HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey and Religion

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Hawksfan2828

vCash: 500
I always found it odd that Stu "The Grimm Reaper" Grimson was a hardcore Christian. That guy did some crazy stuff whe he broke in the league with the Blackhawks. I remember he would fight anyone in the leauge at the drop of a dime, hes been the reason for a couple of bench clearers. There are a few videos on Youtube of the guy going crazy on the Ice bashing people. From all that I read about him apparently off ice the guy is really humble dispite his antics on the ice.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Nope, not much more than anywhere else I'd say.

It's just that religion isn't talked about in any public setting.

It's regarded as intensely private. In general you'll have better luck discussing sexual preferences or the parentage of their kids than discussing religious beliefs.

The ones you'll most likely to hear are on the extreme ends of the scale, which of course even more increases the reluctance to discuss it.
so what do you make of this study that said 46-85% of country is Atheist/Agnostic, and most other studies I heard said it is very high like 75%

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

Old
07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
LOL, when my dad used to watch hockey; he would say SATAN out loud whenever Miroslav has the puck, lmfao.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
so what do you make of this study that said 46-85% of country is Atheist/Agnostic, and most other studies I heard said it is very high like 75%

wow. 46-85% is a pretty wide margin.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
wow. 46-85% is a pretty wide margin.
I have heard several times that the people in Sweden isn't exactly believing in god, but that they believe in "something" after life is ended. I shall try and find some material for it to back it up, i believe it was an EU-survey.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
Curtis Brown, yet to be mentioned, is one of the most religious athletes you're ever gonna see.
yes that's true, I cant believe I forgot him. He was a firm believer in no pre-marital sex. I can remember him quoting that once also stating he doesnt drink and some of the Buffalo guys would rib him at ordering a Coke all the time. He stood firm though, you gotta respect that in the NHL atmosphere. He is well liked by his teammates by all accounts and now to my knowledge has a wife and child now.

Oh another guy, Ron Ellis. Hear his story, going through depression and whatnot, his faith helped him.

Plus I remember Laurie Boschmann being a Christian.

Mike Green. Hmm, I dont know about the Jewish thing. Maybe he is, but Ted Green wasnt Jewish even though he constantl was call "Jew" in his career.

Old
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
due to the fact that i've never heard the issue of fasting during ramadan come up in the NHL, i'm inclined to believe that there are no (practicing) muslims currently in the NHL.

07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
due to the fact that i've never heard the issue of fasting during ramadan come up in the NHL, i'm inclined to believe that there are no (practicing) muslims currently in the NHL.
For most people it's deferable due to unusual circumstances, like participating in (professional) sports.

Just like Christians playing (which is working) on Sundays (and Jews on Saturdays).

There are degrees of literalism in every religion, or even in non-religion

Old
07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
teal

Quote:
For most people it's deferable due to unusual circumstances, like participating in (professional) sports.

Just like Christians playing (which is working) on Sundays (and Jews on Saturdays).

i don't think it's deferable, it's more like what level of religiosity an athlete decides to practice. playing on a sunday or a saturday is simply not following the religion- how can religious rules be considered deferrable?- and that's where an athlete (and any one else's) free will comes into play.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:

dont worry, i know the rules, i'm muslim.
yes, you can make up the fasting part of ramadan at a later time if you are not able to at the time for any reason. Most common reason is sickness or travel, but i believe sports apply too. I remember when i was younger, i would skip for soccer tournaments, and make up after ramadan.

i was just using the fact that it has never come up as reasoning for my deduction that there are no muslim players in the NHL.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Mr Shanahan

Steve Yzerman and Gary Bettman are jewish.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
Steve Yzerman and Gary Bettman are jewish.
Yzerman is not Jewish.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
philthy mcnasty*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Budaj is a big one. He even has Flanders from the Simpsons on the back of his helmet to signify this.
Haha I always wondered about that. Hmm, interesting and very cool.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
dont worry, i know the rules, i'm muslim.
yes, you can make up the fasting part of ramadan at a later time if you are not able to at the time for any reason. Most common reason is sickness or travel, but i believe sports apply too. I remember when i was younger, i would skip for soccer tournaments, and make up after ramadan.

i was just using the fact that it has never come up as reasoning for my deduction that there are no muslim players in the NHL.
I would imagine that there would have been articles about a Muslim NHLer during Ramadan as well.

This site mentions Ramzi Abid as a Muslim.

But it doesn't look too reputable. Nothing concrete on whether he is or not. There's nothing that I can find indicating any NHLer past or present to be a Muslim.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Cammalleri, Schneider, Dubinsky, Grossman and Halpern are Jewish.
Are they practicing Jews? Judaism, unlike Christianity isn't just a religion.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:52 AM
johnunit

Send a message via MSN to johnunit
Ruegsegger (sp), Leafs prospect at one of the Michigan schools, is extremely devout. There have been rumours of him leaving both school and hockey to become a preist.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Heat McManus

Kai Kantola (forget who he was drafted by, but he plays for Bowling Green) is pretty devout as well.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
DougHarvey

I know Josh Gorges crosses himself before getting on the ice prior to each game.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
saskganesh

the old Jets had a core of born agains. Boschman, Smail, Maclean I think, among others.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I always found it odd that Stu "The Grimm Reaper" Grimson was a hardcore Christian. That guy did some crazy stuff whe he broke in the league with the Blackhawks. I remember he would fight anyone in the leauge at the drop of a dime, hes been the reason for a couple of bench clearers. There are a few videos on Youtube of the guy going crazy on the Ice bashing people. From all that I read about him apparently off ice the guy is really humble dispite his antics on the ice.
yeah it's strange to be so devout yet have that kind of behaviour. it's kind of like people who steal cars, beat their wives, cheat and lie every minute of the day but think it's okay because they eat fish on good friday

Old
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by teal View Post
i don't think it's deferable, it's more like what level of religiosity an athlete decides to practice. playing on a sunday or a saturday is simply not following the religion- how can religious rules be considered deferrable?- and that's where an athlete (and any one else's) free will comes into play.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the requirements to be of a certain religion include committing your time in certain ways.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post

In many societies, the masses tend to be followers. Whether Christianity or Atheism is right or wrong, that's not the point. It's that most of us aren't independent thinkers enough to the point that we won't consider following some sort of religious path. And the ones that are most prevalent in the society one lives in are more likely to be followed.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Midnight

Georges Laraque is frequently noted for his devout Christian faith, which presumably influences his off-ice gentlemanly conduct and his very high degree of community involvement. I find this pretty interesting for a big enforcer type like him.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Rob

Fortunately the NHL isn't like the NFL with all the religious rhetoric during post-game interviews.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the requirements to be of a certain religion include committing your time in certain ways.
Islam does in some ways.

Closed Thread