HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey and Religion

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Ned Ryerson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Islam does in some ways.
If true, then Islam isn't limited to a belief system. It must also encompass a way of life.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
If true, then Islam isn't limited to a belief system. It must also encompass a way of life.
How could a belief system not encompass a way of life?

Isn't that the foundation of a belief system?

Otherwise it would be like "live your life as you please, as long as you remember to eat at least one hot dog (with bun) every friday".

Which sounds like quite a joke of a belief system.

Well, it actually sounds like Discordianism but what ever.

Can we now get back to the players and away from comparative theology please?

Old
07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
The New Originals

Isn't Malkin Jewish?

Old
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
I was at a wedding in January and the minister was former NHL defenseman Adam Burt
Hordichuk mentions that Burt was a huge influence on his life.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Are they practicing Jews? Judaism, unlike Christianity isn't just a religion.
I'm glad someone raised this point.

I was also going to state that "Jewish" is an ethnicity as well as a religion. Just because someone is Jewish doesn't mean they are religious.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Bobby Holik is a hardcore Christian. I know because he chewed out my friend for exclaiming "Jesus!" at a bar one night after a game. Was one of the most hilariously scary moments of my life.

And just for good measure-

Old
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
I'm glad someone raised this point.

I was also going to state that "Jewish" is an ethnicity as well as a religion. Just because someone is Jewish doesn't mean they are religious.
How is Jewish an ethnicity? While Jews originated in the Middle East, they had since spread over the past handful of millennia.

I don't know how closely related the Jews of Eastern Europe would be to the Jews of southern Spain to the Jews native to Jerusalem.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Georges Laraque is frequently noted for his devout Christian faith, which presumably influences his off-ice gentlemanly conduct and his very high degree of community involvement. I find this pretty interesting for a big enforcer type like him.
Laraque I did not know that about him. Well, like Grimson, they know they have a job to do on the ice. It's a respected part of the game, they arent doing anything crooked. Heck, Mike Gartner worked for the NHLPA, you'd think he'd be a rotten scoundrel after the crap they went through but he wasnt. Jesse Barfield (ex Toronto Blue Jay) used to say that just because he's a Christian dont expect him not to compete and play hard, if anything, he'll compete harder. I would assume Laraque and others would have that sentiment

Old
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
How could a belief system not encompass a way of life?

Isn't that the foundation of a belief system?

Otherwise it would be like "live your life as you please, as long as you remember to eat at least one hot dog (with bun) every friday".

Which sounds like quite a joke of a belief system.

Well, it actually sounds like Discordianism but what ever.

Can we now get back to the players and away from comparative theology please?
I apologize, but I wasn't the one who brought up the issue of what the religious players do on Saturday or Sunday.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any belief in existence that requires you to do something on a Saturday or Sunday to have that belief. It might be the cultural norm within many religions to do something in particular on a Saturday or Sunday, but never is doing something on one of those days a requirement to believe something.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
How is Jewish an ethnicity? While Jews originated in the Middle East, they had since spread over the past handful of millennia.

I don't know how closely related the Jews of Eastern Europe would be to the Jews of southern Spain to the Jews native to Jerusalem.
I don't think he meant ethnicity per se. I think he meant something more along the lines of a heritage.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Malkin is a scientologist

Old
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
Isn't Malkin Jewish?
No, orthodox Christian.

Old
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
teal

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think the requirements to be of a certain religion include committing your time in certain ways.
no no, you're right- i guess i wasn't clear. i was saying that one will still be of a certain religion regardless of what they do. BUT not following the rules of a religion is not following the rules. it simply means one is not being "religious", observant, practicing. they're still christian, jewish, muslim, etc.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I always found it odd that Stu "The Grimm Reaper" Grimson was a hardcore Christian. That guy did some crazy stuff whe he broke in the league with the Blackhawks. I remember he would fight anyone in the leauge at the drop of a dime, hes been the reason for a couple of bench clearers. There are a few videos on Youtube of the guy going crazy on the Ice bashing people. From all that I read about him apparently off ice the guy is really humble dispite his antics on the ice.
My brother grew up with a guy like this. He NEVER swears, doesn't drink, is the nicest and most humble guy you ever met (he was drafted by an OHL team and a MLB team) and would give you the shirt off his back.
BUT, get him on the ice, and he'll fight anyone. He wasn't a goon per-say, but if anyone took liberties with a teammate or challenged him, he'd drop the gloves as fast as he could.

In the end, Christians (even devout ones), are flawed and sin like everyone else.
But I'm sure to guys like Grimson and by brothers friend, fighting on the ice isn't seen as a 'big' sin since it's part of a game and they really don't want to hurt anyone - or hurt them too bad.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
RMBoner Stabone

Guys that wear crosses that I've noticed:

Madden
Elias
Ovechkin
Mike Richards
Arnott

Guys I've seen make the sign of the cross through the years:

Bourque
Potvin
Barasso

I've also read Laraque talking about going to Midnight Mass and being a Catholic.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Laraque I did not know that about him. Well, like Grimson, they know they have a job to do on the ice. It's a respected part of the game, they arent doing anything crooked. Heck, Mike Gartner worked for the NHLPA, you'd think he'd be a rotten scoundrel after the crap they went through but he wasnt. Jesse Barfield (ex Toronto Blue Jay) used to say that just because he's a Christian dont expect him not to compete and play hard, if anything, he'll compete harder. I would assume Laraque and others would have that sentiment
Very true. And for those that are Christian, Jesus was no wimp. He stood up for what he believed in regardless of the consequences.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
ForsbergMoDo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
Any Atheists?

I heard once that Forsberg was an Atheist, I also remember reading some interview with Sean Bergenheim and they asked him something about life after death and he said He didnt believe in it, so that makes me think he is at least Atheist leaning but who knows
If Forsberg is an atheist that would make up for the fact that he has a business that imports those hideous "croc" shoes.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
budleydudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
It's very rare to hear any Swedish celebrity speak about their eventual religious beliefs. Most will look at his or her shoes and mumble something about "private matter" and "respecting everyone else" while reminding him/herself never to talk to that journalist again.

It's likely the most private question that could be asked.

Thank you.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Canadarocks

I'd just like to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has lasted this long. I was so sure it would be locked before it reached page two. Good job guys!

Old
07-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I know a few younger guys in the NHL who are Christians.

07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
Hordichuk mentions that Burt was a huge influence on his life.

Wow Hordichuk is now my new favorite player! Beat the crap out of them then pray for them. I like it.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Cropduster

Former enforcer and WHL assistant coach Rocky Thompson

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...4144c6&k=55182

Old
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Dima87*

I duno about practising but I imagine that Khabibulin is a Muslim.

99% of Russian players are Orthodox Christians. Kharlamov was the notable one that wasn't.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Dima87*

Quote:

Ashkenazi Jews and Sephardic Jews are extremely similiar when it comes to DNA or whatever. Ashkenazi Jews ( Central/Eastern European) differ big time from native European populations and their closest relatives are Sephardic and Yemenite Jews.

If your mother is Jewish you are of Jewish ethnicity, that's a must. However if you are a convert to Judiasm or your mother's a convert you are not considered to be ethnic Jewish.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
Ashkenazi Jews and Sephardic Jews are extremely similiar when it comes to DNA or whatever. Ashkenazi Jews ( Central/Eastern European) differ big time from native European populations and their closest relatives are Sephardic and Yemenite Jews.

If your mother is Jewish you are of Jewish ethnicity, that's a must. However if you are a convert to Judiasm or your mother's a convert you are not considered to be ethnic Jewish.
Is this a scientific or cultural/religious belief?

Closed Thread