HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much would YOU pay Hossa?

View Poll Results: How much would you pay Hossa?
6 Mil 4 3.17%
7 Mil 28 22.22%
8 Mil 42 33.33%
9 Mil 38 30.16%
10 Mil 10 7.94%
More than 10 Mil 4 3.17%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
RKD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
2 years/18M

Gives the team cap flexibility when Gagner and Cogliano's contracts are up. Also ends when Pisani's, Moreau's and Torres's contracts expire. Although we'd have a skeleton roster at the end, it would gives us a lot of flexibility.
I would really like this. I wonder if Hossa would entertain a shorter term contract...

Well it sounds like Katz had a chat with Winter recently, so maybe they can be sweetened with the fine scotch he mentioned in the past.

06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
2 years/18M

Gives the team cap flexibility when Gagner and Cogliano's contracts are up. Also ends when Pisani's, Moreau's and Torres's contracts expire. Although we'd have a skeleton roster at the end, it would gives us a lot of flexibility.
Hossa is looking for a long term deal, meaning at least 4+ years.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
OILFAN #81

Question to those who listened to Bob say he is a lock to the Oilers? Did he elaborate on this or was that his statement and that was it? I really wish noone said anything until it happened because I don't want a Nylander situation again. Although Hossa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nylander so I would actually be mad this time. The Nylander thing was a blessing in disguise.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogliano13gagner89 View Post
LMAO then I doubt it. For many reasons but one being that not everyone listens to or knows Eklund or even Nick Kipreous for that matter...
ok, eklund and kipper was a bad example but I'm trying to come up with scenerio where the reports are from a smaller source. Not someone like TSN or Stauffer, etc. I don't know, hard to explain of what I'm thinking, I'll shut up now.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

On the open market you better be willing to go up to 8. If I am the Penguins, I offer him 7 hoping that having a very good team counts for SOMETHING, but as a free agent? Well, Gomez and Drury helped set the market with their absurd contracts and my boy Briere was right there with them.

Hossa is a better goal scorer and defensive player than any of those guys and he has as much speed as any of them. Open your checkbook wide for this guy. Plus, unlike Briere who had to go to arbitration to get 5, or a lot of other guys hitting the market now like Campbell who have made very little money, Hossa already made about $6M last year. He is going to seek a raise for sure.

6/50M is my prediction for him, a steep price to pay but as FA signings go, probably more worth it than any of the big four from last summer (Drury, Gomez, Briere, Smyth) in my opinion.

06-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
ok, eklund and kipper was a bad example but I'm trying to come up with scenerio where the reports are from a smaller source. Not someone like TSN or Stauffer, etc.
Yeah I get what your saying, your just not getting what I'm trying to say lol.

Let's say for example I don't pay any attention to the media or I don't go online much and I find out about the deal while watching sportscenter. I highly doubt TSN would make up a rumour and say that Katz wanted Hossa unless Katz said it himself. Therefore I will just go on and assume that Lowe overpaid massively.

Do you get what I'm getting at?

Old
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
RabidPitbull

I say you pay him whatever it takes without mortgaging the future of the team. It's up to Katz, LaForge and KLowe to sell him on the direction of the team and his place in it.

Pens offered 5 years at whatever the amount, Hossa wanted 7. He has also stated that if it was about the money he would resign in Atlanta.

So you give him a "declining contract" or whatever it's called over 7 years which effectively reduces his overall cap hit regardless of how much you pay in the expensive years of the contract's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
lol call it the triple h line
And I can see this scenario happening.....

"Ladies and gentlemen, YOUR ED-MON-TON OILERRRRRRSSSSSSSS......

cue music......

Number 18 MARIAN HOOOOSSSAAAAA, Number 10 Shawn HORRRRRCOFFFFFF, Number 83 ALES HEMSKYYYYY"

RabidPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
catters078

in a free agent market where there are genuine stars on the block...thortnon, kovalchuk....alfreddson etc he would only get 5 m over 4 years i would think or something to that affect...

in this free agency where big talent is thin....his name is getting highly overrated and will get a big cash in...someone will be stupid enough to give him something like 8.5 over 7 which i dont think he merits ...

hes not a genuine superstar of this league and hes probably not even a top 20 talent but he has been fortunate enough to be put on lines in his career with "genuine superstars" in kovalchuk and crosby alot of players would shine along side them...for hossa to be earn every cent and reamin as consistant as he has been he needs to be with a 1st rate set up guy, and if its not in pittsburgh, boston or vancouver makes the most sense....

either playing with savard...a great set up man or the sedins on a great line...

both clubs have the cash, but whispers are he stays east... in boston for mine

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogliano13gagner89 View Post
Yeah I get what your saying, your just not getting what I'm trying to say lol.

Let's say for example I don't pay any attention to the media or I don't go online much and I find out about the deal while watching sportscenter. I highly doubt TSN would make up a rumour and say that Katz wanted Hossa unless Katz said it himself. Therefore I will just go on and assume that Lowe overpaid massively.

Do you get what I'm getting at?
ok, now I get you(also I re read your comment and it was quite obvious what you were saying. I usually do that a lot, read something but react to it differently. Even when someone is talking to me One time, I asked someone something and I thought he said, go help him because he sucks and I lashed out on him. I've been on the comp for 4 hours now and my head is hurting and can't think straight. With that said, I'm getting off the comp for now. cya

*origanally, I thought you meant, Eklund/Kipper both suck so if reports were from them, noone would think it's legit and the fans would continue to bash Lowe.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 06-30-2008 at 11:58 PM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
ok, now I get you. I've been on the comp for 4 hours now and my head is hurting and can't think straight. With that said, I'm getting off the comp for now. cya
hahaha lol

Old
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM
The Forechecker

Hemsky gets 90+ with Hossa on board.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
AK

I'd go 7.5 million for him. After his run in the postseason, I realized what a great player he really is, and he should command very good money. In today's UFA world, to get the best players, you have to overpay, and it's a simple way of life.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:13 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
9 million in the first year, 6 million in the final year. 6 years / 48 million. averages to 7.83 a season.

year 1: 9
year 2: 9
year 3: 9
year 4: 8
year 5: 7
year 6: 6

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:28 AM
the word*

... between 8.5 - 9.1 million.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Louis Cypher

The deal is done... its a lock. We are just waiting to fax in the paperwork.

Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Wheatking

I said 10M because thats what it would take to get him here and if you're going to go for it....really go for it. To get an elite player to Edmonton we'd probably have to overpay by about 2 million.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I'd consider anything under 8.5m a bargain for Hossa with the market the way it is. IF he signs here, I'd expect something like a 5 yr deal with 9m cap hit.

Pitkanen,Torres and Roloson would need to be moved I'd assume.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Raoul Duke*

I'd rather give Eric Lindros 2 million for 10 years, and Brett Lindros 1 miillion for ten years.

Guaranteed 10 straight Stans. But I'm not Bruce Wayne Katz.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:32 AM
MrOiler

It starts to get difficult for me at $8M/yr and anything over 5 years. I'm sure someone on the market will pay him this much.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

somewhere in between 7-8 million a season.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:41 AM
FacelessButcher

-I'd offer $9 Million a year on a 3 year contract

-I'd offer $8.425 Million a year on a 5 year contract

-I'd offer $7.625 Million a year on a 7 or 8 year contract, but it would have to be heavily front loaded

An absolute ton of money to give up any of the 3 ways, but god damn! I would love to have Hossa in an Oilers jersey.

FacelessButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:39 AM
oilsmack99

Voted for 9.

I am ok with 7x9 for 63 million dollars.

This team had a dynasty and didn't need big time free agents, then we couldn't afford them, and then they wouldn't come if they were tier one. I just want a win, like I felt the Penner and Vanek offers showed we were back in the black baby. Sometimes it takes grand gestures and symbols to get the foot soldiers to charge into battle, and if we want players in the league to respect us, we need to fire a big old cannon every once in a while.

Make the effort, and if we don't get him, hell, 28 other teams are in the same boat as us.

oilsmack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Hemsky4PM

It's Katz money. So who cares.

I don't think he's coming, but it's not the end of the world. I'm still confident Gagner and Hemsky will be high end offensive players for a long time.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote