HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FADT: 7/1/08 Free Agent Frenzy Day Noon EDT PART 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
znk

vCash: 500
God damn it....
I dont konw how I'm going to get anything done at work tomorrow.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Just play him as the seventh d man, then let him go at the end of next year when his contract is up. We won't spend to the cap anyways.
Well Dandenault got pretty cranky about that role last year which is why I think a buyout (or some kind of move to get him to play somewhere else) would be ideal for both parties.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Briere wouldn't have crippled us and Gainey still has his limits on a player and he's not afraid to bow out once the dollar amount becomes too detrimental. We might still get Sundin. Rangers have picked up some expensive contracts today including an insane contract to Redden. I'd rather BG stay quiet and pick up some gritty fillers (like Kostopoulos last year) then handcuff us with an insane contract.

I like Rolston too but that deal could be horrible. At 35, you're stuck with those numbers on the cap for the rest of the contract no matter what happens (retirement, injury, alien abduction, etc).

Have faith in our proven winner GM. The offseason has just begun.
Fine. I'm just an impatient Habs fan.....as far as going for gritty fillers....I'm the one who suggested Michael Ryan at one point.....so I'm not the most demanding one. Right now, I'm more in the Naslund camp. Honesly, I'm done with Hossa and Sundin so I won't be dissapointed if we don't get them.

On the other hand, I can't wait for the canadian dollar to drop a little so the revenues will drop and then I'll be able to watch teams crying over their own problems 'cause of the guys they signed and have to get rid of for a 7th rounder.....

Old
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
MrNasty

Redden is worth half that salary. He is not the player he used to be...he can't keep up with the speed game anymore. Looks like the Rags have lost Jagr, Shanny, Straka...

Old
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
It's starting to look to me like 'the Hossman' is staying in Pittsburgh. Sundin, I'd say it's either Vancouver or Montreal. When money comes to play though, forget everything Sundin said before (about not wanting to play in the west) IMO.
It almost impossible for them to spend over 8M$ dollars for Hossa only. They need to sign at least a other top 6 forwards (if they sign Hossa) and at least 1 or 2 defensemen. Plus Malkin contract will kick in next year, so it another 6-7 additional millions on the payroll next year.

Old
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
How is Montreal not a favorite to get Hossa or Sundin now. No way NY can offard either at their asking price and they still need to sign more players.

I wonder if Mats woke up yet and realised that 1 or the 2 teams he wanted to play for probably can't go to the dance with him. I wonder if Montreal is starting to look a lot better now?
Well New York obviously thought they needed an upgrade on D so they retained Rosie and got Redden too (not sufficient IMO). So New York can't truly offer Mats the deal he deserves. That would mean 3 teams in the running, us, Vancouver and my guess is Detroit. We still have a chance but you never know. These things always seem to end with another team jumping in at the last minute. The negotiations for Mats are strange because he has a list of demands and wants to be with a contender.

We're closer than Vancouver and not just cause the East is more wide open. Detroit can really step in and steal him but they'd need to offer him at least 7M IMO. IT's not ALL about money for Mats but Detroit is close enough to the East, has a winning nucleus and doesn't face the Leafs 24/7. I'm sure that worry is in the back of his mind when he mulls over Montreal. I don't expect us to get Hossa, but hey never say never. Either way, when we see how much Mark Streit is going to command, we'll be glad we let him walk so our young D could step in.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Bolts signed Koci to replace Roy.
This guy is a nut job.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
shutehinside

The $56.7 MM cap is NOT the sumer time cap. I believe teams can spend over the cap during the summer time i.e. Chicago is over the cap now and have to pair it down before summer's over. So NY can still sign Sundin or Hossa, it would just put them in one hell of a pickle considering they still have some players to sign and would have to get rid of salary at the same time.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
We can't all be Jeff Mother ****in' Finger
Hey we are living in a digital age!

Old
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
It's starting to look to me like 'the Hossman' could stay in Pittsburgh. Sundin, I'd say it's either Vancouver or Montreal. When money comes to play though, forget everything Sundin said before (about not wanting to play in the west) IMO.
If I were Hoss, I'd stay in Pittsburgh too. Not that he wouldn't be welcome, but their fans certainly would give him a curious look. Edmonton is becoming a beast but Hossa should stay in the East.

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
My bad, misread, was hoping too much and read the wrong team.

Old
Pascal

lol @ Redden getting 6.5M for 6 yrs.

Old
Pol1ce*

Montreal will not land an impact player and here's why...

There is none, really. Let's be honest with ourselves as habs fans. Although we would love to add an "impact" player to our club, there isn't any significant player out there worth paying the big bucks to fill in big shoes.

"impact" player is a player who has very high expectations. Here are the characteristics of an impact player.

- Is in the top 10 scoring list over the past 3-5 years.
- A player who is between the ages of 22-34. Any player over 34 may still have "impact" skills, but age does play a factor.
- Finally impact means franchise player, and there is none out there. Sundin and Jagr were once Impact/franchise players, now that there both over 35, you can bet they will be retiring within the next 3-4 years. Franchise player usually means he will last a dynasty (a good 8-10 years with the club). Hossa was never an impact player, although he was in the top10 scoring over the past few years, and certainly has the skill of an impact player, he lacks the leadership. I've never seen Hossa pick up a team and carry them on his back.

Gainey is smart, and he will not waste his money on a guys like Sundin, Jagr or Hossa. They're not worth it, he should keep his money, and wait ti'll next summer. Most of the 22-24 year old stars' contracts will be expiring. Guys like Malkin, their entry level contracts will expire next summer. Malkin will no doubt be traded next trade deadline, unless Pittsburgh is in another cup contending era.

Gainey will surely wait ti'll next summer to sign his "impact/franchise" player.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

update

cap space remaining

Pittsburgh -18,679,933
Montreal Canadiens - 10,881,366
Ny Rangers -7,837,407 .
Boston- 6,338,334
Edmonton Oilers -4,365,780
This is a nice illustration of the situation we are in. Most of the teams here have to give up roster players to welcome Hossa (or any other 8+ million player) to their team. On the other hand the habs (and pit) would basically be adding without handicapping the teams core.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
MonacoBlue

He'll still try and strengthen his team for this anniversary year, especially because the team's younger players will start costing more as early as next year. It's now or never.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:52 PM

I'll keep saying what I've been saying all along.

We don't need another top forward, we need a top-4 defenceman.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
A malkin deal is going to cure a lot of the Pens cap space. Like maybe 9 to10 mm
Malkin is already under contract for next season, the contract he signed is for an extension AFTER this season so Pittsburgh still has that cap space, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
Pascal

Redden interview on TSN summary:

"<gasping for air the whole time?> Yea i'm amazed the Rags offered me so much money and at the end of the day i just couldn't say no LOL"

Old
JrHockeyFan

So what is the craziest deal of the day?

Huet? Redden? Commodore? Finger?

Old
HomaridII

You know who else is looking like a bargain? Alex Tanguay, lol

Old
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Hossa meets almost all of your criteria

Old
Stradale

Remember when the morons on 110% said that no team would want Koivu at 4.5 millions.

Thats like only 1M more than Jeff Finger!!

Old
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Redden to Rangers.

Bob is still at bat. Some people are starting to whisper stuff about crapping or getting off the pot.

On paper, the conference rivals are improving.
Improving? I couldn't be happier that Redden has gone to New York to ruin that team now. On the other hand, Ottawa might rebound..............

Old
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Malkin is already under contract for next season, the contract he signed is for an extension AFTER this season so Pittsburgh still has that cap space, if I'm not mistaken.
Good point

Old
HuetIs39

There are only so many crosbys in the NHL, for the record I think Sundin has been giving the Leafs a chance for the past couple years... excluding last year.

Closed Thread