HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Has Begun

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2008, 08:18 AM
  #1
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
Free Agency Has Begun

post your news here.

Shelley, Lilja, and Gaustad resigned with their current teams last night. That's the latest, and the only news so far.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
  #2
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Just to clarify, free agency doesn't actually begin until Noon today.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
  #3
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
RFA Blueliner Mike Green re-ups with Washington for 4 years at $5.25 mil per. Well, at least one SE Division key RFA defensemen wants to stay with his team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2421...=topStory_main

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:41 AM
  #4
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
RFA Blueliner Mike Green re-ups with Washington for 4 years at $5.25 mil per. Well, at least one SE Division key RFA defensemen wants to stay with his team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2421...=topStory_main
$5.25 million for one good year... Better hope it wasn't a fluke.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:50 AM
  #5
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Assuming the cap doesn't go up next year and even saying Bouwmeester is going to sign for 7 million, we will be 20 million under the cap next offseason!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
  #6
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Assuming the cap doesn't go up next year and even saying Bouwmeester is going to sign for 7 million, we will be 20 million under the cap next offseason!
And we may just be in the running for Tavares!

I saw Mike Green signed for 4 years, 5.25 per year - ! That's as much as Olli. Green had 18 goals, 38 assists last year just to show you the money these FAs get compared to production. It makes Olli's deal look pretty darn sweet...granted Green is a D man, but it still shows how good a deal we had with Jokinen.


Last edited by FlaPanthers7: 07-01-2008 at 10:34 AM.
FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
  #7
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
And we may just be in the running for Tavares!

I saw Mike Green signed for 4 years, 5.25 per year - ! That's as much as Olli. Green had 18 goals, 38 assists last year just to show you the money these FAs get compared to production. It makes Olli's deal look pretty darn sweet...
That's fine. I'll take Tavares in 09/10 plus some sweet FAs.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
  #8
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
The question about Green is: What does it mean for Bouwmeester? Does it inflate his price as he is more defense-oriented and more experienced, or does it lower his price as he doesn't put up the numbers that Green does?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:57 AM
  #9
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
The question about Green is: What does it mean for Bouwmeester? Does it inflate his price as he is more defense-oriented and more experienced, or does it lower his price as he doesn't put up the numbers that Green does?
Good point. I think Baltimore (his agent) is still looking at Phaneuf's deal as the marker, but the Panthers look at Green's deal & the production numbers to try to meet somewhere in the middle. If anything, I think it could pave the way for some compromise...that is, if Jay is even willing to sign beyond 1 year.

Rolston turned down Tampa's 4 mill per year offer...that's good news. He is the best FA available for this team's needs. Face it, we're not signing Hossa, so let's replace Olli's salary with the best 2-way forward on the market in Rolston. I could def be okay with 4-5 mill per for him and you could put an A or a C on his jersey immediately too.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
  #10
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Rolston turned down Tampa's 4 mill per year offer...that's good news. He is the best FA available for this team's needs. Face it, we're not signing Hossa, so let's replace Olli's salary with the best 2-way forward on the market in Rolston. I could def be okay with 4-5 mill per for him and you could put an A or a C on his jersey immediately too.
Honestly, out of desperation I would offer Rolston 5 million. I mean he scored more than Malone while not playing with Crosby/Malkin and would provide the much needed leadership for us. Plus, he would replace Olli's big slapper on the point for our powerplay.

Sadly, it won't happen.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
  #11
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Honestly, out of desperation I would offer Rolston 5 million. I mean he scored more than Malone while not playing with Crosby/Malkin and would provide the much needed leadership for us. Plus, he would replace Olli's big slapper on the point for our powerplay.

Sadly, it won't happen.
Sadly, I agree. Brunette is my backup hope - he's like a poor man's Rolston, won't score as much but is a hard-working guy and can step up his play as he did during the Avs playoff run.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:27 AM
  #12
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again
 
NJ_CATS_FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: N.J.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,817
vCash: 500
I would like to bring in either Rolston or Sundin. Both are proven, veteran leaders and this team really needs one of them. They are both older, but both still put up good numbers. I want to see us bring in either one, they would do wonders for this team.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
  #13
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
I would like to bring in either Rolston or Sundin. Both are proven, veteran leaders and this team really needs one of them. They are both older, but both still put up good numbers. I want to see us bring in either one, they would do wonders for this team.
Sundin is going to a Cup contender, not a rebuilder like us. Niewy & Roberts had both won Cups when they came here & Sundin hasn't, so there's no reason for him to sign here when he can go for a Cup in his last years. He'll go to Detroit or one of the big market contenders.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
  #14
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
I would like to bring in either Rolston or Sundin. Both are proven, veteran leaders and this team really needs one of them. They are both older, but both still put up good numbers. I want to see us bring in either one, they would do wonders for this team.
Sadly, Sundin is going to get at least 6 million. I think everyone is going to be shocked how much money he gets.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
  #15
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
Pandolfo and Salvador re-up with the Devils.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/signings_2008/

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
  #16
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
We won't be bringing in anyone, just deal with the disappointment now instead of later. Does this organization ever fail to disappoint? Think about last year when we actually expected free agent signings and look what we got. This year, Martin has hinted on many occasions that he will re-evaluate the roster and look at some free agents but always citing that the young kids are ready to step in. Face it, we won't be signing anyone.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
  #17
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Raffi Torres was just traded to Columbus!!!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
  #18
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Rolston has told the 'ning he intends to go past the noon deadline and field offers ...

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:03 PM
  #19
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
We won't be bringing in anyone, just deal with the disappointment now instead of later. Does this organization ever fail to disappoint? Think about last year when we actually expected free agent signings and look what we got. This year, Martin has hinted on many occasions that he will re-evaluate the roster and look at some free agents but always citing that the young kids are ready to step in. Face it, we won't be signing anyone.
lol. preemptive depression. i'd wait until september before slipping into deep depression if i were you; not signing rolston or whoever doesn't mean we won't do anything to improve the roster this summer. and if we don't end doing anything, you still don't *know* what we're gonna have until the boys step on the ice in late september. not doing anything may be the smartest move right now. may be.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:07 PM
  #20
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Wings re-sign Brad Stuart

Joni Pitkanen traded for Erik Cole

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:13 PM
  #21
PanthersFanatic12
Registered User
 
PanthersFanatic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Wings re-sign Brad Stuart

Joni Pitkanen traded for Erik Cole
YES , ERIC COLE is gone from the south east . He cant be a panther killer anymore.

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:22 PM
  #22
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
Pascal Dupuis resigns with Pittsburgh
Corey Perry resigns with Anaheim.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:23 PM
  #23
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
Huet rewards the Caps' faith in him during the playoffs by testing the free agent waters...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/07/01/huet_rolston/

wonder who the Caps will turn to now, since Kolzig's already left town?

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
  #24
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
YES , ERIC COLE is gone from the south east . He cant be a panther killer anymore.
Also, he can't -- you know -- do that thing that he does that we all hate so much...

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
  #25
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again
 
NJ_CATS_FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: N.J.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
YES , ERIC COLE is gone from the south east . He cant be a panther killer anymore.
I wonder how long before he teaches the Oilers the Hurricanes diving ways.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.