HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign D Wade Redden 6yr/6.5M

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
I honestly think this is gonna be the top 6 for a long time to come......

Redden-Staal Redden will show Staal the ropes & continue his development.

Backman-Rozsival This is a good czech combo, this pairing will be good for Backman.

Tyutin-Girardi Nothing much to say here, proven assetts.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post

Backman-Rozsival This is a good czech combo, this pairing will be good for Backman.

I like it for the most part, but I just have a hunch that a Rozsival-Backman pair would be a disaster.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post

backman is swedish.......

also IMO potter should be given a shot and backman should be stuffed in the minors as his 2.3 million could be used to pay someone else....

Old
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I didn't think Redden was bad last year. The concern is he has been on a bit of a decline. My concern is more about his transition to NY, I actually think his game is fine.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
his name is potter......he should grab a spot out of camp and he will make .542 million.....that helps A LOT
It does help a lot, but I hear (maybe I listen to the less optimistic posters too much) he's more of a #6/#7 guy. The team still actually needs a #7 guy, and it just doesn't make sense to have a $2.3 mil #7 guy. It just seems to make the most sense thats what the team would do, since they traded for him and all.

Anyway, I think the team might just go w/

Redden-Rozsival
Backman-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi

Those pairings looke a little less adventerous than the other one. Though Staal seemed steady, it seems one could argue Rozsival's decline was partly due to him having to be paired w/ a rookie, so it might make sense to lower Staal's minutes just a tad bit.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

This made McCabe's contract much more attractive.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I just got back from the Yankees game and nearly fell out of my chair. Wow.

Wade Redden...I have to honestly say that he wasn't my number one choice (like I have a vote in this lol), and I would have loved Brian Campbell, but I'm going to give him a chance. I think the situation in Ottawa over the last year was really toxic and I think that getting a change of scenery will help him out. I know it's alot of money, but he gives us experience. I'm just not sure if he's the ideal PP Quarterback we're looking for.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I've loved Redden forever. LOVE THIS SIGNING!!

Old
07-02-2008, 12:05 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I'll take Redden at 6.5 million over Malik at 2.5 million

Old
07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Chimp

So, who were the suckers who bought ourselves a prima albatross? Us. I really hope Renney can turn his game around.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:29 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMessier11 View Post
I'll take Redden at 6.5 million over Malik at 2.5 million
Ill take a 6.5 Redden over a .0001 Malik.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:30 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Sens fan take here

Redden is a mystery. He was so great for so long, for us, and in a way I will miss him. But he has not played to be a $6.5mil d-man on Ottawa since he signed his last contract.

He has a few nagging hip injuries and a couple others, and I think that has really thrown his game. He used to be the first guy to take a hit to make a play and was calm as ice, but that part of his game has disappeared, if any forward his fore-checking he gets the rid of the puck as quickly as possible, which leads to some very ill timed turnovers.

He can still slot the puck from the goal line out to center and beyond, but he only seems to do it successfully if he has no pressure.

On the PP he isn't going to QB it, but he does have a pretty decent shot and can get it through on the net, if you have guys parked there they will be able to find garbage from his shots and put them in.

I wish Redden all the luck with you guys and hope he can turn his game around and play like he used to.

A couple questions any word on the structure of the contract? front-loaded etc.. and does it include any LTC/NTC/NMC?

Old
07-02-2008, 12:34 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsPickedMyName View Post
Sens fan take here

Redden is a mystery. He was so great for so long, for us, and in a way I will miss him. But he has not played to be a $6.5mil d-man on Ottawa since he signed his last contract.

He has a few nagging hip injuries and a couple others, and I think that has really thrown his game. He used to be the first guy to take a hit to make a play and was calm as ice, but that part of his game has disappeared, if any forward his fore-checking he gets the rid of the puck as quickly as possible, which leads to some very ill timed turnovers.

He can still slot the puck from the goal line out to center and beyond, but he only seems to do it successfully if he has no pressure.

On the PP he isn't going to QB it, but he does have a pretty decent shot and can get it through on the net, if you have guys parked there they will be able to find garbage from his shots and put them in.

I wish Redden all the luck with you guys and hope he can turn his game around and play like he used to.

A couple questions any word on the structure of the contract? front-loaded etc.. and does it include any LTC/NTC/NMC?
Thanks for the post...

As for your question, we're not sure yet....if anything else was put into the contract out of the ordinary we should here about it tomorrow in the paper.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:36 AM
TheGeneral

Redden was a top notch d-man a few years ago sure, he had vision on the ice as good as anyone and could make a tape to tape, crisp pass from the defensive zone over the red line with the passee in full stride.

for some reason the last two years he has sucked b***s. why who knows. but he has been sloppy in our end, with way too many givaways. would shy away from physical play. his passes were off, and he could no longer hit the net.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:53 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
backman is swedish.......

also IMO potter should be given a shot and backman should be stuffed in the minors as his 2.3 million could be used to pay someone else....

Yes he is, my bad.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Pizza

As Staal matures Redden will look better and better.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Good-Bye Backman

Whats up with the rumors of Redden being a Coke-head?

Old
07-02-2008, 01:24 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Good-Bye Backman

Whats up with the rumors of Redden being a Coke-head?
Rumors only back in the day. and they all agree if he ever did it, he has long stopped now, it shouldn't follow him to NYR.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
he has been sloppy in our end, with way too many givaways. would shy away from physical play. his passes were off, and he could no longer hit the net.
Giveaways, non-physical, can't hit the net? Hmm. Sounds good so far, but how does he feel about making 10 passes when 2 passes would do?

Old
07-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Giveaways, non-physical, can't hit the net? Hmm. Sounds good so far, but how does he feel about making 10 passes when 2 passes would do?
I think its being way overblown. hes a guy who gave up on one coach, and a sinking ship just kept on sinking. I think he will be fine. especially for a team that had fielded lineups that regularly included Malik, Backman, and Strudwick

Old
07-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I think its being way overblown. hes a guy who gave up on one coach, and a sinking ship just kept on sinking. I think he will be fine. especially for a team that had fielded lineups that regularly included Malik, Backman, and Strudwick
it seems like half Ottawa fans hate him, and Half Ottawa fans adore him. Idk which group to trust, but i think he needed a change of scenery. he is in my mind still a top pairing dman something we Lack desperatly, we can have staal out there 30 minutes a game anymore.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:57 AM
SilverLine

I've always liked Redden in Ottawa, I think some of the bad moments are blown out of proportion.

That being said, he has been slower, weaker over the past 2 years.

The change of scenery will be good, especially since he takes a lot of blame.

I think I would have to agree with anyone who says he's worn out physically and mentally, hopefully with a longer off season (for him), he will condition and come back rejuvenated.

6 years sounds too long to me.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
it seems like half Ottawa fans hate him, and Half Ottawa fans adore him. Idk which group to trust, but i think he needed a change of scenery. he is in my mind still a top pairing dman something we Lack desperatly, we can have staal out there 30 minutes a game anymore.
also, the thing about getting redden is that he really lets everyone else slide down to the appropriate position. Rozsival now becomes a #3, Tyutin or Girardi becomes a #5, etc. His value to us is a lot more than to most teams because of that. Weve got the core to be a good defensive team, Reddens presence lets everyone else slot perfectly. PLUS his style of play is perfect for Renneys system. I think thats what Glens ultimate plan is, sign guys whose games fit into this system. Thats why Jagr, Avery, Straka, and Shanahan arent getting much play at the moment. THey each have aspects of their games which seem to conflict with the way Renney coaches, and what kind of players he likes. Shanny is too slow, Jagr doesnt get the puck to the net enough, Avery has character issues, Straka is too old, Shanahan is too old. I think Hossa and Redden, out of this free agent class, are the 2 guys you can point to and say immediately, these guys would be PERFECT in Tom Renneys system.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
also, the thing about getting redden is that he really lets everyone else slide down to the appropriate position. Rozsival now becomes a #3, Tyutin or Girardi becomes a #5, etc. His value to us is a lot more than to most teams because of that. Weve got the core to be a good defensive team, Reddens presence lets everyone else slot perfectly. PLUS his style of play is perfect for Renneys system. I think thats what Glens ultimate plan is, sign guys whose games fit into this system. Thats why Jagr, Avery, Straka, and Shanahan arent getting much play at the moment. THey each have aspects of their games which seem to conflict with the way Renney coaches, and what kind of players he likes. Shanny is too slow, Jagr doesnt get the puck to the net enough, Avery has character issues, Straka is too old, Shanahan is too old. I think Hossa and Redden, out of this free agent class, are the 2 guys you can point to and say immediately, these guys would be PERFECT in Tom Renneys system.
you didnt have to shanny twice i think JJ is coming back, and based on Rosen's predictions on his blog, i think Naslund is coming over also.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:07 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
To the guy you quoted I don't thinks it is overblown, he really has not been the same guy we saw for 10 years. He didn't just give up on a coach, because he wasn't playing great under Murray before last season. It seems to be a fundamental change in his game, because I don't think his body can take it anymore.

He played 22-25min a night absorbing all kinds of hits for 10 years. Once Chara left and the rules in the NHL changed he was the first guy getting creamed and there was no help with guys holding up someone to run into him etc..

The game just happens a lot faster now. You have to make a pass so quick from the back-end before you get creamed by a forward coming in full tilt. I think its just taken its toll.

Redden still oozes raw talent at times, but he hasn't put in more than 3 or 4 good games since we chose him over Chara. He just seems rushed to do everything. Part of that last season had to do with our lack of any sort of system at all, so he was probably over thinking and making bad decisions.

But part of it also has to do with how the game has changed and how Wade handles his wonky hip, which he has to wear a girdle for every game. Like I said before Wade is an amazing character guy and was one of the faces of the sens in the community, but if you plan on him being a #1 d-man I think thats too much at this point for him.

Closed Thread