HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pitkanen for Cole: TSN/NHL Network

Old
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Tekneek

vCash: 500
I don't know why I am feeling attached to Pitkanen right now anyway. I didn't like the Smith/Lupul for Pitkanen trade, despite all the hype and love in here for Pitkanen last summer. I just thought he might up his game with some more good skating blueliners and (hopefully) better health this season.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Fortboy

Stauff was talking about this on Monday. He said that is was a rumour he had heard consistently and from many sources. Should be a done deal. I'm not too hyped about the deal myself but I wasn't super impressed with Pitkanen last year anyways. So change is good I guess.

Fortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I've mentioned Cole's name a few times as the player I think Penner can be. They have eerily similar statlines, pre-Cole breakout.

All in all, it's nice to have a first line LW again.
Cole could be some real magic with Horcoff. I do wonder where this puts Penner and if we use him as 1st line PP but that he opts on to other line at ES.

Cole would be much better with Horc-Hemsky ES.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
bengood

guys,

pitkanen is now joining his 3rd team in under 12 months. sometimes a trade like this speaks to the character of the player, not the poor deal making ability of a GM. after a full year of edmonton bending over backwards to make him welcome, work him into the system etc. he is STILL a question mark.

i love his game, dont get me wrong, but clearly every GM in the league understands now that pitkanen is a large question mark. he has been called an anomoly, a loner etc.

so a player like that, who not only has dressing room question marks but injury/heart question marks and who also has NO CONTRACT cannot be worth much in a trade.

with all that in mind i think lowe did an AWESOME job getting something for pitkanen. even if it is one year of cole. realistically we were probably only getting one more year of joni as well.

bengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
First for the poster that said Lowe is blackballed...... preposterous. He has made 3 trades already.
Second as for the trade.... I dont mind it. I think most Oilers fans have overrated Pitts. I know he has great skills but the fact that he is skilled and is on his way out of Edmonton after only one year should tell you something. Espescially after how long Lowe wanted him. I think the fantasy of Pitts is better than the reality. When you watch him skate and pass you see a noris candidate. But when you look at his overall game and production that vision dissapears. How many more years and teams will go by before he is no longer considered a future star and the reality that he is never going to get better sets in.
I think Cole will be a great player for the oil. And if he decides to go to free agency we will trade him at the deadline and still get a return on Pitts that way.
I agree. Pitkanen still needs time to develop and he is asking way to much money right now. 5 mill for a player who didnt do to well. I would rather have it on Cole. I am happy with this trade.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Cole is the 2nd best PF in the game.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
the word*

This helps.
Don't remember the half dozen skilled plays Pitkanen was involved in last year, remember him flopping around on the ice and leaving the game when he took a pass off the foot

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:42 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Cole could be some real magic with Horcoff. I do wonder where this puts Penner and if we use him as 1st line PP but that he opts on to other line at ES.

Cole would be much better with Horc-Hemsky ES.
Yeah, I think Penner and Gagner really started to show some chemisty at the end of the year. Then again Gagner was starting to show chemistry with everyone.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:43 PM
OILFAN #81

I think Kevin Lowe has done very well since Sunday Night.

Stoll, Greene, Pitkanen, and Torres

for Visnovsky, Cole and Brule

SIGN ME UP!

The Oilers are a better team after these deals. Look on rival boards (such as Calgary's aka CP), they are actually complimenting Lowe for making some great moves today. Erik Cole is a very good power forward and will help the Oilers a lot offensively. Pitkanen was a good dman with a lot of potential and will do well in Carolina but we got Visnovsky and we obviously needed help at forward. The Torres for Brule trade was great in that we added a player with solid potential and dumped cap space. Good moves Lowe!

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengood View Post
guys,

pitkanen is now joining his 3rd team in under 12 months. sometimes a trade like this speaks to the character of the player, not the poor deal making ability of a GM. after a full year of edmonton bending over backwards to make him welcome, work him into the system etc. he is STILL a question mark.

i love his game, dont get me wrong, but clearly every GM in the league understands now that pitkanen is a large question mark. he has been called an anomoly, a loner etc.

so a player like that, who not only has dressing room question marks but injury/heart question marks and who also has NO CONTRACT cannot be worth much in a trade.

with all that in mind i think lowe did an AWESOME job getting something for pitkanen. even if it is one year of cole. realistically we were probably only getting one more year of joni as well.
Agreed. Pitkanen value, despite his talent was only likely going to depreciate. I really do question his heart to play the North American game 82nights/yr. Those in the know have i think detected something amiss in this.

Lowe does not devalue defenceman. Not sure this even needs to be stated.

Old
07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Speedtrials

Man, I love the direction your team is going in. You guys are going to have a great mix of toughness, leadership, and skill. Good Luck next year!

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
This is one of those "told you so" moments. You guys overvalue Pitkanen based on his potential but he hasn't done anything lately to justify being worth more than Cole.

You guys will be happy with Cole, though. He'll become a fan favorite.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

In fairness I have to say that Cole is what we all hoped that either Penner or Torres would be.

Its nice having the established quantity power forward instead of always the potential.

What a rollercoaster 15mins this has been for me..

The Torres departure does make more sense with the Cole addition. I'm glad I didn't have a conniption.

Old
07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Yeah, I think Penner and Gagner really started to show some chemisty at the end of the year. Then again Gagner was starting to show chemistry with everyone.
Yeah, I remember that... like Dr. Evil and Mini-me.

Penner definitely needs a play maker and Gagner can make a pass to anybody - preferably to somebody who can take a pass (i.e Penner)

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Usual_Suspect

Looks like this is definitely a straight up 1 for 1 situation as both the Oilers and Hurricanes websites have it as Cole for Pitkanen.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?...ticleid=367303

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
This is one of those "told you so" moments. You guys overvalue Pitkanen based on his potential but he hasn't done anything lately to justify being worth more than Cole.

You guys will be happy with Cole, though. He'll become a fan favorite.
Who cares. I want Pitkanen back. I didn't want to trade him at all... but after the Visnovsky trade, it was a given. Argh.

Why do we need another forward again?

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Ice Whole

Right now I am in shock that Eklund got it right. He said on sunday that Cole for Pitkanen could be announced by July 1st. Wow. Eklund got it right. Also I think Pitkanen will be a bust in Carolina too. Every team that wants him, he ends up doing bad there. Phillie, Oilers. I hope he does bad in Carolina so we dont get ripped off with this trade.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In fairness I have to say that Cole is what we all hoped that either Penner or Torres would be.

Its nice having the established quantity power forward instead of always the potential.

What a rollercoaster 15mins this has been for me..

The Torres departure does make more sense with the Cole addition. I'm glad I didn't have a conniption.
I'm glad you're coping well.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Slats432

One thing for many to realize is that we are valuing Pitkanen as what he could become, not what he is now. Cole is someone who can positively impact our team as a leader, a skill player, a gritty player and a top 6 forward. But do it right now.

Let's not be too quick to judge, I am warming to this deal.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
2Curious

vCash: 50
0For those that are really concerned that COLE is only signed for 1 year let us remember if PIT refuses to sign anything other than a 1 year deal he will also be UFA after this year
Good Deal and especially Asset Management

2Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Right now I am in shock that Eklund got it right. He said on sunday that Cole for Pitkanen could be announced by July 1st. Wow. Eklund got it right. Also I think Pitkanen will be a bust in Carolina too. Every team that wants him, he ends up doing bad there. Phillie, Oilers. I hope he does bad in Carolina so we dont get ripped off with this trade.
He got the info from the TEAM. Eklund didn't get anything right.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kelevra

we should have pitched pit + torres for M. Michalek

Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyaddict101

I like the deal but as many of you know I wasn't as big of a fan of Pitkanen as some of you so I don't have to wrap my head around it.

We needed a top 6 line player more than Pitkanen (especially after the Visnosky deal)

This is a good deal for the Oilers.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
One thing for many to realize is that we are valuing Pitkanen as what he could become, not what he is now. Cole is someone who can positively impact our team as a leader, a skill player, a gritty player and a top 6 forward. But do it right now.

Let's not be too quick to judge, I am warming to this deal.
After having some time to think about it, I am too.

A consistent impact player for an inconsistent one. Although gamebreakers on defense are generally harder to find than those on offense, Pitkanen isn't at that level yet, consistently.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
scout1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I hope he does well in Carolina. The NHL needs a player with his skills. Unfortunately it was inevitable that he was going to be moved, but I hope he steps it up and gets his act together.

scout1982 is offline   Reply With Quote