HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Where do you think Oilers will stand at the end of the 08-09 season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
  #1
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,595
vCash: 500
Where do you think Oilers will stand at the end of the 08-09 season

Where do you think Oilers will stand after the 08-09 season is over. The chances of being 3rd are very high since all teams in our division got weak.

Wild - lost both Demitra and Roloston. 2 main players.

Flames- have no secondary scoring.

Avs - Horrible goaltending. If Sakic and Forsberg both dont retun they wont have to much offence either

Canucks - Have no scoring. Defence is average.


To me Oilers are the only team that seem to improve.

What do you guys think?

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
  #2
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Every team in division has strengths and weaknesses. I think we have the strongest offence in the division but the weakest defence.
It'll be entertaining if anything, we'll never be out of hockey games, but no lead will be safe with us. I think Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver will battle for the top spot. Minnesota and Colorado just lost too much.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
  #3
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Higher than last year

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
  #4
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
This is like the 4th thread in the past 2 days saying the Oilers will win the Northwest.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
  #5
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Near the bottom.

Hell, I think it's probably going to be a worse year than the 06-07. Good thing I'm already going to be an alcoholic because this next year's team...

I'm expecting the Kings to be MUCH better. The Flames to be better.

Yep. Good years ahead in Oil country.

__________________
"I channeled my inner Morneau, took the stick and hit the mother****** to the moooon!"
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
  #6
The Tourettes Guy
Registered User
 
The Tourettes Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Tourettes Guy
Oilers will finish 6th in a tight race for the Northwest, with Colorado taking the division and the Oilers 2nd. The 2 teams meet in the opening round and Colorado takes it in 6, with the younger Oilers (Gagner, Cogs, Nilsson, Grebber and Smid) getting valuable playoff experience under their belt.

The Tourettes Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
  #7
Offshore Oil
Registered User
 
Offshore Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Huh?

Why the love for Colorado? No Finger, no Sauer; Raycroft / Budaj ***? Sakic / Hejduk / Foote / Smyth fading...
Granted the younger players should continue to improve but no more so than the Oilers'
Colorado's defense is suspect and worse than the Oilers right now IMO

I'll predict:

Oilers 2nd in Div (after Minn), 7th in Conference. Face Dallas in round one in an epic 7 gamer...

It'll be a good year with steady improvement and fewer mistakes.
There just seems to be a wee swagger to this team again.


Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
  #8
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 11,998
vCash: 500
Well we should really hold up on these posts untill training camp opens. As for right now, I think the oilers are the only team to get better and every other team got worse, I think we will fight it out for the NW title.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
  #9
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,132
vCash: 500
I have to wait and see exactly what Minnesota and Vancouver end up doing before I can answer that.

And the Sakic situation could have a huge bearing on us also.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
  #10
Alex87
Registered User
 
Alex87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,918
vCash: 500
Well, as it stands right now it's WAY too early/unfair to predict, but I'd probably say that Vancouver will finish last (their roster sucks right now). My gut tells me that Colorado will win the division because they have the most well balanced team. Budaj isn't great but you could do a lot worse imo. Edmonton will do ok and I think they will likely be a 7th-9th seed team although my gut tells me that we're making the playoffs this year. Minnesota will finish second last. Either Calgary or Edmonton will get second seed.

Although I actually think that Edmonton is the only team that has made real concrete strides to improve... but it's still only July. I think the pressure is on Calgary, Minnesota, and DEFINITELY Vancouver to improve their roster by the fall.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
  #11
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Where do you think Oilers will stand after the 08-09 season is over. The chances of being 3rd are very high since all teams in our division got weak.

Wild - lost both Demitra and Roloston. 2 main players.

Flames- have no secondary scoring.

Avs - Horrible goaltending. If Sakic and Forsberg both dont retun they wont have to much offence either

Canucks - Have no scoring. Defence is average.


To me Oilers are the only team that seem to improve.

What do you guys think?
There are so many elements wrong with your analysis, I have a problem knowing where to start.

The canucks have average defense for instance....go off and do a little research.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
  #12
sync
Registered User
 
sync's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
like most years playoff spots will come down to the last 5-10 games.

08-09 will be no different i expect.

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
  #13
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,660
vCash: 500
If we're healthy, IMO we could make it to the Western Semi's or even the Western Finals with a whole lot of luck.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
  #14
Luongo4VP
 
Luongo4VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
If we sign another top-sixer, the divs all but ours

As of Right now we will examine the other teams forward corps, top 4's and goaltending:

Calgary:

Camalleri-Langkow-Iginla
Bourque-Lombardi-Boyd
Glencross-Conroy-Backlund
Greentree-Primeau-Nystrom

Phaneuf-Aucoin
Regehr-Sarich

Kiprusoff

Minny:

Brunette-Bouchard-Gaborik
Belanger-Koivu-Parrish
Veilleux-Sheppard-Radoviojevic
Weller-Walz-Pouliot

Burns-Zidlicky
Johnsson-Foster

Backstrom


Vancouver:

Sedin-Sedin-Pyatt
Raymond-Wellwood-Shannon
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger
Hordichuk-Rypien-Cowan

Ohlund-Bieksa
Salo-Edler

Luongo


Colorado:

Wolski-Stastny-Hejduk
Smyth-Arnason-Svatos
Tucker-Hensick-Guite
Hnlicka-Smith-Laperierre

Liles-Hannan
Salei-Clark

Raycroft


Edmonton:

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
Schremp-Cogliano-Brule
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani

We have two potential superstars running, a Power forward ,a great two-way centerman and a Skilled potent first liner in our top-six

Our bottom six has another scoring line (if Schremp Breaks camp, which is very likely) with tons of speed,skill,goal-scoring and creativity. Our fourth line is a very solid shutdown line/energy line which consists of Physicality,Smarts,Defensive awareness, and two-way play.

In terms of Minutes:
1st Line
2nd Line/4th Line
4th Line/2nd Line
3rd Line

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov

Both Pairings have size, Souray and Gilbert to contain top end forwards, and solid puck-movement in Lubo,Gibby and Grebs, Sandpaper in Souray and good mobility.

Garon

If he is healthy he should have a repeat of last year, if not better since this is his contract year.

Best Forward Depth:
Edmonton
Minnesota
Calgary
Vancouver
Colorado

Best Defensive Depth:
Vancouver
Minnesota
Calgary/Edmonton- tied for third
Colorado

Best Goaltending:
Vancouver
Minnesota
Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado

We are the front-runners offensively, in the middle of the pack Defensively and near the bottom on goaltending.

All-in-All Im thinking that the division rankings next year go by:

Minnesota
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Colorado

As of now, Colorado is definitely the worst in the division.

But who knows, well have to wait and see in September.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
  #15
Offshore Oil
Registered User
 
Offshore Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
If we sign another top-sixer, the divs all but ours

As of Right now we will examine the other teams forward corps, top 4's and goaltending:

Calgary:

Camalleri-Langkow-Iginla
Bourque-Lombardi-Boyd
Glencross-Conroy-Backlund
Greentree-Primeau-Nystrom

Phaneuf-Aucoin
Regehr-Sarich

Kiprusoff

Minny:

Brunette-Bouchard-Gaborik
Belanger-Koivu-Parrish
Veilleux-Sheppard-Radoviojevic
Weller-Walz-Pouliot

Burns-Zidlicky
Johnsson-Foster

Backstrom


Vancouver:

Sedin-Sedin-Pyatt
Raymond-Wellwood-Shannon
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger
Hordichuk-Rypien-Cowan

Ohlund-Bieksa
Salo-Edler

Luongo


Colorado:

Wolski-Stastny-Hejduk
Smyth-Arnason-Svatos
Tucker-Hensick-Guite
Hnlicka-Smith-Laperierre

Liles-Hannan
Salei-Clark

Raycroft


Edmonton:

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
Schremp-Cogliano-Brule
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani

We have two potential superstars running, a Power forward ,a great two-way centerman and a Skilled potent first liner in our top-six

Our bottom six has another scoring line (if Schremp Breaks camp, which is very likely) with tons of speed,skill,goal-scoring and creativity. Our fourth line is a very solid shutdown line/energy line which consists of Physicality,Smarts,Defensive awareness, and two-way play.

In terms of Minutes:
1st Line
2nd Line/4th Line
4th Line/2nd Line
3rd Line

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov

Both Pairings have size, Souray and Gilbert to contain top end forwards, and solid puck-movement in Lubo,Gibby and Grebs, Sandpaper in Souray and good mobility.

Garon

If he is healthy he should have a repeat of last year, if not better since this is his contract year.

Best Forward Depth:
Edmonton
Minnesota
Calgary
Vancouver
Colorado

Best Defensive Depth:
Vancouver
Minnesota
Calgary/Edmonton- tied for third
Colorado

Best Goaltending:
Vancouver
Minnesota
Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado

We are the front-runners offensively, in the middle of the pack Defensively and near the bottom on goaltending.

All-in-All Im thinking that the division rankings next year go by:

Minnesota
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Colorado

As of now, Colorado is definitely the worst in the division.

But who knows, well have to wait and see in September.
Agreed - nice analysis. All NW teams have major holes to fill except us... and the UFA options are rather underwhelming... we're just looking for that icing to take the Oil over the top. It's a nice feeling

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
  #16
mmmjays
 
mmmjays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
On Hossa's face!






just jokes.....

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
  #17
oilerfan17
Registered User
 
oilerfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
This is actually one year where knocking out the Wings would be even sweeter than it usually is. But, this is July. We shouldn't even be thinking about this until rosters are set in October. Still plenty of deals left to do.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:11 PM
  #18
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Western Conference Final Standings:

1 *Detroit
2 *Edmonton
3 *Anaheim
4 San Jose
5 Minnesota
6 Dallas
7 Chicago
8 Calgary

* denotes division champions.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:11 PM
  #19
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 50
parading down whyte ave with the stanley cup and rioting and looting and police brutality

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
  #20
Ssseth
Registered User
 
Ssseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
parading down whyte ave with the stanley cup and rioting and looting and police brutality
Save me a spot hanging from a power line brother.

Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
  #21
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
I don't think hitting the playoffs is too impossible.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
  #22
Luongo4VP
 
Luongo4VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
I dont think finishing 6th in the conference is too impossible

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
  #23
Harley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Battling for the eighth and final playoff spot as usual.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:19 AM
  #24
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cosmic
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 500
Between 1-15th in the Western Conference.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:19 AM
  #25
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Battling for the eighth and final playoff spot as usual.
yea its like this every year, the Oilers like to make things interesting

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.