HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign D Wade Redden 6yr/6.5M

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
why? Tyutin actually has a reasonable contract. Amazing how fickle this fan base is.
True

It's boggles my mind how they got Redden and Rozi and committed so much cash.........not sure if I like ti but when the PP has both of them on it I won't complain

I imagine Backman goes...........

So as of right now

Lundqvist
Wikman

Redden, Staal
Tyutin, Girardi
Rozsival, Backman, Potter

Their Forward lines really scare me though...........They would have to go with this in my eyes

------, Dubinsky, (Jagr?)
Dawes, Gomez Drury
Prucha, Rissimiler, Callahan
Sjostrom, Betts, Vorors, Jamtin............Orr, Hollweg

the 5 million on Rozi should of went to a Forward...........Trade him,haha

Old
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Sam says there is more to come tonight.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

He's a steady steady defender though.

Lets not make him out to be a second rate defensman.

Hes got an accurate shot from the point, and being a lefty shot, hopefully he and Roszival can set up one-timers galore on the PP points.

I'm really hoping he turns it around because i've always liked the guy. 6 years is hard to swallow though...

the core of the team now:

Lundqvist
Gomez
Drury
Redden
Rozsival
Staal

thats not terrible. they just need those one or two more pieces. More danger coming off the wings.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Why not just Redden? Why both Rozsival and Redden? Now our defense is overcrowded and it will either cost us the chemistry Tyutin and Girardi have, or makes Staal a third pairing defenseman.

Rozsival - Redden
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - _________

or

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Tyutin - _____________

I just don't understand. I really don't understand what Slats is doing, not to mention we only have 2nd/3rd/4th line wingers on this team.

the thing is that in the rangers division are two teams who have 2 legit #1 lines on their team in philly and pitt......(malkin, crosby/richards, carter(briere))......in todays nhl you really need two top pairings and rozsival and redden give you that

Old
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Jarmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I love it. Great signing. He was already getting 6 in Ottawa right? Thats a miracle in this days FA market.

This is not over, just a part of the plan. Has to be. Watch and be thankful!
He was getting the same exact salary in Ottawa, meaning if he plays like he did before getting that salary, he's worth it. I really think he will, too.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Hey guys, he's taking Malik's place!!! Doesn't that get anyone excited??
Good point, that's a huge upgrade.

Old
The Thomas J.*

I'm not happy aout this signing, this is one guy I was sure Sather would stay away from

He better preform night in & night out or he is gonne get it worse than Malik ever did, seriously the Fans will rip this guy apart.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Hes got an accurate shot from the point, and being a lefty shot, hopefully he and Roszival can set up one-timers galore on the PP points.

I'm really hoping he turns it around because i've always liked the guy. 6 years is hard to swallow though...

Lundqvist
Gomez
Drury
Redden
Rozsival
Staal

thats not terrible. they just need those one or two more pieces. More danger coming off the wings.
agreed....6 years is ok though because with all of the young talent coming up it will be ok and redden plays as an outlet passer who normally can kep going for a while as they normally dont take huge hits because they move the puck quickly

Old
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Ranger desperately needed leadership on the blueline. At the very least, Redden should provide that.
Great point. I also think there are facets of Reddens game that young Marc Staal already shows in his own play, and will continue to develop playing with him game in and game out.

Also Redden can QB our PP....

Old
07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Theres more to this plan boys....just wait

Ash

The point about this contract is this: If he can rediscover what made him arguably a top 10 defender, we're going to be OK with this contract.

If he plays like he has these past two seasons, this is a blow.

Old
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Lundqvist
Gomez
Drury
Redden
Rozsival
Staal

I'm wondering if this Redden signing & drafting DelZotto means Bobby Sangs is traded evantually.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I'm not happy aout this signing, this is one guy I was sure Sather would stay away from

He better preform night in & night out or he is gonne get it worse than Malik ever did, seriously the Fans will rip this guy apart.
i disagree....redden sticks up for his teammates, himself and the goalie....he may not be a legit fighter but he will drop the gloves which i will finally love to see from the defense.....he is a great leader and will score a ton of points.....cant wait to see what he and drury can do on the pp with drury tipping his shots

Old
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

i remember the rangers were very interested in redden before he signed his previous contract in ott.... so the guy had a down year, and we gave him a big contract... i'm still excited for him

Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
True

It's boggles my mind how they got Redden and Rozi and committed so much cash.........not sure if I like ti but when the PP has both of them on it I won't complain

I imagine Backman goes...........

So as of right now

Lundqvist
Wikman

Redden, Staal
Tyutin, Girardi
Rozsival, Backman, Potter

Their Forward lines really scare me though...........They would have to go with this in my eyes

------, Dubinsky, (Jagr?)
Dawes, Gomez Drury
Prucha, Rissimiler, Callahan
Sjostrom, Betts, Vorors, Jamtin............Orr, Hollweg

the 5 million on Rozi should of went to a Forward...........Trade him,haha
There's no way we have enough cap room to fill out a solid forward ensemble. The way it looks now IMO is...

Dawes - Gomez - ?
Korpikoski - Drury - Callahan
Rissmiller - Dubinsky - Prucha
Vorros - Betts - Orr

Dawes is nowhere near ready to accept a first line role, and won't be for a while IMO. Same goes for Korpikoski and Callahan, we really don't know if they're ready for second line responsibility. The teams forward lines are a crapshoot right now.

Old
Levitate

I think it's too much, but I'm not surprised. If everything pans out, the D is pretty dynamic and interesting, but Redden will have to pick his game up

The D is pretty ******* expensive, so I could see the Rangers making some trades, especially Backman

Old
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i disagree....redden sticks up for his teammates, himself and the goalie....he may not be a legit fighter but he will drop the gloves which i will finally love to see from the defense.....he is a great leader and will score a ton of points.....cant wait to see what he and drury can do on the pp with drury tipping his shots

I hope ur right, but I think this guy is done, we will be in cap hell for years to come.

Old
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Exactly. That was everyones problem during the season, including mine, so now its solved well.

Redden hasn't played the same since his mother died last season. Hopefully this can give him a new look and something to look forward to and jostle his spirits. If he plays well the NY Media will make him out to be a god.

Money wise, yea its steep, but I like the kid. Time to go get my Avery jersey re-stiched tho...

Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Great point. I also think there are facets of Reddens game that young Marc Staal already shows in his own play, and will continue to develop playing with him game in and game out.

The D gets big time strong

They HAVE to move Backman's 2.3 Cap hit and dump Orr and Hollweg and use that money on a Forward that comes cheap like Satan

and then Resign Jagr

This alo HAS to mean Drury moves to Gomez wing

Satan, Dubinsky, Jagr
Dawes, Gomez, Drury
Prucha, Rissimiller, Callahan
Sjostrom, Betts, Voros, Jamtin, Moore

If you really think about the way their F group sits it's a must

Old
KRM

6.5? *shudders*

Old
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Devil's advocate: it's a lot of money and years dedicated to a guy who you hope just needs a change of scenenary.
Fair point, SBoB. I can only assume that the research was done on the Rangers part to reduce as much risk as possible, but it is true that you can never be sure just what a player needs to find his game again. New York City is a whole different world than Ottawa. If I go solely by what Ottawa fans are saying, it sounds like a bad signing, but I feel compelled to believe that Sather has some clue as to what he is doing. But yes, the first thing I thought when I saw the dollar amount for that contract was yikes, that's a big contract for a player who has underperformed the last two seasons. And for a defenseman who isn't particularly big, I wonder about Redden being worn out physically after all these years in the league.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
NYR Viper

dawes-gomez-TRADE
sjostrom-drury-korpikoski
callahan-dubinsky-vorros
rissmiller-betts-byers/orr

Old
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Fair point, SBoB. I can only assume that the research was done on the Rangers part to reduce as much risk as possible, but it is true that you can never be sure just what a player needs to find his game again. New York City is a whole different world than Ottawa. If I go solely by what Ottawa fans are saying, it sounds like a bad signing, but I feel compelled to believe that Sather has some clue as to what he is doing. But yes, the first thing I thought when I saw the dollar amount for that contract was yikes, that's a big contract for a player who has underperformed the last two seasons. And for a defenseman who isn't particularly big, I wonder about Redden being worn out physically after all these years in the league.
I'm taking a wait and see approach to this move. I think he does bring leadership to a on the whole young defense, which the team sorely needed. I take comfort in the fact that other teams were willing to come close to this contract for him.

07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The one thing thats missing from the Redden deal though is him winning at least one cup.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think it's too much, but I'm not surprised. If everything pans out, the D is pretty dynamic and interesting, but Redden will have to pick his game up

The D is pretty ******* expensive, so I could see the Rangers making some trades, especially Backman

I think Backman will be waived. Which is too bad, I really felt he could develop into a decent defensemen.

Closed Thread