HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you think Visnovksy will fit in with Edmonton?

Old
06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
RabidPitbull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
Hahaha...you think Lubo is pissed!

Matt Greene, Jarret Stoll, and Raffi Torres all started a Facebook group call "Kevin Lowe is an Idiot"

Im kinda wondering why Raffi is one of the admins to that group?
Those accounts have be debunks by Matt Greene.

RabidPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Oilersarethebest

Quote:

Matt Greene, Jarret Stoll, and Raffi Torres all started a Facebook group call "Kevin Lowe is an Idiot"

What?? Seriously.. Link?

Oilersarethebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

It has been stated many times that those are fake face book profiles. Apparently last year in a radio interview they asked Greene about it, he laughed and said it was fake and he never had face book and does not plan to get it either.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
dantencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yos View Post
hey guys,

I just read original article interviewing Lubo (I am slovak) and I can say there's no negative words about Edmonton at all.
Lubo got message from Kings GM (through his agent) two weeks ago about intention of trading him and he also got 6 possible destinations. He agreed and was expecting this to happen' after july 1. But it did happend different way so he is mad.
Anyway LA management decided to use last chance to move him without his agreement
Nobody likes to be controled by someone else, even for big money and then right after that they (journalist) ask you how you feel about it.
And that speculation about selling flat and buying new one and more is all journalist mumbling about Lubo's situation.
Looks like I will start following Oilers closer in following seasons

By the way Lubo just did participate on Inline hockey World Championship running here in Slovakia and did get (historical=best so far) silver medal with Slovak team and he is becoming synonym for all slovakian "any" hockey success for slovak team.
Yeah, that's about the long and short of it. Edmonton media just talked to Lubo on a conference call and there's no question that he's pretty angry with Dean Lombardi. Talked about being disappointed because Dean had given him his word. Says Lombardi agreed to work off of a list of teams that Visnovsky and his agent had provided (6 teams) and Edmonton wasn't on the list. Nobody from LA has even called him. Lombardi had always told him that LA would be his home...and he feels that this was pretty underhanded.

That said, he's excited to play in Canada and desperately wants to make the playoffs. His fiancee is pregnant and will move with him in September. In his words, "if I'm happy, she's happy". He made no bones about the fact that life off the ice will be different, but he's very excited about how much better his hockey life will be.

Lots of info on the trade here: http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/ind...2&showentry=11

dantencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
emagdnim

Quote:
I actually know for a fact that they are
Greener said on Oilers Live that he didn't have a facebook account. I think one of the questions asked during that specific Q&A was "why didn't you accept my friend request?" and Matt was like "uhh..." haha

emagdnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Hahaha, ya keep dreaming. They have better **** to do than discuss their private lives on facebook.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tencer
After putting up respective point totals of 67 and 58 in 05/06 and 06/07, Visnovsky's numbers declined a bit last year as he registered just 41 points. Pretty good by average standards, but not up to par for a guy who will make $7 million this season. Visnovsky says there's a simple reason why his numbers went down: Marc Crawford, the head coach, made him play the left side instead of the right for the first time in his career. He's emphatic that he wants to play the right side in Edmonton. "It's everything for my one-timer. My strong side is the right side. I hope the coach gives me the right side on the powerplay because I'm stronger there," Visnovsky says.
Hrmm, maybe the top powerplay unit of Souray-Visnovsky isn't as ideal as everyone is hoping. Take a look at this video and pay close attention to which side Souray scores most of his goals from on the PP:

06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
RabidPitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantencer View Post
That said, he's excited to play in Canada and desperately wants to make the playoffs. His fiancee is pregnant and will move with him in September. In his words, "if I'm happy, she's happy". He made no bones about the fact that life off the ice will be different, but he's very excited about how much better his hockey life will be.

Lots of info on the trade here: http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/ind...2&showentry=11
I think having a former team mate in Matty Garon will help his transition a bit.

Happy to see that his significant other is supportive of his career.

This animosity towards Lombardi could be a bonus for us and Lubo may feel like he has something to prove.

Welcome to Oil Country!!!!

Old
06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
GSC

let Lubo play on the right side and force Souray to play left, if they're paired together on the PP. Lubo has better numbers than Sheldon as it is, so obviously I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in choosing what point to play.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantencer View Post
Yeah, that's about the long and short of it. Edmonton media just talked to Lubo on a conference call and there's no question that he's pretty angry with Dean Lombardi. Talked about being disappointed because Dean had given him his word. Says Lombardi agreed to work off of a list of teams that Visnovsky and his agent had provided (6 teams) and Edmonton wasn't on the list. Nobody from LA has even called him. Lombardi had always told him that LA would be his home...and he feels that this was pretty underhanded.

Thank you for that Dan.

He wants to play the right side on the PP. So does Souray. I doubt Souray can get his shot nearly as well from the left side.

Old
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
RabidPitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowCrowe View Post
let Lubo play on the right side and force Souray to play left, if they're paired together on the PP. Lubo has better numbers than Sheldon as it is, so obviously I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in choosing what point to play.
There's no reason that one of them couldn't play on the second unit....

I like these blurbs from Tencer's blog:

Quote:
"But, don't misinterpret his frustration or disappointment. He's clearly upset at the way he was treated in the end by the management in Los Angeles, but that doesn't mean he's angry about having to come play in Edmonton. "I'm very happy because I get to play for a Canadian team," he said. "Hockey is Canada's #1 sport, same with my country in Slovakia. I love countries that love hockey. The team has big history and 5 Stanley Cups and great fans. In LA, nobody loves hockey. They just love movie stars and basketball."

"I didn't expect the trade, but now I'm focused on the new team and want to be in the playoffs and I hope Edmonton will be there."

"I'm a stay at home defenseman," said Greene. "I'm physical, I hit...and I stay at home. Until I got traded. I hope I can get a house or an apartment or something there."

Old
06-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Speedyturtle

I really hope Katz steps in and eases Visnovsky's concerns about the city. This is where having a billionaire as an owner can have its advantages.

Speedyturtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowCrowe View Post
I don;t tihnk that will be an issue for Lubo. Souray won't register enough games to determine what side to play him on.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
With respect to the NMC, I've seen some posts suggesting that it has been voided somehow because of the trade, which is an interpretation that I'm dubious of. If someone can provide a CBA cite to back up that the NMC has been voided, I'd appreciate it.
Try 11.8(a)?

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Post View Post
Try 11.8(a)?
Much appreciated. Seems pretty clear that the Oilers can now trade Vish to whomever they want unless they choose extend the NMC (for reasons unknown - to be really nice guys perhaps). Neato.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Gagner Penner

Hemsky Visnovsky

Souray

Visnovsky has pretty much the whole right side to himself

The one timer feeds ideally would be coming from Hemsky or Gagner.

Souray can score from anywhere on the ice.

Visnovsky on the right side is a better fit because of his speed and his ability to beat his forward to the net. Whoever is covering Visnovsky is going absolutely have his head on a swivvle.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Actually they don't in Edmonton. Most of them likely come along Wayne Gretzky drive and pull into the parking lot on the East of Rexall. I very much doubt many drive too far along 118th, which in itself, though not being the most shining light street in the city, has a long way to go before being completely horrible.

Meanwhile Staples is in the middle of the concrete jungle downtown, next to the Conference Centre. It is busy during the day and has some nice hotels around the area, but not many of them recommend you go outside walking when it is dark.
I've lived in LA for 2 years. Staples nice for a 1 block radius, then deteriorates into some of the worst ghetto slums you'll ever see. WAY WAY worse than anything in Edmonton. Before I'd moved to LA, I'd never seen a bloodied tranny prostitute standing on a corner with stab scars in her neck begging for change, on a street littered with dirty needles, and used condoms.

.. but back on point..

Visnovski is going to absolutely LOVE Edmonton. When he's as talented as he is, he's going to be a rockstar. There's really only 5 other cities in the league that can compare, and they're all North of the border.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Hyped

Quote:
"Is that a fact?"

"Yup, that's a fact."

Time to get your facts straight; those aren't really the hockey players behind the names on Facebook. I actually know for a fact they aren't...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
I think some of his comments are being lost in translation - and he still seemed in shock about how the Kings treated him.

I think he'll fit in fine, and I really liked his comments about WANTING to make the playoffs.

This team is better already. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I've lived in LA for 2 years. Staples nice for a 1 block radius, then deteriorates into some of the worst ghetto slums you'll ever see. WAY WAY worse than anything in Edmonton. Before I'd moved to LA, I'd never seen a bloodied tranny prostitute standing on a corner with stab scars in her neck begging for change, on a street littered with dirty needles, and used condoms.

.. but back on point..

Visnovski is going to absolutely LOVE Edmonton. When he's as talented as he is, he's going to be a rockstar. There's really only 5 other cities in the league that can compare, and they're all North of the border.
Perfect Post

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
I think some of his comments are being lost in translation - and he still seemed in shock about how the Kings treated him.
Yeah it sounds like it was a couple of hours after he just found out about the whole thing.

Edit - Just listened to the conference call with Lubo he sounds pretty happy over all about the whole thing. He is just a little in shock with how LA handled things. He said hockey is everything and is very special for him and that is the most important thing. He said he is happy to be going to Edmonton and he said Paul Coffey was his fave player when he was young.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 06-30-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old
06-30-2008, 06:46 PM
scout1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I've lived in LA for 2 years. Staples nice for a 1 block radius, then deteriorates into some of the worst ghetto slums you'll ever see. WAY WAY worse than anything in Edmonton. Before I'd moved to LA, I'd never seen a bloodied tranny prostitute standing on a corner with stab scars in his neck begging for change, on a street littered with dirty needles, and used condoms.

.. but back on point..

Fixed.

scout1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
"Is that a fact?"

"Yup, that's a fact."

Time to get your facts straight; those aren't really the hockey players behind the names on Facebook. I actually know for a fact they aren't...
Actually a ton of ex-NCAA players have Facebook, as well as many recent draftees from everywhere. I believe it is on the Tsn player draft profiles where it asks for the draftees favorite website and I would say a good 30-40% said Facebook. The likelihood of being added back however, is not very great. Biggest thing to look for is pictures out of uniform that would be unlikely for common fans to have and aren't on google image, lol.

As for how Visnovsky will fit in Edmonton, I believe he will see that Edmonton is a pretty decent place to live, if he is looking to start a family it is definitely safer. The rockstar treatment is the only thing that worries me... some players like being in markets where they can go to the bar without being mugged for autographs. He seems to love that Edmonton is a hockey town though so I don't think that is too much to worry about.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
philthy mcnasty*

I love that we acquired this guy, but it's bittersweet because this means he comes in at someone else's expense, and from the sounds of it that player is going to be Joni Pitkanen. And it's almost completely because of the ludicrous deal that Lowe handed out to SS. Despite a lackluster season from him last year, he's still Edmonton best and most skilled defenseman besides a guy like Tom Gilbert.

Bringing in Lubo makes the Souray contract look all the more awful and completely pointless.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Rin

Lubo played with Garon in LA, so if he has any concerns about raising a family here I'm sure he can talk to Garon about it. Garon's wife had a baby during their year here and Garon and his wife both had nothing but great things to say about the Oilers and the help they received. That seems to be Lubo's biggest fear right now, so hopefully Garon can help with that. Or even Roloson, he has also said nothing but great things about the school system here and raising children.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote