HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Trade for the Flyers? JR

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 12:33 PM
jplush76

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
Big Trade for the Flyers? JR

Trade Deadline is coming up and JR is considering retiremeint being this is 9th concussion and his dad say's its a pretty bad one. I personally wouldn't be comfortable going into the playoffs minus someone like JR and not replacing him with something decent for a good run.

We all know JR has the heart to come back but facts are facts and its his 9th, thats worse than Lindros. Who would be available before the deadline and who would you want to part with to get them?

Old
02-15-2004, 12:38 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
If Clarke goes after another 30+ year old to replace JR with, I will officially be fully anti-Clarke and hope the Flyers replace him immediately for diluting the team with mediocre veterans.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:45 PM
jplush76

well what do you want him to do????
go in the playoffs minus your 2nd leading scorer? 30 years old is prime for hockey. They either need JR or someone to come in and replace him. Lang perhaps.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:47 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

I want him to go after someone that will actually be useful for the long run and isn't at the tail end of their career.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:49 PM
jplush76

the problem with that is it's not the offseason, a player has to be traded at this point. There are only a handful of decent players that teams will be willing to part with. Basically teams out of the playoffs. It will cost us something no doubt about it.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Rex88

Too bad Nedved is on the Rags as I actually think he would be OK in our system. We would have to give up the farm to get him from the Rags. I can see Zhamnov but I don't like him. I wonder if Steve Rucchin would be a possibility and what it would cost. All of this is assuming that JR is not coming back but if he says he will play for the cup then stay pat.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:36 PM
GBailey93

Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I want him to go after someone that will actually be useful for the long run and isn't at the tail end of their career.

I don't understand a lot of people's opinion that the Flyers should be building for the future all the time? Why not go for it now? I will take 5 -6 years of 8th seeds and 1 and outs in the playoffs or not making the playoffs at all for winning a cup. If you are interested in having a competitive team for the next 10 years with nothing to show for it, that is fine. But come out and say it. Don't say "Don't trade youth" or "I want someone who will be useful for the long run".

This team is not built for the long run. It is built for the now. Recchi, LeClair, Amonte, JR, Burke, Desjardins, they are all at the tail ends of the careers, and really only have a few years of usefulness left. Why should the Flyers go and trade for someone who will be useful for the long haul when this team is not set up for that?

You cannot have it both way people. We either need to win now or rebuild, not both.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:59 PM
blah

People like ObeySteve and Clarke bashers can't see that. If he does retire then the Flyers will have to make a move for a center. As much as I like Sharp he's a stop-gap 2nd line center and not a soloution.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
If Clarke goes after another 30+ year old to replace JR with, I will officially be fully anti-Clarke and hope the Flyers replace him immediately for diluting the team with mediocre veterans.

Hey!!!!You're already fully Anti-Clarke...if not...we're gonna be in trouble the next time Clarkie blows a trade.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Steve L*

I dont mind if Clarke gets a salary dump, there should be quite a few players available for very little if they have a large salary. Of course they would be saving the money by not paying JR so it doesnt affect the budget.

On the other hand, if he does another Oates trade, Ill be calling for his head.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I think if he does another Oates trade...we won't have time to call for his head.

Old
02-15-2004, 03:39 PM
RoDu

No one ever responds to this, but did not Snider say if we don't win soon, he will force Clarke to break the team up? This is probably it for us. If you can get a new center, if there is one available, don't mortgage what little future we have left. Our prospects are ranked #27 for a reason. The prospect pool is extremly shallow.

Old
02-15-2004, 03:41 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
No one ever responds to this, but did not Snider say if we don't win soon, he will force Clarke to break the team up? This is probably it for us. If you can get a new center, if there is one available, don't mortgage what little future we have left. Our prospects are ranked #27 for a reason. The prospect pool is extremly shallow.
I understand that everyone wants to save the future. But we have a shot to win now. Shouldn't the Flyers take their shot? If Clarke doens't make a trade that can put this team over the top, then isn't he wasting his current talent base?

Old
02-15-2004, 03:46 PM
blah

Quote:
Actually, most of the Flyers better prospects developed and graduated.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:05 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Actually, most of the Flyers better prospects developed and graduated.
or been traded

Old
02-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Much easier said than done. The teams that have those pieces don't want to give them up, hence the fact that it would take a TON to acquire one.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:16 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
Much easier said than done. The teams that have those pieces don't want to give them up, hence the fact that it would take a TON to acquire one.
and that makes me cringe. I fear to go online to see that we've shipped off Carter and Richards for an over the hill center

Old
02-15-2004, 04:26 PM
blah

Quote:
or been traded
Williams brought Markov, who is far from past his prime, and Woywitka-picks brought Radivo, Eager, and a starting goalie.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93
I understand that everyone wants to save the future. But we have a shot to win now. Shouldn't the Flyers take their shot? If Clarke doens't make a trade that can put this team over the top, then isn't he wasting his current talent base?
When they signed Hitchcock, I recall Snider saying something to the effect that if the Flyers can't win the Cup with him as coach then they will make serious changes. Didn't Hitch sign a 4-year deal?

Old
02-15-2004, 04:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2534
Quote:
Oops! I posted a reply to the wrong entry. I meant the following to be attached to this not the previous post I sent.

When they signed Hitchcock, I recall Snider saying something to the effect that if the Flyers can't win the Cup with him as coach then they will make serious changes. Didn't Hitch sign a 4-year deal?

Old
02-15-2004, 04:47 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
if there is a lockout for next year, would that count as a year on Hitch's contract? If so, by the 4th year, our team will need walkers to get to the arena

Old
02-15-2004, 04:51 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
if there is a lockout for next year, would that count as a year on Hitch's contract? If so, by the 4th year, our team will need walkers to get to the arena
That is exactly why the Flyers need to win NOW.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:10 PM
stanley

Quote:
You aren't already? Steve, didn't you just recently author a thread comparing Clarke's (stupid) moves to the those of the (old and in the way) Oakland Raiders?

Let me know before your transformation becomes official, because I don't want to be in earshot when it happens.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:14 PM
stanley

Quote:
Our prospects are ranked #27 for a reason.
I think that's because those ranking haven't been updated in a few years.

Steve, I should have checked before I posted. I got to the second post in the thread and responded. I didn't realize other people also thought your feelings were obvious. No worries and it's not personal - just a little funny to read that from you.

I would hope the Flyers wait a couple of weeks (not too many weeks left before March 9) to pull the trigger. I would go after Ron Francis if he were available IF it becomes clear Roenick won't return this season or beyond.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:21 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93
I don't understand a lot of people's opinion that the Flyers should be building for the future all the time? Why not go for it now? I will take 5 -6 years of 8th seeds and 1 and outs in the playoffs or not making the playoffs at all for winning a cup. If you are interested in having a competitive team for the next 10 years with nothing to show for it, that is fine. But come out and say it. Don't say "Don't trade youth" or "I want someone who will be useful for the long run".

This team is not built for the long run. It is built for the now. Recchi, LeClair, Amonte, JR, Burke, Desjardins, they are all at the tail ends of the careers, and really only have a few years of usefulness left. Why should the Flyers go and trade for someone who will be useful for the long haul when this team is not set up for that?

You cannot have it both way people. We either need to win now or rebuild, not both.
The Flyers need to rebuild. All this "the time is now" crap where we look for temporary solutions is just going to extremely hurt the team in the long run. More than half of the key players on the team are going to be in retirement within 2-3 years, and by continuing to go after guys in their mid 30s we're just asking for a team that is going to struggle to even make the playoffs in the forseeable future.

Closed Thread