HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why was Ryan Sittler a bust?

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 03:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Why was Ryan Sittler a bust?

Does anyone know why he was such a bust? Did he flop right out of the gate? Did he suffer an injury, etc? Just wondering.

Old
02-17-2004, 03:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
After being drafted out of Michigan, he scored 18 goals in 2 seasons. His freshman year he had 24 assists, his soph year he had 9. looked like he sucked right out of the gate.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=4986

Old
02-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Had a serious eye injury early in his career. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=391

Old
02-17-2004, 03:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Wow, thanks for the info guys. This site is superb!!!

Old
02-17-2004, 04:48 PM
54fightin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Wow, thanks for the info guys. This site is superb!!!
Ryan Sittler was probably overrated in a weak draft year (1992). The Hockey News Draft Preview listed him as a "prototypical power forward...sure to make his make his mark in the NHL." In the same evaluation, an NHL scout was quoted as saying he was the safest pick of the draft. He played 2 years in college then turned pro. He played a couple of years for the Hershey Bears, although he had skill he was never big enough, fast enough or quick enough on his feet or with his hands to fulfill the HN predictions. Unfortunately, he was suckerpunched during an on-ice brawl while with Hershey and his cheekbone and orbital bones were broken very badly. He had trouble after that with his vision and depth perception. Whether he might have made the NHL without this injury is anyone's guess but he never came back fully from that injury. I met Ryan Sittler at a Flyers preseason camp in the mid 90s, at the time I had a newsletter on the Flyers and a press pass. He was a nice guy, very down to earth and was very hopeful to make his mark in Philadelphia.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Had a serious eye injury early in his career. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=391
He also suffered several serious knee injuries in the minors which led to his retirement at the ripe old age of 24. It was just one injury after another with him. I have my doubts if he ever would have made it to the NHL even if he had stayed completely healthy, but the Sittler family rates a 10 in my book. They've lived in the area for the past 20 years and you couldn't find nicer people. His sister Meaghan is still quite a hockey player.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
In other words, I was wrong, and to have his carreer ended via injury, I expected to see less games played....

Closed Thread