HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps re-sign Mike Green, 4 years ~$21M

Old
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
What a terrible deal. They could have traded him for a couple of draft picks instead. Just imagine the possibilities! Now all lost. Not to even mention that Green is now going to block the development of several Caps kids like Boumedienne.
This has to be a joke, right?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:16 AM
captain AARON MAIDEN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Defenseman: Scoring Leaders - 2007-2008 Regular Season
Code:
             Goals   Assists    Points    +/-    SALARY IN 2009     CAP NUMBER

Lidstrom     10       60         70       40          $7.60 M                $7.60 M
Gonchar     12       53         65       13          $6.00 M                $5.00 M
Streit        13       49         62       -6             UFA                     UFA
Campbell     8        54         62        8             UFA                     UFA
Phaneuf     17       43         60       12          $7.00 M                $6.50 M
Markov      16       42         58         1          $5.75 M                $5.75 M
Green        18         38           56          6                 ?                          $5.25 M
Rafalski      13       42         55       27          $6.00 M                $6.00 M
Phaneuf vs Green - 2007-2008 LAST 60 GAMES
Code:
             Goals   Assists    Points    +/-    PPG   PPA   GWG    Ice time

Phaneuf     13       35         48        8        8     18      4       >26:00
Green        15       34         49       14       7     14      4       >26:00
Obviously Green still needs a lot of work in his own end, but then most 22yo defenseman do.

Burns>>>>>>Green
+Burns only 3,55/year

captain AARON MAIDEN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post

Really?
It was HFBoards satire. So believable it's hard to distinguish from the real thing, which says a lot about this forum, I guess. I thought the bit about Boumedienne would make the irony obvious as he's 30.

Honestly though, I thought it was the type of deal that was always going to happen with the offer sheet monsters lurking in the alleys ready to pounce. Nothing shocking or extraordinary.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
dcsfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
lol 5+ million for a guy with no defensive abilities..just ridiculous.
He was quite a bit better in the 2nd half of the season than the first in his own end.

What is ridiculous is to say that he has no defensive abilities.

dcsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
The kid led the Caps in ice time and was +14 in the 61 games after Boudreau took over. Exactly what do you base you "no defensive abilities" comment on?

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
This whole "Green can't play defense", myth is perpetuated by the fact that he's an offensive defenseman that people don't watch a whole lot. He played badly in the playoffs for him but he's a young player and sometimes those things happen. Joe Corvo has the same reputation and from watching him for the final 25 games of the season I really can't think of one time he messed up that cost Carolina a game. Same with Washington. I watched them down the stretch more than any other team aside from Carolina and while Mike Green isn't a star in his own end YET.... he certainly would be in the lineup even if he didn't contribute a whole lot of offense. He was better than guys like Eminger and Pothier when he was healthy.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
It was HFBoards satire. So believable it's hard to distinguish from the real thing, which says a lot about this forum, I guess. I thought the bit about Boumedienne would make the irony obvious as he's 30.

Honestly though, I thought it was the type of deal that was always going to happen with the offer sheet monsters lurking in the alleys ready to pounce. Nothing shocking or extraordinary.
It was pretty obvious. This crowd can be a tad dense sometimes.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

You're ignorance is what's ridiculous.

Green isn't Sandis Ozolinsh or Andy Delmore v2.0. He's obviously not a finished product at the age of 22, and struggled in the P/O's, but he's at least average defensvily IMO. And like it's been said - he plays a physical game as well. I made this comparison in December, but I'd bet that Green becomes Brian Leetch 2.0 with a nasty streak.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain AARON MAIDEN View Post
Burns>>>>>>Green
+Burns only 3,55/year
Didn't Burns struggle in the play-off's as well? I agree that Burns is a better defensively than Green at this point, but the difference certainly isn't >>>>>>>, and while it's great that Burns gave the Wild a discount, this is a business and I'd bet that Green outproduces that contract.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
oandb18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
The kid led the Caps in ice time and was +14 in the 61 games after Boudreau took over. Exactly what do you base you "no defensive abilities" comment on?
Watching him play, maybe?

Crazy to think you can learn something about a player by watching him, instead of looking at stats.

oandb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
oandb18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMurp View Post

nice open ice hipcheck - i think that qualifies as a defensive play, yes?
I convinced now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwygF6dOCQ8

I guess this fight means Briere and Comrie are goons.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oandb18 View Post

Crazy to think you can learn something about a player by watching him, instead of looking at stats.
As a watcher of Caps hockey, what would you say is the weakest part of Green's defensive game? Where is he vulnerable and what's the secret to getting by him? What kinds of players does he struggle with?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:49 AM
oandb18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
As a watcher of Caps hockey, what would you say is the weakest part of Green's defensive game? Where is he vulnerable and what's the secret to getting by him? What kinds of players does he struggle with?
Anyone that hits.

Hit Green and he folds faster than superman on laundry day.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Roccoman

Quote:
I convinced now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwygF6dOCQ8

I guess this fight means Briere and Comrie are goons.
you said it, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oandb18

as someone who has watched him play since his 1st preseason NHL game & as a former Caps season ticket holder, i qualify.

curious, how many games have you seen Green play in person? and my seats were right behind Olie twice (which was painful at times) so i got lotsa looks at our defense & Green.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Roccoman

Quote:
Anyone that hits.

haha ok, you've convinced me now.

btw, in case you want to figure out who we are talking about: its the last hockey player entry

Old
07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Anyone that hits.

That's really not true at all. You're taking that from the Caps Flyers series where the announcers said repeatedly that hitting Green was the only way to slow down his offense; which is absolutely true.

We're talking about his defense. Yes, hitting him through through the neutral zone absolutely kills his even strength offense, but it really doesn't do anything to his defense.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
ryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like Green. He's from my hometown and I've met him multiple times, but there is a reason he didn't get any icetime in the 3rd period of the WHC gold medal game despite the fact that he was Canadas defence point leader in the tourney. He's currently weak defensively and has a hard(er than most Dmen) time defending elite skill or power. Sure, he can improve on that but he's currently closer to Brian Campbell or Lubomir Visnovsky than he is to Zdeno Chara or Dion Phaneuf.

Great signing for the Caps though.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i cant believe the contracts that are being given after one good season, its god damn ridiculous.
Players are being paid on potential and not what they have done.

Its like they becomes multiple millionaires before they even REALLY start playing.
ha, maybe u mean the rookies in the nfl, they dont play a single drive and already have their money. i think its a kind of both, good season + potential, 20 million - 4 years its ok.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like Green. He's from my hometown and I've met him multiple times, but there is a reason he didn't get any icetime in the 3rd period of the WHC gold medal game despite the fact that he was Canadas defence point leader in the tourney. He's currently weak defensively and has a hard(er than most Dmen) time defending elite skill or power. Sure, he can improve on that but he's currently closer to Brian Campbell or Lubomir Visnovsky than he is to Zdeno Chara or Dion Phaneuf.

agreed... at 22 i expect defensive improvement over the next 4 years (term of the contract) and think that by year 4, this will be a very good deal for the Caps.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Makes Whitney at 4 million over the next 5 look a lot better.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Ovie's Neighbor

Ahhh good ole HF gm's man they are so smart it is odd we do not see more of them in places like Toronto. I mean really what are the Caps supposed to do. Let another team sign him to an offer sheet and then get picks. The only young defenseman we have drafted so far that has panned out is Green and then we just let him go for more uncertainty? Makes no sense. His agent knows he had the upper hand and he flexed his muscle. Of course he is overpaid some but not by that much and it is only a 4 year deal so if he doesnt play well it is not the end of the world. But oh well nobody agrees on everything in life so to those who think it is a bad deal only time will tell.

Ovie's Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Makes Whitney at 4 million over the next 5 look a lot better.
Last year it seemed like overpayment. Now, even though his play regressed for most of the year, it looks like a steal.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
You might think so, but there was a scouting report before the 07-08 season that listed Boumedienne as one of the Caps' top defensive prospects.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
7 points in 7 games is pretty good for a guy who "struggled" defensively (it's true, he did).

I'll make it known that he provided some CLUTCH offense.

They call him "game over" for a reason.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post

Ah, so that's why you got outscored 2-0 in the 3rd.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote