HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Habs Lounge and Le Cabaret, Part VI... Return of the Rabbi (Brisebois edition).

View Poll Results: Who loves who more??
Beaker loves LW more 11 52.38%
LW loves Beaker more 7 33.33%
Tie 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2008, 06:23 PM
  #451
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Anyone going to Dylan ? Nov.18 ?

I understand that I'm in a minority here, just curious, I'm thinking about ordering tickets Saturday. I'd decided against it as I've been often over the last 10 years, but the younger child is applying some pressure and it's hard to say no, esp. if it means I've got another convert.
Is it true Theres a concert in Kingston too?? Will you make an appearance here??

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
  #452
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'd finish the engineering degree and worry about getting an LL.B later.
I think that would probably be the wisest decision. But yeah, I would be the right age, I'd have a great degree and I could finance my studies by working a decent job thanks to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
...
I got a few question.

How's the work load in a semester? Would someone have time to train(most likely) or work part time(12 to 20 hours per)?

I heard there are a ton of extra-curricular activities and opportunities for driven people, what are they? The ones I read about seemed very, very interesting.


Last edited by Little Nilan: 10-02-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Little Nilan is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
  #453
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Is it true Theres a concert in Kingston too?? Will you make an appearance here??
He's in Kingston the previous Saturday, that might make more sense I guess. Maybe a bit more driving but..... I'll have to make up my mind today I guess, depends of whether both young'uns attend, if that's the case, it's gotta be Montreal.

I'd like to go to Kingston though, might be fun. Hmm, maybe K. would like to see Queen's.

mcphee is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 11:48 AM
  #454
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Can you pm me your phone number again.
To me too?







Kareem,

Why do you want to leave engineering? I think the answer to that will help determine whether you'll like law or not.

Fido22 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
  #455
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
So did anyone watch the debate between Joe Biden and Caribou Barbie last night?

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 01:13 PM
  #456
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
So did anyone watch the debate between Joe Biden and Caribou Barbie last night?
Nope, watched the canadian debate.

Didn't see many interesting highlights of the US vice-presidentials. Anything good?

Fido22 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
  #457
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
I think that would probably be the wisest decision. But yeah, I would be the right age, I'd have a great degree and I could finance my studies by working a decent job thanks to it.

I got a few question.

How's the work load in a semester? Would someone have time to train(most likely) or work part time(12 to 20 hours per)?

I heard there are a ton of extra-curricular activities and opportunities for driven people, what are they? The ones I read about seemed very, very interesting.
I did very little actual work or reading while at law school.. but I did attend every single class and participate in the life of the faculty as much as possible. You have ample time for a 15hour a week job.

McGill law school has its own research council, newspaper, sports teams etc.. if its just basic extra stuff.

+ You can work with or for The Quebec Air and Space law hq and the comparative studies hq + the McGill law journal which are all top legal research institutions.

That's while you're studying... I don't know what type of extra-curriculur you're alluding to?

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 02:39 PM
  #458
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Nope, watched the canadian debate.

Didn't see many interesting highlights of the US vice-presidentials. Anything good?
I PVR'd the Canadian debate and watched it later -

The Biden/Palin debate was the definition of substance vs. style, a testament to the sorry fact that people who pander to the common denominator and perform well on TV are given credit for having far more gravitas than is merited.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:22 PM
  #459
ROEN
HabsHQ
 
ROEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
So did anyone watch the debate between Joe Biden and Caribou Barbie last night?
Saw it !

But had an early shift ... 4 A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I PVR'd the Canadian debate and watched it later -

The Biden/Palin debate was the definition of substance vs. style, a testament to the sorry fact that people who pander to the common denominator and perform well on TV are given credit for having far more gravitas than is merited.
+1 on that


Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
ROEN is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:37 PM
  #460
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The Biden/Palin debate was the definition of substance vs. style, a testament to the sorry fact that people who pander to the common denominator and perform well on TV are given credit for having far more gravitas than is merited.
I actually can't tell who you're talking about.

I've always found Biden to come off as having substance backed gravitas. From the little I know of Palin, she has neither. She does have an odd "Texas" accent/manner of speach though. Must be an Alaskan thing.

Fido22 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
  #461
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I PVR'd the Canadian debate and watched it later -

The Biden/Palin debate was the definition of substance vs. style, a testament to the sorry fact that people who pander to the common denominator and perform well on TV are given credit for having far more gravitas than is merited.
Which is which?

I find Biden has both the substance AND the style*..


*Unless you're talking about her visual appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I actually can't tell who you're talking about.

I've always found Biden to come off as having substance backed gravitas. From the little I know of Palin, she has neither. She does have an odd "Texas" accent/manner of speach though. Must be an Alaskan thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Which is which?

I find Biden has both the substance AND the style..
As usual dog.. you complete me!

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
  #462
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 50
as usual banana, you double post

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
  #463
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
as usual banana, you double post
No way. I protest this decision Mr. mod sir.

The point of that double post was specifically to highlight the two previous posts made by me and Fido. The way you have it now.. a part of the post is quoted in the same post. Its confusing and it loses all its humour and laugh inducing effect.

It was not spam in any way.. and I please respectfully ask you to unmerge me.

Thank you,

AD


Last edited by AD: 10-03-2008 at 03:51 PM.
AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:54 PM
  #464
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Which is which?

I find Biden has both the substance AND the style*..


*Unless you're talking about her visual appeal.
One person in the debate is defined by a total lack of substance and isn't Biden.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
  #465
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
One person in the debate is defined by a total lack of substance and isn't Biden.
Yes, but you also defined the other person as having the style. Which they also didn't. Hence the confusing nature of your post.

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM
  #466
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Yes, but you also defined the other person as having the style. Which they also didn't. Hence the confusing nature of your post.
Dear Mr. Semantics:

Style in this instance = completely baffling popular appeal.

Sincerely,

habfan4

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
  #467
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Dear Mr. Semantics:

Style in this instance = completely baffling popular appeal.

Sincerely,

habfan4
You call it semantics. I call it precision.

And I think even popular opinion (yes even american popular opinion) is bound to catch up on this one.

I mean.. come on.

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:08 PM
  #468
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
You call it semantics. I call it precision.

And I think even popular opinion (yes even american popular opinion) is bound to catch up on this one.

I mean.. come on.
For the sake of clarity, I will use "defined terms" whenever a vague word is employed. Whenever used in this post, the following words and terms shall have the meanings set out below:

"obtuse" - See AymanD's behaviour.
"post" - means this post and no other post.

I honestly don't know if the popular opinion is going to catch up, some people (although there is no telling how many) actually buy into Palin's folksy BS.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
  #469
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
For the sake of clarity, I will use "defined terms" whenever a vague word is employed. Whenever used in this post, the following words and terms shall have the meanings set out below:

"obtuse" - See AymanD's behaviour.
"post" - means this post and no other post.


I honestly don't know if the popular opinion is going to catch up, some people (although there is no telling how many) actually buy into Palin's folksy BS.
So I was supposed to infer from the comment "substance v style" that style meant "popular opinion perception"!

as opposed to the nomal and usual meaning of stlye. Even Fido agree with me.

I don't think so mon ami. Your twised and salty attempts to get out of this mess have failed.

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
  #470
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I actually can't tell who you're talking about.

I've always found Biden to come off as having substance backed gravitas. From the little I know of Palin, she has neither. She does have an odd "Texas" accent/manner of speach though. Must be an Alaskan thing.
I'm either missing the sarcasm from you and AD or I had a few too many lunch martinis (or some combination of both), I thought it was clear that I was talking about Palin.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
  #471
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'm either missing the sarcasm from you and AD or I had a few too many lunch martinis (or some combination of both), I thought it was clear that I was talking about Palin.
1- The dog and I are both sarcastic idiots and you should know that

2- You're a drunk and should know that as well

3- Your use of "style v substance" was awkwad at best

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
  #472
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
So I was supposed to infer from the comment "substance v style" that style meant "popular opinion perception"!

as opposed to the nomal and usual meaning of stlye. Even Fido agree with me.

I don't think so mon ami. Your twised and salty attempts to get out of this mess have failed.
Would you use the term "substance" to describe Sarah Palin? If yes, then I was being vague, if not, then you should have been able to connect the dots. I also referred to her as "Caribou Barbie" in my first post, which was a pretty unambiguous clue about my opinion of her.

Time for a beer.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:19 PM
  #473
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Would you use the term "substance" to describe Sarah Palin? If yes, then I was being vague, if not, then you should have been able to connect the dots. I also referred to her as "Caribou Barbie" in my first post, which was a pretty unambiguous clue about my opinion of her.

Time for a beer.


Both the dog and I understood who you meant. And both of us were pointing out that you shouldn't have said that she has style.

I need some scotch.

AD is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
  #474
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post


Both the dog and I understood who you meant. And both of us were pointing out that you shouldn't have said that she has style.

I need some scotch.
Did you break out the face palm smilie on me?

You're dead to me AymanD.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
  #475
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I did very little actual work or reading while at law school.. but I did attend every single class and participate in the life of the faculty as much as possible. You have ample time for a 15hour a week job.
Very nice, you don't how that contrasts with engineering school. I'm definitely doing my law degree once I finish with this. I've been interested in it since I was in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
McGill law school has its own research council, newspaper, sports teams etc.. if its just basic extra stuff.

+ You can work with or for The Quebec Air and Space law hq and the comparative studies hq + the McGill law journal which are all top legal research institutions.

That's while you're studying... I don't know what type of extra-curriculur you're alluding to?
I was thinking of mock trials and Moot court and those types of competitions which sounds like the kind of things I would really enjoy. Group and individual projects/competitions are things I thrive in, well that and academics. Thanks though, it's really helped.

Little Nilan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.