HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

No Hossa decision

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
MaKi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
I guess its between DET , PIT and EDM now with EDM the highest bid and DET the best place to win a cup.
I heard from TSN that Montreal was in the running for Hossa.
I guess it's possible if they gave up on Sundin and still want to sign a big name.
I guess Montreal would be between Edmonton and Detroit, in terms of being able to offer more money than Detroit and being more of a contender than Edmonton.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I'm hoping this becomes WWE and San Jose comes down the rafters and hits Pit and Edm in the head with chairs and takes Hossa
ha I was thinking the same thing.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
TSN made it clear that Edmonton are pushing the hardest. Apparently they've said they will match any offer and have already had a "member of their roster" talk to Hossa on the phone to tell him about the city of Edmonton.
The member of the roster was actually a ex-member, it was Chris Pronger....

Hey Marian, do not come here, your wife will hate it !

Old
07-01-2008, 09:29 PM
MaKi

Boston just signed Ryder, so I think that takes them out of the runnings for Hossa.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Frisbee97

Send a message via AIM to Frisbee97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgPens View Post
More like between Surrey and Washington State. Nice area.

Anyhoo, should be interesting on what Hossa decides soon enough. Either play for a contender or play for a bit more money. Decisions.
if edmonton lands hossa they are a contender

Old
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
Boston just signed Ryder, so I think that takes them out of the runnings for Hossa.
Pretty much. Although because you can go 10% over the salary cap they could in theory offer 8.1 Million and they would be ok. Anything above though and they would be out of luck unless they make a trade to free up salary first (or waive someone although i'm not sure if that goes off the books right away)

Old
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Offshore Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post

Hey - that's pretty funny. I'm sure that no one ever considered that before... we better keep that Pronger guy away from Hossa! Quick! grab his Blackberry!

Old
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post

Hey Chris, do not bring your wife here, We hate her !
I dont know how many french Canadian players were rumoured to not want to play for the habs because of the environment/spotlight.
I'm not sure who actually called Marian; Smid, and Hemsky are both Czechs, and Visnovsky is still in shock about being traded 24 hours before his NTC kicking in.
IIRC Czech, and Slovak are somewhat similiar languages.

It will be announced tomorrow at Darryl Katz's presser.

Hossa-Horcoff-Hemsky

07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

it was said on 1260 that hemsky and moreau were the players who contacted hossa

Old
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
WpgPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee507 View Post
I'm sure Oil fans would agree with that.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
MaKi

Quote:
I don't know if I would put them as contenders.
I would say definatley a playoff team, but I don't know about a definite contender.
Offense is there but I don't know how the team will be defensively, and I don't think Garon/Roloson can hold the fort if they arent strong defensively.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would say definatley a playoff team, but I don't know about a definite contender.
Offense is there but I don't know how the team will be defensively, and I don't think Garon/Roloson can hold the fort if they arent strong defensively.
Garon did last year until he was injured, and Roloson did a decent job down the stretch for us. Garon and Roloson will be playing for contracts this year so hopefully both of them are well prepared. Its the sophmore slump for Nilsson, Gagner, Cogliano, Brodziak, and Gilbert that I'm worried about

Old
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Leroux 66

Quote:
i agree 100%, edmonton would be a definite playoff team, but not nearly a legit cup contender, as their goaltending is shaky at best.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Atlanta needs to find a way to spend to the cap floor.

If they promised Hossa to absolutely sign Demitra to a deal would he return?

It would be highly unlikely, but it's a tactic worth trying.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Beerfish

Goaltending is not a big problem for the Oilers, at least the way Garon played last year. A soft defense very well could be however.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroux 66 View Post
i agree 100%, edmonton would be a definite playoff team, but not nearly a legit cup contender, as their goaltending is shaky at best.
I wouldn't say "shaky at best" is fair. I'd say Garon and Roloson are very good at best but we have no guarantees that Garon is going to come in and perform like he did last season. I think he will perform like last season because he was playing at a realistic level. It's not like he came in and looked like Luongo for a few weeks. He just played well for half the season and if he can continue to play like that then the Oilers have a good starter.

As for the defense. People look at it like it's weak because our "big names" aren't gods in their own zone. Souray is solid and Visnovsky is solid. Thats good enough because we're going to be counting on them for offense. People are aware of Gilbert but not many no a whole lot about his game. Even know he can move the puck well, he's very good defensively. The same can be said for Grebeshkov. Staios is a given and even 22 year old Smid should be considered a defensive defensemen at this point in his career. We have a good mix of offensive and defensive Dmen....some just tend to go under the radar. It's not a great defense because there is a lot of inexperience but it's fairly skilled.

I don't think the Oilers are a cup contender even with Hossa though. I think we'd be like the Pens of 2007 and Caps and Canadiens of this year. We might be able to get through one or maybe even 2 rounds on skill but we'd probably be one year away from really being a true contender.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:17 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroux 66 View Post
you need to watch more Oiler games...goaltending wasn't our problem last year

When all is said and done, I doubt Hossa signs here

Old
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
No way. Contender for what? The playoffs.

Edmonton would still be way behind teams like the Redwings and others in the West. Do you really think Hossa puts you with the Redwings?

Old
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Big Phil

Edmonton? Pittsburgh is on the verge of a dynasty and Hossa is going to a non playoff team because he was insulted at $7 million a year offered to him by Pittsburgh. If I had the chance to play with 66% of the 3 best players in the NHL I wouldnt need a gun held to my head. Does he truly NOT want to win? Because this is what I get from that type of thinking. Even with Hossa Edmonton doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell at winning anything. DOnt believe me? Just check to see how well Hossa did with Kovalchuk in Atlanta. All of the sudden Hossa is a future Hall of Famer now in his eyes?

Old
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
suprez

Penguins
Detroit
Montreal
Edmonton

Hmm hard choice.No doubt he need more time to think
But personnaly if i were hossa i would hesitate between Detroit/MTl and Pittburgs and use Edmonton to pump my contract $$

Old
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
LeftWinger44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Edmonton? Pittsburgh is on the verge of a dynasty and Hossa is going to a non playoff team because he was insulted at $7 million a year offered to him by Pittsburgh. If I had the chance to play with 66% of the 3 best players in the NHL I wouldnt need a gun held to my head. Does he truly NOT want to win? Because this is what I get from that type of thinking. Even with Hossa Edmonton doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell at winning anything. DOnt believe me? Just check to see how well Hossa did with Kovalchuk in Atlanta. All of the sudden Hossa is a future Hall of Famer now in his eyes?
Acquiring Hossa will not make the Oilers win the Stanley Cup but it will certainly make them favorites to win their division. Remember: When you make the playoffs, anything can happen. Hossa is a five time all-star and he will be playing with a fellow all-star in Horcoff and one of the best playmakers in the league in Hemsky. Add in power forwards Erik Cole and Dustin Penner along with young sensations in Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson and you have a formidable set of forwards.
The defense looks shaky in terms of the defensive side, but Edmonton has a puck-moving and offensive defense core as good as any in the league. Lubomir Visnovsky and Sheldon Souray are dynamite on the PP and Gilbert and Grebeshkov were able to shut down forwards like Iginla and Gaborik down the stretch.
Roloson will most likely be traded to clear cap space, but Garon proved he could post solid numbers and carry a team last year. The backup position will be the big ? though.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
Penguins
Detroit
Montreal
Edmonton

Hmm hard choice.No doubt he need more time to think
But personnaly if i were hossa i would hesitate between Detroit/MTl and Pittburgs and use Edmonton to pump my contract $$
Detroits offer isn't going any higher. I'm sure Holland has told Hossa hes not going to budge on his offer. Frankly, Im impressed by Hossa if this is true. Not because I think Hossa will sign with Detroit - I dont - but Im surprised Hossa even took a 2nd look at Detroits offer considering its under 7M. That says a lot about his character that hes willing to sacrifice the cup for perennial competitiveness.

And thats not to say any other team wouldnt be a competitive choice, just that the Wings are a pretty sure bet for contention.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The Oilers were most likely a playoff team without Visnovsky and Cole. If we add Hossa we're a favorite for the division. The Oilers went 25-15-2 in 2008 without Horcoff(MVP), Souray(Best defensemen), Moreau(captain) and Torres. Aswell as Pitkanen being in and out of the line up and Hemsky playing with a sprained wrist. Now we've upgraded our top pairing on defense and upgraded our top 6 with pretty much no subtraction since Stoll was expendable and at this point Greene is just a 5/6 defenseman.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Rumor on the Oil board is that Rich Winters is meeting with Lowe right now, as I type. Take it for what its worth....

Old
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Soundwave

Rich Winter is meeting with Daryl Katz and Kevin Lowe right now (meeting probably just ended).

I'm gonna guess this is gonna be Katz' baby since Winter and Lowe are not friends, but Katz and Winter are good friends.

Closed Thread