HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Old
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
The key to getting a raise is to play like **** in a contract year, Michael Ryder has proven this. He went from $2.2 mil I believe it was to 4 after a year when he was absolutely brutal.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
The key to getting a raise is to play like **** in a contract year, Michael Ryder has proven this. He went from $2.2 mil I believe it was to 4 after a year when he was absolutely brutal.
He did have an awful year. I guess Boston's hoping having Julien as his coach again will re-invigorate him.

Flames are bringing back Mark Giordano from Russia:

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Ryder made 3 this year I think after he took the habs to arbitration

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
Detroit wins the Hossa sweepstakes, one year, $7.4 mil.

Just let them keep the cup...

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Calgary signed Vandermeer, looks like 3 years for $6.9 mil. Vaananen's agent should be fired.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post
Detroit wins the Hossa sweepstakes, one year, $7.4 mil.

Just let them keep the cup...
No kidding...

Old
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Avery is on his way to Dallas. I am happy the cheapartist is out of conference

He's got four-year, $15.5 million contract.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Good riddence.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Niko37

Sens sign Tuomo's bro, 3yrs, 3.9 mil

Old
07-02-2008, 02:41 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko37 View Post
Sens sign Tuomo's bro, 3yrs, 3.9 mil
i wish we were in on that........thats a good price for a gritty fourth liner. We must not even have shown interest

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Niko37

Big news - Atlanta has signed someone! Ron Hainsey, 5 yrs @ $22.5 mil

Old
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Hainsey to Atlanta. 4.5 per over 5 years.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
i wish we were in on that........thats a good price for a gritty fourth liner. We must not even have shown interest
Both Ruutus on the same team would be awesome.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
totalkev

Quote:
The thing that makes the Ryder signing the worst of the UFA season in my opinion (yes, even worse than Jeff Finger), is that he was *untradeable* last year when he could've been had for basically nothing. He sat in the press box most nights, completely worthless, with a contract that was expiring.

So, how did the guy go to worthless with an expiring contract, to three-years at $4 million per *guaranteed* in a few months?

If Montreal thought he was untradeable at $3 million on a one-year deal, let's see how Boston feels about this one in six months.

I just find it unbelievable that there was any competition for Ryder over, say, $2 million per year. I can't imagine they were bidding against anybody but themselves.

At least with Finger, I can see how he would benefit most teams in the league, and there may have been *some* sort of bidding war.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Zherdev+Fritsche for Tyutin+Backman.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/07...raded_to.shtml

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hutchinson View Post

Outside of Tyutin, this trade looks bad from the Jackets perspective. What the heck is Howson doing?

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:

"And on this episode of What were they thinking..."

Old
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
Outside of Tyutin, this trade looks bad from the Jackets perspective. What the heck is Howson doing?
Agreed. Though this is good news if we want to move Kaberle. Backman is terrible and carries a high price for next season ($3.4M, though his cap hit is lower). Looks like defensemen are in very high demand.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
1. Columbus must want to bring Filatov over this year.

2. They're trying to build a Hitchcock defense first mentality.

3. They grew tired of the perpetual headache that was Zherdev and his constant whining and claims of discrimination.

However, with that said, the Rangers picked up a player today. It's like the Kovalev deal from NYR to Pittsburgh in reverse.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Man, if Backman and Tyutin can get Zherdev and Fritsche, Kaberle should be able to get a pretty good prospect back.

Holzapfel or Moller anyone?

The Rangers forward corps just improved big time on this one. Their defense is pretty bad now but it's the Rangers, they can just go out and sign someone, or play one of their prospects.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Would have loved Ruutu here on the 4th line for 1.3 per season. Pretty sure it would have been intriguing to get to play with his brother if he had the chance. Maybe JR didn't show any interest?

Would have rathered spent the $1 million we spent on Melichar and mustle up $300,000 to land Ruutu. (And I don't know, maybe not have made the fabulous signing of Brookbank?) Would have added some nice sandpaper to that forward crop. Especially considering it looks like Brookbank, Bayda (1 of the 2... or potentially both) will be there with potentially LaRose. Myself, if I were JR and seeing as how we lost out on Hordichuk, I would have worked on Ruutu (ESPECIALLY seeing as we dished Melichar $1 Million). Something tells me we could have potentially had him. Who knows.

All I know, is a 4th line of consisting of Sutter, LaRose & Ruutu would have been nice. Just my good ol' opinion.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
You are bringing up some points about that Melichar signing that raises this question: does signing a decent enforcer would have more impact on this team than doing an upgrade (hopefully) over Wallin? I think that if Hordichuk signed this team would have had a very positive effect on this team. Brookbank ain't going to cut it, and the Melichar signing doesn't look necessary unless Seidenberg clearly isn't going to be back. There are holes in Seidenberg's game that can't be fixed, however, so I'm not going to cry over that loss.

I would have blew my wad on Laraque.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
You are bringing up some points about that Melichar signing that raises this question: does signing a decent enforcer would have more impact on this team than doing an upgrade (hopefully) over Wallin? I think that if Hordichuk signed this team would have had a very positive effect on this team. Brookbank ain't going to cut it, and the Melichar signing doesn't look necessary unless Seidenberg clearly isn't going to be back. There are holes in Seidenberg's game that can't be fixed, however, so I'm not going to cry over that loss.

I would have blew my wad on Laraque.

Here is my point of view. While I know Wallin isn't great, and I know he is most certainly not a top 4 defenceman, I am alright with Nic being on our bottom pair. Personally, I would rather Wallin on the bottom pair than I would Kaberle. Wallin is no ace, but if he is put in the right situation that is right for his game and what he brings, he can be fairly solid back there. Problem is, is Wallin was playing top pairing minutes, or close to it.. and that makes him look horrendous, and rightfully so. You cannot play a bottom pairing guy 18+ minutes a night on average and not expect to see his many flaws. It is impossible in my opinion. Play him 12-13 minutes a night on a bottom pairing that suits him and he may be ok back there. I do like Nic as a bottom pairing guy when he is on his game (And for that he has to be coached correctly - put in the right position to excel) I like the physicality Wallin can demonstrate. There were quite a few times last season where Wallin was pretty good for us, and his physical play stood out. I liked that. Like I said, the guy is no ace, the guy is no top 2 pairing defenceman. But if he is used correctly I think he can be a pretty good bottom pairing guy. Just my opinion. I know a lot of people will disagree, some may agree, quite frankly I don't give a rats ass. To each their own.

Now, enough of me blabbing about Wallin.

My main point was this. We could have saved that $1 million we gave Melichar, saved Brookbanks marvelous $475,000 and bang, we could have just potentially signed Ruutu. We then still could have either 1. Kept Kaberle & Wallin and our top 6 would consist of: Gleason, Pitkanen, Corvo, Babchuk, Wallin & Kaberle. And we would have had one hell of a grinder/pest on that 4th line to go a long with what would have been a nice combo in Sutter & LaRose. Our overall salary cap would have been the same. Basically subtract Melichar & Brookbank and add Ruutu. Seems pretty simple to me. Now, if you still wanted to ship Wallin or Kaberle out of the picture, than fine. We would then still have Seidenberg or Borer to fill the #6 spot out and still have Conboy. I could live with that.

Now, all this talk of me pointing the convorsation to Ruutu is a tad off the wall because we don't know the talk behind the scenes. I am just simply saying I would have managed my assets a bit better than I believe JR did and took a good run at Ruutu.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-02-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

J.Ruutu got a three-year deal, while Melichar and Brookbank are both on one-year deals. That's probably what kept JR away. He doesn't want to have trouble signing Staal or whoever because we overpaid for a 4th liner.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
J.Ruutu got a three-year deal, while Melichar and Brookbank are both on one-year deals. That's probably what kept JR away. He doesn't want to have trouble signing Staal or whoever because we overpaid for a 4th liner.

Very true. I pondered that thought myself. Especially seeing as next year we have absolutely no UFA on our roster that make any sort of an impact, so it would look like our team salary cap will be on the rise due to Staals new contact and potentially Ruutu & Babs. So a rise from contracts within the budget already. Which is why we're rumored to potentially ship someone out from our defence. I can agree to that point.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-02-2008 at 08:57 PM.