HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey and Religion

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
Ethnically, Georges Laraque & Simon Gagne are different. One is black & one is white. However, Jeff Halpern and Steve Yzerman aren't ethnically different. One is white and the other is white - even if one is Jewish and the other isn't.

All black people aren't just black. Hutus and Tutsis might have some things to say about that.

Unless somebody comes from a very isolated community, it's pretty hard to pinpoint somebody's exact ethnicity today.

My great-grandfather is Sicilian , I was looking at a picture of him the other day and it struck me that he had a lot of features associated with black people. I asked my mom and she said his wife first met him in 1920 or so, she thought he was black.

Right now I say I'm Italian, Irish, and Hungarian, but until I get a blood test I really won't know for sure what the full mixture is (and even then they only give probabilities).

Old
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Kraden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetheodore View Post
Guys that wear crosses that I've noticed:

Madden
Elias
Ovechkin
Mike Richards
Arnott
Here's an interview with Ovechkin where he says that he's a christian:
Go to 19:38
http://viastream.player.mtgnewmedia....50&PayStatus=1

Last edited by Kraden: 07-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old
07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
All black people aren't just black. Hutus and Tutsis might have some things to say about that.

Unless somebody comes from a very isolated community, it's pretty hard to pinpoint somebody's exact ethnicity today.

My great-grandfather is Sicilian , I was looking at a picture of him the other day and it struck me that he had a lot of features associated with black people. I asked my mom and she said his wife first met him in 1920 or so, she thought he was black.

Right now I say I'm Italian, Irish, and Hungarian, but until I get a blood test I really won't know for sure what the full mixture is (and even then they only give probabilities).
That's because the island of Sicily was very mixed compared to the rest of Italy, it had a heavy Arab and African populations in there which explains the different looks from the rest of Italy.

I have a friend who's Sicilian, but he looks more like an Arab or an Indian than an Italian.

Old
07-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Dima87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden View Post
Here's an interview with Ovechkin where he says that he's a christian:
Go to 19:38
http://viastream.player.mtgnewmedia....50&PayStatus=1
Well obviously, virtually all Russians belogn to the Orthodox Christian faith.

Old
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Dima87*

Quote:
Ethnically, Georges Laraque & Simon Gagne are different. One is black & one is white. However, Jeff Halpern and Steve Yzerman aren't ethnically different. One is white and the other is white - even if one is Jewish and the other isn't.
White is a racial category, or caucasian to be exact. Russia, German, Scottish, etc are ethnic groups.

Old
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Dima87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Ok, just because someone has a Jewish sound name it does not mean they're Jewish, in fact it's quite the opposite because European Jews have mostly Euro names, not ethnic Jewish names, a lot of them took the name of the town they came from or the profession of the family.

In the case of Yzerman which sounds very Jewish, it's actually German and it means Iron-Man I think, and to prove this, if you go look up Mathieu Schneider's profiles all over the net, you'll see that he's the highest point producer in the NHL as a Jew, if Yzerman was Jewish he would have that title.
There isn't one person with the name of Goldstein for example that doesn't have Jewish ancestry. Most European Jews have German sounding last names because that's where their first settlement was, in Germany. Their language is very similiar to German as well.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:

I assume you say you're Italian, Irish & Hungarian because that's where your ancestors came from. But what if I'm born and raised in Australia to Australian parents whose parents emigrated there from the United States. Would I be American or Australian?

Old
07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima87 View Post
There isn't one person with the name of Goldstein for example that doesn't have Jewish ancestry. Most European Jews have German sounding last names because that's where their first settlement was, in Germany. Their language is very similiar to German as well.
Not true. Adoptive children and women who marry into families with the name Goldstein could easily not have Jewish ancestry.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Kraden

Quote:
Well obviously, virtually all Russians belogn to the Orthodox Christian faith.
Yeah I guess.

Still, it's funny to hear him answer the question: Are you religious? He replies: No, I'm christian.

Though I don't blame him as the reporter speaks poor English.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Dima87*

Quote:
I assume you say you're Italian, Irish & Hungarian because that's where your ancestors came from. But what if I'm born and raised in Australia to Australian parents whose parents emigrated there from the United States. Would I be American or Australian?
American and Australian arent ethnicities though, they're nationalities. I wouldn't classify Americans as an ethnic group. Controversial subject.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Dima87*

Quote:
Not true. Adoptive children and women who marry into families with the name Goldstein could easily not have Jewish ancestry.
Well yea, I guess you're right.

Old
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Birko19

Quote:
I guess you're talking about Yiddish, and maybe Goldstein is only used by Jews, there are plenty of other popular Jewish names in North America that are in fact very popular among Germans too, Schneider is one for example.

I guess it's safe to say that European Jews are a mix of Europeans and Middle Easterners who lived in Europe.

Old
07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Mortal Fear*

Forsberg scores major points for being athiest in my book.

Old
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
He's Swedish right?

Aren't most of them atheist.. Same deal with Fins right?

I think the word is secular.. I think. I'm sure someone's brought it up in this thread.. I think I'll read now.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Bonsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden View Post
Yeah I guess.

Still, it's funny to hear him answer the question: Are you religious? He replies: No, I'm christian.

Though I don't blame him as the reporter speaks poor English.
There is a difference between one who follows the outward rules of a sect of Christianity and one who follows Christ.

I belong to the latter group. I am not religious at all - I just try and do what the Christian Scriptures say.

I know what it is like to be in deep depression, a drunken druggie, have no friends, dropout of high school, and many other things like cutting on myself and attempted suicide.

Now Jesus has healed me completely and I am full of peace and joy.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post

how did he do that?

Old
07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
My nationality is American.

My ethnicity is Italian, Irish, and Hungarian predominantly.

My cultural background is more American than anything else. I've been to Italy and while I loved the experience and family I have there, I did not feel anything close to culturally Italian. I'm eligible for an Italian passport through my grandmother and will apply for it because it's an incredible opportunity and will make traveling to, working in, and purchasing things in the EU a lot easier in the future.

The prevailing cultural influence from my ethnic heritage is Italian.

I speak a little bit of Italian, but nothing close to fluent and barely conversational.

If you're born and raised in Austria to Austrian parents then moved to the US? I guess you'd be ethnically _____ (depending on your family's ethnicity) and then your nationality would be Austrian or American depending on what's on your passport. Culturally, I would imagine you'd most likely be Austrian if you had spent the majority of your life their.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
He's Swedish right?

Aren't most of them atheist.. Same deal with Fins right?

I think the word is secular.. I think. I'm sure someone's brought it up in this thread.. I think I'll read now.
Secular and atheist are very different concepts.
Atheists deny the existence of god. Secularists believe in a god, but do not follow the conventions of a given religion.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
That's because the island of Sicily was very mixed compared to the rest of Italy, it had a heavy Arab and African populations in there which explains the different looks from the rest of Italy.

I have a friend who's Sicilian, but he looks more like an Arab or an Indian than an Italian.
I always knew that about Italy. My great-grandmother had flaming red hair which was kind of outside the norm for Sicily. While we thought that it could be possible that we had African or Arab descendants, none of it was too glaring in our physical make-up. That side of the family looks pretty stereotypically Italian for the most part. It was just surprising looking at my great-grandfather and seeing that because I remember him from when he was in his late 70s and 80s. The picture I saw was from his late teens (his wedding photo).

Now my future wife is African and Native American mostly. Eventually we're both getting blood tests to see what the complete mosaic is. It's something I think is good for our kids to know waaaaay in the future..

Wow....people on HFBoards know a ridiculous amount about me right now.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Bonsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
how did he do that?
I don't know! I don't have all the answers. All I can say is that He is God - He can do cool stuff like that. There is a verse that says God will give you a peace that transcends all understanding.

That is the Christian belief system at least. I happen to share it.

And it is from personal experience that I speak. Christianity was never supposed to be a religion, but the story of mankind's redemption and a personal relationship with God and the "Holy Guest."

I have many friends who have had similar experiences.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
American and Australian arent ethnicities though, they're nationalities. I wouldn't classify Americans as an ethnic group. Controversial subject.
Well, Irish, Italian and Hungarian aren't ethnicities. Those are also nationalities. If the ancestors of Vakar Lajos came from Ireland, Italy and Hungary, but he was born and raised in the USA, then by your rationale, he is American. But he claims to be Irish, Italian and Hungarian. Which is correct?

Old
07-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
What exactly is an Atheist?

Old
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
There is a difference between one who follows the outward rules of a sect of Christianity and one who follows Christ.

I belong to the latter group. I am not religious at all - I just try and do what the Christian Scriptures say.

I know what it is like to be in deep depression, a drunken druggie, have no friends, dropout of high school, and many other things like cutting on myself and attempted suicide.

When you say that Jesus healed you, do you mean that metaphorically or literally? If literally, do you mean 'healed' in the same context as when a wound heals? Or perhaps when a doctor performs surgery on you and you are healed as a result of the surgery?

Old
07-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
My nationality is American.

My ethnicity is Italian, Irish, and Hungarian predominantly.

My cultural background is more American than anything else. I've been to Italy and while I loved the experience and family I have there, I did not feel anything close to culturally Italian. I'm eligible for an Italian passport through my grandmother and will apply for it because it's an incredible opportunity and will make traveling to, working in, and purchasing things in the EU a lot easier in the future.

The prevailing cultural influence from my ethnic heritage is Italian.

I speak a little bit of Italian, but nothing close to fluent and barely conversational.

If you're born and raised in Austria to Austrian parents then moved to the US? I guess you'd be ethnically _____ (depending on your family's ethnicity) and then your nationality would be Austrian or American depending on what's on your passport. Culturally, I would imagine you'd most likely be Austrian if you had spent the majority of your life their.
I could be wrong, but I suspect your ethnicity isn't Hungarian, Italian & Irish, but Caucasian. Using your logic, one who is born & raised in Australia, but whose grandparents all emigrated from the USA would have an ethnicity of American. But what if his grandparents ancestors came to the USA from Hungary. Would he have an ethnicity of Hungarian? If he's Hungarian, then your ethnicity isn't Hungarian, Irish & Italian, but whatever area your ancestors emigrated from to Hungary, Ireland & Italy. If his ethnicity is American, then couldn't your ethnicity be American too?

Old
07-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:
Secular and atheist are very different concepts.
Atheists deny the existence of god. Secularists believe in a god, but do not follow the conventions of a given religion.
How do atheists define the God they deny the existence of?

Closed Thread