HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey and Religion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
  #101
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
Ethnically, Georges Laraque & Simon Gagne are different. One is black & one is white. However, Jeff Halpern and Steve Yzerman aren't ethnically different. One is white and the other is white - even if one is Jewish and the other isn't.

All black people aren't just black. Hutus and Tutsis might have some things to say about that.

Unless somebody comes from a very isolated community, it's pretty hard to pinpoint somebody's exact ethnicity today.

My great-grandfather is Sicilian , I was looking at a picture of him the other day and it struck me that he had a lot of features associated with black people. I asked my mom and she said his wife first met him in 1920 or so, she thought he was black.

Right now I say I'm Italian, Irish, and Hungarian, but until I get a blood test I really won't know for sure what the full mixture is (and even then they only give probabilities).

Heat McManus is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
  #102
Kraden
Registered User
 
Kraden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Sweden
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetheodore View Post
Guys that wear crosses that I've noticed:

Madden
Elias
Ovechkin
Mike Richards
Arnott
Here's an interview with Ovechkin where he says that he's a christian:
Go to 19:38
http://viastream.player.mtgnewmedia....50&PayStatus=1


Last edited by Kraden: 07-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Kraden is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
  #103
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
All black people aren't just black. Hutus and Tutsis might have some things to say about that.

Unless somebody comes from a very isolated community, it's pretty hard to pinpoint somebody's exact ethnicity today.

My great-grandfather is Sicilian , I was looking at a picture of him the other day and it struck me that he had a lot of features associated with black people. I asked my mom and she said his wife first met him in 1920 or so, she thought he was black.

Right now I say I'm Italian, Irish, and Hungarian, but until I get a blood test I really won't know for sure what the full mixture is (and even then they only give probabilities).
That's because the island of Sicily was very mixed compared to the rest of Italy, it had a heavy Arab and African populations in there which explains the different looks from the rest of Italy.

I have a friend who's Sicilian, but he looks more like an Arab or an Indian than an Italian.

Birko19 is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 04:53 PM
  #104
Dima87*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden View Post
Here's an interview with Ovechkin where he says that he's a christian:
Go to 19:38
http://viastream.player.mtgnewmedia....50&PayStatus=1
Well obviously, virtually all Russians belogn to the Orthodox Christian faith.

Dima87* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
  #105
Dima87*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
Ethnically, Georges Laraque & Simon Gagne are different. One is black & one is white. However, Jeff Halpern and Steve Yzerman aren't ethnically different. One is white and the other is white - even if one is Jewish and the other isn't.
White is a racial category, or caucasian to be exact. Russia, German, Scottish, etc are ethnic groups.

Dima87* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
  #106
Dima87*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Ok, just because someone has a Jewish sound name it does not mean they're Jewish, in fact it's quite the opposite because European Jews have mostly Euro names, not ethnic Jewish names, a lot of them took the name of the town they came from or the profession of the family.

In the case of Yzerman which sounds very Jewish, it's actually German and it means Iron-Man I think, and to prove this, if you go look up Mathieu Schneider's profiles all over the net, you'll see that he's the highest point producer in the NHL as a Jew, if Yzerman was Jewish he would have that title.
There isn't one person with the name of Goldstein for example that doesn't have Jewish ancestry. Most European Jews have German sounding last names because that's where their first settlement was, in Germany. Their language is very similiar to German as well.

Dima87* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
  #107
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
All black people aren't just black. Hutus and Tutsis might have some things to say about that.

Unless somebody comes from a very isolated community, it's pretty hard to pinpoint somebody's exact ethnicity today.

My great-grandfather is Sicilian , I was looking at a picture of him the other day and it struck me that he had a lot of features associated with black people. I asked my mom and she said his wife first met him in 1920 or so, she thought he was black.

Right now I say I'm Italian, Irish, and Hungarian, but until I get a blood test I really won't know for sure what the full mixture is (and even then they only give probabilities).
I assume you say you're Italian, Irish & Hungarian because that's where your ancestors came from. But what if I'm born and raised in Australia to Australian parents whose parents emigrated there from the United States. Would I be American or Australian?

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
  #108
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
There isn't one person with the name of Goldstein for example that doesn't have Jewish ancestry. Most European Jews have German sounding last names because that's where their first settlement was, in Germany. Their language is very similiar to German as well.
Not true. Adoptive children and women who marry into families with the name Goldstein could easily not have Jewish ancestry.

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
  #109
Kraden
Registered User
 
Kraden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Sweden
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
Well obviously, virtually all Russians belogn to the Orthodox Christian faith.
Yeah I guess.

Still, it's funny to hear him answer the question: Are you religious? He replies: No, I'm christian.

Though I don't blame him as the reporter speaks poor English.

Kraden is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
  #110
Dima87*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
I assume you say you're Italian, Irish & Hungarian because that's where your ancestors came from. But what if I'm born and raised in Australia to Australian parents whose parents emigrated there from the United States. Would I be American or Australian?
American and Australian arent ethnicities though, they're nationalities. I wouldn't classify Americans as an ethnic group. Controversial subject.

Dima87* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
  #111
Dima87*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
Not true. Adoptive children and women who marry into families with the name Goldstein could easily not have Jewish ancestry.
Well yea, I guess you're right.

Dima87* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
  #112
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
There isn't one person with the name of Goldstein for example that doesn't have Jewish ancestry. Most European Jews have German sounding last names because that's where their first settlement was, in Germany. Their language is very similiar to German as well.
I guess you're talking about Yiddish, and maybe Goldstein is only used by Jews, there are plenty of other popular Jewish names in North America that are in fact very popular among Germans too, Schneider is one for example.

I guess it's safe to say that European Jews are a mix of Europeans and Middle Easterners who lived in Europe.

Birko19 is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
  #113
Mortal Fear*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Forsberg scores major points for being athiest in my book.

Mortal Fear* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
  #114
It Kills Me
Registered User
 
It Kills Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Forsberg scores major points for being athiest in my book.
He's Swedish right?

Aren't most of them atheist.. Same deal with Fins right?

I think the word is secular.. I think. I'm sure someone's brought it up in this thread.. I think I'll read now.

It Kills Me is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 07:13 PM
  #115
Bonsai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta area
Country: United States
Posts: 666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden View Post
Yeah I guess.

Still, it's funny to hear him answer the question: Are you religious? He replies: No, I'm christian.

Though I don't blame him as the reporter speaks poor English.
There is a difference between one who follows the outward rules of a sect of Christianity and one who follows Christ.

I belong to the latter group. I am not religious at all - I just try and do what the Christian Scriptures say.

I know what it is like to be in deep depression, a drunken druggie, have no friends, dropout of high school, and many other things like cutting on myself and attempted suicide.

Now Jesus has healed me completely and I am full of peace and joy.

Bonsai is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
  #116
Islesin93*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post

Now Jesus has healed me completely and I am full of peace and joy.
how did he do that?

Islesin93* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
  #117
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
I assume you say you're Italian, Irish & Hungarian because that's where your ancestors came from. But what if I'm born and raised in Australia to Australian parents whose parents emigrated there from the United States. Would I be American or Australian?
My nationality is American.

My ethnicity is Italian, Irish, and Hungarian predominantly.

My cultural background is more American than anything else. I've been to Italy and while I loved the experience and family I have there, I did not feel anything close to culturally Italian. I'm eligible for an Italian passport through my grandmother and will apply for it because it's an incredible opportunity and will make traveling to, working in, and purchasing things in the EU a lot easier in the future.

The prevailing cultural influence from my ethnic heritage is Italian.

I speak a little bit of Italian, but nothing close to fluent and barely conversational.

If you're born and raised in Austria to Austrian parents then moved to the US? I guess you'd be ethnically _____ (depending on your family's ethnicity) and then your nationality would be Austrian or American depending on what's on your passport. Culturally, I would imagine you'd most likely be Austrian if you had spent the majority of your life their.

Heat McManus is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
  #118
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
He's Swedish right?

Aren't most of them atheist.. Same deal with Fins right?

I think the word is secular.. I think. I'm sure someone's brought it up in this thread.. I think I'll read now.
Secular and atheist are very different concepts.
Atheists deny the existence of god. Secularists believe in a god, but do not follow the conventions of a given religion.

Heat McManus is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
  #119
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
That's because the island of Sicily was very mixed compared to the rest of Italy, it had a heavy Arab and African populations in there which explains the different looks from the rest of Italy.

I have a friend who's Sicilian, but he looks more like an Arab or an Indian than an Italian.
I always knew that about Italy. My great-grandmother had flaming red hair which was kind of outside the norm for Sicily. While we thought that it could be possible that we had African or Arab descendants, none of it was too glaring in our physical make-up. That side of the family looks pretty stereotypically Italian for the most part. It was just surprising looking at my great-grandfather and seeing that because I remember him from when he was in his late 70s and 80s. The picture I saw was from his late teens (his wedding photo).

Now my future wife is African and Native American mostly. Eventually we're both getting blood tests to see what the complete mosaic is. It's something I think is good for our kids to know waaaaay in the future..


Wow....people on HFBoards know a ridiculous amount about me right now.

Heat McManus is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
  #120
Bonsai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta area
Country: United States
Posts: 666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
how did he do that?
I don't know! I don't have all the answers. All I can say is that He is God - He can do cool stuff like that. There is a verse that says God will give you a peace that transcends all understanding.

That is the Christian belief system at least. I happen to share it.

And it is from personal experience that I speak. Christianity was never supposed to be a religion, but the story of mankind's redemption and a personal relationship with God and the "Holy Guest."

I have many friends who have had similar experiences.

Bonsai is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:54 PM
  #121
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
American and Australian arent ethnicities though, they're nationalities. I wouldn't classify Americans as an ethnic group. Controversial subject.
Well, Irish, Italian and Hungarian aren't ethnicities. Those are also nationalities. If the ancestors of Vakar Lajos came from Ireland, Italy and Hungary, but he was born and raised in the USA, then by your rationale, he is American. But he claims to be Irish, Italian and Hungarian. Which is correct?

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:55 PM
  #122
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Forsberg scores major points for being athiest in my book.
What exactly is an Atheist?

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
  #123
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
There is a difference between one who follows the outward rules of a sect of Christianity and one who follows Christ.

I belong to the latter group. I am not religious at all - I just try and do what the Christian Scriptures say.

I know what it is like to be in deep depression, a drunken druggie, have no friends, dropout of high school, and many other things like cutting on myself and attempted suicide.

Now Jesus has healed me completely and I am full of peace and joy.
When you say that Jesus healed you, do you mean that metaphorically or literally? If literally, do you mean 'healed' in the same context as when a wound heals? Or perhaps when a doctor performs surgery on you and you are healed as a result of the surgery?

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Old
07-04-2008, 12:04 AM
  #124
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
My nationality is American.

My ethnicity is Italian, Irish, and Hungarian predominantly.

My cultural background is more American than anything else. I've been to Italy and while I loved the experience and family I have there, I did not feel anything close to culturally Italian. I'm eligible for an Italian passport through my grandmother and will apply for it because it's an incredible opportunity and will make traveling to, working in, and purchasing things in the EU a lot easier in the future.

The prevailing cultural influence from my ethnic heritage is Italian.

I speak a little bit of Italian, but nothing close to fluent and barely conversational.

If you're born and raised in Austria to Austrian parents then moved to the US? I guess you'd be ethnically _____ (depending on your family's ethnicity) and then your nationality would be Austrian or American depending on what's on your passport. Culturally, I would imagine you'd most likely be Austrian if you had spent the majority of your life their.
I could be wrong, but I suspect your ethnicity isn't Hungarian, Italian & Irish, but Caucasian. Using your logic, one who is born & raised in Australia, but whose grandparents all emigrated from the USA would have an ethnicity of American. But what if his grandparents ancestors came to the USA from Hungary. Would he have an ethnicity of Hungarian? If he's Hungarian, then your ethnicity isn't Hungarian, Irish & Italian, but whatever area your ancestors emigrated from to Hungary, Ireland & Italy. If his ethnicity is American, then couldn't your ethnicity be American too?

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Old
07-04-2008, 12:06 AM
  #125
Ned Ryerson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Punxatawney, PA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Secular and atheist are very different concepts.
Atheists deny the existence of god. Secularists believe in a god, but do not follow the conventions of a given religion.
How do atheists define the God they deny the existence of?

Ned Ryerson* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.