HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Souray

Old
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
ZugNugget

vCash: 500
He loves playing here, but if he ends up leaving, it will have been MacT that drove him out of here. Trust me on this.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
PaperDesigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
whats with all the Souray bashing?

Did you people forget that he was actually very good when healthy last season and well worth the contract.
If you could give me a guarantee that Souray would play at least seventy games for each of the four remaining years in his contract, I wouldn't mind his cap hit. But the guy is just... due for injuries. I trade him for whatever I can get, because honestly, if I'm going to have a highly paid but injury prone offensive defenceman, I'd much rather have Pitkanen.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
PaperDesigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
He loves playing here, but if he ends up leaving, it will have been MacT that drove him out of here. Trust me on this.
If that happens, good on MacTavish for helping our salary cap situation.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Jarri17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
If that happens, good on MacTavish for helping our salary cap situation.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the cap hit of seriously injured players (on injured reserve) essentially goes into a pool that allows a team to spend over the cap by the amount the player missed?
So if Souray misses half the year, the Oilers can spend half of his cap hit ($2.7 mil) over the salary cap ?

Jarri17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
If you could give me a guarantee that Souray would play at least seventy games for each of the four remaining years in his contract, I wouldn't mind his cap hit. But the guy is just... due for injuries. I trade him for whatever I can get, because honestly, if I'm going to have a highly paid but injury prone offensive defenceman, I'd much rather have Pitkanen.
Souray has had some bad years for injuries but don't forget the guy just played and 81 game season the year before, and before that the guy put up 75. He is injury prone, but that's what you get when you have a monster on the back end who plays as physical as Souray does. Personally I love Pitkanen, but if I were in a position where I had to watch one leave I would rather lose Pitkanen. Joni is injury prone but also lacks defensive motivation. All in all lets just keep both on the team and have one of the best defenses in the league.

Souray - Visnovsky
Gilbert - Pitkanen
Staios - Smid

That seems to make me pretty happy just looking at it. I would also say lets spend some money to get another forward and make this team extremely dangerous, but you have to remember we have some kids who are going to earn some big contracts in the future.

Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Yeah, that would be an absolute dream. That said, I just can't see it happening.
Same here. He wanted a no-trade clause for a reason, he wants to play in Edmonton and having this much firepower on the backend makes his health that much more essential.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Hemsky4PM

This thread is predicated on the notion that Souray WANTS to leave. It has nothing to do with running him out of town.

The question is who would be willing to take on his contract and where would he be willing to go?

San Jose perhaps if they lose Campbell? Maybe the Rags if Roszival bolts? Who knows.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
whats with all the Souray bashing

***snip***

and well worth the contract.
He was almost on pace to equal his -28 of the prior season but he wasn't quite headed for 26 goals. More like 10.

Not a lot of guys get paid $6M + to score ten goals and be a -20, even Hemsky only gets $4M.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
He was almost on pace to equal his -28 of the prior season but he wasn't quite headed for 26 goals. More like 10.

Not a lot of guys get paid $6M + to score ten goals and be a -20, even Hemsky only gets $4M.
Well this entire statement is BS. First of all you cant clip a few games with a new team and predict the entire season, did you even watch the oilers come together last year?

I can cherry pick data at will and make any player look bad, especially a guy on a new team with 11 new players and 5 rookies.
I give your post 2 thumbs down.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Lowe I Trust View Post
Well this entire statement is BS. First of all you cant clip a few games with a new team and predict the entire season, did you even watch the oilers come together last year?
You still have to admit that the poster I quoted can't say that he was worth the ****loads of money he was paid to suck for those "few games". Nah nah na boo boo.

Quote:
I can cherry pick data at will and make any player look bad, especially a guy on a new team with 11 new players and 5 rookies.
I didn't exactly cherry pick did I? I included every game he played here.
Quote:
I give your post 2 thumbs down.

Old
06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

I didn't exactly cherry pick did I? I included every game he played here.
Well, at best you are not being fair, comparatively and not having any consistent time to gel, he did alright.
I am just saying we dont know what he is worth as he hasnt played enough to tell, in THIS NHL he is worth what he is getting paid based on the year before....IMHO.

I do agree he has a lot to prove, but as a good Dman that want to play in Edm, he has my vote to stay. Also come ONNNN, how are we not going to have a kick arse PP, especially if we keep piks or trade him for a good forward.

BTW, I think the smelly thumbs was much funnier then the :SAD:....lol.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
philthy mcnasty*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
I would frigging love that. Visnovsky has a good slapper from the point anyways, and we would have a detroit-like D corps.

Visnovsky-Pitkanen
Gilbert-Grebeshkov
Staios-Smid

It's too bad Bobbie Mac said that Pitkanen WILL be traded.
I know on paper (and in reality) that D-Core is SOFT, albeit extremely skilled and very mobile. Point producing heaven which I think would be able to overcome the extreme physical aspects typically expected of their position. That probably top 5 skilled D-Core in the entire league.

That is my ideal core, young, fast, skilled, hockey smarts, just all around intelligence with a decent amount of size. Lacking physicality and true veteran leadership though.

Last edited by philthy mcnasty*: 06-30-2008 at 07:59 PM.
philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Lowe I Trust View Post
Well, at best you are not being fair, comparatively and not having any consistent time to gel, he did alright.
I am just saying we dont know what he is worth as he hasnt played enough to tell, in THIS NHL he is worth what he is getting paid based on the year before....IMHO.

I do agree he has a lot to prove, but as a good Dman that want to play in Edm, he has my vote to stay. Also come ONNNN, how are we not going to have a kick arse PP, especially if we keep piks or trade him for a good forward.

BTW, I think the smelly thumbs was much funnier then the :SAD:....lol.
Yeah I liked it but I didn't want to get the points on my account.

Souray could be very good, I'd be stoked to see him smoke about 20 in there next season. Thing is that right now his 26 goal season isn't too far removed from the minds of other gm's and we could still get something for him. If he has another bad season that's one big smelly contract we're stuck with. Buying him out will put Katz in the the poorhouse.

Old
07-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I'm confused why we would want Souray out.

Like Ali mentioned, he's a good player. he offers more than his booming shot from the point , and he actually WANTED to play in Edmonton. WE shouldn't trade him, and we won't trade him. Its simple as that.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Heist

Keeping Pitkanen and getting rid of Souray would be a dream but I don't see it happening.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:56 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

I heard Visnovski name one player he's looking forward to play with in his interview, and it wasn't his friends Garon or Hemsky, it was Souray. I'll take his opinion over any of yours, he knows what he's talking about and didn't come out as saying "the right thing to say" at all during that interview, just plain blunt honesty was how it sounded from start to finish.

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Did you people forget that he was actually very good when healthy last season and well worth the contract.
Me thinks they did.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:28 AM
HabsDood

I really liked Souray in Montreal and i'd take him back in a snap, we don't need him but I mist his personality!

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote