HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign D Wade Redden 6yr/6.5M

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Forever Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
They can't sign anyone else worth while because they have about 5 mil to work with.
They have at least $8M to work with, and that's before Backman is waived and a few others who won't be on the roster.

Plus you can be 10% over the cap during the summer.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Turambar

A little tidbit that we can all take a bit of comfort in: At one time, the Sens were forced to choose between keeping Redden and keeping Chara.

They chose to keep Redden.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't put my finger on what's going on here. How is it possible to be so negative without seeing this team play?

Old
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Part of me says you're right; the other part of me says why would anyone believe the cap wouldn't go up? The game is growing, the cap has gone up exponentially in recent years -- I just don't see it going down in future years. Now, if the CBA gets substantially changed, we could be screwed, but that's not likely either.
I would think that this year and last year would only prove the NHLPA's point that more financial flexibility is actually needed as opposed to any sort of tightening of the purse strings.

It's hard to argue that the league is still on tough times when the league has, as a whole, today alone dropped over 300million in contracts.

I highly doubt the cap goes down and I kind of see the players looking to re-open negotiations come 09/15/09.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:40 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
A little tidbit that we can all take a bit of comfort in: At one time, the Sens were forced to choose between keeping Redden and keeping Chara.

They chose to keep Redden.
Yes they did and it was a mistake they tried to correct on two public occassions and I'm sure countless private occassions.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Mason530

It is really in line with other defencemen.......Streit got more than $4 million per, while more projections were going between $4 to 3.5 million. Even Mike Commodore got more than $3 million per.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
How do you suggest they get anyone else, without giving up all their top prospects, and also without going over the cap limit?

They can't sign anyone else worth while because they have about 5 mil to work with.

Trade away our future for a quick fix.

This whole situation is eerily like the pre-lockout, 7 year fiasco.

I would love hear any suggestions, that don't include: "trade Dubinsky" "trade Sanguinetti" "trade Cherepanov" because that is the WRONG direction.
Why must any trade include all of our top prospects? And why must any trade be considered "trading away the future"?

You know as well as all of us that guys like Renney, Clark, Schoenfeld aren't going to stand by and watch Sather trade away all of our talent. It just isn't going to happen, nor do I think Sather would even attempt to do so.

We have some pieces that can be moved, all that really matters is our nucleus. We're loaded up on 3rd/4th line wingers and 2nd-tier defensemen. No reason at all guys like Tyutin, Girardi, Sauer, Potter, Moore, Sjostrom, Pyatt, Korpikoski, etc. can't be moved to acquire a piece we need. We package 2 or 3 of those guys and a pick or two and we get a scoring winger, it's simple.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Yes they did and it was a mistake they tried to correct on two public occassions and I'm sure countless private occassions.
you completely missed my point, but alright.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
we do have standing offers out for Sundin and Hossa.... i have a funny feeling that we will land one of them.

and we have more than $5mil to work w/...
From what I've read today Sundin has a 20MM 2 year deal on the table...and Hossa something like 8 or 10 years 70MM. So which of those two do you think it's gonna be?

Old
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I can't put my finger on what's going on here. How is it possible to be so negative without seeing this team play?
Because the Rangers didn't do what Internet pundits wanted them to do, that's all.

I really wish that the Rangers could have knocked off $1 mill from both Rozsival and Reddens contracts, and taken at least 1 year off of Reddens, but it's done with and in the long run, should make the Rangers defense much better if things are handled well (seriously Rozsival needs to play 2nd pairing minutes. He'll hopefully be more consistent that way).

And there's still plenty of time for more moves to shore up the offense.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
From what I've read today Sundin has a 20MM 2 year deal on the table...and Hossa something like 8 or 10 years 70MM. So which of those two do you think it's gonna be?
knowing Sather it will probably be Hossa.

I am not advocating this at all by the way.

Welll Sundin if we could get him for 1 year I would still want him, but it seems unlikely. Hossa we need to steer clear of.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
NYROrtsFan

Rangers have stellar depth on D right now...

Tyutin and Girardi are easily 2nd pairing defensemen.

That means you probably have ROzy on the third pair which is fantastic. Makes you wonder if the Rangers would trade someone. Ala Staal for a forward.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
knowing Sather it will probably be Hossa.

I am not advocating this at all by the way.

Welll Sundin if we could get him for 1 year I would still want him, but it seems unlikely. Hossa we need to steer clear of.
Agree... ANd hopefully Jagr comes back. Would just rather have him over both Sundin and Hossa. Sundin I like but this team simply doesn't need centers.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

That means you probably have ROzy on the third pair which is fantastic. Makes you wonder if the Rangers would trade someone. Ala Staal for a forward.
Sather will give Avery a five year deal before he trades Staal.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

Youve got it all backwards lad.

Tyutin and Girardi are more like third pairing.

Roszival will be getting top minutes making 5m a year.

Staal will be on the top 2 units.

If any D is dealt itll probably be Tyutin or Girardi, or a prospect -definitely not Staal.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

If any D is dealt itll probably be Tyutin or Girardi, or a prospect -definitely not Staal.
Redden and Staal are EXACTLY what this needs as a top pairing. Redden needed to get out of Ottawa. It amazes me that Bryan Murray continues to get jobs in the NHL. And, this idea that the attention in NY will be so much worse than Ottawa...let's see...the last time a hockey team made the back pages of one of the papers was? The last time the Rangers ranked higher on the attention scale of the NY sports scene over the baseball, football (including during the off-season) and the Knicks, not to mention the college championship season was? or the last time hockey was the main focus of the local radio stations was? As opposed to Ottawa, where I'd like to believe that Sens hockey was the big story most of the time...

anyway, it was probably $9 million total, and 1 year too long for my liking...but, that was the market. This defense is markedly upgraded...Redden is better player than Rozsival, and can play the heavy important minutes that Rozsival shouldn't; Staal gets the perfect mentor/partner for his development; and Roszival goes back to where he belongs - the 2nd D pairing.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
At least we didn't pay Streit $4MM+ a year like the Isles did.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Zirp

My guess is we are probably going to sign JJ and are getting set up for a trade here. We have a lot of redundancy starting to float around especially on the back two lines. Wouldn't be shocked to see a Prucha, Holly, Backman/Girardi/Tyutin for a young 2nd line winger or so. Should be interesting to say the least. As for Redden, I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Two seasons ago, he was elite... here's hoping that a change of scenery is going to help him out. Things definately turned in Ottawa, and not just for him last year. He seems pretty excited and should prove a good mentor and role model for guys like Staal. Not to mention, we give him a shot to turn things around, and if he does, we have a nice asset to trade for some good pieces of the puzzle. He should also help Rozi in the long run and be able to share the mantle on D. I'm rooting for the guy to rebound. LET'S GO RANGERS!

Old
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

I agree that Tyutin and Girardi will likely function as a 3rd pairing, but I don't agree that they are a third pairing in general terms... Those two were probably the most trusted pair at times last season.

Staal will definitely be on the top two units (actually the top unit in my mind with Redden - I think they both may mesh perfectly). I agree that Tyutin or Girardi are more likely to get traded, but they aren't bringing back the top flight winger that the team needs. Staal could. And I don't think that they should necessarily trade Staal either. Merely suggesting that it may happen.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Imagine a :
Staal-Redden
Roszival-Tyutin
Orpik-Girardi
I wish.

There has to be a trade in the air.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Unk

I dunno, but I'm imagining Backman is here to stay for next season. I don't know if the team will be able to get a 3rd pairing guy at $2.3 per year in this market, and his trade value isn't too high. So I could imagine one of these two pairing combinations:

Redden-Rozsival
Backman-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi

or, alternatively

Redden-Staal
Backman-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi

I'm kind've considering the former the more likely, but maybe Staal will surprise.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

i cant believe they signed mike dexter after someone in there called him a ***!

Old
07-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Redden and Chara were rarely paired together. Chara's steady partner was Phillips; Redden had a revolving door.
I typed that out fast. I knew the pairings... I just meant that they were the big anchors for that D, etc etc.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:26 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It amazes me that Bryan Murray continues to get jobs in the NHL.
This is funny and may be very accurate. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to take the train home from The Garden to PA and sit with Bill Clement. He spent most of the ride running Brian Murray into the ground. No respect would be an understatement. Clement said this went as far back to when he was in high school in Ontario. Murray has had some success along the way but what happened this year in Ottawa was a train wreck.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I dunno, but I'm imagining Backman is here to stay for next season. I don't know if the team will be able to get a 3rd pairing guy at $2.3 per year in this market, and his trade value isn't too high. So I could imagine one of these two pairing combinations:

Redden-Rozsival
Backman-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi

or, alternatively

Redden-Staal
Backman-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi

I'm kind've considering the former the more likely, but maybe Staal will surprise.
his name is potter......he should grab a spot out of camp and he will make .542 million.....that helps A LOT

Closed Thread