HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

could jagr be an option

Old
06-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Magic33

vCash: 500
unfortunately, i dont see sundin or hossa coming here.

Jagr is a toss up, when he feels like it, he can still dominate, but i dont think he feels like doing it to often.

If we could sign Brunette for 2-2.5 million (dont know how much hes making now) then we could spend some money elsewhere also. Brunette would be a solid pickup.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Jagr

*sigh...*

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:52 PM
AK

As a Pens fan, any one of them (Hossa, Jagr, Sundin) scares me to death on the Habs. Habs probably become the favorite to win the East.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Maliki2

This is getting old and pathetic.....you'd think we were the mecca of hockey, but we all know Toronto is the center of the hockey universe!

OMG Sundin

OMG Hossa

OMG Jagr

OMG Lecavalier

Can someone wooo Roy, and Lemeiux and Grets out of retirement while we are at it??

Oh yeah we settle with Tanguay. Umm...

As we have seen time and time again, we just can't score the FA that we need.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
Tucker is available....

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Mick Vokuta as well.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Whether you can understand why or why not, they (apparently) approached him before the Habs did, so it's kinda moot at this point. And if Sundin appears to be interested in the Rags, it must be as much because of a player like Jagr as anything (I'm sure he wouldn't pick NYR over the Habs just to play in front of Lundqvist). That's all I'm sayin'. We could easily end up with none of them, but if Sundin goes to the Rangers, it's because they found a way to pay both Jagr AND Sundin. I speculate, of course.
Sundin's agent (J-P Barry) ask to the Rangers if they would like to deal for Sundin rights. They refused.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I'd only read that Sundin's agent approached the Rags, not the other way around.
So, you assume that his agent approached 2 random teams, having no regard for whatever interest(s) his client might have? Interesting.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Sundin's agent (J-P Barry) ask to the Rangers if they would like to deal for Sundin rights. They refused.
Again, that implies interest on Sundin's part, and the refusal means nothing more than perhaps the NYR would rather throw their hat into the ring for free as of July 1st rather than bargain (and lose something) simply for rights to negotiate.

edit: anyhoooo, this point has been discussed ad nauseum. The NEW point of conversation is if Sundin refuses with the Habs, does that imply interest in the Rangers come July 1st (thus probably meaning Jagr is staying as well, and some sort of deal allowing them to co-exist on the same team will be attempted?) That's why I submit that Sundin refusing a Montreal offer MAY (I repeat, MAY) mean that Jagr is off the market as well.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Go Habs Go

I doubt the Rangers want Sundin. They need another D a lot more then another center. I can see them sign Redden or Cambell + Jagr and maybe an average checker.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

"Gainey also said the Canadiens were not in the market for San Jose defenceman Brian Campbell and that their priority is to find a centre like Sundin."

From TSN a couple days ago... which means if we don't get Sundin we won't go after Hossa or Jagr, instead we'll go for a CENTER which is what we need.

My suggestions would be for UFA's:

Brendan Morrison
Brian Rolston

Through trade:

Jaret Stoll
Jason Arnott

We don't need any lazy bad attitude guys like Jagr around the kids.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Again, that implies interest on Sundin's part, and the refusal means nothing more than perhaps the NYR would rather throw their hat into the ring for free as of July 1st rather than bargain (and lose something) simply for rights to negotiate.

edit: anyhoooo, this point has been discussed ad nauseum. The NEW point of conversation is if Sundin refuses with the Habs, does that imply interest in the Rangers come July 1st (thus probably meaning Jagr is staying as well, and some sort of deal allowing them to co-exist on the same team will be attempted?) That's why I submit that Sundin refusing a Montreal offer MAY (I repeat, MAY) mean that Jagr is off the market as well.
If the Rangers get Sundin, they are in major trouble. In a way I would like to see them signing Sundin, that mean that would have over 22 M$ dedicated to three very look alike center, a crappy defensive and a line up full of holes. But it won't happen.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I doubt the Rangers want Sundin. They need another D a lot more then another center. I can see them sign Redden or Cambell + Jagr and maybe an average checker.
Yea. I think that Wade Redden is going to NY with a top 6 forward (either Jagr, Huselius or Malone).

Old
06-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Kovalev
Tangauy - Koivu - Latendresse
Higgins - Chipchura - Jagr
A. Kostitsyn - Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn

Lol.. what the hell.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
No, I have not read anything that indicated that the Rangers approached the Leafs or Mats' agent directly. The only thing I've read is that Mats' agent (on behalf of Mats) asked the Leafs to speak to the Rangers, which they approved. Subsequent communication from the Rangers was that they were not interested in Mats at that time. I never implied that Mats' agent was approaching teams without Mats' interests in mind, only that what you stated (the Rangers approaching the Leafs/Mats) has not happened as per several sources.

Likewise, I have not read anything that said that Mats pre-approved the transfer of rights to the Habs. It was an arrangement between Toronto and Montreal, and Mats and his agent were not involved.
Gotcha. Still, regardless of who said what to who, I gotta believe that if Mats doesn't sign here, it could be NYR (many are suggesting Detroit, but I dunno...), and if he went to NYR, there is almost no way the Jagr is available for the Habs to sign. Personal speculation of course. Which is why I think the thread title is, well, moot. I have very little interest in discussing the logistics either way, as many have offered more than enough, but it certainly seems logical based on my assumption of what Mats will be looking for in a team IF he decides to play for sure next year. A Jagr-less Rags looks less appealing to me unless it means they use that money to get enough good players to sway Mats' decision process.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Certainly less appealing, but between Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist, Jagr and Mats, even if the latter two signed at reasonable rates, puts the Rangers at $33M for those 5 players, probably more.
Keep in mind they have, at the moment, zero top 6 wingers signed (unless you consider Prucha a top 6 winger, which you might). I just don't see it happening.

I don't want Jagr, this shouldn't be understood as me wanting him, but I think a destination of Detroit is far more likely for Sundin than the Rangers.

For what it's worth, Ludzig on The Spin believes Mats will end up in Montreal... but it might take until July 2.
Yup. Okay. We're on the same page, then. And I should clarify (or restate) that my issue wasn't necessarily with your arguments... just the title of this thread as it suggests a possibility that is a) extremely unappealing, and b) one of the least likely to happen anyway (especially depending on the result of this Sundin fiasco).

Old
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
*high five's OJ*

Old
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I just watched a replay of a NYR/NJ game from this past playoffs on NHLN. Let me tell you, he isn't pretty. I mean, maybe without logging huge minutes he'll be better come playoff time next season, but he was worn down and really wasn't that effective.
you must have seen maybe his 1 bad game, because through the first 2 rounds of th eplayoffs Jagr was the best player, and their was a significant gap between him and whoever else was next.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Certainly less appealing, but between Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist, Jagr and Mats, even if the latter two signed at reasonable rates, puts the Rangers at $33M for those 5 players, probably more.
Keep in mind they have, at the moment, zero top 6 wingers signed (unless you consider Prucha a top 6 winger, which you might). I just don't see it happening.

I don't want Jagr, this shouldn't be understood as me wanting him, but I think a destination of Detroit is far more likely for Sundin than the Rangers.

For what it's worth, Ludzig on The Spin believes Mats will end up in Montreal... but it might take until July 2.
I don't even think that Prucha's mother consider him as a top 6 forward lol

Old
06-27-2008, 12:59 AM
NewHabsEra*

We dont need another winger, we are set on the wings with the signing of Tanguay, thats a first class center or nothing..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Sthabs

Sundins agent said that Sundin only seemed to be interested in playin for 2 other teams than To. He hasnt officially declared that, but it was between the lines.
Nyr and Mtl. I dont see the Rags paying close to 30 Millions for 4 players (if they sign Sundin and Jagr)without solving their problems on defense and on the wings. Hossa?

Sundins wants to explore his options...

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:03 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Lets go after Brad Richards.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 01:30 AM
chairmanmeow

man if next years draft is deep then you don't trade up, you sit tight and keep your guys
ou don't break up a team that works well together you add some guys and hope they work
also having a deep team means you can deal with injuries, not that you should trade away guys

chairmanmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Habitants

im still stuck on Rolston

dont want jagr or hossa or sundin. not enough spotlight for them all lol

or im all for letting streit walk then signing Redden for 5mil

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Stephen Locke*

If the plan Sundin/Hossa fails to execution,I'd easily take Jagr in a heartbeat.

We'd be really stacked on the wings.Plus,how good your centres need to be when you've got wingers like Kovy,Higgins,Tanguay,Jagr and the Kost brothers?He's as good as Hossa imo,despite being older.But if Gainey signs Jagr,it will be a short term deal.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 06-27-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote