVERY right to be mad. Often times players go through this **** and don't want to say anything bad about the franchise trading them...but its good to see a player for a change being Honest.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frag2

my feelings right now....

****! ****! crap!
guess the first 2

i seriously hope katz makes this work out though

the nhl is now full of primadonnas and roberto luongos: a bunch of idiots who dont honor their contracts and just whine their way out of it.
thanks a lot fcp.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Just take him for a tour on the southside, show him around Riverbend and the river valley, and he'll stay.
Give him a tour of 118 ave and then let him stay at the fine establishment known as the Cromdale, then we'll see where he stands.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Excellent reading comprehension skills

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Give him a tour of 118 ave and then let him stay at the fine establishment known as the Cromdale, then we'll see where he stands.
why be so pessimistic?

Seriously you're speaking as if Los Angeles doesn't have run-down places, newsflash buddy they have so many more filthy neighborhoods then we do.

You think that players that come to the Nux don't know about East Van and Hastings? Its a part of every city man we have to live with it.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
why be so pessimistic?

Seriously you're speaking as if Los Angeles doesn't have run-down places, newsflash buddy they have so many more filthy neighborhoods then we do.

You think that players that come to the Nux don't know about East Van and Hastings? Its a part of every city man we have to live with it.
I'm not being pessimistic. just more tongue in cheek. Every city has their slums.

The Oilers need to do their due diligence, make Visnovsky feel welcome and let him know that he is going to be a big part of our team next year.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Good point! LA never had anything like that.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Alex87

Quote:
LA has slums and ghettos that would make anything in Edmonton look like a gated community in Anaheim.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
LA has slums and ghettos that would make anything in Edmonton look like a gated community in Anaheim.
True, but do players have to drive thru those areas to get from the airport to their hotel and then to the arena? They do in Edmonton so that's what a lot of players see and to them that's what they think Edmonton is like.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

The key for Lubo is to make sure his heart and his head will be in the right place. Try to get him acclomated with as many Oiler players as possible because he has world class talent, the key is to keep him hungry and motivated. Make him feel like he is apart of the team ASAP.

Old
06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
The key for Lubo is to make sure his heart and his head will be in the right place. Try to get him acclomated with as many Oiler players as possible because he has world class talent, the key is to keep him hungry and motivated. Make him feel like he is apart of the team ASAP.
yup thats y Lowe invited him for a car race.... nothing brings a team closer then a car race.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scurlock View Post
True, but do players have to drive thru those areas to get from the airport to their hotel and then to the arena? They do in Edmonton so that's what a lot of players see and to them that's what they think Edmonton is like.
Actually they don't in Edmonton. Most of them likely come along Wayne Gretzky drive and pull into the parking lot on the East of Rexall. I very much doubt many drive too far along 118th, which in itself, though not being the most shining light street in the city, has a long way to go before being completely horrible.

Meanwhile Staples is in the middle of the concrete jungle downtown, next to the Conference Centre. It is busy during the day and has some nice hotels around the area, but not many of them recommend you go outside walking when it is dark.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
yup thats y Lowe invited him for a car race.... nothing brings a team closer then a car race.
Yeah, its gotta be tough for Visnovsky, he literally had the rug pulled out from under him. He was 2 days away from being a lifetime king.

I would imagine Greene probably feels the same on a smaller scale. I don't think he thought he was moving out.

Stoll knew the writing was on the wall for him.