Kobasew

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Cactus Jack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Kobasew

Hey guys, I wanted to know what everyone thinks of Chucky Kobasew's play as of late. I know he didn't do much at the start of the season, was benched a lot, and that he only has 3 goals, but lately he's been playing better. I think they're wasting him on the 4th line with guys like Oliwa and Green. I really hate it when a skilled guys doesn't play with like-minded players, and you can see the effect it had on Kobasew with him fighting and not playing his game. He hasn't exactly exploded but when placed with better players his game gets better.

I see a real future with Kobasew and I hope the flames have the patience and use him appropraitely to further his growth.

And for love of GOD bulk up Chuck!!!

Old
02-17-2004, 12:50 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Who knows, maybe come playoff time he'll find his groove, and start potting some valuable PP goals. Let's just hope so.............

Old
02-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Puckz

Kobasew will pick it up.... he may never put up 100 points but a consistent 60 isn't out of the question as a 2nd liner... I had the privilege of watching him in Junior hockey with Osoyoos, Penticton and Kelowna and this guy will pick up his play... He isn't the biggest guy, but he will find a way to put the puck in the net and I have all the confidence in that. It is a shame to see him play 8 minutes on the fourth line and as I continue to track his progress he seems to generate the most offence when placed on a better line playing 14 minutes... whether it be a goal, some oppurtunities, four or five shots... Give him some time.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Just like any player he has to earn his ice time. For half the season or more he hasn't deserved to be ahead of Donovan or Iginla or Clark. His team worst -12 suggest that his defensive play isn't quite up to par.

He probably should have played some this year in the AHL but injuries and a lack of depth forced to stay up. However, I for one think he has plenty of things he can learn on the 4th line. The things that are preventing him from being an impact NHLer are not his skills, they are his consistency, physical play and defensive play. He can concentrate on all of those things on the 4th line. Personally I think his development would probably speed up if could see some more time in the AHL but he's really looked good in the games I've seen after the all star break.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Just like any player he has to earn his ice time. For half the season or more he hasn't deserved to be ahead of Donovan or Iginla or Clark. His team worst -12 suggest that his defensive play isn't quite up to par.

He probably should have played some this year in the AHL but injuries and a lack of depth forced to stay up. However, I for one think he has plenty of things he can learn on the 4th line. The things that are preventing him from being an impact NHLer are not his skills, they are his consistency, physical play and defensive play. He can concentrate on all of those things on the 4th line. Personally I think his development would probably speed up if could see some more time in the AHL but he's really looked good in the games I've seen after the all star break.
I do agree with most your points in some shape... Kobasew has not outplayed Donovan, Iginla, nor Clark this year as you mentioned. His -12 rating is due to poor defensive play, but Kobasew was never know for his defensive game... He's always been somewhat a floater paired with two forwards who were great two-way forwards. Obviously this won't get him very far in the NHL and the 4th line is where maybe he'll develop his checking and defensive game. However, I do not feel he is benefiting from the 4th line, Kobasew while playing there has had a few fighting majors as of late and as we all know Kobasew is not meant to be a fighter... He was never a fighter even in junior, think one of the only scraps he ever had was against Upshall... Maybe it's a part of giving him a "tougher skin" but what I would have liked to see as well is more time in the AHL earlier in the season... While he's starting to contribute more on a regular basis his consistency still somewhat lacks... No doubt he would have benefitted more in the AHL earlier this year but now I feel it's too late to demote him as the experience down the stretch and possibly into the playoffs would be far more valuable.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:09 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Kobasew will come around. He is a goal scorer, but right now, he seems to be devleoping the other parts of his game. I like how he drives to the net on a regular basis and gets his nose dirty. His development is not coming along as quickly as I had thought, but I sense that over the next two years, the goals will begin to come more frequently.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
02-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Just another observation here, but it seems that Kobasew can get knocked off the puck rather easily by big defenders. For him to become the Drury-type player he is capable of becoming, he really needs to devote himself more to increasing his upper body strength. His skating is adequate, but he doesn't have the blazing speed to bounce off checks, like some other smallish wingers can. His approach to the game involves threading the needle, so he'll have to withstand more punishment in order to drive to the crease.
This was a post of mine in the Anaheim game thread. It said basically the same thing as your last comment, Cactus...only a little wordier.

Closed Thread