HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign D Wade Redden 6yr/6.5M

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
A day later, and I'm still not a huge fan of the length of this deal. Money is meh, because we're not the kind of org that cars about that. I will say that 6 years for Redden is way better than 8 for Campbell.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Wade Redden was a great signing by us. He is 31 years old, and STILL in his prime..
His age might indicate that, but his play is well past his prime.

I honestly feel bad for you guys. This contract is worse than I expected he'd get. It screams buyout.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Fletch

Six years is better...

than eight; of course that's if Redden, in his sixth year, has a great season and shows he can still play for a couple more years and then costs $9MM per season. But hey, hopefully we don't get the flip side which is a guy who doesn't age well or who looks like Bruce Driver in years 3-6.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post

I honestly feel bad for you guys. This contract is worse than I expected he'd get. It screams buyout.
His declining numbers in OTTAWA

This is a completely different situation. I think the change of scenery and better coaching will make a difference in his game.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Ash

Black Tooth Grin is also one of the most vociferous Redden haters on the Sens board. I would not pay him much heed.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
His declining numbers in OTTAWA

This is a completely different situation. I think the change of scenery and better coaching will make a difference in his game.
You better pray it does. Because otherwise you just spent $39 million on a second pairing defenseman who is incompetent defensively.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Please, until you've watched him play for a season or two here you can't conclude anything. Speculation is ultimately worthless

Your whole team was incompetent last year (no offense, it's just the way things turned out)

Old
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
A day later, and I'm still not a huge fan of the length of this deal. Money is meh, because we're not the kind of org that cars about that. I will say that 6 years for Redden is way better than 8 for Campbell.
Who knows, maybe they front loaded it? So either moving him or buying him out could be less of a headache.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:16 AM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Please, until you've watched him play for a season or two here you can't conclude anything. Speculation is ultimately worthless
And maybe Alex Auld will win the Vezina for us? Speculation isn't fact, but you can make educated guesses based on history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Your whole team was incompetent last year (no offense, it's just the way things turned out)
Yeah, and Redden was leading the way.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Rooverick*

I understand the Rangers fans desire to defend the team and this signing and there is a small chance that Redded could turn it around enough to be only be mildly disappointing. However, the most likely scenario is a buyout within two years.

Redden is a great guy off the ice and I fully wish him the best, but he was always slightly overrated and has been a shell of himself for the past two seasons.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Chain Attack

Does his contract come with a no movement clause?

Old
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
And maybe Alex Auld will win the Vezina for us? Speculation isn't fact, but you can make educated guesses based on history.

Yeah, and Redden was leading the way.
well I'm glad we took him off your hands so now you can go back to the rest of that debacle up in OTT where golatending will always be an issue and where you're top 6 is significantly worse then what it was last yr so those 2 combined will make for more turmoil up in Canada's capital.

But thanks for stopping by!

Old
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 008 View Post
Does his contract come with a no movement clause?
No word yet.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
I understand the Rangers fans desire to defend the team and this signing and there is a small chance that Redded could turn it around enough to be only be mildly disappointing. However, the most likely scenario is a buyout within two years.

Redden is a great guy off the ice and I fully wish him the best, but he was always slightly overrated and has been a shell of himself for the past two seasons.
Is there also a chance that Redden regains his form? I love how fans from opposing teams can come in and tell us what the most likely scenario is for us two years from now. NO ONE KNOWS THAT! Especially people that don't follow the Rangers on a daily basis.

Look, Redden has slipped, obviously. And very few people here think that we should have given him 6 years. But it's a gamble we took and we're stuck with it now, so we're going to hope that he returns to his elite level of play. What do all you Ottawa fans hope to accomplish by coming on the Rangers board, telling us how we overspent, and how we're going to have to buy him out in two years?

It's just pain.
Old
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Redden is completely capable of coming back to his form of old. I just don't know if even at his best he warrants the contract he received.

I've said this before, it's going to be tough to play the Rangers with the defense/players they have now

Old
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Joni Pitkanen just signed with the Canes at 12 million for 3yrs. Thats less than the Isles will be paying for Mark Streit, and as we well know 2.5 per yr less then Redden

Old
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Joni Pitkanen just signed with the Canes at 12 million for 3yrs. Thats less than the Isles will be paying for Mark Streit, and as we well know 2.5 per yr less then Redden
Yeah - that's why you sign your RFAs (which Pitkanen was) to long-term deals before they become UFAs.

Apples to oranges.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
From all reports, he's a ****** team member, bad in the locker room, and has been mediocre on the ice for the past few years. But yeah, at least the contract isn't absurd, and he'll get a chance to rebuild his game

Old
07-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
From all reports, he's a ****** team member, bad in the locker room, and has been mediocre on the ice for the past few years. But yeah, at least the contract isn't absurd, and he'll get a chance to rebuild his game
Didnt we hear the same thing about Jagr?

I know, not exactly the same players but I can't take all this heresay as fact. Can't take any of it serious, let the guy actually play a few games in the sweater before the signing is crucified.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah - that's why you sign your RFAs (which Pitkanen was) to long-term deals before they become UFAs.

Apples to oranges.
Yep. Just shows why some players look at UFA as their chance to land the pot of gold. And they do. But at the same time my point was that I think that Carolina got themselves a very good defenseman at a reasonable price.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Some were saying that reports were that he was just a real "weird" dude. Who knows?

Old
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
BklyNYR4Life

my only major gripe with the deal is the length of the contract.

I think you can pin some of Redden's decline to the fact that for the past two years, management was essentially trying to run him out of town. I think the change of scenery will be good for Redden. Redden may not be a pure crease clearer like Orpik, or a puck juggling guru (who can't play a like of D) like Campbell, but he's about as soild, well rounded guy on the blueline as you're ever going to find. even more so, he gives the young Dmen a veteran leadership presence that they need.

basically money seems about right, contract is 1-2 years too long, but I like this guy, so I'm optimistic about what he'll do in a rangers sweater

Old
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Yep. Just shows why some players look at UFA as their chance to land the pot of gold. And they do. But at the same time my point was that I think that Carolina got themselves a very good defenseman at a reasonable price.
But they lost Eric Cole, one of their top players. This comparison is ********!

Old
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
ghirshorn

What are the odds of Avery resigning now that this huge contact has been signed? If they do not sign Avery I am going to be really upset.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
I think you can pin some of Redden's decline to the fact that for the past two years, management was essentially trying to run him out of town
Uh, no, you have it backwards. The Sens have been trying to trade him for one year, not two. And he was put on the block because he played like ****, not the other way around.

Closed Thread