HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pitkanen for Cole: TSN/NHL Network

Old
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Raoul Duke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
riiiiiiiight. just forget about all the other players in those deals. hahahaha Priceless
Jason Smith and Ladislav Smid? Amazing.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
****ing hilarious HF tendency, now that he's an Oiler, don't speak ill of Eric Cole - he's the best thing ever. He's not worth Joni Pitkanen.

He's not better than Dustin Penner.

And comparing him to Eric Lindros is absolutely idiotic. Can't wait for next year and he's in everyone's trade proposals. Can't wait for 2 years from now when everyone is crying that Lowe traded Joni Pitkanen.

It's a brutal trade, and who are you guys really trying to convince? Me or yourselves?
Likely this is the best deal Lowe could get and he wanted to trade Pitkanen.

Its too bad, basically Lowe had a hard on for Cole since the cup.

Now hes an Oiler, its the one negative of being consistent.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vomiting Kermit*

Erik Cole and Gilbert Brule are on The Team 1260 right now.

Cole says he is "extremely excited" to be an Oiler.

Same goes for Brule.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vespa99

Quote:
If Craig MacTavish is coaching his team and putting together lines by contract lengths this team is in more trouble than I thought.

Nice reasoning for when Cole doesn't come close to usurping Dustin Penner.
Do you know anything at all about hockey? Of course contracts come into play. If Penner is going to be with the team longer than Cole you want him to have the prime ice time and every oportunity to develop. If they are both going to be here long term then the best player gets the best ice time. Of course that is not the only factor but it is one of the factors. Maybe in a perfect world or on paper that should not be true but it is the reality.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Cole and Brule press conference is on team 1260 right now.

Cole talked about how at the end of the year he liked watching the Oilers make there playoff push, and found himself more and more looking for Oiler games to watch on center ice. Seems pretty damned excited.

Not bad first comments

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
I'm still not really happy about the trade, although warming up to it.
BUT, watch 1:01 of this video, IT'S INTENSE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaaSXjbipKs
Yeah no offense to Penner but there's no way Penner could do that.

He's just physically not that quick or agile.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
RKD

Sounds like Cole is pumped to join the Oilers and experience the fan support that we provide.

07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Because he's old and unnecessary for this team to move forward.

I guess it's also avatar stripping worthy to disagree of this trade around here - just a heads up for anyone ready to say the truth that it's a bad trade.

Why do you think Lowe didnt want to sign Joni ?

My hunch is because he played like he didnt wanna play here with no motivation what so ever. You think Lowe wants that kind of play to rub off on the rest of the team. Lazy, soft and un-motivated.

Also, through trading Joni, his stock is also at its lowest point.. and to even get Cole is a fair trade.

I mean, it only took Lupul and Smith to get him.. LMAO

If he was as good as you say, why would one of your fav teams.. Philly trade him to the Oil.. why would the Oil trade your beloved to Carolina ? Both teams you chear for traded his *** off.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Cole sounds super excited to be coming here. He said he found himself watching the team going down the stretch last season.

I'm starting to get excited about the season now. Really excited.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
bruinsfan31

Quote:
If Craig MacTavish is coaching his team and putting together lines by contract lengths this team is in more trouble than I thought.

Nice reasoning for when Cole doesn't come close to usurping Dustin Penner.
damn how much do you dislike Eric Cole. tell me one think how many cups does joni have. now im not saying just because eric has a cup he is a superstar but he has more experiance that joni does right now. the oilers have a young team and having Eric come in will bring some leadership.plus hes averaging 27 goals and 30 assists over the past 3 season so its not like hes a washed up player hes going to score goals and help the team out

bruinsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Soundwave

Wow, Cole seems to know a lot about the Oilers.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
It's not really the same comparing an RFA to a UFA. At least with Pitkanen, you get some compensation if he signs an OS with another team. Cole could be gone after this year. Then you've basically traded Pitkanen for 1 year of Cole - that's very poor asset management IMO.
Depends on what the goal is.

It to hope players live up to their potential or try to improve your team.

Pitkanen perhaps signs a long term deal, perhaps not. He perhaps lives up to he potential or maybe not, perhaps his value gets better or perhaps not. Perhaps he gets an offer sheet, perhaps not.

There were no guarantees.

Perhaps Cole signs, perhaps he doesn't, perhaps he leaves, Perhaps he scores 20, perhaps he scores 30.

Are the Oilers a better team than they were last week. Hard to argue differently.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Spawn

Damn.... I'm not gonna lie, but Cole is saying the exact things we'd hope a guy who we acquire says.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Soundwave

If Cole pans out I think Lowe will retain him especially if the cap keeps rising. Cole sounds like he's going to be a terrific Oiler.

Even with Penner our top six was small and soft, now we've gotten grittier and bigger and we added another 25-30 goal scorer. Not bad.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:46 PM
JonQuixote

Yeah, both sound super-happy to be coming here. I wonder how TSN is gonna spin this one. "Oilers trade for insane players!"

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Do you know anything at all about hockey? Of course contracts come into play. If Penner is going to be with the team longer than Cole you want him to have the prime ice time and every oportunity to develop. If they are both going to be here long term then the best player gets the best ice time. Of course that is not the only factor but it is one of the factors. Maybe in a perfect world or on paper that should not be true but it is the reality.
Coaches absolutely DO NOT play players on how long they're on contract for. Scotty Bowman didn't tap Stacy Roest on the shoulder while Steve Yzerman was in his last year of a contract and leave him sitting on the bench.

If MacT does that sort of ****, again this team is in hell.

Old
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Yeah, both sound super-happy to be coming here. I wonder how TSN is gonna spin this one. "Oilers trade for insane players!"
Good one

Old
07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
I can understand why some of you guys are unhappy with the trade(s). If you think about how much cap space Raffi was tieing up, id say regardless of Brule's performance it was worth it. Dont get me wrong, i love Raffi's game and heart but he was making too much.

I do think we could have got more for Pitkanen, but i think Cole is an underrated player and will gel here.

On a side note, how are you guys at all disappointed after listening to this press conference? Both of these guys are extremely happy by the sounds of it to being playing here and competing for the people of Edmonton.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Cole has said excited like 10 times, talks about joining a great young franchise that will be great for years to come

Old
vespa99

Quote:
Coaches absolutely DO NOT play players on how long they're on contract for. Scotty Bowman didn't tap Stacy Roest on the shoulder while Steve Yzerman was in his last year of a contract and leave him sitting on the bench.

Thank you for clearly answering my question as to whether you know anything at all about hockey

Old
07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

If he was as good as you say, why would one of your fav teams.. Philly trade him to the Oil.. why would the Oil trade your beloved to Carolina ? Both teams you chear for traded his *** off.
And I loved him on both teams. Who cares if both GM's were stupid enough to trade him? Phil Esposito was traded before he hit his prime, if we ran off people cheering for Chicago back then, it means absolutely nothing.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
The Polak*

So much fluff...

Someone ask if Cole would be willing/like to sign an extension with edmonton. That's the only question I really care about.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Thank you for clearly answering my question as to whether you know anything at all about hockey
The answer being obviously I do? Nice reply, keep believing coaches and GMs run their team like you do on NHL 2k5 for the PS2.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

Mac T will play whoever he likes. He played Toby Petersen over Joffrey Lupul, lol.

Old
07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Tommy35

Brutal trade, just ******ing brutal., Lowe is the master of landing washed up players. Joni should of gotten us at least a top 4 forward, Naslund, Demitra, JAGR, Malone type player. This is more or less the same deal he struck with dealing Pronger

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote